Christianity borrowed/plagarised from more ancient religions

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago
    1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you seen the take on religion in the movie Zeitgeist?
      It's on youtube.

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christianity is plagerized from another religion, Judaism. Obviously the new testament consistantly quotes the old testament. Some folks call that the fufillment of prophecy.

3. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's believed that in Judaism, the atonement and judgment part of Rosh haShanah and Yom Kippur were borrowed from the Babylonian religion of the time of the Jewish exile to Babylon. (There are probably other examples as well, but that one comes to mind)

However, there are two beliefs that the author seems to have misattributed to Judaism:
      - there is no concept of hell or any form of permanent/eternal punishment in Jewish thought
      - there is no concept of an apocalypse in Judaism
      Both of these exist in Christian doctrine, though.

4. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Zoroastrianism,

Excellent article.  I agree with some of the Zoroastrianism teachings like God creating good and a separate evil entity creating evil, which is contrary to Jewish beliefs.  It is a fact that Judaism was heavily influenced by paganism.  Therefore the prophecy of a divine messiah was tossed out in favour of an earthly one and that is the very reason why Jesus is rejected by Jews.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not disputing that point of view but adding to it.

The Jews were expecting the Messiah to come in the manner in which  they understood, from reading the writings of their prophets.

They understood the writings of Daniel to say that before the coming of the Messiah, they must endure life under the dominion of four great Empires.
          They understood that under the reign of the fourteenth king of the fourth Kingdom, the Messiah will come to redeem them.

According to their understanding; Jesus was nine kings and almost a hundred years too early.  Daniel 7: 23 & 24

Had Jesus came when they were expecting him to come,
           Had Jesus come in the manner they were expecting him to come,
           Had Jesus fulfilled their EXPECTATIONS  they would have believed who he was.
           Had they not misunderstood these prophesy correctly?

But, in psalmes it is written that their eyes will be blinded that they not recognize the Messiah when he comes.

So the fact that the Hebrews rejected him does not prove that Jesus wasn't who he said that he was.

Jesus said that there were some standing right there in front of him that shall not taste of death before they see the son of man coming in the clouds of heaven, sitting at the right hand of God,  And they didn't acknowledge that either, because that didn't happen in the manner in which they were expecting it to happen.
           None of the prophesy were fulfilled the way in which we were expecting them to have been fulfilled.

Most Christians are blindly awaiting the fulfillment of prophesy the same way in which most Jews are awaiting the first coming of the Messiah. 

How ironic is that?

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

You are preaching to the choir with me friend smile
    I doubt even Jesus would approve of the churches built around him hmm

3. tom_caton profile image79
    tom_catonposted 13 years ago

Think a bit was nicked from Mythraism too, such as the virgin birth, though its possible that Mythraism also had it's origins based in Zoroastrianism.

Christianity also took a lot from the local religions as it spread out, such as with the Celtic Irish. From their beliefs they incorporated the stories of St. Brigid, who was in Celtic lore a Goddess, they turned the Goddess into a pious, charitable, saint, who's story is taught as fact in Irish primary schools

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been looking up zoroastrianism - some say there is archeological evidence that it predates christianity; of course, christians say their texts are older.  Any accurate info on Zoro?   Jesus and Zoroaster same kinds of legends?

Can anyone write a hub on this with references?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this
        1. profile image0

excellent link

2. tom_caton profile image79
        tom_catonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Zoroastrianism predates christ by a long way, when the priests of Zoroastrianism were trying to come up with an origin date (apparently by counting back generations of priests) they came up with 10th century B.C.

Also they did this solely because the Seleucid Empire tried to initiate a new calender in the vein of the Age of Alexander, which Zoroastrian priests disagreed with.

So even if the calculated date of origin is wrong, the priests who made the calculation were from an earlier time than Christ

3. profile image0
        Chasukposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Zoroastrianism inarguably predates Christianity by at least five centuries. Not much of their sacred texts texts survive, and what does survive is in the form of a compilation from the  3rd or 4th century AD. However, the originals are thought to been composed no later than 300 BC.

1. profile image0

and the earliest christian gospels were 80-100AD?

1. profile image0

Yes. Even if they were composed the year Jesus was born,  the Zoroastrian texts are older.

1. profile image0

maybe you should write something, as I couldn't find much on net confirming that; mainly stuff from christians claiming opposite

1. profile image0

I used to work in London three days a week. I traveled there by train, and frequently shared a car with several Zoroastrian teenage girls. They were traveling to a London Baha'i center on the same days that I was traveling to work. This was in the mid-1990s. I'm not sure whether this is still true, but in those days, in London, the Baha'is and the Persians were very friendly towards each other.

Anyway, that's where I learned what I know about Zoroastrianism. Maybe I should write a hub about it.

1. profile image0

yes, that would be very interesting.  I've been digging a bit about history of christianity & religion in general, but I would have to do a lot of research before I would feel confident enough to tackle it.

2. profile image0

could texts have been deliberately destroyed?  I read that christians went thru a phase of burning down libraries, for instance

1. pisean282311 profile image62
            pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

not by christians...those place was never conquered by christians...it was pretty much Zoroastrian belt till muslims took over...

1. profile image0

you sound like you know a lot about evolution of religion?

not lot ...but at core all religions are more or less same...some like hinduism are liberal...it has all paths lead to god concept...others are strict...like Abrahamic ...only my path and my prophet/god is real kinds...but if we dig deeper ...all end up in similar lines...the thought process becomes same as we go deeper ...beyond rituals...now some might say since divinity began religion so it has to be same...but i believe evolution is the answer...

