jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

US Army Chaplain's Assistant

1. 0
    lcecil0582posted 5 years ago

As described in the US Army's current job description for a Chaplain's Assistant;

"Army Chaplains provide for spiritual needs of Army
          personnel of any denominations.  Chaplain's Assistants
          provided much-needed support to the chaplains during
          mission and everyday activities.  A Chaplain's Assistant
          primarily provides support for the unit ministry team
          program and worship services."

My Army military career in this role spans from 1976, initial entry, to 1994 with a Honorable Discharge from U.S. Army Reserves.  I can tell you the short description above, the role of a Chaplain's Assistant is much more than the brief statement gives credit.  I am currently developing a new hub on this site which will attempt to set the record straight and place it into it's proper context as it relates to religious and business elements.  With the increasing surge of individuals seeking religious and spiritual guidance today, Pastors and Chaplains are experiencing an increase demand for their time.  The Chaplain's Assistant is an important, often unappreciated, aid to Pastors and Chaplains.  Should you wish to know more, you are welcome to e-mail me on this site.

Larry Cecil

1. Beelzedad profile image61
      Beelzedadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Funny how it's always those who produce the most good in the world and make things happen are the most under appreciated. smile

1. 0
        lcecil0582posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree.  Looking back through the years, I've always been told "God has a work for each of us to do.  Find your work and do the job."  As a Chaplain's Assistant I would do pre-counseling screening people for the chaplain.  Some people had problems with drugs or drinking or just the military system in general.  Often, they just needed someone to talk too, then they would be fine and go back to work.  No telling the hundreds of people that my conversations helped.  I finally learned that my mission in life is to be in service to others.  Unfortunately, that service is not highly valued by the world or individuals until they actually have a need, then it's the most important need in their lives.  Later on after my active duty was completed, I found my career moving into the health care sector as a construction project manager for a large health care organization in Michigan.  There's no telling the thousands of people my direct work contributed to saving their life.  Oddly enough, looking at my parents careers I see the two; Father and Mother, combined to create my career.  Father was a General Contractor and Mother was a RN. . . . . .funny how things work out that way.  Last year I was asked by one of my professors at the University for a letter of recommendation for him.  I remember telling him, not knowing if he had any belief in God or not, that sometimes God leads you out of an organization, NOT to ruin your life, but possibly to save it and to protect you, since he promises to do that.  We just have to be open to what he is doing in your life.  Sometimes, that's a scary thing to trust in, especially when you have kids, wife, mortgages and the rest. .. . . . . .Like I tell most people, take it one day at a time.  God generally does not show you the entire road map in the journey.  It's a faith thing.  This much you can be confident in, if God is finished with your work here, he will take you home to be with him.  So, if he has not done that, then you must still have a work to perform.  Be patient and wait for God to open the door. . . .trust that he will do that and you will be fine.

Larry Cecil

2. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

God bless, thanks for your service.

1. 0
        lcecil0582posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your so welcome.  Helping others in this way is one of the only pleasures in life I have left.  It's hard sometimes when you have a work to do while God is still working on you, but have come to far to refuse others, since it appears to be a gift given by God. . . . .concept; "Give and it shall be given to you", but should never be the motivating factor that compels you to give of yourself to others.

Larry Cecil