WHO IS A CHRISTIAN?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 108 discussions (350 posts)
  1. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Its good  to hear that you atleast accepted it as "Possibly".As you called prophecy teacher a war monger,i read that thread,wanted to reply but most people there liked to see that thread sinking down and not pulled again.Thats nothing.

At this time of the era the biggest enemies of Jews are Zionists and the biggest enemies of Christians (especially USA state) are again Zoinists or jews,NOT the muslims.Hard to believe?

Again i say that was not the error of Ally,its up to Mike to present the scriptures from the Bible,and he deliberately didn't like to put forward as on different forums that has been addressed by many muslim scholars.

2. Andrew0208 profile image56
    Andrew0208posted 15 years ago

WHO IS A CHRISTIAN? This thread was inspired and brought up to bring to light the realities of a Christian. A Christian is one with a regenerated human spirit with the nature of LOVE and FORGIVES anyone including non Christians! He/She has eternal life in Christ already. The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ have made him/her righteous and supernatural, having God's dynamic ability(Dunamis) to cause positive changes in all things.
    Andrew.

3. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

That is a nice thought Andrew.

Dunamis or dynamis (Greek δυναμις) is an Ancient Greek word meaning "power" or "force".

Mike

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

I do have a question about Muhammad.  Why is Muhammad the "exhaulted" on in Muslim beliefs, yet they say that he is only a prophet, as Jesus is only a prophet or a messanger?

I am asking because, what did he do?  Jesus did a lot of stuff, and Abraham, and Noah, and Isaiah, and Solomon, they did a lot of good things.  What did Muhommad do? 

I hope it is not offensive that I ask this question, but I am very curious.  From what I had read in the Qu'ran, he didn't really do much except to encite people to "fight" in the name of God. 

Now, from talking to some Islamic friends down the Mosque,  they said to me that the ones who are fighting, violently in the name of Allah are wrong to do what they are doing and that is not what Muhammad meant. 

Also, from my reading according to the Qu'ran, anything done with hatered in the heart is not a Godly act. 

Certainly I don't think it is fair that a Christain can say Muhammad is bad or evil, but I also don't think it is fair to say that Jesus is not God's first spiritual creation. 

I have heard many muslims say, "what use is there for God to have a son?"  So when I think about this, I think that 1) We are all God's (creations or sons/daughters what have you) made up from the same origin (God, Allah, Jehovah, Yehweh) or simpley Earth the Universe...take it as far back as you want to, we are still here, you dig?

So then why is it not possible that the Spirit of Jesus was deemed The Son of God, or as my brother likes to put it...The Soul of God.  In which case the soul being the body or the breath of life, and 2) only begotten, why would it be so hard to believe that Jesus' spirit was alive in the beginning and learned from God, whether God was an entity that could literally be seen or not, it doesn't matter.  The point would be that he felt something, something that he knew for sure and equated that to God, the Father, the Creator, the One who gives the Breath of LIfe to the Soul.

Also, I think it is a little obserd that Islam can follow the Bible and the Koran but disregard the nature of Jesus as He was given a tittle and that is His name so why take it away? 

Who was Muhammod?  I wouldn't change his name either, you dig?  Just for learnings sake, or to play devils advocate, it seems to me that Muhammad was jealous.  I personally don't deny that he was given the vision and that he plays a very important role in our lives and that what he was called to do, he was called to do for a reason, even if that reason was to encite war or whatever in the name of God, so that what was written could be done. 

No skin off my back really, but regardless of the nature of propehcy,  why wouldn't anyone try to stop it?  Even if there was no chance in hell that we or anyone could change the outcome of tatal destruction etc.  why wouldn't we try? 

If all religon seeks peace and wants peace, why try so hard to do the opposite?  (not at all saying that only Muslims do this or only Catholics or Christains etc.)  We struggle continuosly for the same things and yet we end up doing the opposite. 

Maybe it comes from the lofty nature of humanity.  I mean the need to be right.  Few say in their relgions, that I could be wrong because that would mean to you that you are not faithful or something.  Am I wrong? 

Some would rather die than be humilliated or found wrong.  Some would rather take out a group of innocent people than stand up to thier oppressors and do what is right. Why is that?  Why be so afraid of doing what is right againts what you know is wrong. 

I mean, you know it is wrong to muder,  you know it is wrong to let people starve, yet people can somehow find a way to justify it.  Why?  There is no justification for murder, murder being to kill with hatred in the heart.  Why? 

What justice is there in killing innocent people just to get back at one or a few?  Do you think it makes it better?  Do you think the killing stops this way?  If in fact some are just too blind to see or even some Christains still have it in thier minds that an eye for an eye is good or just. 

In fact this is not true,  I do believe I am right when I say, that Jesus said that we are not to take and eye for an eye or a leg for leg, or howeve the saying went.  There is not justice in that. 

So my original question, what did Muhammad do?

1. Eng.M profile image65
      Eng.Mposted 15 years agoin reply to this

[1]
      1- he called for one God(the creator).
      2-he said that all people with all colours are equal.
      3-he used to help poor people & love everyone(even beofre islam).
      4-he stopped many bad things people used to do like buring new born girls.

[2]
      about his wars:
      *the first war(BADOR) , muslims attacked Makkah people , who stole their money as they became muslims, Mohammed attacked these people because he wanted to strengthen his army to convey his message.
      so he didn't attack innocent people.
      *next wars were conducted either to defend muslims or to spread the message(as some ruleres refused to convey the message and insisted in keeping their believes without trying to understand)

[3]
      we can say that we are God's sons as we came from him.
      we have similar caharcteristics to him but we are separated individuals controlled by him.
      to say that Jessus can't be the son of God means that he was just like us with no extradinory nature except for the power given to him by God to make people believe.
      I mean, what do you mean by saying that a man lived hundareds years ago was a god or son of god or he and god was one?

[4]
      finally, killing innocent people to revenge or to worship God is completely unacceptable from normal minds.
      prophet Mohammed asked his followers to leave any innocent man(not fighting) praying in his temple or a woman or a child. he even asked them not to cut any tree when they invade a place.
      his intention from attacking some places was to defend poor people there and to let them know the message.

actually Mohammed was and still the perfect man on earth.
      weak with poor and in need people.
      strong with bad people.

he had a strategy in dealing with people.
      many followers said that when he used to meet them he used to smile as they are the most loveable people to him. that the way he used to communicate with everybody.with love.

guess what? I have tried that and the results were amazing except for my wife jealousness sometimes.lol

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Masters have at times been forced to pick up the sword.

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.
        1) What I mean by Jesus and God being One, is that they were inseprable in Spirit.  Like maybe with you and Allah, you feel that you and Allah are together as One, that no one can take you from Him...yes?  This is the same thing.  Jesus was not God, I understand this and many Christians understand this as well, but many do not, how do we fix the broken bridge?

Just like you, I say that Jesus did not possess any supernatureal powers, but what was given to Him came by way of God, that literally is was not Jesus who did the miracles, but God. 
        Are we different in our understanding?  ( and that does not make Jesus God either)

2) For what you relayed to me about Muhammad (PBUH) this too is how I read, so then why can so many do what is bad in his name or in God's name.  It was from my understanding that Muhammad encouraged people to do things out of love, not hate and for God and for people. 

I suppose in the same ways as the Christains say the same things, yet still decide to fight when we know this is not right.  However I can see that one difference is that for the Christains, they aren't supposed to pick up the sword no matter what, even if it is justly because violence heeds violence. 

I like to imagine had we listened thousands of years ago, then would there be peace now?  Certainly, maybe many people would have been innocently slaughtered, but then maybe today the world would be different.  Never can tell, right?  And I have heard the arguement that if it did happen like that then the world would be full of bad things and nothing good.  Then of course, they would have been left to themselves to fix thier own mess instead of long suffering, which we are so use to today. 

3) Today we should know that physically strenghening and army will not make things better and does nothing to convey the message of Peace, when peace is followed by actions of war, in this way, peace will not last and that is not true peace.  Am I wrong?

4) The Bible says there are many Gods, but only one True God, the one the gave life or as you call Him, the Creator.  So are we in disagreement?
        So in this way, it is fair to say that we are all gods, but we are not God.  As Jesus is a god, but even He is not God.  -does that make sense?-

5) so what I understand is this...according to Mohammad, if one came to fight, then it was ok to fight back.  Yes?  Or better, that is was ok to wield a sword to  defend ones who could not defend themselves. Yes?

