If Jesus turns out to be the biggest Hoax ever...

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (68 posts)
  1. Estess profile image60
    Estessposted 15 years ago

Now don't get me wrong; I dont want to offend anyone here, but if Jesus is revealed to have been invented by the that time "people in power" to have control over the World, what would your reaction be? Just curious:)

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would still do the same.  that or total anarchy!  smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean "if"?

This is the only logical explanation. If you read and understand the bible that is. big_smile

As far as I am concerned, Jesus is a political construct and Jenny has a good hub showing that the whole idea of a god who died and then rose from the dead to give life to his people has been done before.

Old story stolen from other religions - A god who dies and comes back to life

1. profile image0
        DaMaGeD_GooDzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL! You should read  Welcome to Jesus Land. You'd love it.

I agree the whole Jesus bit has been played to death. To me Jesus was probably a real person with a wife and kids, that was killed because he was viewed as a heretic. I imagine the things he talked about were similar to Eastern philosophies.

Hey, wait a minute! If someone can be worshipped for having ideas and speaking out...where's my congregation? tongue

3. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The people in power killed Jesus,why would anyone make him up?For a fire there must be a spark.
      Regards
      Mohit

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

Not the people in power. The people who wanted to be in power made him up as a rallying point for the oppressed and lo and behold...... The Roman Catholic Church was born. No power there. big_smile

So by your standards, Zeus must have existed? For a fire there must be a spark, therefore Zeus was real? Along with the flying spaghetti monster?

1. Paraglider profile image88
          Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hang on Mark - your last ten words took about three hundred years to happen. Constantine was to Caesar as Bush is to George Washington, give or take the odd apple tree. The J-guy must have had some staying power!

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Nicely said paraglider.Truth defies time and Jesus was truth.Did you happen to see the picture in the dessert in the gulf war.People thought it was sandstorm and from far the storm took on the likeness of Jesus.He still exits forget had existed.Masters are beyond time.He is still saving souls.He has the power of god-indestructable and immortal.

2. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

Jesus (supposing he existed), is in my honest opinion a lot like Joan of Arc.  The Catholic Church lawfully represented by the Bishop of Beauvais (hope I spelt that right), excommunicated and then burned Joan of Arc at the stake for being a heretic.  The same thing essentially happened to Jesus by the religious authorities at the time.  Main difference in the two cases is that Joan of Arc did not become anything other than a Saint, which is more like a goddess in the pantheon of gods/goddesses in the catholic church, whereas Jesus became top dog.  It is ecclesiastical abuse and it has been going on for ages.

Guy/Gal comes along promotes a radical understanding of things that local ecclesiastical authorities of the time don't like, they try, torture and execute said person.  Said person eventually after a few hundred years gets exalted to God/Saints status and church in question says "See that person was good after all, oops we made a mistake!".  In the case of Jesus the early christian church claimed him instead of the Jews claiming him.

1. danieltetreault profile image67
      danieltetreaultposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So tell me, I am a little confused! Are you saying "Jesus (supposing he existed)" that you do NOT believe that he existed or that you DO NOT believe his claims. I find it hard that anyone would deny that Jesus actually lived and walked on earth.

Daniel Tetreault.

1. profile image0
        Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is some legitimate historically based doubt as to whether or not Christ ever existed, but that is not what I was referring to, as I used the words "(supposing he existed)".

2. TheCapn profile image61
        TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why would you find that hard? There's not exactly a lot of evidence supporting his existence and the Bible conveniently says that his physical body left earth to go to heaven which comes in handy if you can't find his remains. I myself am on the fence about the issue, I can't really say I think that he did or did not exist.

1. profile image0
          Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

They would find that hard because they are programmed for hellfire if they seriously think otherwise. 

"Whether considered as the God made human, or as man made divine, this character never existed as a person.

-Gerald Massey, Egyptologist and historical scholar (Gerald Massey's Lectures: Gnostic and Historic Christianity, 1900)"

"What one believes and what one can demonstrate historically are usually two different things.

-Robert J. Miller, Bible scholar, (Bible Review, December 1993, Vol. IX, Number 6, p. 9)"

"Even if there was a historical Jesus lying back of the gospel Christ, he can never be recovered. If there ever was a historical Jesus, there isn't one any more. All attempts to recover him turn out to be just modern remythologizings of Jesus. Every "historical Jesus" is a Christ of faith, of somebody's faith. So the "historical Jesus" of modern scholarship is no less a fiction.

-Robert M. Price, "Jesus: Fact or Fiction, A Dialogue With Dr. Robert Price and Rev. John Rankin," Opening Statement"

2. mohitmisra profile image60

One story goes he came and setlled in India Kashmir and his grave exists.

