The Source of Our Rights

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (50 posts)
  1. pilgrimboy profile image67
    pilgrimboyposted 13 years ago

Our rights do not come from the Constitution; even our founders knew that.  The founders derived their belief in rights from a belief in a Creator.  Our rights are given to us by the Creator, they are given to all humans equally, and they are unalienable. 

So, in writing the Bill of Rights, the early congressmen were protecting the people from the federal government controlling religion, press, militias, etc.  At the time, the Constitution was not controlling of the states doing or not doing those things; it really dealt with the federal government.   

When we understand that our freedoms do not come from a document written a few hundred years ago, we are truly liberated.  So Obama, using the Constitution in a way that it was not intended, when he stands up for individual's rights to not be stepped on by the states is standing up for something the writer's of the Constitution should have stood up for but could not due to the political environment they were living in. 

At this point, it does not matter if a right is granted to us in the Constitution or not.  It matters if it is a right given to us by the Creator.  An atheist would have to develop another sort of foundation to build their rights on (I would love to hear some.)  No individual should have their right to worship God infringed upon unless they are expressing their right in such a way that it infringes on others rights. 

This post is in response to my reading of an old thread, but hubpages suggested that I should not resurrect it.  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/50974

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are correct sir! But even atheists have those rights and can claim them on the bassis of natural law which applies to all life on the planet.

1. weseppers profile image61
        weseppersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also agree with you lady_love158.

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God is not the source of anything , because of the fact that He doesn't exist, therefore we should understand that the rights you refer to are guaranteed by man(government), and only if that government can provide you with a good common defense and civil rights.

Why did God not grant the Native Americans their inalienable rights?  I think you get the picture.

3. Flightkeeper profile image65
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think many people forget that at the time that the Constitution was written, most people thought that some king or emperor was the one who controlled their way of life and what our Constitution was advocating was that men have inalienable rights that government cannot take from them.  It is interesting that the practice of slavery, so contrary to the Consitution's basis, was something that had to be worked around in order for the document to pass acceptance by the majority of state reps.  They knew that when they passed it, that slavery was going to have to be dealt with and would end badly.  It's what makes that part of American history so fascinating for me.

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

B.S.!

Rights come from being born. End of story.

5. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The USA has been running their constitution all along rfor 200 years without the word God in it. It show we do need Government and can live without Religion

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.  (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed.  If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful.  You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts.  Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.  (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.  Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.  (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Well Kirsten ... that's a whole lotta good stuff you just posted there. Now I just gotta find me some slaves and non-believers to buy up and abuse hmm

Which kinda makes you wonder what folks were thinking when they delivered the constitution. I hope they weren't going off the good book ...

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too!

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you posted Kirsten, it did make me think about how come anyone can buy into that? You can't change the words they are what they are. And so - there's no chance I'll ever be convinced that the bible wasn't written by the minds of men that wanted to A) control the masses and B) set themselves up to live as they pleased.

It's frightening that anyone can read those passages and declare - 'these are God's words' and believe them.

I have heard so many arguments to preserve this sense that the bible is written by God or inspired by God and the arguments just do not change those verses from the bible. Those verses make it very easy for me to understand why some atheists feel the anger they feel toward religion, those verses are simply evil, and they are found in a Holy Book? That I just don't get.

If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.  (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

The above was decreed by God? Really. And I'm told that it's all about love?

Maybe modern believers have become selective about that which they take their teachings from. And if so ... then I would ask 'if you can choose the text you wish to believe, how then can you validate the whole? You can not simply take a part of something and declare it the truth'

When you start subtracting from a whole - it loses its original value. Pure math smile

My question is, if you are selective about which teachings to accept how to make that decision? I could always select those bits that mean I can take slaves then! I mean I would love to live the lazy life and profit off of other peoples labor, call it my own and be blessed by God for it! I think a court of law wouldn't give a damn that I was blessed to do so by this or that passage from the bible tho hmm Too bad too, guess I will have to go back to working for myself then lol

Ohhhh that's the easy part Kirsten. You simply pick and choose from the best pits, the text that works best with your lifestyle, your ideals and so on. You then go off and quote them ad infinatum, leaving out the nastiness, the parts of the text you'd rather no one knew about - in case someone asked questions you couldn't adequately answer.

I was of the opinion that the bible was a whole though? Or so you'd believe from what gets bandied around in this forum?

lol
                  I am still waiting for someone to come along and justify, er I mean explain those horrid passages.

As you appear far more knowledgeable than I in matters relating to the Good Book (or not so good) then why not start a thread about the very thing you wonder on. Me too. I'm doing some wondering.

We agree that a whole is a whole and a half is but half - yes?

@ wilderness - I submit to no man. We work together or there is no 'we' smile

4. kirstenblog profile image78

Yet many gospels were omitted from the bible for some reason hmm
    I guess the gospel of Mary didn't have good passages to allow for people to justify their selfish life choices. Or any of the other omitted books.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mary was only a woman - such lower classes are not to be awarded the same rights.  Don't forget that women must submit to their husbands instead of making their own decisions. 

Besides, if we allow women any power over others who knows where it might go?  If we respect the thoughts and wisdom of women it could conceivably affect the power base of the bible writers someday!  No, better to completely disregard what women have to say and bury their false wisdom far away from right-thinking men.  Better safe than sorry!