In other words it is in our nature to protect the poor who cannot do for themselves againts ones who earnestly seek to harm the innocent.  So then I could say that,  I will not kill to defend myself, but I will kill if it turns out that way, in defence of those who cannot do it for themselves. 

In Christian doctrine, we say  I will sacrifice myself but do not touch the innocent.  It says that if we pick up the sword then we are destined to die that way.  Which to me means that even in defense of the innocent by sword, we continue to root ourselves violence.  Even if the cause is in justice.  It's a tuff call. 

Certainly I would say that even myself knowing this would do everything in my power to save my child or innocent people if I see that someone wanted to harm them the difference is I would not aim to kill because that soul is not mine, even if I do hate it.  I would fight to my own death to give the innocent a chance to run or defend themselves.   

This is a very good start, I hope we can keep discussing this.  smile

1. Make  Money profile image66
          Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sandra I like a lot of what you say.  It's clear you are saying what you are in the spirit of peace.

But I do feel that I need to correct you on this,

In previous posts I have sited many verses from the Bible saying that Jesus was with God in the beginning before the creation, that Jesus says Himself that He is God and that the first apostles recognized Jesus as God.

The Trinity is a fundamental belief to all Christians.  To not believe in the Trinity is to not be a Christian.

But Christians still believe in just one God.  St. Patrick described the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost by comparing it to a three leaf clover.  The three leaves being part of the same plant.

Mike

1. mightyone profile image41
            mightyoneposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sir, you can never read in the Bible God the Holy Ghost.  It is only God referring to the Father and God as referring to the Son.  Non else...the Holy Ghost is the Holy Spirt and those can be one of 4 things -1. the thoughts of your mind
            2. the air you breath
            3. the Words of God
            4. God's Holy Angels

Let me know if you need scriptural references for these.

1. profile image0

Mike-  I would like some scripture reference to support what you say.  smile  I mean, I believe there is the Father, there is Jesus and there is the Holy Spirit, however I have not read anything that supports the claim that Jesus is God. 

It does say that Jesus was present at the beginning, but it also says that God was first and Jesus was the first of all creation, the spirit that is. 

Say I am a twin.  I have all the characteristic of my sister, we are identical in everyway, not even our mother can tell us apart...does that make me my sister? 

No, do I love and adore her as I have that same respect for myself, yes.  Do I go out and say I am her,no.  Do I go and say I am just like my sister, we are one in the same...yes.  Why?  Because if you love me, then you love my sister.  -make sense?-  smile

Sandra we see the three parts of the Holy Trinity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost all within 9 verses of John chapter 14 from verse 8 to 16.
                http://www.drbo.org/chapter/50014.htm
                The Douay-Rheims Bible uses the word Paraclete for the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost.  The King James Bible uses the word Comforter in the same verses.

Quote from this wikipedia about Paraclete - "a title for the Holy Spirit".
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraclete

Or you can read this wikipedia about the Trinity if you want http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

Quote from fundamental truths page on International Congress of Churches and Ministries.
                http://www.iccm-1.org/our_fundamental_truths.htm
                We believe that the one true God has revealed Himself as the eternally self-existent I AM, the Creator of heaven and earth and the Redeemer of mankind. He has further revealed Himself as embodying the principles of relationship and association as Father, Son and Holy Spirit or the tri-unity of the Godhead (Deut. 6:4, Isa. 43:10-11, Mt. 28:19, Luke 3:22).

I could post all kinds of links that mention the Trinity of God.  The Bible makes a lot of reference to it.

But the Bible does not say that we are gods or will ever be gods, small g or not.

Mike

1. profile image0

Good morning Mike,

So I was looking over the references you gave.  I understand why you say Jesus is God, however, in Dt. Jesus (though present as we know and can agree) the indication of the LORD is refering to GOD.  In the Old Testament they speak of Yeweh or Jehovah, not Jesus the Messiah.  They speak of the Commandments which were given by GOD.  They talk about GOD, the GOD of Abraham etc...

In Isaiah, Jesus does say He is God, however, we know that in the beginning was the Word at that Word was "with" God, there was GOD and GOD created God (Jesus) as The God, and all things were created "through" Him, for Him.  However, this does not make Jesus GOD.

So I am reading this as God the Father was the beginning and Jesus was the first of all Creations, not The Creator.  If this were true, what sense would it make for Jesus to address His Father God, whom created Jesus?

Also how much sense would it make for Jesus to speak of The Father if Jesus was GOD? Would He be speaking to himself?  I don't think so. 

There are plenty more references at to which Jesus speaks of He and His Father being One, however, even Jesus seperates them as indaviduals, only bringing them together and an identifyable unit through the Holy Spirit.  And that Holy Spirit is not a person, or a someone, it's a something. 

The Holy Spirit decended upon Jesus at his baptism in the form of a dove.  So in the form of, does not mean the dove itself is the Holy Spirit, or the Spirit is of any one thing, but many things. 
                  Jesus also says that God is the invisable Spirit. 

So for Jesus to be created in Gods image, it would mean that GOD created the first image as Himself but even Jesus knows and says that everything came to Him by His Father that none is possible without GOD the Father.  When I think here about the image,  I am thinking, something that could be seen.  As prior to Jesus' existance, all was void, but GOD (The Creator, The Force etc...) made it possible, and Jesus wants us to acknoledge that all things came through Him by GOD. 

So they are seperate, but inseprable.  Anyways, I think it is nonsense to discuss these things when there are other things to discuss like the message and gratidude fom life and bringing peace and stuff. 

The way I see or feel about it is this...whether you beleive Jesus is GOD or not it does not matter much because to love Jesus is to Love GOD. 

For myself, to Love The Father, our Creator, the One gave us Life, is to have a immeasurable thanks, love and gratidude for Jesus because in my mind.  GOD was a very lonely thing, and when He created Jesus,  Jesus even saved His Father because having Him made GOD happy and filled GOD with LOVE and because of this GOD gave Jesus everything.  So the We in Genisis and our image is that of GOD, and the expressions of Jesus as in His LOVE for GOD, was the same as He then expressed for us which earns Jesus the rightful title of King, and Lord, and Savior. 

The beauty in the title Savior.  So all the Glory goes to GOD because without GOD first, we could never be able to see or feel what LOVE is.   1John 4:7 (I think)  says that GOD is LOVE.
                  LOVE cannot be seen only felt.  When we speak, we cannot see the actual words coming out of our mouths.  But we feel what is spoken, and to see what is spoken is to do it.  Or to see what is spoken it had to be written.  Literally.  So Jesus says, it was written. 

Also when Jesus prays to GOD before He is is turned in,  He says, something like...
                  Father, let the cup pass from me, nevertheless not as I will, but as You will. 

Jesus answers to GOD, everything answers to GOD and GOD has the final say in all things. 
                  To accept Jesus' sacrifice is not to accept that He is GOD, but to accept that HE LOVES us so much that He sacrificed His will for the Will of GOD.  It's LOVE recipricated both ways, not just one.  And that is LOVE the inseprable Unit of GOD.  And by both ways here I also mean, Jesus' LOVE for Us, and GODs love for Us and for Jesus etc. 

Can you see what I am trying to say?  I only make it a point to Gloryify GOD because Jesus asked us to.  smile  Jesus asked nothing for Himself.  And becacuse I love GOD and because I love Jesus and because GOD asked us to do as Jesus asked us and Jesus asked us to do what GOD asked us, then it is right to give all the glory GOD first.  smile

2. Eng.M profile image65

Thanx Sadra

I totally agree
          my point is if God asked us to worship him alone and not any other parts of his soul then we should do it.

Yes, you are right.
          in chrestianity, you are not supposed to fight in anyway.

