jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Christmas tree?

1. Onusonus profile image86
    Onusonusposted 6 years ago

Was Jeremiah against christmas trees?
    Jeremiah 10- 2: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
    3: For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
    4: They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

1. pennyofheaven profile image82
      pennyofheavenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Could very well have been, since Christmas trees were discouraged till around the 19th century? Not sure why because apparently doing this in the winter solstice was symbolizing hope and the promise of new life in the spring. Personally can't see how that is viewed as vain.

1. Onusonus profile image86
        Onusonusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

honestly I think somone was reading a little too far into what he was saying. It seems to me that The old testament prophets were always railing against false Idols and in their day they happened to be made out of wood, and other materials. Isaiah, in many instances, makes similar declarations about things made with people's hands and aftewards worshiping these inaminent objects.
        Christmass trees, not realy in the same ballpark in my opinion.

1. pennyofheaven profile image82
          pennyofheavenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes I do agree. Perhaps  in these instances they were making "things" more important than those inner things we should place more importance on. Like sharing giving and loving kinda thing.  If they place more importance on the "things" rather than the symbolism that they represent then it would make sense it was not approved of or discouraged.

working