does prayer heals?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer. [Matthew 21:21]
    If you ask anything in my name, I will do it. [John 14:14]
    Ask, and it will be given you. [Matthew 7:7]
    Nothing will be impossible to you. [Matthew 17:20]
    Believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. [Mark 11:24]

then why amputees limb don't regrow?

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to the ONLY banned christian sect here in China - if you join them and pray you get amputated arms and legs back, all the money you want and get to go to disney I expect big_smile

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

China Man: No Christian group would ever make such a declaration or promise.

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
          dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just the Bible then?

2. Stump Parrish profile image59
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If prayer heals why do so many children die when their parents chose to let their version of a witch doctor pray over them rather than let a real doctor provide medical care for a treatable condition? Obviously the seperation of church and state isn't that wide. 44 states allow you to kill your children if you have religious objections to real doctors. Several state senators and representatives have tried to get prayer healings paid at the same rate as the medical costs would be to treat the condition. Not only do they want to be able to kill their children, they want the insurance companies to pay for the murder.

The real question is, what can we do to cure those who feel they have the right to kill their children for god's glory. I thought our society had moved beyond sacrificing children to the gods. I'm wrong it seems doesn't it?

1. Soldadodedios profile image59
        Soldadodediosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Bible records that the disciple Paul had preached in many places healed many people yet he himself was inflicted with a physical malady that God CHOSE not to remove from him. Paul was going blind and he prayed and asked God to heal his sight for him. However, Paul's prayer did NOT remain unaswered. God said that Paul's weakness would be made perfect in God's strength.

Paul thought that he needed his sight to continue his ministry for God. God had to show him that sight does not slow us down, but the choices that we make. Paul did not allow his handicap to  reduce his faith in God. It doesn't mean that God does not answer prayer. It simply means that what we see as a problem in our eyes is not a problem in God's eyes.

Prayer works but it is coupled by faith. The doctors that have been trained were blessed by God with the talents to bein the field of medicine. They did ot have to pass their exams and graduate as Doctors. it means therefore that God Himself has provided us with the means to get better. Unfortunately some people believe that they must be healed by an invisible hand of God rather than the visible hand of God, his vessels who are doctors that He allowed to live and learn about medicine to help others.

Prayer works, but it must be coupled with sensible action and decisions.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm quite sure that those who worked hard to get where they are today will not appreciate your insults to their intelligence.

Funny how sensible actions and decisions should ultimately lead to not having the need to pray. smile

big_smile In lookinh over my post I realize how i could have been misinterpreted. I do not mean that doctors did not have to study because God ensured they passed. What I mean is that many people are born with different abilities, certain subjects come natural to others and certain fields of study are naturally attractive to some. Our ability and capability all comes from God. The many things that man have created certainly could not have come from self, but a God that has instilled us with the creativity and the ability to make it happen. So what I meant is that if God had not created us with the ability to understand medicine then there would be no doctors. So ultimately I was just saying that God ensured that there are people on this earth that are able to understand medicine after studying and working hard, so that He (God) could use them to save the lives of those who are sick. I hope I made myself a little bit clearer. smile

Yes, I do understand that is what you were saying, which is an insult to many people who work hard to get where they are today and do not accept your beliefs.

Yes, they can come from the self without the need for gods, but I also know why you don't understand that.

No, you have only provided contradictions to reality.

If your god "ensured that there are people on this earth that are able to understand medicine" why didn't he provide those people long ago rather than just over the last couple of centuries? Why don't we have a cure for cancer? Why are there still a great deal of things doctors don't know yet? Why are there still a great many people who die from being sick?

Or Ok ..........well I do apologize If you think that I was trying to impose my beliefs on you or on any other person here in the forum. I was simply putting forward my thoughts based upon the forum topic. Again, these are my thoughts and as you said based upon my belief system. It is not meant to insult you or any other. Thanks for understanding?

Soldadodedios

And, I was simply showing that those thoughts contradict reality.

smile

2. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prayers and medicine both are necessary for the treatment.

1. profile image0
            khmohsinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes,you cannot ignore the importance of medicine.So Prayer with medicine will heal in short time.

3. kess profile image61
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prayers in itself cannot do anything...