I understand.
          sometimes I think it requires kindness, wisdom & little bit strength to solve issues in the right way for the majority of people.
          so the majority & the poor people everywhere are our main target to help & serve and power should not be used except as the last option to save people from a bigger dangerous.
          that can not be guided by anyone as it needs someone really loves people even enemies and he should be smart,expert and etc to make that critcal decision.
          personal emotions should not interfere.

you absolutely have a good point.
          everything is different in today's world.
          you could not communicate with ordinary people in old times as easy as today.
          so why starting with wars. we should start with communicating with love.
          globalization has made this very easy.

yes it does .
          I think it depends on how we define god (with capital or small letters)
          we all are gods means we came from his nature and that is the difference between us and other creatures.
          we can think,improve and control and that make us gods but there is one God who other gods can't affect on him, he affects on them only.

it is not about killing . it is about spreading justice. if there is aother way, then it should be used.
          it is like practicing the God's abilities which were given to us.
          strength for justice.
          weakness for peace.
          mercy for who make mistakes.
          and so on.

in my opinion , that's great but sometimes not enough.
          I think both ways are correct as the good intention & decision exist.

I hope so.
          I have learnt from our discussions to look at the other side.
          there could be many right ways to do one thing.
          and I guess each human has something special others don't have.

God bless you

1. profile image0

Well thank you, God bless you too.   smile

I think this:  Of the many different division amongts us, we share one thing in common, that we believe in God.  So I think the better way is to unite us in this understanding, whether Catholic whom believe in the holy trinity, to Mulsims who believe in Allah, to whatever else there is we make peace with each other and understand each other better by communicating in the ways of which we promised to keep and show each other understanding. 

Certainly I see the rift between them all or us all but I don't and cannot for the life of me consider it to be ok to make arguements out of things that will not "bear good fruit". 

I personally don't care if someone believes in the trinity, or someone believes in Allah or another Jehovah or Elohim or Yehew, what I recognize is the same message being repeated.  That root being love, peace, compassion, understanding, the ability to learn, the quest for justice, the want to do what is right and the conditions of human suffering, helping the poor, appreciation for life, respect, the need to not be alone, forgiveness and restoring the Glory to God. 

Maybe we should start with observing the simularities in all the beliefs, and be open to them as if what we are doing is coming directly from the One you call God.  smile

1. Eng.M profile image65

my answer is LOVE.

why?
              because of our similarities such as : hands, feet, eyes, heads, ears & etc
              we all have got them, then we came from one source , then we are one thing.

peace

5. Make  Money profile image66

Yeah love and understanding is what counts.

We just need to get our leaders to think the same way.

Bubba Bush has said that the war in Iraq is not a war between Christianity and Islam although some coocky Christian Zionists would like to make it out to be.  And I can see how some Muslim leaders would think it is.  It's not.

Topstuff and myself have previously talked about the similarities between Islam and Christianity in this thread.  There are a lot.

Mike

6. Andrew0208 profile image56

That was excellent of you Sandra! Christianity is beyond the play of religion and it's politics. God is Love and has called us to walk in Love, Glory and Power. Very interesting to know that we are just like Him. The ministry of the Holy Spirit in our lives is God's Glory and Power expressed in and through us, helping and guiding us to the realities of God's Word and the demonstration of His Power here on earth. The Word Works!

7. Make  Money profile image66

Yeah I understand what you are saying Sandra.  Jesus had two natures when he was on earth, both God and man.  That's why he is referred to in the Bible by both titles, the Son of God as well as the Son of Man.

Although it does refer to it many times in the Bible it does take faith to believe that Jesus is God.  It is a similar faith (not exactly) that Muslims put in Mohammad who says that Jesus is not God.

Maybe you have heard the story of doubting Thomas?

Well this is how the story goes in my words.  All the apostles had seen Jesus after he had been crucified and resurrected except Thomas.  When the other apostles told Thomas that they had seen Jesus, Thomas said, 25 " ... Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."

Well after he seen Jesus 28 "Thomas answered, and said to him: My Lord, and my God."

29 "Jesus saith to him: Because thou hast seen me, Thomas, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and have believed."

So according to Jesus those that believe that Jesus is God are blessed.

So Sandra if you believe that Jesus is God then are blessed. 

You can read the whole story about doubting Thomas in John chapter 20 from verse 24 to 29.
    http://www.drbo.org/cgi-bin/d?b=drb& … &f=s#x

Mike

1. profile image0

I believe He is our God, but not GOD.  So I understand what you are talking about too.
      According to the 10 com.  There is no other God, and according to Jesus we worship GOD not Jesus.  Because Jesus said If you love me than you obey the commandments.

smile

8. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

I am a Christhian - A Latin Catholic

9. profile image0

I also just wanted to add for discussions sake, that I believe it is good that I also accept Allah as a name for God.  Although I know that with the people I have chosen to study scripture with, they don't like it so much, but they also know that and respect that I have my own reasons and that it is my choice and something that only I will have to explain (or not. lol) if upon judgment it comes up because all I could say to God or to Jesus is that I felt is was better that we be together instead of apart from on another. 

Also,  I believe that it is not necessary for Muslims to accept that Jesus is the Son of God, or as  thier God because in my mind, they were given something else.  And they follow the law.  And by law you know what I am talking about.  However I have chosen Jesus because I know in myself and I cannot lie to myself to know that it would absolutly impossible for me to even come close to being able to follow the law.  I seem to mess up around every corner, so I have character flaws and I know it, so accepting the ransom or sacrifice is because I really do try but I would be sabataging myself and bringing unnecessary hardships on myself to go that way.

In a lot of ways I respect Muslims very, very much because they try for the impossible.  I think it is beautiful.  You know that just because a lot seem to make a mochary of their beliefs doesn't make the group as a hole bad. 
    Just the same with Christain beliefs, one does or says something horrible and ill or completly wrong in the name of God, doesn't make the hole congregation bad. 

I guess I chose to believe that GODs love for all of us is pretty special and there is a way for all people. 

Maybe some Muslims call me confused, or bad or something, but others like me can very much understand what I am talking about.  Because we walk in the same path called LOVE.  Jesus did away with the law for us (gentiles) and asked us two things. 

Have only one GOD, the creator of the Heavens and Earth and everything in them...and to Love each other. 

So I could find no folly in their beliefs.  Well maybe that I don't fasting and stuff, but that is really very trivial in accordance especially because it was not in the law to begin with.

1. Eng.M profile image65

this is a common thing between all believers I think.
      AND love is the bases of everything.

continue reading Sandra & good luck.

Mohammed

10. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Sandra - you've become so, what's the term, religiously intollerant. You used to be so fun and free.

1. profile image0

Well I think it's on the contrary.  I think I have become more tollerant of all religions.  And I am still free and fun but when talking about relgion with other people talking about relgion, well then that is what we are talking about. 

I don't think any less of anyone who doesn't believe in God and I still love people just the same.  smile 

I wish athiest, agnostics and buddhist and christains and mulsims...could all accept each others views and get a long.  I don't see what is wrong with that, and I don't see what is wrong with beleiving in human unity through love. 

I didn't cause the problems associated with religions and I didn't cause the problems associated with non-religioins. 

So it is sorta a hurtful thing to say to me.  sad

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Freudian slip? wink

1. profile image0

wink

What are you trying to say now, that Catholics are not Christians or something silly like that.  There would not be Christianity if there was no Catholic Church.  The word catholic just means universal in Greek and the name for God's universal church goes back to the 1st century.

The Bible says Christians are to be as one.  The International Congress of Churches and Ministries is not a Catholic organization but it is clear that we are as one in our belief that Jesus is God.

Previously in this thread I have mostly been quoting from a Catholic Bible.  The King James Bible is the Protestant Bible.  But the story of doubting Thomas in the King James Bible is the same,

John 20:25 " ... Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe."

John 20:28: "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God."

John 20:29: "Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

http://etext.virginia.edu/kjv.browse.html

Protestants and Catholics are as one in our belief that Jesus is God.

To not belief that Jesus is God is to not be a Christian.  Jehovah Witness, Mormons, the Davinci Files Freemasons and some others are not considered Christians because they do not believe that Jesus is God, they disqualify themselves.

Anyone can quote scriptures from the Bible as we have seen the Muslim leader Shabir Ally wrongfully interpret some scriptures previously in this thread.  So it is clear that just because someone quotes from the Bible it does not make that person a Christian.  Even the devil believes that Jesus is God.

To respect others belief is in the spirit of peace and harmony.  To give up on your own fundamental belief for that peace is another thing all together. 

It seems this thread titled "Who Is A Christian?" has been taken over by non Christians.

Have fun.

Mike

1. Eng.M profile image65

my qustion to you sir is :

how can : 1+1+1= 1
              taking in consideration the example of three leaves of one plant.

I mean the three leaves are three parts & not entities.

thanx

1. profile image0

right-o-!