1. profile image0

zoroasterism was first monotheistic religion?  polytheism preceded mono?  poly would have been when some land masses separated as many separated ancient peoples had their oral mythologies?

well i dont think there was any first mono religion ....since humans began to think , questions like who m i , why i am here, what happens after death, where do our loved ones goes , who control nature might have poped up...there might have been various thoughts ...some might have been mono too...for e.g. oldest veda ,verse starts with concept of god which has not shape , size ...which controls everything , which creates , which was always there, which predates before time and which is cause and matter...something like that..it has glimpes of mono in it...so i think mono and poly might have been parallel thoughts...but poly was more popular since humans work in that fashion....we dont have single person doing everything ...be it be government or corporate or even family...so poly was natural thing...but when humans evolved....who is the boss theme too might have got stronger...paving way to ultimate deity...and finally came modern religions...

4. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Wow, what an amazing coincidence.  I just saw a documentary on the discovery channel about this very same topic.  talk about timing there. tongue  i know many archealogists and historians speculate that either the bible was plagarised OR they could all be referring to the same event that happened in history, but from a different perspective.  Which one is the definitive answer, it's tough to say.  Although you got to admit, it's fun learning about history.  At least for me anyway.  lol. Not as much fun as learning about movies, and their history, but it's fun nonetheless.

1. profile image0

I'd imagine it's more of the former - all these oral traditions passed down

5. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

@ts

zoroastrianism is older one...i think instead of viewing religion as divine ...we must view it as evolution of though...iran plays very important role in religion...largely there are two different set of religion which are in majority...one being abhramic and other being from India...the vedic concepts began in iran and then aryans migrated to India ...from there came hindusim and its off shoots...so iran might very well be focal point for all major religions...

1. profile image0

does anyone have any hubs that match up the evolution & migration of people with evolution of religion?  I'm curious eg how ancient separated cultures all had their oral traditions, mythologies, art etc

some of stories are similar...like great flood...you can find it in hinduism and abhramic religions ...both...in hinduism it is manu while noah in other and by some other name in another...but story is same...that too makes me wonder about similar origin of all religions...let us take virgin birth concept...now that is for christ and 5 characters of largest epic too which is part of hinduism...then we have concept of child born at 90+ age in most religions...there are many similar or same stories...

1. profile image0

yes, have heard there are many stories in common.   Would love to read more hubs on this stuff (I won't attempt to write any, as would need to do a lot of digging) - history's not my thing

2. profile image0

this link is interesting:
          http://www.teachinghearts.org/dre04legends.html

talks about mythologies in common eg tree, dispersion, creation, flood etc

3. evvy_09 profile image59
          evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A great flood is in nearly every cultures legends, I think.  Also several stories from different countries tell of a great man that talked about peace and love and tried to unite everybody together.  Hiawatha, Buddha and others I can't remember.  I was really interested on religious similarity in high school but have forgotten much of it.   It's part of what made me form the opinion that any one religion only has part of the story.  And if God is real why wouldn't he care about all cultures?

1. profile image51
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Creator-God cared and cares about all cultures; that is why the similarities in different religions. The Messengers Prophets of all religions and in parts of the world received the same original message; the people  could not secure it that made the difference.

2. profile image0

exactly.  I'm going to put together  a hub (my next one) - a compilation of the influences of religion, particularly christianity - it will have links to the many hubs that have more detail about various aspects.  If anyone has a great hub related to the evolution of religion, particularly christianity, & how they are all based on the same mythologies, let me know so I can link and promote it.

1. evvy_09 profile image59
              evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will be sure to read it when you are done!  I find the similarities fascinating.

1. profile image0

It's going to be mainly a compilation - I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I will instead link to interesting stuff I found and comment on why I found it interesting

2. profile image0

has just published it - evolution of christianity & other religions.  Hope I got all my facts straight

6. secularist10 profile image59
    secularist10posted 13 years ago

Zoroastrianism is widely established as having predated Christianity by many centuries. I'm a little surprised to hear that some Christians deny that. Just another example of twisting and contorting the objective facts to suit their own purposes, I guess.

We know that ideas such as a savior offering salvation, miraculous and even virgin births, prophets with special powers and resurrection from the dead existed in various forms in various times and places before and during Christianity's development.

On this topic the following information is very insightful:

http://www.religionfacts.com/christiani … ontext.htm

In order to understand early Christianity, one must understand the bubbling stew of new religions and cults and faith communities in the Mediterranean world at the time of Jesus. The beliefs and messages of Jesus' particular movement bear striking similarity to other contemporary cults and religious movements in the Roman empire.

Subsequently, as Christianity expanded, it definitely incorporated the customs and ideas of local groups and cultures. Someone mentioned a specific case of an Irish goddess-turned-saint. This type of thing occurred all over pagan Europe, as Christians adapted their religion to gain the followers. Indeed, the concept of a "saint" is, I believe, not actually in the Bible. It was basically manufactured to attract pagan converts. Today, the Catholic Church continues to use sainthood in a political way to attract converts or bring people back into the flock, by canonizing various local heroes or legendary figures in Latin America, for example.

Similar adaptations occurred vis-a-vis holidays and feasts. Christmas is a great example--the Christmas tree has pagan origins. Pagan celebrations of solstice were often adapted into the Christian fold.

An argument could be made that the Protestant split from the Catholic church was influenced in a big way by the more egalitarian and individualist cultures of northern Europe--which are precisely the cultures where Protestantism came to dominate (Germany, Britain, Sweden, Denmark, etc).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)