May 21, 2011

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Fluffymetal profile image75
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/

What do you think about this?

1. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was OK with the page, UNTILL the date 1988.
      The supposed beginning of the "Great Tribulation". They lost me on that one.

Th Bible says, of that time, that it (will be) a time of suffering, such as never before seen in human history. I don't see anything "outstanding" about the year 1899 (or any recent years) along those lines.

Secondly, "no man knows of the day, nor the hour...) Jesus' own words.

I am a believer, but anyone trying to put a date on this event, is not credible. (Not on the subject of the end times, anyway.) The end will surely come, but when?   ....we'll have to wit and see!

BTW, I will not be cancelling my plans for that day (May 21 2011). lol

2. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So does that mean the 2012 prophesy is bogus? And I was so looking forward to that one.

3. cceerpp profile image57
      cceerppposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only. As were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of man. For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they did not know until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of man. (Matthew 24:35-39 RSV)

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

It could be a lot funnier.  They've started with a great idea, ridiculous nonsense plus some religious twaddle, but then they've just kept on and on with it.  I scanned it, but there were no further jokes.

If I had to read the whole thing I'd be hoping the End came a bit sooner.

To be more serious for a moment.  It beggars belief that A) someone would write such a load of boring preposterous crap and B)anybody might read it.

But hey, if there's money in this stuff I'll knock some out.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I always wonder what these people do AFTER their promised date.

Seriously: has anyone ever done a study of the Doomsday nuts?  There is a never ending supply, so finding subjects should not be hard.

I'm going to bookmark that page. I wonder how long it will be there after May 21.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They've gone to a lot of effort, and I can't quite see the sales angle.

You could have your own bumper sticker and spread the word.

http://www.biblecalculator.com/signs.html

The word being "I'm a nutter" of course.

But I suspect they are making money out of this.

I might check up on May 20th just to make sure it's still going ahead.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suppose there could be an angle- donations, probably, but I suspect most of these folks are genuine nutters who firmly believe every word.

4. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

There are so many end of days nutters out there, that one day one of them will get the date of the end of the world right purely by chance. They might just be surprised where they get to spend eternity though! LOL smile

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

How considerate of them to wait till 2 days after MY birthday! I will have to make this celebration one for the history books lol

We survived Y2K and somehow I suspect we will still all be here 5/22/11 as well.

Fluffymetalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It IS my birthday!!!!

6. Beege215e profile image57
    Beege215eposted 13 years ago

Wow!! How bad can it get. Can I share your B-day cake, I 'm not gonna get one this year.  OMG!!  The math was just too much for me. first one day is a thousand years then a thousand years is one day. I got confused with that one. Which is which? Am I really that old. Dogs get 7 years for one human, but a day is a thousand years so I am too old to count.  Better idea, I think I will ignore this fool and plan a giantic party for my b-day.

7. Beege215e profile image57
    Beege215eposted 13 years ago

I really can spell,  gigantic

8. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

This whole issue is more serious than it appears to people with more than half a brain.

Yesterday we dropped into a 'church' here in China for material for a 'dicover the real China' hub to support our China holidays website coming soon to find a late-middle aged woman haranguing around 50 people, mostly late-middle aged women, with creationism - which was clearly winding its way to the end of the world. 

This uses the idea for barnstorming and headline-shocking
    vulnerable people. The spreading of the nonsense goes the same way as 'gossip' mode.  I guess another brand of christian will then turn up with the good news that what those others told them is rubbish and really it is like this . . . . .

I find myself more and more in support of china's stance that bans proselytising, even though I am a keen defender of free speech generally.

9. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 13 years ago

Ever since man's beginning, he has been hoping for the end.  It gives people a frame by which to set their lives.  There seems something more comforting to some people to believe their end will take place at the same time as the rest of humanity, rather than on their own in some hospital bed.  Even Christ said that the end would happen within the lifetime of the generation then living.  That was 2000 years ago, and still we are waiting. 

As a former Jehovah's Witness, I knew all about the "End Times."  According to that religion, the end was to be in 1874, then 1914, then 1925, then 1974, then simply within the lifetime of the generation who were old enough to remember the outbreak of the Great War.  Now, Jehovah's Witnesses just say "soon" when asked when it is coming. 

Of course, our little planet will have an end, just as it had a beginning, but this probably won't be for billions of years.  By then the human race will have long since ceased to be.

Fluffymetalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed smile

10. lady_love158 profile image61
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

I don't worry about the end. When it comes... it comes! I don't have any control over it, I can't change it or effect it in any way, so there is no sense in worrying about it. However, I can control how I love my life and I can live it as if the end were coming tomorrow and I know it, in fact, we can all live that way, then perhaps we'll be a little kinder to each other.

11. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

If this was true people will be panicking all over the world now. It doesn't make sense and it is just someone's intepretation of the Bible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)