A branch is One stem, three leaves are indavidualized.  They come from the same branch, but leaf 1 is not leaf 2 etc...

If Jesus is the stem, then GOD is the Soil.

1. Eng.M profile image65

and my right hand is not like left hand.
                  they are different but belonging to one person.

I don't think God would give us a belief system that is different from our logic.

1. profile image0

I don't think that either.  smile

2. profile image0

Well that is nice.  I guess it is settled then.  I am not a Christain.  Maybe that is the problem with believing that Jesus is God.  Look what it does.  It makes good people like yourself say these aweful things and divide up as though it is a good practice. 

You make assumptions that other people who live the words of Jesus passed down by God, are not good people.  I know Protosents too, and they never say these things to me. 
              They read from the King James Bible and when we discuss things, the are very happy to accept my "personal" belief and I am happy to accept theirs. Because we walk the same line.

My brother is a Protosent, and my Dads wife is one too, but they don't say aweful things like that.  Even if they thought them, they wouldn't say it because they know that it aint right.  My mother is Catholic, and even my Mom says, there is only one God, Jesus is not God and you cannot see GOD.  But I guess she wouldn't be a christian either right.

Maybe you are having a bad morning or something and you will come back and read what you wrote and see why it sounds bad.  smile

It called unity throught Love

11. Andrew0208 profile image56

A Re-created human spirit in Christ(A Christian) is dead to self and religion. He has the mind of Christ to do excellent things to the growth of himself/herself and people around in Love. People could be funny sometimes, but wisdom is profitable to direct in all things. The Holy Ghost in you will help excellently when activated!
    We're called unto Glory and Power!
    Andrew.

12. profile image0

Right off the bat Mike, no that was not what I was trying to say that is why Misha called it Fruedian slip, and I changed it. 

My bad!  smile

13. Make  Money profile image66

Sandra your argument is not with me, it's with God.  It's up to you whether you want to accept the fundamental beliefs of being a Christian.

Man we are going right back to 4th century Arianism.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism

14. profile image0

Whateva!  My argument is totally with you, not God.  God loves no matter what I think, you wanna prove to me why God doesn't love me or bless me for believing in what I cannot see or even prove?  Go ahead. 

According to Jesus, God blessed a lot of different people, not just people who believe Jesus in God. 

smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jesus even blessed Thomas who asked for proof beyond what all of his closest friends testified to.

15. Make  Money profile image66

Of course God loves you and all people Sandra.  We are all children of God.

But with your father and brother being a Protestant and your mother being a Catholic they and you would have had to have heard of the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Mike

16. Andrew0208 profile image56

"WHO IS A CHRISTIAN" is a vital question with a great insight to shed light on the realities of the death and resurrection ofJesus in the life of a believer. This new life/nature is supernatural, made free from sickness,disease,poverty and all manner of afflictions of the devil. How? It's important that you know and become conscious of this new real supernatural life in you as you MEDITATE on the abilities of God via the Scriptures! Glory!

1. secondsamuel profile image60
      secondsamuelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Andrew for testifying to the truth
      John 8:31-33
      31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
      32 and you will know the truth, and THE TRUTH WILL MAKE YOU FREE"

There are so many millions of people, intelligent people, who have been decieved by "the prince of the power of the air" satan. I never did understand math until I took the time to study and meditate on the text books that were issued to me in school. Now I understand.
      God's word is TRUTH . Truth is what God percieves to be reality. God created truth. God is truth and God is good.....smile

1. profile image0

Who is God?

Who or what is your god?

1. profile image0

All I know is mine is not the same as yours.

http://everystudent.com/features/isther … nAodJgjUWw
              Hello Sandra, I choose not to debate about my God but I thought that the link above might interest you. God loves you Sandra and so do I. God bless you.....smile

1. profile image0

You know what SecondSamuel,  When I hear something good I think wow God, see now that is what the world needs to be like.  People loving each other no arguements, just simple love beyond all means. 

Thanks for saying God loves me and you do too because the only thing that ever seems to upset me is when someone says that God doesn't love me unless....or I have to do....., ya know. 

So thanks it means a lot, and I hope that if we get caught up in a discussion that may not agree with your ears,  you wont take it back.  smile

Thank you Sandra for your kind response. Yes God loves you and me and all of His human creation. God has devised a plan for us all that gives us the opportunity to be obedient to Him. If we are disobedient that does not mean He stops loving us, it means we stop loving Him. He has provided a bridge that we must cross over in order to enter into His kingdom. It's our choice whether or not we cross that bridge. If we decide not to cross the bridge, then guess what?.......He still loves us. But you must understand why He has provided the bridge and why He wants so much for us to cross over. Just imagine that you are standing at the edge of a wide raging river , you are facing the river, behind you is your life as you currently live it out on a daily basis, you're happy, (or at least you think you are), every thing is going well as far as you can tell, you have adhered to your own way of thinking and you feel pretty good about it. There is a bridge there which crosses over the raging river. and as you look across that bridge to the other side you see Jesus Christ beckoning you to come across but you hesitate and you turn around to look at your present life and you decide to pass on the invitation that Jesus is giving you. So you just walk back into your present life and continue there in, but suddenly your world starts to fall apart and it becomes engulfed with fire, every thing around you is burning, you are in the dry desolate forest of your life and it is burning all around you and you panic and begin thinking there is no way out and you're searching for and opening for escape..............and then you remember that bridge that crossed over the raging river and you start making your way in that direction and in your amazement you are suddenly there, the bridge is still in tact and Jesus is still standing at the other end with His arms wide open and He's saying come Sandra, come before it's too late.
                  This is how much God loves you. Will you cross that bridge? God is pursuing you Sandra. God loves you. The question is, do you love Him? God bless you Sandra ...luvya...S.S.neutral

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

The guy on the cloud in the white robe that cook you for dinner if you misbehave big_smile

18. Make  Money profile image66

Thanks Andrew, Rochelle and secondsamuel.  I see this "Who is a Christian" thread has not been fully taken over by non-Christians.  God bless you.

Mike

1. profile image0

What do you mean?  This hole thread is non-christain.  smile

19. Andrew0208 profile image56

I like to learn, know and operate in the realities. A Christian is one saved by believing that Jesus died for his/her sin and resurrected for his/her justification, accepting the Lordship of Christ. In Spirit realm, a transformation takes place which results to one seeking to know more of Him and His words which are Life and Spirit. John 6:63.

This re-created human spirit will require spiritual food(the scriptures) to live and grow strong. How? When he/she takes those written words to his/her heart in meditation by pondering over them, mutter them and finally will need to vocalizes them in Faith. Victory over every issue is sure.

A Christian is one who walks in faith and not by sight(sensory perceptions) because he knows that the Spirit(Unseen Realities) rules this earth.

A Christian walks in love; Loves and Forgives his fellow men including non Christians.

A Christian ought to know what he/she is equiped with: 1. The Holy Ghost in you if recieved. 2. The Name of Jesus. and 3. The Word of God in your mouth:

He/she has eternal life. He sees the end from the begining just like his father(God) as Christ in you is the hope of glory!

A Christian is dead to self and the play of religion, following it's politics.

A Christian is a Miracle Worker! Mark 16: 15-20

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Sure it does big_smile

Flagged him, too smile

21. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Me too smile

Not sure why but the religious spammers bother me more than the others...... smile

Typical example of what I despise about "Christians." lol

Claiming to be a christian and telling people that you must be born again as a christian and then stealing some one else's writing and trying to make money off of it.

This one is just too dumb to get away with it though........

1. profile image0

Kinda funny,  I was reading in one of the codexes from the Nag hamadi (however the hell you spell it)

About Paul and Thecla I think that was the story...anyways the story turns out to be a fake testemony as the authors admit later that they made it up because they really wanted to support early Christian doctorines, or something like that.

Anyways, the same thing goes on today.  False testemonies in order to support the Christian way.  smile

1. Andrew0208 profile image56
        Andrew0208posted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's funny when I see people act from their mindset and profess otherwise. I've learned to separate a sinner from his/her sin. I wish to speak/write to him regarding his taking someone's topic and article for his hub. If you're born again in Christ Jesus not by religion, you ought to understand the realities of a Christian, one with a re-created human Spirit. He has the mind of Christ that flows with soundness and excellence producing good ideas and thoughts.