Any with the knowledge of Truth can accomplish anything he disires .....

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what is truth?

1. Christy Goff profile image61
          Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Truth, thats a hard one, everyone's truth is different. My truth is pray all you want, but if you don't get to a doctor, you will probably die.

2. kess profile image61

You ask all other questions except the First...
          You have answers for all questions except the First...

To not know truth is to know nothing.....

1. profile image0

To not know truth is to know nothing.....
            as you know it, kindly tell me what is truth

1. kess profile image61

Truth is that which is the begining and also the end in itself.
              It is the sum total of all things self existing and self replicating....

Thus is One

1. profile image0

Truth is that which is the begining and also the end in itself.... what is that i have heard of things that have no beginning and end and things with beginning and end. what is this stuff with a beginning and end in itself.
                again what is you mean by this begining-begining in time?

It is the sum total of all things self existing and self replicating..
                self existing i can understand. all matter is self existing. what is this self replicating? you mean like a bacteria?

1. kess profile image61

Jomine, Truth comes to those who truly desires to know it...

And those who are arrogant in their ignorance will always remain so...not accusing just saying.

Where there is a question there is a beginning and this is there is a cycle which is time.

Where there is the answer to the question,, there is an end and the cycle is completed....

Are not the  question and it's answer one and the same...?

How would you refer to the place between the question and the answer?

How would you call that place where you find both the question and it answer?

I tell you truly so long as you expect another to give you answers you can never know truth...

Then you either become Truth or remain arrogant in ignorance..

So therefore it is of most importance for you to know yourself...and ignorance shows a man nothing.

1. profile image0

as far as i know there is nothing called absolute truth. all are relative. even beginning and end ,based on time, as time itself is a concept. there is something called realty- that matter exists and so do space. beyond that what ever is there it is our imagination and opinion. opinion defers but so long as conforming to realty, may be considered as truth.
                    now then the question of arrogance
                    what is it?
                    trying to gain knowledge,  i think is not arrogance. but believing what others taught and closing mind to everything else, stifling thoughts and arguing on all that is against that particular belief may be arrogant.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60

Kess: Knowledge of Truth is not a cure all for anything. Only God can decide whether a cure should be effected or not.

1. kess profile image61

well said from a person who do not know Truth neither God....

God is Truth.

Kess: You do not know me, neither do you know my knowledge of "The Truth" nor my knowledge of "God". How do you consider yourself capable or even worthy of judging me about anything. Before you choose to make me someone I am not, you should better get to know me much much better.

Dave, you speak volumes about yourself and your knowledge of god all the time. Kess is merely making an observation based on that. smile

2. kess profile image61

Your words reveal who you are my friend....

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it never has healed for me, except maybe mentaly for a bit.  but no actual medical healing at all

5. wba108@yahoo.com profile image77
      wba108@yahoo.composted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that God's word never fail's but there are times when God chooses not to act for reasons we don't know. People who have been used to heal thousands of people, will at times run into a situation where someone who has faith and is living righteously does not get healed.

Some of the observers of the crucifixion of Jesus asked a question similar to the question raised here. They said "He saved others, why can't He(Jesus) save Himself? The answer to this question was that in this case it was His purpose to die for the sins of man.

Now I believe that its always the will of God to heal, that God's very nature is that of a healer. I don't why He doesn't when those in need of healing meet the conditions outlined in the scriptures. Yes, this may be surprising but there are conditions involved in order to be healed.

One condition that activates God's healing power is faith. Jesus often said your faith has made you well. Sometimes it was from the faith of another that the person was healed. Another condition that is related to faith is righteous living. If we don't have to faith to obey God and leave our sinful lifestyle, we don't have the faith necessary to be healed.

The faith of many is short circuited by erroneous doctrines and beliefs such as, God won't heal me because He's teaching me humility, or God doesn't heal today because we have doctors, or healing ceased with the Apostles etc. Many of these beliefs originated from doctrines formed by disappointing circumstances or by a search for answers when discouraged. We can't change our doctrines to fit our circumstances, we need to seek God to find where we're missing it.

6. Dave Mathews profile image60

Human beings were not created with parts like arms or legs that will re-grow once lost. But prayer has very strong healing ability. God hears all prayer and answers all prayer. If it is God's will to cure some sickness then He will do so and has done so in the past.

