Priests, Nuns, and Celibacy

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Libra Rajani profile image59
    Libra Rajaniposted 13 years ago

Should priests and nuns have a choice about remaining celibate or does it go against everything the Catholic religion stands for? If you think they should, do you think it would have an impact on the molestations?

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Libra.   I'm not Catholic, but I'm curious. Is it simply tradition that holds them to the vows of celibacy; or does the Church feel that there is some scriptural imperative?  I would think that if they allowed all people that felt God's calling, married or otherwise, to become priests or nuns you would certainly see a decrease in deviant behaviour.  Just a thought from a non Catholic.

1. Christy Goff profile image60
        Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think a child molester is who they are, it doesn't matter if they are in a church or not.   The celibacy comes from being married to the church, thus being faithful, you are to be committed, if you can't do this, then it's not your calling.

2. Libra Rajani profile image59
        Libra Rajaniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi just_curious. I am catholic, but not practicing because of personal feelings in regard to the Church. I have wondered about this for some time. I believe the Church indeed feels it is a scriptural imperative. It has always been that way and I don't feel it will ever change.
        I agree that maybe if this age-old ruling were not in existence, society would see a decrease in this behaviour.
        Thanks for commenting.

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not recall there being any call to celibacy for the Levite priest of the OT.

If I am wrong please correct me.

I think that celibacy is a catholic invention. 
            MAN  MADE  rules which are detrimental to the whole.

When we start examining all the dark corners of discussion concerning excusses for why and why not., we are taking our eyes off of the issue in question.

Man made rules ?   What are they good for ?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
            DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing that I have read requires the Levites to be sex free...S/Paul is the one who taught that a man or woman who wants/called to do gods work shouldn't be married (having sex) because one who is married is more concerned about pleasing the spouse than god...so one who is to do gods work should be "married" to god only.

1. profile image0

I think you're hemming Paul in a little. He said he was unmarried, other apostles were not. I believe he said if you could remain unmarried that would be best. It was not a mandate. More like a suggestion.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
                DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not hemming at all... just pointing out who taught that thought process is all.. Seems the Catholics take it to heart...

1. profile image0

Yes. They do push the envelope with that one.

2. Flightkeeper profile image65
          Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This isn't true.  Clerical celibacy wasn't imposed until after the monks of Cluny started to gain power and reform the Catholic Church after it had been corrupted and somewhat dissipated after Charlemagne's passing. It's a very interesting part of Christian history.  There has always been a very strong monastic strain within the Christian church but it was understood at that time that celibacy was voluntarily practiced by the monks and nuns when they chose that life and not required of the clergy, although it was promoted as an ideal.

2. getitrite profile image73
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.  Since God hates sex, celibacy is required in order for Him to allow priests and nuns to be close to him, because sex is bad. sad

No sex is good.  Between a committed relationship.  But I was referring to what the catholic church requires, not my beliefs.

Hello,
        I agree that celibacy is required so nuns and priests can remain faithful to the church. However, I don't think God hates sex. He made man and woman to procreate.

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
        pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mans limited mind hates sex is more how it is.

In saying that many eastern philosophies advocate less sex to retain the yang energy. It is believed that when we use all our yang energy our physical life ceases to exist.

Perhaps Christianity refrained for the same reason way back in the day?

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the molestations are a result of the crisis in the church caused by vatican II in 1969.

As for your question, being w/ God is a beautiful thing so being celibate is fine, because you are devoting to God who we all -if saved-will spend eternity w/ anyway, why not start now?

4. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To answer part of your question - priests and nuns DO choose to be celibate.  They are made very well aware of the requirements of their chosen vocation prior to making the lifetime commitment they eventually make.

A priest studies for nine years (counting a regular college experience and their time in major seminary).  A religious (nun, sister, monk, brother) receives a minimum of three years of initial formation prior to making vows, which are then made and renewed for a period of one year at a time until the time they make their perpetual vows.  Depending on the religious community, this can be anywhere from three to six years after the three year period of initial formation.

The misunderstanding about this stems from the confusion between the words celibacy and chastity.  Celibacy is to remain unmarried and to therefore choose not to engage in sexual intimacy - since unmarried Christian people are not meant to engage in sexual intimacy.  Chastity is fidelity to God in ANY chosen state of life.  So, a vow of chastity can actually be taken by a married or unmarried individual.  There are religious communities withing the Catholic Church that are made up of families.  Their vows of chastity do not mean that the married couples do not engage in sexual intimacy.  It means that they do so only with their spouse.