What counts now is what you will do next. I say to you docbenduke Be sound! Be original! and walk in the grace that is available for you in Christ Jesus!

Sandra, says "Anyways, the same thing goes on today.  False testemonies in order to support the Christian way."

Be not surprised when you hear or see such in our mist because we are aware of the devices of the Devil planting weeds among the good seeds planted. The fact that somebody is fake in his ways does not mean everybody is fake. I believe in the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is beyond the play of religion by religious men whose hearts are far from Him and the Glory of His Presence.

I 100% believe the days of Elijah, David, Esther, Daniel, Jesus, the apostles, Chris Oyakhilome, my days and forever in the Glory and the manifested Presence of God. Look, we are in the last days that is filled with wonders. I tell you by the Spirit of God; Money, Religion, Self, Science, Education and the world economy will fail mankind. Why? We are in the days of the Spirit. The only remedy will be THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE SPIRIT AND HIS WAYS. THEY ARE NOT CANAL(of sensory perceptions).

22. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Yeah, I did not recognize him as a christian on his first post I commented, but I was tempted to add "you behave like a Christian knocking in your door Saturday morning to 'save' you". Well, I decided not to write that part - but now I see I was dead on big_smile

23. Make  Money profile image66

docbenduke said in the other thread that he wrote the blog as well so I don't see what the problem is.

24. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I am Christian however I do not judge others for there beliefs as "God only be the Judge"
    This is a very interesting thread as there are more who are curious or do not believe. But with respect we are entitled to our own opinions. smile May God Bless Everyone!!! smile

You see, He never sent anyone to condemn but have called every Christian to be saviours to this suffering world. When you understand this calling from your spirit, you'll dwell in Love and be a source of strength and joy to your fellow men including non Christians.

If you found your brother not living to the glory of God, this is not the time to back bite and go against him but you go in prayers and believe God for a positive change in favour of him. I rejoice always because you are ordained to receive answers to your prayers in Jesus' Name. Amen. Matthew 7:7 - Ask and you shall recieve!

25. profile image0
    mikeq107posted 15 years ago

Someone once said the greatest trick the devil pulled was getting people to believe he doesn’t exist.

I think the next thing he did was to invent religion a counterfeit to a real relationship with God. Think about it? Then once its in place create religious racism and it will multiply like a virus .Just look at how religion has infected some people how they all become like clones of each other and control each other and how man is the head of religion.

Can you imagine if you were to treat your wife or friends in a religious way, I don’t think those relationships would last very long, no new life or true love and after a while it would be like a really bad version of the step ford wife’s.

Heck I grew up in Ireland and as most people know that had a religious war for hundreds of years, Catholics verses Proddy`s.

The  Middle east, Bosnia and look at the united states 1000`s of Christian churches in completion for numbers or membership, mega churches and all crying out for money and building programs and conferences, its a billion dollar industry and then you have the TV churches , they are like mini info mercials........God for sale...

No I honestly believe Satan has created religion as a counterfeit to a true loving spirit led relationship with a loving God...Think about it! Would any Healthy parent who loves their child and wants them to truly live a life of promise, excitement and hope send them to a religious church? Heck no! it would suck the life out of them.

Think about the word religion, it means to do something religiously or repetitively (Ok where’s spell check Lol )
    I believe religion has killed critical thinking and that is why god sent Jesus to abolish religion and bring people into the reality of a true loving relationship with a real God and back to some vibrant critical thinking and living…wow an independent thinker not a religious clone…….Ok done…have a great one!!!!!!   Mike:0)

Yes I agree with you on the play of religion being controlled by the devil. Jesus kicked against the play of religion and those religious men in the bible days. Why? He saw their hearts were far from God. They appear religious but do not know God, His ways and walk in Love from theirs hearts. Full of canality and politics.

26. Thinkaboutit77 profile image71
    Thinkaboutit77posted 15 years ago

Does A Burning Hell Really Exist Or Is It Just A Scare Tactic Used By Fundamentalist Christians?

Join the discussion thread here:

<snipped link - do not post for self-promotion!>

27. knolyourself profile image61

"Does A Burning Hell Really Exist Or Is It Just A Spam Tactic used by Thinkaboutit??

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Proof that hell exists smile

Dontthinkaboutit has posted this on just about every forum thread lol

28. Make  Money profile image66

This is not spam.

This question needs to be addressed in this 'Who Is A Christian' thread.

Hell does exist.

Mike he has posted the exact same question on a lot of threads. Most of them unrelated to the subject.

That is spam.

29. knolyourself profile image61

Hell is a state of mind

30. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Whether or not hell exists, this is definitely spam, I agree to Mark smile. In fact I reported it on all the threads and suggested this "thinker" should be banned from the site, at least temporarily smile

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha,
      I honestly couldn't agree more as not matter where we go it says the same thing over and over , now that gets old. Since I am still learning I now realize that is SPAM. Thanks for letting us know.

31. Make  Money profile image66

Well I have definitely seen you post your own Hubs in some forum posts Mark.  And I'll know what to do the next time I see you do it.

Mike - Be my guest. But if you cannot see the difference between me posting a link to a relevant hub and some one adding a link on numerous threads with a request for people to visit, you are less intelligent than I have been giving you credit for.

This link has now been snipped, and his other posts have been deleted.

I guess homeland security agreed with me lol

1. Roseberry profile image59
        Roseberryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So much power1 The only thing how can I believe you have all this power ! I  can't see it! Hum!
        To use fear is not of God and if this is what you are trying to do than you need to go to another site that will agree with you! Why stay on this tread that you seem to dislike!

A Christian is one that has excepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior and I am very sure this is not you! You say I am judging you no the Word of God does! So I don;t fear you and I am sure it is you that is showing us that it is you with less intelligent. It has always been people that don't understand things they get scared so they make a big fuss about it to cover their fear. O I know you will say your not scared but hey how do I know your not just because your say so! Don't think so!

Laugh now because one day all will come before Jesus!

lol

Wow - Another one. Let me get this straight - You say

"To use fear is not of god."

Followed by

"Laugh now because one day all will come before Jesus."

Which is a rather pathetic attempt to scare me into believing.

At last - a genuine christian appears lol

You have no reason to fear me, nor any reason to judge that I do not like this thread. I am impressed that you know God's word and although you personally are not judging me, you are sure that god has done, and you know how he has judged me. Yup - genuine christian all right.

And no - I am not scared - I came to terms with my own mortality some time ago. It was one of the things that helped to free me from the fetters that bind you. I have walked through the valley of death and came out the other side fear-free.

Using fear to encourage belief is also another one of the things that persuaded me your cult is faulty.

Thank you, I love you. lol

It is not fear a christian has of God but reverence. And yes as a christian I do love you as a person or other wise I would not tell you the truth!

I do not judge but as an old tv program use to say "Only the facts Sir only the facts".
            It is not death of this body that should concern any of us but it is what comes after 

Even the new agers believe that we are mind body and soul  And Yes I am another one of them and I am thankful that I am! To God be the Glory!

All of us has a god whether we admit this are not!

So I do encourage you to search and see the truth!  If what I believe is not true than I have lost nothing but if what I have stated is truth than I  gain everything!

Only the facts in that case.

Present me with some facts please.

Anytime you are ready with some facts, I will be happy to listen. smile This is the definition of a "fact":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact

32. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Right Mike, report it to KGB smile
    Oh, sorry, Homeland Security big_smile

33. Make  Money profile image66

Seeing this thread is titled "WHO IS A CHRISTIAN?" I believe that anything that is relevant to what a Christian believes should be included in this thread.

Christians and some other organized religions believe that hell does exist.

For proof that hell does exist please see this Hub.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Does-a-Burning- … ally-Exist

Mike

1. profile image0

have you been there?  have you seen it?  have you felt it? did you touch it?  no you didn't.  how can you say it exist if you have never seen it?

Have you seen Jesus, have you felt him?  could you touch him?  did you talk to him?
      how do you know he exist.

have you seen heaven same questions.  there is not proof, it only what you believe.  so why don't you back off the christians who do not believe ther is a place that is made of fire where living souls go to burn forever and ever in torment.

2. mohitmisra profile image60

I believe we are in hell and paradise or heaven is with God. smile

Well the bible does tell us that this world will be the only hell you will know if your believe in Jesus Christ! We believe in the air that we breath and the wind that blows. We can't see them but can see effects of them. This is the same with God you may not be able to see him but you can see his effect!

