jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

Is eternal life concept manifestation of age old desire of immortality

1. pisean282311 profile image59
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

In old religions there are many stories about humans trying to get powers to become immortal. Question which i have is heaven or eternal life product of such thought considering humans do think in that fashion since thousands of years?

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think that fear of dying is where man created the notion of an immortal human spirit that lives eternally after death with all the conciousness and memories of life on Earth retained. this is a pagan concept adopted by the church and results in the idea that sinners immedaitely go to Hell and 'Christians' go to Heaven.

Not so. If we accept the idea that God intended man to live forever on Earth before Adam and Eve first sinned, then the immortal human spirit is redundant. God said that they would die and so they did. If man is essentially immortal spirit living in a human body, then God is a liar.

God creates man in His image but that does not mean we are made of the same stuff. He is spirit, man is flesh and flesh alone. Both the old and the new testaments are abundantly clear, that when we die, we go and 'sleep' in our graves until a future resurection with immortal fleshly bodies.

pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this

so eternal life concept is myth according to you?

As I said in my last paragraph, eternal life is only possible when we put on the incorruptable flesh at the resurection. Until the resurection, eternal life is not possible. The myth is the idea we are gods/spirit beings living inside material homo sapiens bodies. This idea I believe is unbiblical. I have written a hub about it, but I can't advertise that here.

but doesn't bible preach eternal life...have come across many bible believers and promoters who use this as key points..

Jesus said Jesus “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;  and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."

and also

For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

That is we will die, but if we believe in Him we will live again after the resurection, and then never die again.

2. Jerami profile image78
            Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just for the purpose of playing devils advocate...
               What if the opposite is true!

What if we ARE of the substance of eternal life and death is only possible when we put on a physical body??

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The concept of eternal life is a natural concept which begin in each from a child.

For it is still a natural desire in mankind to make a thing better unto perfection.

Many believe it is mere the product of religious thinking, not understanding that the concept was there even before religion as we know it.

Those who claim to be without religion still believe in this concept even though they may speak against it.

If it was not so why there would be the need to prolong the life of oneself or even of another (their children)

Perfection is "Eternal"** life..

Where ever, who ever, what so ever death reigns over is imperfect.

For death is the ultimate imperfection. 

** Life in the true sense is eternal therefore the word eternal is used to differentiate between the Life of God and the life of this world which is actually death.

i agree that idea is natural..i dont dispute that..but manifestation of idea is through concept of eternal life , heaven and such things?

1. kess profile image60
          kessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Heavenly concepts are concepts belonging to eternity. outside the concept of time which is a mixture of Life and death over which death reigns.

It should be expected that all who desires to build theirown  kingdom would use the perfect, which is Life  as it example while at the same time hiding the True Life.

As you can conclude you either building one or the other. Life or Death.

working