jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Out of the Closet, in the Pulpit

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
    Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

A few weeks ago, Bishop Jim Swilley sat down in front of his congregation at Church in the Now near Atlanta to get a few things off his chest.

"There are two things in my life that are an absolute," the megachurch pastor told his flock. "I did not ask for either one of them, both of them were imposed upon me, I had no control over either of them.  One was the call of God on my life... and the other thing ... was my sexual orientation."

Jim Swilley — a twice-married father of four, a man who comes from a long line of evangelical preachers — revealed a secret he'd been holding onto most of his life:

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/14/131312723 … s-20101121

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...good for him...hopefully his flock understand and don't beat him down for standing up for himself....some will, some won't, I guess.....

2. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 6 years ago

I admire him for 'coming out'. It would be interesting to know the consequences.

3. brotheryochanan profile image59
    brotheryochananposted 6 years ago

"I did not ask for either one of them, both of them were imposed upon me, I had no control over either of them.  One was the call of God on my life... and the other thing ... was my sexual orientation.

and obviously the third thing he didn't count on was God wanting to change him from his sexual orientation. I didn't read the article. I assume this is homoetceterality.

The christians know unnatural affection is wrong. The atheists will never admit it.

2 things are obvious:
           God may have called him but God did not have say in his life.
           God had a backseat in the relationship and this pastor should have stepped down long ago.

Nuff said.

working