In India another debate is happening over Lord Ram -did he exist or was he a myth.They want to excavate a canal between Sri Lamka and India fro shippping but some do not want it as they say a historical bridge he made with Hanuman and the monkeys still exist.There is evidence of this bridge.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

Consider yourself introduced to some one who cheerfully denies that Jesus lived and walked the earth. If every thing else in the bible is patently false, why should this be accurate?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would base their life on anecdotal evidence from a 2,000 year old book that makes no sense smile

But feel free to show me some evidence and I will change my tune. My "belief" does not rest on faith - merely the little detail of absolutely no evidence.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Paragliger - Absolutely. The bible is one of my favorite stories. Talk about your perfect hero for the down trodden masses.

But during the intervening 300 years, the old Roman Empire made the huge mistake of persecuting and attempting to drive the Christians into the dirt.

Massive mistake. On a par with Hitler invading Russia.

And it is arguable that the Roman church was actually formed by Peter and Paul. As far as I recall, the Catholic church claimed Peter was the first bishop so it just took 300 years to come to power. Not 300 years before it was formed.

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think that is based on JC's calling Simon the fisherman by the name Peter, the rock on which I will build my church. i.e. I think the Roman church retrospectively adopted Peter, and of course later claimed apostolic succession, by which the Popes inherited Peter's 'mantle'. There have been some pretty shocking popes along the way though!

4. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Something I touched upon in my 2000-years-in-2000-words Hublove entry, paraglider  - http://hubpages.com/hub/Religion-And-Politics - some shockers indeed. Including the point at which there were three Popes simultaneously, all fielding armies to back their claims.

5. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

The Borgias weren't the holiest of popes, for example!

6. Mark Knowles profile image58

Typical warmongering zealots most of them smile

The only decent thing to come out of the Roman Church is also the only piece of artwork I genuinely think shows 100% genius or divine inspiration if you want to call it that lol

Lets hear it for Pope Julius II

http://proprietedeluxe.fr/wp-content/uploads/Rome_Sistine_Chapel.jpg

7. SparklingJewel profile image65
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

Its not the man that matters...its the Christ consciousness that he exampled and tried to relay to others as something they could attain as well.

8. Inspirepub profile image73

Well said, Sparkling Jewel.

I see many people studying and arguing about the superfluous detail (like whether Jesus was 100% human or partly Divine) completely ignoring the true message.

I see others who do not even call themselves Christian who have studied and understood what Jesus was saying far better than most so-called "Christians" have.

I agree - the message is important, the messenger is not.

Jenny

9. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Then where would his followers stand.

1. SparklingJewel profile image65
      SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

the followers are following a path of Christhood that Jesus holds the standard for; sets the example for, but is not to be worshiped for. It is an internalization of his example, not an idolatrous bowing to him as the man, but an honoring of the  attainment, recognizing the vision of where they as the individual can go.

that is the mystery...for an individual to understand how to love the God in humanity without putting idolatrous worship on the human.

I have seen followers standing all over the place...it is an individual and subjective walk with God, not a join the crowd walk

10. lenkasvec profile image60
    lenkasvecposted 15 years ago

I can´t agree that only the message is important and not the messanger. Imagine, that you had no parents but you would be said all the things parents say to their children and you would be shown all the things parents show their children. I strongly doubt that you would internalize that message. What makes us all follow our parents´ example is the love bond that we have with them. And it´s the same with Jesus. He doesn´t need to be worshiped or loved - He is Love. But He knows that only when we love Him we can actually follow Him and thus live a meaningful life. We need Him - His love and help, otherwise we can get pretty lost. For me, true saints are quite a proof of Jesus and His Divinity - take, for example, the case of Marta Robin (not an official saint yet, as she died only in 1981) but how else could you explain her life - with no food and not a drop of water for several decades, living mysteriously only thanks to wafer that she took in every day, but even that not really, as she could not swallow anything. And there are many other examples.

1. SparklingJewel profile image65
      SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

after I said what I said in my previous post, about the messenger not being important, yes, I did start thinking about that. Not that I disagree with what I said, but that I ADD to it, by saying that the example, is important.

To me Jesus is like a big brother, that I can look to, look up to and count on...but beyond that human brother concept. I believe in the living Christ and can ask Jesus to come into me heart and raise me up...beyond the human fears, pains and doubts.

When I am in a state of acceptance of myself in God, its like I stand next to Jesus, the angels and saints...all of us as God, part of God, in God. But when I am in  the human consciousness of need, fear, pain, doubt, I do ask and accept that I need to ask Jesus for his presence to come into me.

