jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

What influence does Christianity have on modern society?

1. L a d y f a c e profile image84
    L a d y f a c eposted 5 years ago

In what ways does Christianity influence modern society, and the political world?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It keeps a moral compass in place, protects mankind from going totally off the deep end, offers them hope that no other concept will offer them, challenges them to a higher standard.

1. pisean282311 profile image59
        pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

to pass any judgment that no other concept can offer what x,y,z can offer ...one must be well versed with other concepts...till then judgment is more on assumption than being unbiased...

2. pennyofheaven profile image82
      pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

None that I know of in our country. It is a personal thing and is usally kept within the families or denominations.

3. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Too much and it's becoming detrimental to the survival of the human species. wink

1. pisean282311 profile image59
        pisean282311posted 5 years ago in reply to this

well it did have its utility in past and so did other religions..yes in current world where all humans are interacting and world is becoming too small place ...we can't have "my way" or highway theme...guess it is just matter of time before religion takes its actual place and that is in private domain...

1. Cagsil profile image83
          Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't even think it would survive in private domain. The Conscious Mind already is being to see through such mystic hoaxes.

The more people realize that they have no need for a god, because they truly understand that their life is in their control, then "religion" such as those that are thriving today will just simply die out.

4. kess profile image60
      kessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It help to perpetuate and preserve the consciousness of sin across the globe.

Though they do cry out against sin , they yet fail to see that
      the sins they cry out against were created by they themselves.

Nevertheless, their blindness is the darkness which causes the
      Spark, that would be the light of Life for many.

5. Me, Steve Walters profile image78
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is all around you...why do you think people bring it up on the Forums here...day after day!

2. Pandoras Box profile image82
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

Christianity failed modern society, threw a fit in the process, teamed up with conservatives in an ever-failing attempt to tell everyone else how to live, clung to outdated beliefs, lied about its past and present, and now modern society knows once and for all that christianity is bunk.

But it will keep trying to regain the power it has long since lost.

3. literarychimp profile image60
    literarychimpposted 5 years ago

Christianity has influence, but 1) Is it "Christianity", or just social teaching/cultural prejudice dressed up as religion. 2) Is it positive? I would tend to answer in the negative for the latter. Christianity, or the caricature version we get, seems perfectly compaible with all types of human iniquity and failing.

4. raisingme profile image90
    raisingmeposted 5 years ago

It plays the same role that it has since it was founded - it gives mankind the justification to visit harm upon its fellow mankind.  Hardly the message that was delivered but sadly it is what has predominantly played out through history.  More wars have been fought on religious grounds than for any other 'reason' (and I use the word 'reason' very loosely here).  It is interesting that ALL religions contain within them the "Golden Rule" and yet it is the one rule that ALL religions find an excuse to justify fragmenting beyond recognition.  With the exception perhaps of Buddhism.  Not that it hasn't been at the receiving end of some nasty 'justifications'!

It is time, past time, that we all grow up and take responsibility for ourselves and each other.  I know that as a parent on the rare occasions that my children have fought it tears me apart - it makes me wonder at the pain we are causing our common Parent!

5. Flightkeeper profile image80
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

The enormity of Christian influence on the modern world can't be measured.  I don't think I would even know where to start.

6. Paul Wingert profile image79
    Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago

People will have morals with or without religion of any kind. Christianity isn't no moral than any other religion and happens to be one of the worst when it comes to prejudice and judgemental. By removing Christianity, and all other religions
    out of modern society will have no negative effect.