jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Don't animals hurt?

1. thirdmillenium profile image71
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

Any living being feels pain. And, all living beings have life. How did God allow, even encouraged,  HURTING and killing them for human's nourishment and culinary enjoyment?

Or, don't animals or their sufferings count in God's scheme of things? If so, is there any justification in the bible?

1. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Didn't god give man dominion over all living things?

There's the problem in a nutshell. smile

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

You might also extend the range of this debate to include insects and plants.  These, too, have life and an inherant desire to hang on to life.

1. thirdmillenium profile image71
      thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if this is in jest but we don't kill insects to eat them. Except for pests, we don't wantonly kill insects. I think killing animals for their meat is wanton.
      It is the unique taste of the meat that draws us towards it. We don't care for their sufferings.

I hope I made myself clear

1. pennyofheaven profile image82
        pennyofheavenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am not sure it is not caring, perhaps it is lack of awareness? Needless suffering is for sure not a good thing and usually occurs when we take far more than we need.

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
        AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Many cultures do eat insects as a regular part of their diet, especially in the East or in African countries. 

The need for protein is also an attraction to meat, the human body being designed to eat meats as well as vegetables.  Animals which eat only vegetables have a slightly different digestive system to those which eat more widely.

Many people feel that farm animals could be treated more kindly, and that intensive farming methods are degrading to fowl and cattle, and that transportation and slaughtering could be more humane.  The problem is that most of these people also are unwilling or unable to pay the much higher prices which result from using more humane - free range - methods of farming.

3. pennyofheaven profile image82
    pennyofheavenposted 6 years ago

It is a cycle of life.  Except for the Herbivores (think thats what they are called) animals kill other animals to survive it is the most natural thing for an animal.  Even a herbivore is killing plants etc.

Just as winters blanket destroys many things there is much usefulness in its actions. Beneath the wintery blanket many life forms within mother natures womb are preparing there emergence into the newness of spring.

Whether we are vegetarians or meat eaters. Life force is being taken.

1. Castlepaloma profile image23
      Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not that much justice in nature too.

Gladly nature doesn't have judge and jury. It can definitely right itself especially when out of balance. I have often wondered why Africa is not as prolific in animals and nature surrounds as it use to be?

1. Castlepaloma profile image23
          Castlepalomaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, people are always wanting justice, and accept or understanding justice when I observe how nature works. I learn how to shield from human predators at all the times, also  from all these wild adventures I  survived from.

Only have one cracked finger nail to show for it.

Human predators...interesting way of putting it but then I suppose thats what we are when we hunt for our food. When we grow our food however what is that called?

Oh not the nail, you know that can be devastating to a woman!

4. 0
    Toby Hansenposted 6 years ago

Of course animals and their feelings are important. All living things feel pain and suffering. It is our duty to protect and care for the animals. Ever heard of Noah? Even I know about the ark, and I am not a Christian.

working