34. knolyourself profile image61

Why not the sun. Even hotter yet, proof positive.

35. DeaneMc profile image59
    DeaneMcposted 15 years ago

A Christian is some one that is Christ like. It means partisans or followers of Christ.
    In the Bible in the Book of Acts 11:26 it says: And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And it came about that for an entire year they met with the church, and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
    Also in the Bible 1 Peter 4:14-16 it says: By no means let any of you suffer as a murderer, or a thief, or evildoer, or troublesome meddler; but if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not feel ashamed, but in that name let him glorify God.

In order to be Christ like we have to know Christ and believe God sent him into the world just as He said He did in  John 3:16 for salvation. For God so loved the world that He sent His only Son that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.
    The way to be Christ like also is written in Ephesians 4:22-24  That in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit. And that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.
    Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, But Christ lives in me; and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.

To be Christ like is to have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control,bearing on one another's burdens,

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Nice-and the disciples were first called Christians -followers of Christ.
      Its so simple God knows why there is such a heated debate on this topic.
      If someone cannot understand this,then he or she is not very intelligent. smile

36. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Amen tongue

37. Andrew0208 profile image56

This word "hell" sometimes could be controversal and religious. In Greek, it is liken to as "Hades" regarded as a place of eternal torment, especially by fire for those who are irredeemably wicked.

Well here is an account from the Bible, the book of books, webpages, blogs and hubs; The book of Revelation Chapter 21:8 says "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which is the second death. You can further by reading Revelation 20:13 and on.

Something striking reminds me of a thread here in the Religion forum started by Webismine titled "Life after death". You can point it out from the scripture above where it mentioned "second death" Lets us take off our eyes on most assumed forms and appearances of Religion in it's interpretation about "hell". This Life after death is so real and active now that we're living that we ought to know. It's liken also as a SEED. The seeds you sow count and will only bear fruits of it's kind. Be not decieved. Whatever a man soweth that will he reap.

The Joy of it all is when you dwell in LOVE(Agape Love), you dwell in perfect law of liberty and the Law of the Spirit of Life will make you Free from the Law of the Spirit of death. Irrespective of how great a man of God you're or whatever spiritual head or master you're,  minus your heart/spirit being centered in Love which is the anchor of Law it will simply result to the second death after the first death of your earthly body. English call it "Hell", Hebrew call it "Sheol", Aramic call it "Gehenna" and the Greek call it "Hades".

We are loved by a loving Father who will always admonish us to choose rightly and wisely. Love all men. Be happy and give thanks in all things!

You're blessed in Jesus' Name. Amen.

38. Andrew0208 profile image56

A Christian ought to speak in tongues. Why? Speaking in tongues is a great Spiritual tool in the life of a believer. This is one of the greatest gift and proof of the Holy Ghost in the life of a believer. When you start speaking in tongues consciously, you will suddenly notice that your inner man is lightened up and energized to receive and communicate with the Holy Spirit. You may be asking now, how often or when can someone speak in tongues? As often as possible as the Spirit gives you utterance. 

You will greatly notice the importance of it in the life of a Christian from the following Scriptures:

Mark 16:17-18. Says: And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues

Acts 2:4-5 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 19:6. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue, speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries" (1 Cor. 14:1, 2

This is not an ordinary act as being widely criticized. Speaking in tongues is a great spiritual gift that will avail so much in these last days. "1 Corinthians 14:18" Paul says "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all." Why? He discovered the secret and it's might.

One who prays in the Holy Ghost, his/her inner man will be strengthened and charged. Faith will arise in you and you will see, walk and talk like God. Signs and Wonders will surely follow. This is a great secret of a few great men of God I know and have seen the move of the Holy Spirit in their lives respectively.

1. profile image0

Gosh Anderew you always right such nice things.  I have just one thing to say, not cause I want to be argumentitve with you, but...with regards to what you wrote to Mark,  Christains do it themselves as well. 

I mean mock the Bible and stuff.  Take it with a grain of salt, plus I think Jesus would find a lot of the things we say about him and the Bible amusing. 

If these are the last days, then you already knew it was going to happen, so why fight the enevitable?  It may upset you cause you love God and Jesus and all but is it worth letting ones self become upset over it? (not that I think, you yourself gets upset but many Christains do)

smile

Sandra,  I understand exactly the point you're making, you see, we need to understand the realities of a Christian life. The Church or Christianity is not where you get perfect people but their lives are only perfected as they hear and meditate on God's word. This is exactly what we assumed the church to be. The Scriptures(God's Word) has stood the test of time and I made a personal decision inspired by the Holy Ghost never to argue or dabate on His word but to allow Him teach me His perfect ways. People do mock the things of the Spirit, but just remember it's a choice. An unpleasant one i suppose.

Among many things He teaches me is; to make sure i dwell in love always, loving the next person to me irrespective of religion, race and language. These eternal vital realities have grown tall in my spirit which has established a mindset of Love and forgiveness to anybody . Never offended and upset. It's not automatic but God's word imparted to my spirit through meditation. A merry heart is medicine to the body, never sick and down. It pays to be happy all the time. I've also learnt a lot of good stuff from Mark here in HubPages community.

Happy weekend and remain blessed in Jesus' Name. Amen.

39. Andrew0208 profile image56

A Christian operates and lives by God's Financial System, 100% different from the world's economic and financial systems. He/She is a Kingdom partner. He/She tithes, gives offerings and first fruits.

Why will God ask you to bring in your tithes and offerings since He has everything? Malachi 3:8-10.

A Christian is a believer, hearing to do God's word. He argues not on the Word(Scriptures)

40. knolyourself profile image61

Ah christians mostly are always pro-capitalist anti-socialist.
    "He/She tithes, gives offerings and first fruits."
    The church is not capitalist. It doesnt produce something for profit.
    It is socialist, supported by a tax on its members or rather called a tithe. 'God's Financial System' is socialist.

God will always want to partner with His children.

41. Andrew0208 profile image56

A Christian is a god(Supernatural). John 10:34-35 saying:

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken.

More than a change agent.

42. Andrew0208 profile image56

WHO IS A CHRISTIAN? A Christian is a Loving Spirit, same as Jesus Christ. Counts no errors but in everything gives thank to God.

He/She forgives, dwells and walks in Love. Hallelujah!

43. Andrew0208 profile image56

A Christian has only one permitted fight to fight. "The good fight of Faith." This is not a fight with weapons of war, nor a fight against your neighbour, foes, and so called enemies. The fight of Faith is laying hold on eternal life and the liberty that is in Christ Jesus as you proclaim God's word in Faith and in the Power therein. The Word Works! Hallelujah!

44. profile image51
    madmacposted 15 years ago

Ok about a week or so ago someone pointed out to me that I was incorrect with reference to how the catholic bible was written so I've been looking up other things I might be wrong about. I came across several writings about this very subject [christianity] apparently christianity was mentioned in the the Jewish Curan before Jesus came to the earth as I beleive some type of sect off their religion????????

45. profile image51
    madmacposted 15 years ago

1 more thing, why can't we abolish all religion? As I stated once before, if we could ask the 10's of millions of people who have suffered and or died in the name of 1 religion or another what they thought, I wonder what they would say? Why do we have to believe in any religion to survive? That's like saying that none of us can survive on our own without guidance. If we truly need help than we all have family and friends [if you believe in friendship] to help us. At least for the most part. Faith in something isn't a bad thing. Some would argue that faith in people isn't good because they could let you down, how many people turn against their religion because they think it or their God has let them down? I ask you PLEASE tell me why we NEED religion in our lives to get us through? Is everyone scared to believe in themselves or others to make it through lifes ups and downs? How can anyone have faith in any religion if they don't have faith in themselves? Most believe in a heaven and hell that were going to either place when we die, why do you have to think that garbage? That would mean that our 'souls' would still feel hurt and pain, if that's the case what is the purpose of death? Maybe it's to make room for others on the earth, don't you see how ridiculous that sounds? Just live your lives the best you can trying not to harm or hurt others as you go and that would be a great legacy to leave behind. People will remember you for who you were and how you treated others not for how rich or famous you were.

Religion is not God nor represent God. It's also a choice. The wise, famous, scientific lords, and the rich still seek Christ. What a wise choice to make.

