Let's Talk Judaism

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (21 posts)
  1. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

We've heard so much from, for and against Christianity and Islam.  I'm curious to know if there is anyone out there who has some insight into the mysterious Judaism.  Jews tend to keep to themselves and I have never met a Jewish person who was not self-confident, intelligent, and down to earth.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My husband is Jewish by birth. I am Jewish by conversion

2. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couture:
      it's just the 1st 5 books of the bible i.e. the pentateuch.
      Moses alledgedly wrote it...who knows?
      To me it's just another silly journey into the fiction of monotheism.
      Qwark        :-)

1. profile image0

It's called the Tanakh

1. livelonger profile image86
          livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Gospel of the Hebrews, Revelations, etc are part of the Christian Bible only, not part of the Jewish canon of holy books.

However, beyond the Torah (Pentateuch) there is the rest of the Tanakh (Nevi'im and Ketuvim), the enormous Talmud, Midrash, Zohar, and various Responsa.

1. profile image0

The Gospel of the Hebrews is a Jewish writings and is not in the Christian Bible.

Revelations is a writing from Jewish Mysticism and is called the Torat ha Sod In the Hebrew tongue

Gospel of the Hebrews: I had to look it up - not part of the Christian Bible either, you're right. But it is a book of the Jewish Christians only, not among Jews who do not consider Jesus the Messiah.

Revelations: I thought you meant the Christian New Testament book. I don't know about Torat ha Sod but all the online links are all from Jewish Christians, too.

2. qwark profile image61
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...yep! All a inane journey into the fiction of monotheism.
          Qwark

3. profile image0

2. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

I'm Jewish - a relatively recent convert (about a year ago).

There's nothing mysterious about Judaism - the religion is completely open, anyone can attend a Jewish service, and there are plenty of resources available online - it's just that don't most non-Jews don't care to learn much about it.

1. profile image0

2. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are correct livelonger, it is more a way of life rather than anything else. Anyone can be Jewish, just not all are born Jewish (I was born to a Jewish Mother, therefore I am Jewish). I have heard it is tons of hard work and reading to convert, did you find this to be the case for you?

I converted Reform, and it took about a year. It involved reading a book on Jewish history, taking classes in Judaism, and meeting with a rabbi regularly. I didn't have to learn Hebrew or really any of the liturgical processes.

I've continued to take classes and read; I find the topic fascinating, personally. smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
          K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Outstanding. Good for you. Never stop learning! Bot Shalom~

3. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

I'm not Jewish (I was brought up Christian and now I'm not religious at all), but I have known Jewish and Muslim people throughout my life and I never dedected any type of judgment or discrimination from any of them. I repect that and they keep to themselves, unlike the Christians I know including few of my relatives. Although Christianity and Islam were spawned from Judism, the Christians (not all but a few out there) are the worst out of the three when it comes to being predudice, passing judment on thers, and pressing their beliefs on others.

I can't speak for the Muslims and their beliefs, but Jews do not believe that we have a monopoly on the truth, or that Judaism is the only path to righteousness. As long as you're a good person, you're fine with us (no matter what your beliefs or lack of beliefs are), and you don't have to be Jewish to be a good person.

This extends to beliefs about the afterlife. Although there are various interpretations and feelings about it, Jews generally believe that everyone ends up in "olam haba" (the world to come).

1. profile image50
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Truth is with the Creator-God Allah YHWH; except Him nobody has monopoly on it.

Truth has to be proved

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.

4. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

I think that this quote from Elie Wiesel sums it all up when he was asked what it meant to be a Jew  ..

"I still believe that to be Jewish today means what it meant yesterday and a thousand years ago. It means for the Jew in me to seek fulfillment both as a Jew and as a human being. For a Jew, Judaism and humanity must go together. To be Jewish today is to recognize that every person is created in the image of God and that our purpose in living is to be a reminder of God."

In Judaism there is the Torah which contains the 5 Books of Moses
    Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy

Tanakh is the body of scripture known to non-Jews as the Old Testament and to Jews as the Tanakh or Written Torah
    Torah (the Law)
    Nevi'im (the Prophets),
    Kethuvim (the Writings)

The Chumash comes from the Hebrew word meaning five, and refers to the five books of the Torah. It is here that we find the Torah divided up by the weekly parshiyot, with the haftarah portion inserted after each week's parshah.

In addition to the Torah which is the written law, we have the Talmud which is the oral law and explains what the scriptures mean and how to interpret them and apply the Laws.
    And then there is the Mishna which is the the name for the sixty-three tractates

We also have mystical tradition, known as Kabbalah. The primary written work in the Kabbalistic tradition is the Zohar.

I've learned a LOT about Jewish holidays via your Hubs, Shari. smile

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
        wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

live -
        you know that always makes me smile  . and like you I am always learning smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)