jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

The Meaning and Purpose of Shabbat

1. 60
    Elisah1957posted 5 years ago

Shabbat begins on Friday at sundown and ends Saturday at sundown.

It is a day of Holiness. To discern the significance; Holiness means set apart, but it also implies wholeness or completeness, which is the emphasis associated with Shabbat.It is a treaty giving of G-d acting as His seal of His Covenant. The Shabbat serves as a picture of G-d relationship with His people, as a foretaste of His Kingdom (The Eternal Shabbat) the means by helping His people recognize what He is like (Hebrews 4:1-11) (Exodus 31:12-17). Shabbat helps us to reflect the image of Our King.

Allowing us to understand under His Grace the Covenant between G-d and us is operational and guaranteed. Law has various meanings. In biblical Instruction from G-d (In Hebrew Torah) it refers to the Torah, the covenant of grace and faith, which was giving to Israel through Moses. It was used as a system based on earning favor by one own efforts and merit being (legalism) but from the biblical covenant perspective, Shabbat and other traditions (celebrations) are not (legalism) but G-d gifts and grace; Our expressions of our love and gratitude to Him. Further biblical passages offer the nature of Shabbat. (Exodus 20:8-11) and  (Isaiah 58:13-14).

Shabbat is a (24) hour period specially devoted to G-d, for praising enjoying and learning about Him. Pledging our covenant consecration to our Maker. A day of not working, not interfering or changing the national order, not disturbing the harmony of creation and no money exchange. No work is done on this day for it is symbolizes conflict, disharmony and struggle. It is a reminder of man's fall (Genesis 3)"Cursed is the ground for your sake; in the sweat of your face will you eat of it". Therefore the Shabbat gives us G-d Shalom, G-d rest of Harmony, Peace and Order.  Reminding us of the day of rest to soon arrive when the Eternal Shabbat will begain again with the harmony like that of Eden, the original Shabbat will again exist. (Genesis 2:2). The Olam Ha-Ba (The World to Come).

Our L-rd Yeshua honered and participated  in the Shabbat and celebrations for they were the gifts giving of G-d not the law. When the Pharisees accused Yeshua of defiling the Holy Day of Shabbat. Yeshua rebuked them by allowing His actions to expose their own hypocrisy for they were following the law giving of Moses but breaking many of them, one being the situation concerning Yeshua going into the temple and throwing over the tables belonging to merchants (The MoneyChangers) for they would rob the people by raising the prices of the offerings needed for sacrifice to G-d, some offerings were not even healthy, which were sold to those with whom were not even affordable to many of the poor and by the same disregard to respect to G-d using G-d temple to exchange money. (Mattathiah/Matthew 21:12).

Yeshua was allowing them in many ways to understand that their behavior in following the law would never bring them favor with G-d. (Mattathiah/Matthew 12 9-13). Yeshua crucifixion was on the Friday morning before Shabbat but by evening when all was done, Shabbat had arrived.  Miriam of Magdala and Miriam, mother of Joses waited until the Sunday to go into the tomb where Yeshua was buried to anoint His body for they first honered the Shabbat. (Mark 15:47) and (Mark 16: 1-3).

Isaiah calls Shabbat "a delight" because joy is the keynote. Care and toil, grief and sorrow are to be banished. Fasting is forbidden, mourning is suspended and sin is not mentioned so as not to diminish our joy. (Isaiah 58:13).

Shabbat, Anointed from ancient days, Though made last Conceived first.

The book of (Ezekiel: chapters 40-48) (Informative Material). Illustrating the beautiful coming events, giving the description of the New Holy Jerusalem, the sacrificing, the names giving the city gates, The Sabbaths, celebrations, the special feasts and sacred festivals, the dead sea returning  to life and The New Name of the City.

1. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Shabbat or Sabbath is the one day in seven God instructed mankind to keep "HOLY" reserved as a day of rest to worshhip God.

1. pennyofheaven profile image82
        pennyofheavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What I don't get is why one wouldn't worship God every other day of the week? Why only one day devoted to God? If one is doing Gods will, how then is that not worshiping God?

1. TLMinut profile image60
          TLMinutposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's like celebrating your child's birthday. Every day you love your child and spend time with him or her. But on a birthday, you make it all about the child - you're celebrating that the child is in your life and showing your love and appreciation in a special way.

That's what the sabbath is about toward God. It's more often and it also benefits the one who takes the day off from the normal daily work and cares of life.

For what purpose would you need to do that for God when you are doing that by actions and thoughts every minute of any other day. That is... if you are dwelling in the presence of God wholly and completely...therefore allowing the will of God to work through you?

I do understand the purpose with a child.

2. Dave Mathews profile image59
          Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Penny: You are very right, prayer and worship is important for us and to God we should do it everyday, I know I do. But God asked us to set aside one day in seven to be devoted strictly to worshipping Him. As God worked six days to create and then rested, He realizes that we too need to rest and be revitalized by him.

Ok cool.

3. 60
          Elisah1957posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello Penny,

Shabbat, It is not just for G-d but a gift from Him, Our G-d to you for the purpose of rest. A reminder of G-d rest after creation. I love Shabbat, for 24 hours I leave the toils of this world behind and enter into rest. When my children were young, After Friday Shabbat evening services. My husband, myself and our children, we would eat a feast and do nothing, the following day each shared from the bible of an event or individual of interest. There was no cleaning the house, no laundry, no cooking for you always made sure the cooking was prepared before time, enough to cover Shabbat. It is a whole (24) hours giving to share with G-d and your family from any outside interference. No one knocking at the door or ringing the bell or telephone. But at sundown on Saturday, the celebration is over, not your peace with G-d but the struggle and toils of the world.  It is said “Time to Armor Oneself.” The knocking at the door began. The work, telephone and the again annoying situations of the world subdue upon you.  It is as Isaiah says: “Shabbat is a delight , because Joy is the keynote”! It keeps one in tune of G-d deliverance soon to come, as awaited in the time of Egypt. But, this time it offers the foretaste of (The Eternal Shabbat). The everlasting peace. The world is a loud place and Shabbat offers one to tune out the noise and say “YAHOO”!!!

I can see the value in that. Thanks!

2. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 5 years ago

Elisah1957....you ought to write a hub. big_smile

These posts are too long for forum discussion.

You may even gain some credibility. hmm

1. 60
      Elisah1957posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm willed by way of the Holy Spirit in my writings and one do not tell the Holy Spirit "okay, that's enough". I do not need a Hub nor the credibility. I have already earned the credibility of man (lol) and believe, it is one giving of tic for tac.. G-d is my priority, for the words, I later wait to hear is "Good Job" welcome into your rest and reward here with me the L-rd your G-d.

A man work should not be accredited by status but by the use of his G-d giving talents being of an asset to another.

I appreciate your opinion.

3. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 5 years ago

Probably because people are so easily distracted. It's not "for" God, it's for the person.

Ah I get you. Ok makes sense!