1. profile image51
        madmacposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Religion is basically the belief in something supernatural like a God or Supreme being which is where your statement about choice comes in Andrew0208. And by your comment about it being a good choice, I'm assuming you chose to believe in God. I am certainately not judging you for your choice but what I am asking is why? Do you believe because it was instilled in you since you were a child or is it because your scared like most that there may not be anything after death? As I said, live your life the best you can without hurting others as you go and if there is a God, he won't condemn you for it or keep you from the promised land. If he does then he isn't a God you should have followed to begin with. After all I know he doesn't expect all Christians to follow the Commandments [ if you believe in them] as to do so would mean you would have to be perfect. There is 1 of those laws that make sense ie: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" good words to live by WITHOUT believing in any religion.

1. profile image0
          jgrimes331posted 15 years agoin reply to this

If I may, I believe "religion" is a belief system.  The "Supreme Being" doesn't have to be god or any other intangible object.  In the belief system of religion, people are free to worship a shoe lace to a Burr Oak tree.  It is the principle belief of believing in a certain idea. 

If I may, I like to share one of my favorite quotes by Thomas Jefferson...
          He is addressing the Christian religion- but when you read it, try in your mind- to leave the Christian word out of it.   

"The Christian religion, when divested of the rags in which they [the clergy] have enveloped it, and brought to the original purity and simplicity of it's benevolent institutor, is a religion of all others most friendly to liberty, science, and the freest expansion of the human mind."
          -- Thomas Jefferson, to Moses Robinson, 1801, ME 10:237

Religion can be interpreted many different ways, but it is after all ONLY a belief system.  Thanks!

1. profile image51

Thank you for that jgrimes331 from what I understand there are well over 4300 different religions in this world. That would incompass possibly 80/90% of the worlds population more or less, just a guess on my part. Meaning there is a very small part that don't believe and again I'm guessing they would be athiests. Everyone needs something to believe in but why pick Religion? Why not each other that's all I'm wondering. Over the last several years I've had this discussion with many people most disagreed with me and the reason given was for the most part "it can't hurt to believe". In other words why take chances. For me that says that religion scares people, it's not about true faith in a religion, but about death and the rewards afterward. It shouldn't be about the rewards after we leave this life but the legacy we leave behind and how we lived our lives. After almost every discussion I have on this or any topic, the majority even though they may not agree with my thinking tell me I should be some type of preacher religious or otherwise. When I enquire as to why I'm told that I have a way about me that makes people sit and listen even though I may aggravate them with my ideas. I have been told many times that I am an enigma and I have to admit I had to go look that up. I personally can't see how that pertains to me. This may confuse you a little and may sound egotistical on my part but I think to myself that what if their right and people do listen? I don't want to be responsible for turning people off to their beliefs when all I really want to know is why? As a philosopher and religious scholar you could probably give me many reasons and scenarios as to why they do but in the end even a learned person like yourself may even ask why then again maybe not as that would mean you may start doughting your beliefs. I took the time to go over all the different topics on hubpages and have read all of your responses to the various topics, I find some of your responses to be somewhat belittling but for the most part interesting. As I only have a grade 9 education obviously educationally and possibly intellectually you may be out of my league so to speak. The mind is a truly amazing thing and the things its capable of is astounding. Where some are intelligent others are wise beyond their years I like to think that I myself fit in between the two. Given the proceeding statement I would like very much to hear your views on these topics 1 at  time or all at once "friendship , being in-love, honesty, and loyalty" and if you believe in them or not. Thanks

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
              Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

A grade is school doe not compare to what you learn other than in school and sometime it is better to learn by yourself then by a teacher in school.  I am not discounting a teacher, but you can only be as well as the teacher.  When you reach out and learn things for yourself you begin to learn more of what is out there in the real world.  Have you heard--The teacher will appear when the studen is ready?

When we are ready to learn we will be given a guide.....

1. profile image51

Forgive me Lady Guineveve, but I'm not quite sure what you mean, I've come to several conclusions but am unsure of which is correct could you please explain thank you

Sorry about my bad typing.
                  You learn much more out of the school system then in the system.  Only thing that most take from it is writing and basic math and the friendships--other than that not much else is used unless you go to higher studies.  What you learn outside is the bulk of what is you and how you are made up by your experiences.
                  When you are searcing you will find answers and some people that you encounter will be your teachers weather you know it or not.  We all meet the people who we meet for a reason---al to teach us about ourselves and the scheme of  things.
                  A good hub of mine to read is:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Ask--Seek--Find … -the-Truth

2. profile image0

First and fore most, the most important education I have ever received came from my grandmother Mildred Virginia Dawson.  Her highest level of education completed was the 6th grade.  She started having babies in what have been her 8th grade year.

From what I have read of yours-   I think you are a person with sincere integrity, compassion and empathic to those you come across.  Those qualities do make a "Preacher man" great and remarkable.  Is it for you?  What does your heart tell you?  Not your brain, but what does your heart say...? 

As for questioning ones beliefs:  I do that everyday.  Does Christ exist? Is there a God? Are my sins really forgiven? is there a heaven?  Are my reflections of heaven and hell right or wrong? Is it acceptable in God's eyes that I am raising an Atheist and married to an Agnostic?  I ask question like that of myself everyday.  Questions such as those, I feel builds a solid foundation in what you believe.  Jesus Christ answered questions through reciting a Parable.  Why did he do that?  I believe Christ was making us strong free thinkers.  I think wanted us to rely on ourselves and not forms of religious leadership, churches, etc.., he gave us Parables.  Parables for us to question, research and think over.  If God did not want us humans to be of our own free will- he would have programmed our brain to think like his.  At least that's what I think.

Yeah, I have to admit that some of my responses are sharp edged.  It is not my intention to belittle anyone.  If you read the threads in which I TRY (but fail) to answer in my dry sense of humor, they are towards a post or hubber that is assuming ALL people; for example only: have to believe in the Creation Story to be a believer of Christ.  That the Holy Bible is the exact word of God.  Stuff like that; where I feel the poster has stero-typed the whole of a masses (such as Christians) as one group not individuals.  But the bottom line is I am trying to make people see things from an individual viewpoint.  I was trying to open the conversation based off someone like myself who is a Islamic, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist Christian.  Not all of us disciples of Christ think so narrowly.  I have written 2 hubs acknowledging my forum errors and mistakes: http://hubpages.com/hub/You-Cant-Please-Everyone and http://hubpages.com/hub/Good-Intentions.

I can't answer your question why does someone have to believe in a religion, custom, cultural event, science, or the refusal to believe?  After all I think a persons individual right of being an Atheist is based off the same principle of choosing to be Jewish.  It is after all a belief system.   I don't know why people can't believe and rely on one another.  Maybe it is do to the persons individual right to trust whom they choose and rely on the people that most reassemblies them.  People since the beginning of time have chosen to hang out in the clicks that best fit them.  Where people have the common denominators such as, how one views the universe...                    If you feel in heart you have a strong but righteous view that you need to share- let the "Preacher Man" out!  Don't be afraid of turning people away from religion because people will be looking for other alternatives already.  You might as well be a leader unless someone is more qualified than you.  Starting speaking and people will flock to you because of need.  Remember that, okay.  And when I speak of a righteous view: I mean stand firm and committed to yourself.  Be right with yourself! That is righteousness.  And you feel someone may be more qualified than you-  NEVER make that judgment based off education.  Requirements should be measured in the form of the real qualifications.  IS that person MORE compassionate than you, does that person have a GREATER empathic nature than you, stuff like that okay?  I like your style of writing because you debate with explanation, analogies, strong belief and compassionate perspective.  Never shy questions away from me.  If you want to know for sure how I believe or reflect on a topic or matter, don't sit back in your chair and assume; by all means please,please ask me.

46. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

Well reading most, not all of the comments here the things that come to my mond are:
    If I believe whole heartedly in Jesus but not the doctrines of the Church am I still a "Christian"?

The word was made flesh and therefore each and everyone of us are the Word of God.

When God said to have no other gods before thee (in one version of the ten commandments) wht happened to the other gods. They should be fine to believe in then as long as you bleive in that supererior God above all the rest of them.

Gving tithes and first fruits----to GOD---NOT some Church.  So what are *first* fruits then and are their other than first--fruits--as in second and thrids and so forth?