I have this relationship with many saints and ascended beings of many religions of the world.
      I love Mother Mary and Kuan Yin...when I need a mother sense of support I ask them to fill me. Jesus is my "biggest" brother! Angels are my sisters and brothers, helpers when I am in need of help. Maitreya has been a father, Padre Pio a father. When I feel incomplete as the family within, I call forth my Holy Family aspects of God to fill me.

To me this is the fulfillment of the verse, "except you become as a little child, you will not enter into the Holy of Holies" !

I understand what you are saying.You are there.smile

11. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

Whether Jesus was a hoax or not has no bearing on my life or philosophies. smile

But, even if someone came up with irrefutable proof of Jesus being a hoax, it would still be refuted by Christians. Belief outweighs logic to a lot of people. They would see it as a test from God of their faith and would still believe 100% in Jesus.

So it's kind of a moot point IMHO. wink

(And I'm of the belief that it is truth not the messenger that's important. "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." "Don't Mistake the Finger Pointing at the Moon for the Moon.")

big_smile

Dont kill anyone and its dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss out on the beauty of the moon.smile
      When they say kill the Buddha it means is pay more attention to the message than the person.Similarly one bows to the spirit of an enlightened one which is also in him and has yet to discover.The namaste or greeting in Indian tradition means one is bowing to the spirit of the other person.smile

12. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

'When they say kill the Buddha it means is pay more attention to the message than the person.' There is a sect of Buddhism which plays up the concept of 'If you meet the Buddha slay him.' To me means there
    should be no authority outside oneself.

1. profile image0

right!  change has to start with yourself.  smile

I listen to the signs the messages and thats why I bacame a poet.Whenever you or anyone else wrote well I acknowldged it and did not ridicule it.Our petty squabbles are nothing in front of the truth.The finger pointing to the moon,this took me years to understand.I am and have been a martial arts freak and I came across this line in a Bruce Lee movie and just didnt understand the meaning for a very long time.Now its so clear to me.smile

1. profile image0

I have done the same, and I love Bruce Lee!  smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Well, we have something in common. Who is your Sensei and what have you studied?

1. R. Martin Basso profile image68
            R. Martin Bassoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

For me it was Sensei Wada Isau, in San Jose California.  6 years Shotokahn Serenji Ru.

Sensei Dr Reza Sazegari, dual taekwondo and karate.Kan zan ryo style a new style.Have done upto 8 kue -10kue is black belt which he has given one person in 20 years of teaching.He was the all India champion twice and runner up once.Unfortunately he went back to Iran and everything stopped.What about you?
            We also have something else in  common-I also love my beer.smile

Never heard of him. Post a link please - I would like to see him in action. smile

Myself, Iwama style Aikido 3rd dan Chiba sensei, Ralph Reynolds sensei, Roger Tabberer sensei and Saito sensei.  2nd dan wado ryu Karate early until I discovered Aikido.

Taught it for years until the politics became unbearable.

Awesome.wow wow wow He is more known in India and Iran.Dont have any of his videos.

Do you have any videos of yours I can see?

The awesome is for both you and him.smile

The message from the Buddha will synchronise with your innner authority.God is in as well as outside you.The master will try and trigger the master within you with his message.smile

13. mightyone profile image40
    mightyoneposted 15 years ago

But does anyone really understand the Bible or are you all trying to dismiss what would undoubtedly bound you?

I understand the bible perfectly well.

It is a political tool and most certainly not the word of god. But if you have some insights that are different to the usual, "You are all wrong, I have the REAL interpretation that only makes sense if you already believe," go right ahead.

Nice username by the way. Not boastful or arrogant in any way whatsoever. big_smile

And I think you meant "bind."

Saint Mark, AIPP, CMT, Prophet of Roddenberry and all round good guy.

14. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

If Jesus turns out to be a hoax, it won't really matter will it?  The believers and non-believers all end up worm food no matter what they did Sunday mornings and holidays while alive.

It only matters if Jesus  ISN'T a hoax, at which point  Christianity becomes something like insurance for your soul.

15. Nathanael profile image66
    Nathanaelposted 15 years ago

Thanks for being my fan mohitmistra. Got to run! we will talk though. Grace & Peace.

16. R. Martin Basso profile image68
    R. Martin Bassoposted 15 years ago

Religion.
    Abortion.
    Homosexuality.

3 Topics guaranteed to start a fight.

Only the 1st smile

If you take #1 out, the other 2 are moot.