It really is amazing just how huge a can o' worms you are able to open, Dave.

There are ample threads here in which parents are praying hard to their gods for a miracle while their kids slip further and further away due to their illnesses.

Are you saying that god is answering their prayers with a big, fat, "NO!"???

What parent or child deserves that 'NO!' from your god, Dave?

I cannot assume to speak for God at any time. The GOD I believe in and pray to, I know heals people spiritually as well as physically. If His answer happenes to be "NO" then He has a good reason for denying healing at that time. His answer might become "YES" at a later date, Mr. Skeptic.

And yet, you do speak for your god, all the time.

Yes, I understand you believe that, Dave.

The problem with that, Dave, is that often he never does say "YES" at a later date, Mr. Believer. That is called reality, Dave. smile

7. profile image49
      livewellingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YOU CAN INFLUENCE YOUR WORLD THROUGH PRAYER . ELIJAH WAS A MAN LIKE PASSION LIKE US,BUT HE PRAY THAT THEY WILL  NO RAIN IN THREE YEARS AND HALF, IT WAS SO , AND HE ALSO PRAY THAT THEM SHOULD BE RAIN AND IT WAS RAIN. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOU DON'T PRAY A POWERFUL   BUT WILL PRAY TO A POWERFUL GOD

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

yes, it is some kind of psychological healing for many people, just knowing that they can heal and they have hopes keeps one happier.

3. Jordan Riley profile image57
    Jordan Rileyposted 13 years ago

ah....i guess it is only psychologically... but for some people, that is enough

4. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I know someone that's been praying for months that his mystery illness wouldn't be something that would kill him. He's a good man, pure hearted and deserves nothing other than a long, happy and healthy life.

Guess praying doesn't work because he just found he's got leukemia.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is really sad FD.

Praying also did not stop you from being Banned either - why are you still in the forums? hmm

1. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very sad indeed PD. Funny how you noticed what I'd written and the god squad didn't huh?

As for me and bannings - I don't know. I guess I fly under the radar. Or hop smile

5. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Does prayer heals?

Yes, it does.

Does the medicine heal always without exception as accurately as Mathematics or Physics?

1. profile image0

Yes, indeed.
      I just saw a recent amputee, running with his new grown limb, he got by praying!
      lol

2. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  6. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

No they don't.

7. profile image51

Does prayer heals? Yes, it does.

Medical treatment with prayers is the right solution; medicine is also created by the the Creator-God.

1. Brooke.Crawford profile image60
      Brooke.Crawfordposted 13 years ago

first of all, there is actually a hub related to this topic, and the author discusses research that has shown medically ill patients who have others pray for them have better outcomes than those who don't. it's not understood, nor is it meant to be; thus the word faith. your definition of healing may not be what was meant, and getting everything you want right when and how you want it may also not be what was meant. just because we don't understand something doesn't mean it's not valid.

That is entirely not true, in fact the studies showed that there was no correlation whatsoever. Try to get your facts straight, please. smile

2. knolyourself profile image60
      knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"The placebo effect has sometimes been defined as a physiological effect caused by the placebo". Some studies have shown that people given a placebo get well just as fast as those using whatever drug. If prayer is like the placebo affect, then it might work.

3. profile image51

Does prayer heals?

Yes, it does. Medical treatment with prayers is the right solution; medicine is also created by the the Creator-God.

Prayers and treatment are complementary not contradictory.

4. superwags profile image65
      superwagsposted 13 years ago

In a sense, yes. If someone believes strongly enough that prayer heals them then the placebo effect will have a bearing. Of course, not in the sense that the poster of this subject meant. In fact there are studies that have disproved it - in case it was needed.

5. profile image0
      khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Surely Prayers does heal,But for that how much you do with concentration and how much you have believe on this.If you have put complete concentration and self-belief then the result will be more than one hundred percent.

6. fadedsnow profile image60
      fadedsnowposted 13 years ago
    7. jay_kumar_07 profile image59
      jay_kumar_07posted 13 years ago

DOES PRAYER HEALS

NO

Prayer strengthen ourselves for to treat equally answered and unanswered prayer. This strength heals all  .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)