God loves us and we in turn are supposed to love him.  Jesus talks about *HIS* father but he doesn't say anything about the father of any one  else.

47. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Acts 2: 34
    34for David did not go up to the heavens, and he saith himself: The Lord saith to my lord, Sit thou at my right hand,

48. Andrew0208 profile image56

A Christian is one who now has a recreated human spirit by the Word of God. He does not argue the integrity of God's Word.

He/She ought not to be religious, but walks wholly in Love.

1. profile image0

Hi Andrew-
      You know, I never knew that Christians were not allowed to question the "integrity" of God's Word".  Wow!  Where did you get that information?  I'd like to study it for myself.

The "WORD of GOD" has always been interpeted by man    .....hm?   Does everyone agree with Andrew?  Isn't man capable of making mistakes?

I question the SUPPOSED Word of God everyday.roll  Funny how my integrity in God beliefs has grown so much over the years- that I honestly believe if Mt. Everest was hollow, my personal integrity and love for his doctrine could fill it up whole.   Oh and there is one more question I'd like to ask.  How does someone start your "wholly" walk in "love"?

Remember, the Scriptures were inspired by the Holy Ghost.
        Jesus admonishes us to love one another, for you can't say you love God without loving your neighbor or the next person close to you.

Walking in Love also means that you're the one who always forgives and intercedes in prayers for your brethren. It's easy because the grace to walk in Love is much more available in you as a believer in Christ Jesus.

2. Jouneyman2 profile image57
      Jouneyman2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Really Andrew? Then why did Christ himself COMMAND that those who claim faith and belief in Him PROVE what He says to be factual according to God's teachings or not?
      2 Thes. v 21 and Isa. 28 v 9 - 13. I trust in no man, especially one who claims to be a Christian with his or her mouth...yet teaches to the contrary of God's Word; save he that proves his character in the sight and Word of the Lord.

49. Lady Guinevere profile image67

John 10 (Young's Literal Translation)

John 10
    1`Verily, verily, I say to you, He who is not entering through the door to the fold of the sheep, but is going up from another side, that one is a thief and a robber;

2and he who is entering through the door is shepherd of the sheep;

3to this one the doorkeeper doth open, and the sheep hear his voice, and his own sheep he doth call by name, and doth lead them forth;

4and when his own sheep he may put forth, before them he goeth on, and the sheep follow him, because they have known his voice;

5and a stranger they will not follow, but will flee from him, because they have not known the voice of strangers.'

6This similitude spake Jesus to them, and they knew not what the things were that he was speaking to them;

7Jesus said therefore again to them, `Verily, verily, I say to you -- I am the door of the sheep;

8all, as many as came before me, are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them;

9I am the door, through me if any one may come in, he shall be saved, and he shall come in, and go out, and find pasture.

10`The thief doth not come, except that he may steal, and kill, and destroy; I came that they may have life, and may have [it] abundantly.

11`I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd his life layeth down for the sheep;

12and the hireling, and not being a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, doth behold the wolf coming, and doth leave the sheep, and doth flee; and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep;

13and the hireling doth flee because he is an hireling, and is not caring for the sheep.

14`I am the good shepherd, and I know my [sheep], and am known by mine,

15according as the Father doth know me, and I know the Father, and my life I lay down for the sheep,

16and other sheep I have that are not of this fold, these also it behoveth me to bring, and my voice they will hear, and there shall become one flock -- one shepherd.

17`Because of this doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that again I may take it;

18no one doth take it from me, but I lay it down of myself; authority I have to lay it down, and authority I have again to take it; this command I received from my Father.'

19Therefore, again, there came a division among the Jews, because of these words,

20and many of them said, `He hath a demon, and is mad, why do ye hear him?'

21others said, `These sayings are not those of a demoniac; is a demon able blind men's eyes to open?'

22And the dedication in Jerusalem came, and it was winter,

23and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the porch of Solomon,

24the Jews, therefore, came round about him, and said to him, `Till when our soul dost thou hold in suspense? if thou art the Christ, tell us freely.'

25Jesus answered them, `I told you, and ye do not believe; the works that I do in the name of my Father, these testify concerning me;

26but ye do not believe, for ye are not of my sheep,

27according as I said to you: My sheep my voice do hear, and I know them, and they follow me,

28and life age-during I give to them, and they shall not perish -- to the age, and no one shall pluck them out of my hand;

29my Father, who hath given to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to pluck out of the hand of my Father;

30I and the Father are one.'

31Therefore, again, did the Jews take up stones that they may stone him;

32Jesus answered them, `Many good works did I shew you from my Father; because of which work of them do ye stone me?'

33The Jews answered him, saying, `For a good work we do not stone thee, but for evil speaking, and because thou, being a man, dost make thyself God.'

34Jesus answered them, `Is it not having been written in your law: I said, ye are gods?

35if them he did call gods unto whom the word of God came, (and the Writing is not able to be broken,)

36of him whom the Father did sanctify, and send to the world, do ye say -- Thou speakest evil, because I said, Son of God I am?

37if I do not the works of my Father, do not believe me;

38and if I do, even if me ye may not believe, the works believe, that ye may know and may believe that in me [is] the Father, and I in Him.'

39Therefore were they seeking again to seize him, and he went forth out of their hand,

40and went away again to the other side of the Jordan, to the place where John was at first baptizing, and remained there,

41and many came unto him, and said -- `John, indeed, did no sign, and all things, as many as John said about this one were true;'

42and many did believe in him there.

Lady Guinevere, do you believe in Christ Jesus? This thread examines the true nature of a Christian in Spirit and in Truth. Not the play of religion. Both Believers and Unbelievers are gladly welcome.

Would it make a difference?

Believing is a choice. I asked that question to know your true identity.

Who do yu say that I am?---Is not that what Jesus asked the people who were going to kill him?  Don't be shy, you can read my profile.

Then, why speak like an unbeliever? Saying that the Scripture IS broken.

Afraid to read that Bible eh?  Well I have said why it is broken and so it says in the Bible but I cannot help it if you "choose" to ignore the words in the Bible and listen to some MAN who *thinks* he has the answer to YOUR salvation.
                There is nothing else that I can say to you and Mark said it too.
                Did Jesus talk as an Unbeleiver?  How about you.  What makes and unbleiver---someone who doesn't want to have to be told what to think and how to read the Bible?  hmmmm very closed minded indeed.  That is NOT what Christ showed us................  And there it come----more name calling when you are too afraid to learn outside your tiny little box.  YOU nor anyone else can keep Jesus and God in a box and you all be the only ones with the code to show others just a tiny part of them.  No one has that permission.........absolutely noone!

Very interesting, I've read all those garbage in the name of self, science and evolution.I term them as "The Pride of the Mind"
                  I've also pointed to you earlier about the Holy Spirit who teaches better than any mortal. Hard and too Big for you and Mark to believe. I'm not talking about reading the whole Bible and being able to quote them. After all, Lucifer quoted them to Jesus but never believed, just to get Him deceived like he did to Adam and Eve.  This is history and not fairy tale for they all happened and were recorded.

An unbeliever is one who doubts, argues, and despises the work of the Scriptures and the realities of the Holy Spirit. The Word of God is Truth and His Way is Perfect.

Nothing can be truer than the Truth.

The Spirit Rules! Jesus is the Lord of Hosts.

When did I ever say that I despised the Word?  When are you going to read that Bible?  When are you going to open your eyes that just maybe that Bible may be the word of your Satan just to throw your off to the true oneness of all of us? Just when are you going to try to understand others instead of condemn them to hell?  Just when are you ever going to do as Jesus Christ says and does?  Just at what point in time did you ever get that I do not believe in Jesus Christ?....I know when--when I didn't go along with your church taught assumptions and doctrines.  Jesus is NOT in your churches and Jesus says that the temple is you--your body.............nevermind you just don't get it............maybe someday.....but not right now.  You are too hung up on what Man has to offer and not what Jesus teaches.  Material world! smile
                    So be it!

50. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

I'm 100% with Mark on the spaghetti god.
    Ignorant by choice religious nuts freak me out. They never listen to or read anything other than what they already believe.
    The devil is a great convenience belief for all the gutless wonders who cannot face up to who is doing the wrong in the world. It is you, not the devil, you weasels!
    Wake up, grow a few more brain cells and read something other than the psychotic ramblings of you man made religion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)