17. SparklingJewel profile image65

and the topic of this thread is... ?  big_smile

18. Mark Knowles profile image58

I had my wrist broken by a Japanese sensei who was 5 foot 2 and weighed about 1/3 rd of what I do. smile That convinced me to switch from Karate to Aikido - many years ago.

I cannot find any videos - most of my exploits were pre-internet and video, but I am sure you will find me some where if you look me up on google.

I tried to find your sensei - no luck.

I was in the Merchant Navy when I joined my class around nineteen.Quite tough I thought I was coming from the ship. Then in my first or second class my friend a short guy Iranian asked me to punch him ten times in the stomach,I did then he punched me once and I was on the floor.He was only an orange belt ha! .Aagin its something in life unless you dont do you will never really understand.Should I search with sensei Mark Knowles or Mark Knowles?

India maybe very advanced with computers and software guys but at the same time we are years behind in general where the comp and the internet is concerned.I doubt his videos,demos or fights are posted on the net.smile I cannot recall who but someone on hubpages said you get a day year old baby or something like that on google search.In India if you say that you will be laughed at.smile

Wow you are seriously trained not to be messed with .smile

Ha! Long time ago - Now I am old and fat as has been mentioned smile

ha!  will take you on in spiritual matters not physically.wink

When you understand that they are one and the same, you will be truly enlightened. wink

hahahahahhahaha
                  If I am not mistaken the inventor of aikido claimed enlightenment.

Will still try wink

19. Mark Knowles profile image58

I haven't taught in years so I have no idea - I have never looked lol. .

20. Mark Knowles profile image58

Morehei Ueshiba claimed to be able to dodge bullets, but not enlightenment smile

I never met the man but have had the privelege of training with his son and three of his most well-known pupils. Enlightened? He would have laughed at the idea - and charged you accordingly smile

No I read about him.After a dual he claimed to have been engulfed by the light-satori.Anyways all martial arts end result is enlightenment.wow you trained with his son cool.Dodging bullets is more atributed to moving as the gunman presses the trigger.Martial arts is dynamic meditation.smile
      Seen one picture where he is holding the end of a long stick with one hand and there are six or seven people  trying to push it down-madness.

Bye for now enjoy your weekend ,will battle you after.Going to use my spiritual powers on you and make you a believer.wink I am going to enjoy my weekend as I am happy my rankings have improved more now over Paulo Coehlo book As Valkirias.

21. TheCapn profile image61
    TheCapnposted 15 years ago

I made a bet with a former neighbor of mine 5 years ago about something in Revelation. I think it had something to do with a 100 million man army marching against Israel. I forget what the timetable was, I think it would have to happen at least before 2010. Basically I'm saying if Jesus turns out to be a hoax I'll win $500 sometime in the next couple years.

22. Inspirepub profile image73

My position is that is you really understand Christ's message, you won't care whether the actual man existed or not.

If you think it is important that he actually existed, you are missing the point.

If you can't imagine anyone NOT believing that Jesus existed, you are sadly, sadly, spiritually lost.

The man Jesus Christ is like Wittgenstein's ladder - once you have climbed the ladder, you can cast it away.

Jenny

23. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Wouldn't matter to someone of faith no doubt. But for the scientifically minded, people who are attributed with powers of virgin birth, and rising from the dead, salvation from eternal sin - just for those who believe, and everyone born sinful and not stupid, cannot by default garner the necessary concensus for friction free societies, except as enforced by threat of damnation and force of arms. In secular societies agreement is supposed to be based on the science of universal provability as the standard of truth, from which there arises objective standards for agreement. Except when it comes to the universe being shrunk to the size of a basketball.

24. Inspirepub profile image73

Science is also like Wittgenstein's ladder.

When you truly understand the implications of quantum mechanics,scientific method becomes no more important than the historical man Jesus.

Both are merely rungs on ladders.

The ladders start in different places, but if you follow them all the way, they arrive in the same place.

And that place is not the standard Christian understanding of the universe.

Nor is it the pure materialist linear-time understanding of the universe based on classic physics.

There is a higher-order reality in which the two can co-exist harmoniously as equivalent states of ignorance.

I know dedicated Christians and atheist Physics professors who have more in common with one another than they do with most of their peers.

They are the ones who get it.

Jenny

25. SparklingJewel profile image65

Mohit said: One story goes he came and settled in India Kashmir and his grave exists.

Yes, I read that after his resurrection he went (in his "New" body) to live in India, married and had children and died (finally) at the age of 82. As the stories go of Eastern adepts, that is not too far fetched.
    But because no one wants to believe it in the West, no one will go investigate to prove one way or the other. It is just easier to call it an "evil lie" and ignore it. After all, it would rock everybody's world a bit too much smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)