jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

The New Testament gospels

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

Most of us are aware that Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were not the only followers, Apostles to have written Gospels or Epistles. Judas, Mary Magdelane, Thomas, Andrew, even Mary the Mother of Jesus, and others wrote Gospels, that have been transcribed. Why is it these writings were not included in the original writings of the Holy Bible nor have they been submitted as additional "Biblically" Approved and or authorized scriptural readings? I believe this would give us a more complete knowledge of Jesus, His life and time, and possibly shed light upon questions left unanswered.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Would it be better to know if the original gospels were written by the people who claim to have written them in the first place? hmm

About 40+ years ago, handwriting analysis was taken on many scriptures- and the results were astounding.

A few of the scriptures were written identical to one another, not because those people were actually there when it was said, but copied from one to another.

Many of the gospels were written many decades after Jesus was executed, because the disciples were waiting for Jesus' return, which actually never happened. The disciples began to die off without ever writing down what they learned.

Just a thought.

1. luvpassion profile image60
      luvpassionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

How do you know the people that transcribed the gospels weren't honest men Mr. Cagsil...really, look for the good in man and consider the possibility of honesty in the world. (((hug))) big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey Luv,

Nice to see you and I do see the good in people. However, when you are talking about that ERA of people- You must be kidding? hmm

3. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

Hi Dave, my knowledge of Christian history is very minimal, but I think one of the reasons that certain gospels have not been included in the new testament is that these gospels have promoted different ideas/beliefs about Jesus, Christianity, the relationship to God, etc that seemed way out of the mainstream.  An attempt to have some consensus to Christian doctrine was the Council of Nicea.  This was when the church elders decided to sift through material that so many people were promoting as Christianity - what they came up with was the Nicene creed in an attempt to define the core beliefs of Christianity.