Is that why so few people seem to listen to me? Cause I am a woman? lol

Daily, I could save my hubby much time and stress if only he actually listened to me! *shakes head* tongue

That's it, Kirsten, in a nutshell.  Women are so incredibly inferior (plumbing so defective they have to actually sit!) that men are bound to not listen.  They cannot listen, for to do so might contaminate or change their ignorance. 

So they leave out the book of Mary and ignore kirstenblog. lol

It would be horrible to change the ignorance of men! tongue lol
            They might forget how to use the member where their brains are really stored! tonguetongue

Oh, I don't know.  They are not supposed to use that member anyway, unless producing more ignorant men from their subjugated wife or more women to cook and clean.

Plus, they can always just buy more slaves from the foreigners living amongst them instead of waiting years for infants to develop. big_smile

May be that changing the ignorence of men is not so bad then, as they do use that member for more then just making new men and women to do the dirty work wink

Most men I know have spilt a sperm or two (billion) recreationally lol

5. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

There are only two god given rights - the right to take whatever you have the strength to take and the right to give up what other, stronger, people can force you to give up.

All other rights come from man, primarily through government of some kind.  Even those rights originating from religion come from government as religion is a form of government to those subjugated by the priesthood.

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True statement....   All else are privileges that also can be taken as quickly as they were given.

Two more rights.
        To Feel; and
        the right to breath till we quit.

I don't know about the right to breathe - just ask all the first born (Egyptians?) that lost that right because they kept a few slaves.

And most feelings (lust for your neighbor for instance) are also forbidden by God.  Man allows it, but not God.

Well they took the wrong kinds of slaves, obviously tongue

2. Jerami profile image59

Ya missed the part that said;  till ya quit QUIT breathing.

And Ya still got the right to feel, even of the stuff in which you speak.....   Ya might get a spanking for it, ...   But ya still got the right to do it.

6. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Source of Our Rights

What is the source of our obligations? I think it is related with the source of rights.

7. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

When people read from the bible and the discussion talks about slaves and masters from my prospective I believe God is dealing with us (mankind) at the ignorance level we are at- trying to tell someone something they just is not going to understand would be useless in the same way we can't tell a baby boy to start acting like an adult.

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which is silly, considering the nature of Creator and mankind. The Six Realities man was given full dominion over contradict those presented written the text of Torah and correspondences deemed New Testament. Are those writings placed there for man to realize this lacking intellectual mentality, as well as, spiritual neglect. Indeed so.
      Yet still one persists on stealing --yes, stealing-- another Testimony, having none of their own while the other disputes a Testimony they have no desire to apply/ascertain or otherwise.

The foolishness of mans "thinking"...

James.

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is absurd for an adult to have such shallow thinking.

3. kirstenblog profile image78

So God allows evil to continue to placate the ignorant then?
      That is what I am getting from your comment.
      This God we are supposed to be talking about, you know, the all powerful deity who can do ANYTHING (thats how the story goes anyway). Anything but tell us to stop being dicks to each other I guess. roll

8. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

When a nonbeliever can demonstrate something more then opinion they are doing the very thing they acuse believers of doing-Nothing!

9. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Everyone speaks of these God given "RIGHTS"  as expressed in the U.S. constitution.

Where are these "RIGHTS" spoken of is scripture?

I can't think of one!

SO!,  it seems to me that our rights are no more than an agreement that Government has entered into with those living under its jurisdiction. They are also subject to change and/or termination.   

So it seems as though our rights are a figment of our imaginations.

1. Flightkeeper profile image65
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol Yes, that is what they seem to be arguing.

1. Jerami profile image59

Sorry it took so long to respond,  I'm on call and gotta leave on a moments notice.

I don't what is to argue about on that issue.

Human rights are nothing more than an Ideology, which flourishes more in some neighborhoods than others.

2. wba108@yahoo.com profile image77
      wba108@yahoo.composted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me attempt to address this issue about the source of inalienable rights. The right to life is mentioned as "thou shalt not kill. The word kill refers to murder. The New Testament condemns murder in the Gospels. The right to liberty is indirectly implied in the scriptures because God desires a relationship that is not coerced but it is by our own free will. God always gave man a free choice to accept or reject Him. This freedom existed back in the garden of Eden when Adam and Eve given a choice of whether to eat the forbidden fruit. The right to not be defrauded is addressed in the biblical command not to steal which is also found in the new testament.  There are another 3 or 4 inalienable rights mentioned in the Constitution but I'll start with these. Hope this helps.

10. kirstenblog profile image78

By the way I will tell a child to stop being hurtful to another child, with no hesitation and with a strong seriousness intended to instil a little fear wink
    I just don't think God would shy away from making it clear that Rape and Slavery are WRONG IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES REGARDLESS, no matter the age of mankind. You don't not tell small children not to touch hot stoves just cause they are young.

11. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The Source of Our Rights

The sources of our rights stem for the social history of every country; these should be the same as envisaged in the Word of the Creator-God known as Quran.

12. 2besure profile image81
    2besureposted 13 years ago

It is amazing how some people try to use the Constitution as though it is some holy decree.  It is not the Bible, but rules established by people of that time, subject to change and growth as we move forward in time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)