jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Can christianity be a cult?

1. 0
    Baileybearposted 6 years ago

I've received an emotional rant from family about my latest hubs (ex-christian etc).  Accusing me of blaming others, having a "stinking mind", defense of the bible and god etc

Can christianity be a cult?  Mind control etc.
    Is that why people don't admit they don't believe?  Is "coming out" as ex-believer not much different to "coming out" as homosexual?  Imagine the case of a homosexual in a religious family?

1. pisean282311 profile image58
      pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this

well most organized system are mind controls...it can be said as group reality...it takes too much confrontation ...

1. 0
        Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I was waiting for the sh!t to hit the fan.  I didn't formally announce to them of my deconversion, because over the years, I just got attacked, so figured they can read it like anyone else.   Felt strong enough to write it regardless of what they think.

I put the link to my recent hubs onto facebook (where a lot of christians found me and "befriended" me).  Family are getting phone calls about how "disturbing" my writing is - and family agree.

Got a big preaching rant full of emotionally charged crap

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

yes Bailey, it can if taken overboard become a cult. or seem like one.
      I walked away from a church for that very reason. it certinly can be so.

1. 0

they can't see past their own convictions which involve lies. What saddens me is that family etc think I am a bitter and twisted person, which I'm not and they can't help preach and rant and then try to say that I'm the one that is deranged.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
          dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

they do not know how to handle you. they are not sure what to tell you, so they fire out and insult, it's easy and think they can shame you back into line.

The fear of God thing. they think you have that inside and are just rebelling against them, a kid like behavior...they cannot see your really questioning it and that you have legit reasons for it.

1. 0

I try not to let it affect me anymore.  I get the blame.  I get accused of being a bad person etc.  Totally warped

1. Jerami profile image78
              Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not so much from family members but from friends and associates. I get the same reaction that you describe.

I still believe in God.  But I don't think that people are reading scripture to mean what is actually written.

2. Beelzedad profile image62
          Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have heard it argued that the only real difference between a religion and a cult is whether or not the leader is alive or dead.

To your own situation, it is very sad indeed when family members turn on their own in favor of their gods or their cults.

Funny how you're the one who is supposed to be deranged and twisted because you don't believe in invisible sky fairies. smile

2. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

3. 0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 6 years ago

Here we go!

1. Diane Inside profile image88
      Diane Insideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

kim you are too funny.

4. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

...of course it's a cult.
    Look up the definition of "cult."

5. 61
    exorterposted 6 years ago

a true Christian does not follow blindly' I have left a church because that was what they wanted, But that is not true Christianity, now days there are a lot of bad seeds every where, in the believers and non-believers,