Cannibalism in the bible

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

Do you find the idea of eating Jesus' flesh & drinking his blood yucky

http://myownweirdness.blogspot.com/2008 … sm_13.html

His disciples found his 'eat my flesh' teaching hard to swallow.

Jesus clearly spells it out "Very truly unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you." (Jn 6:53)
    Many followers left him saying "who can follow this teaching." Christ let them leave. He did not say "Hey, you have it all wrong, come back, its just a metaphor – a symbol- its not really my flesh"

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

bible verses about cannibalism (don't see it condemned anywhere, just like slavery wasn't condemned)

http://www.openbible.info/topics/cannibalism

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've always heard it was symbolism for taking in the knowledge. Its kind of creepy the way you take it. Maybe there was no prohibition in the Old Testament because that was something they already knew was wrong. Are there any references to them actually eating other people?

1. profile image0

yes, it said the mothers cooked their children & ate them

2. profile image0
        Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bailey, it is a symbol. Much like everything created in the world today. It is not a literal meaning. His "flesh" was a piece of bread, his "blood" was a glass of wine.

1. profile image0

I read that the catholics believe the wine and bread literally transform into the blood and flesh of christ.  Jesus didn't say it was a metaphor - his disciples were quite offended by it

1. Abbasangel profile image64
            Abbasangelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Catholics do believe that it becomes the actual body and blood of Christ however its a symoblic thing to do to remember Jesus until the day of his return...

2. profile image0
            Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why and how they would get that assumption when it's not even stated as so in the bible. And considering Jesus always talked in parables, I do not see how his disciples could take it in a literal since. Strange things I suppose. The way I've always viewed it was a symbolic thing. He took bread and wine, so there shouldn't be a reason to take it literally.

1. profile image0

Yes, not to appear to be bashing the catholics, I still think their structure immediately started trying to separate the individual from their Creator. You need a priest as your mediator, to get to your Mediator. Very strange take on the New Testament to me.

2. profile image52
              paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.
              It is a fabrication of the Church; nothing to do with Jesus. Quran does not mention it.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If we look at it in the light you are presenting it, not only are we cannibalistic, but also vampires too.

1. profile image0

Hey, you're right. Vampires are pretty popular now. Maybe people will stop bashing Christians so hard if they think that. At least, thinking we're that, it might put the fear of God in them.

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jesus is the Word of God.  To eat the Word of God is to be like Christ.  To drink his blood is to follow after the spirit of God, which is the Holy Ghost. 

John 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you SirDent for summing this up.

4. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to correct you, but Jesus DID clarify the issue. He clearly taught His disciples that it was a Spiritual lesson (metaphor).

You should always read statements in context, as it fits into what was said before and after.

John6;60
      When many of his disciples heard it, they said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?” 61But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, “Do you take offense at this? 62Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64But there are some of you who do not believe. (emphasis mine)

You fit into the statement in verse 64.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...oops...thought it said cannabis for a moment....

...no comment from the peanut gallery...  big_smile

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The largest group ever in cannibalism in human history are the Aztec’s and the high priest would eat the hearts. My ex wife was an Aztec and Christian, I didn't fear God but she did try to eat my heart.

1. profile image0

I feel for you man. Sounds like double trouble.

You mean, one of my troubles, is that I don't fear God.
          Why? If God is all loving and all people are God.

Understanding and acceptance in time is a cure for all fears and love is the most important behavior in the world and Love Conquer All.

1. profile image0

No silly. Your girlfriend. Lets hope love conquers her desire to eat organ meat.

A girlfriend would of been sweet , my ex wife hated men. It all balances out though, I have a daughter from my ex who I love most.

2. profile image0

I saw an article about some hindus getting arrested for eating the organs of a child.  Eating 'gods' isn't unheard of

About 1/5 of the world's cows live in India and you eat any of them, wail millions starve. I wonder if any cultures eat dumb people.

1. profile image0

some cultures still practise cannabalism & some did so until very recently

3. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I know that everyone is getting tired of me saying that not everything that Jesus said to his disciples were applicable to everyone.   But here I go again.

Jesus commanded his disciples to "do this in remembrance of Me"
       Paul once mentioned seeing the disciples taking communion.
      He doesn’t mention doing it himself.
    But I don't recall any other mention of this taking place.
    If this is true?
    I am not saying that we shouldn't do it. I'm just asking; where is it written that all believers are commanded to take communion?

4. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Cannibalism in the bible

The idea of eating Jesus' flesh & drinking his blood is not given by Jesus; it is the mentality of the sinful scribes at work that makes the Catholics look like cannibals.

They need to be reformed.

1. profile image0

I asked you a question on another thread.  Maybe you missed it.  I'll ask here.  How many animal sacrifices have you done for God?

1. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Animal sacrifice was done away with Abraham; it is mentioned in the OT; it is for this that Issac and Ishmael lived; otherwise they would have been killed.

Jesus being killed on the Cross was therefore not needed anymore; it is a mythical fabrication of the sinful Paul and the sinful Church for their own selfish motives.

1. profile image0

If animal sacrifice was done away with Abraham, why did Moses write so much about it?  And stoning for breaking the law.  How come you have not been stoned for breaking the law?

5. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

Animal sacrifices was done away with; Jesus Christ offered his life as a ransom sacrifice, there was no need to do anymore sacrifices.

You mention drinking his blood; does that mean you have your reservations about blood completely?

1. profile image0

I know that.  You have to know the history of paar's posts.

1. LeeWalls profile image61
        LeeWallsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you know that and no I don't know his history but it's fine for me because this doesn't seem to be a very friendly discussion.

1. profile image0

To put it as simply as I can, paar believes in the law of Moses.  He believes Paul was a false prophet.  Of course now it has come to light that God did away with animal sacrifice at the time of Abraham, which means they were gone before Moses wrote so much about them.

1. LeeWalls profile image61
            LeeWallsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

1. profile image0

You're welcome.

6. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Travis_S_Music wrote:
    I wonder why and how they would get that assumption when it's not even stated as so in the bible. And considering Jesus always talked in parables, I do not see how his disciples could take it in a literal since. Strange things I suppose. The way I've always viewed it was a symbolic thing. He took bread and wine, so there shouldn't be a reason to take it literally.
    I agree with you.

Paarsurrey says:

It is a fabrication of the Church; nothing to do with Jesus. Quran does not mention it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)