These things are taught to priests and religious very clearly and very deliberately prior to vows.  So to answer the first part of your question, yes - a priest or nun SHOULD be able to CHOOSE celibacy.  And if they choose after years of formation to pursue their vows or their ordination, they HAVE freely CHOSEN celibacy.

Thanks for the question! smile

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I am a Catholic but there are some aspects that truly confound me. Celibacy in and of itself is a tall order, as humans are by nature sexual beings. But priests and nuns are asked to give up many things to pursue God's calling.
    I can't picture the Church changing such a basic tenet.
    On the other hand, the massive cover-up of the molestation -- from the Vatican on down -- is beyond comprehension.
    It certainly weakens the credibility of the Church as a pinnacle of morality!

I agree 100%!

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Oppression of desires, either sexual or otherwise, is a direct violation of human nature. In the end, it drives one insane or worse yet, to act out on others in a harmful way.

A prime example of religious doctrine being false.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Not if it is redirected as in Tai Chi or Ki chung. It has many benefits apparently.

1. profile image0

I agree with you Penny.  If it is redirected by your choice, it can probably have many benefits.  I think though when a religion or any outside force tells you 'no, you can't do that' it is a recipe for trouble because you have to want to refrain.

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mysticism is a joke, not any better than religious dogma. wink

Depends if there are health benefits and longevity as a result. To some it may not be a joke.

1. Cagsil profile image70

But there isn't. People only think there is. hmm

I don't know you could be right?

Mysticism is defined- 1) any attempt to use the mind as a "reality" creating device rather than a reality integrating organism. 2) any attempt to recreate or alter reality through dishonesty, feelings, non sequiturs, or rationalizations. 3) any attempt to ignore, evade, contradict or fake reality. 4) any creation of problems where none exist. wink

What has that got to do with redirecting energy?

Creating false reality? hmm

Supposed redirection of energy. hmm

4. Mighty Mom profile image78

I think getitrite was being facetious about God hating sex.

1. getitrite profile image73
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you,

I was trying to point out the absurdity in the crazy things that religions can dream up, and attempt to enforce.

2. Christy Goff profile image60

Sorry about that, I was actually just joking about the sex thing.  My off base sense of humor, people don't always get.  But the thing I still believe is that a pedifile is a pedifile, no matter his job.  If not, they would have consentual sex, with an adult.

Again, sorry, his or her job.

5. Mighty Mom profile image78

True, but being a Catholic schoolgirl and being told "NO!" by the priests and nuns at St. Mary's (which definitely invites rebellion), being told "NO" as a condition of doing your job, or following your calling to God's service is a reasonable request.

6. getitrite profile image73
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

I don't think God is being reasonable at all when He commands nuns and priests not to have sex.  Of course, anyone can see that this is the psychotic hang-up of some ancient humans--thinking that there is something special about being a virgin.

Actually, a lot of priests and nuns aren't virgins, when they commit themselves to the church is when sex is suppose to stop.  I don't agree with this, but that's their belief.

This is true, the nonvirgins have already tasted the forbidden fruit. That's where the problem begins. I think many are biting off more than they can chew.

Do you interpret the forbidden fruit as sex?

If it is, my husband is the best forbidden fruit I can think of. LOL

Haha!

When referring to priests and nuns, yes. In my opinion is goes back to Adam and Eve and the apple. I just think it's more difficult for individuals who want to be a priest or a nun later on in life.

ok.

7. profile image48
    lookingaheadposted 13 years ago

No, There are no commands telling a Person to be celibate. This came about due to many priests in past having divorce-wife usually got a portion from the divorce. The vatican if they will tell you the truth will have to verify that the lost too much money from divorces. So they implimented a guideline to be celebate. This again they misstated what Paul ment by being celibate like him.He treated women if you will read very much like muslim do-be quiet in church, if have question go ask your husband,etc-woman be servants to your husband, etc. Women you were made from his side to walk beside him not 3 steps behind, etc. Genesis-God commanded man and woman to marry and be FRUITFUL.Guess what this would alleviate much problems in the church. How can a priest in sin confess and pardon your sin? He can not only one on one relationship with Jesus(reason veil in temple torn from top to bottom when HE died(veil was approx. 18 plus inches thick so could not be man). He opened the Holies to us thru HIM not a priest. Try praying directly to HIM and see if you feel an intimacy that you never will with a confessional priest!

8. profile image0
    BIKTMIAposted 13 years ago

Being old is what I look forward too, with this aspect in mind. etc... For today what you reflect will be your tommorrow or tommorrows.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)