jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Something to think about?

1. Jerami profile image77
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

Something that My Grandpa once told me a long, long time ago has come to the forefront of my mind... 

He said  "You're wasting your time argueing with a fool ; ....
    Ya caint win! 
      You only got so much smart stuff ta say before you run out of smart stuff to say; ...
      A fool never runs out.

So maybe it isn't such a bad thing to loose an arguement?

1. pylos26 profile image75
      pylos26posted 6 years ago in reply to this

sounds like a wonderfull copout.

Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It might be ?

Edit ....    You win .

2. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your grandfather sounds pretty smart. I think some most protracted arguments end up with both parties looking foolish.

There is an old saying (Not Grandpas')
        That when a wise man and a fool are standing on the street corner argueing,  it is most often imposible for the
        passers-by to tell who is who.

1. profile image0
          just_curiousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL. that about sums it up. I was arguing with someone on this site a while back and after a bunch of posts back and forth I remember looking through the string at how silly we both sounded  arguing over some point neither would ever give ground on. I was embarrassed I'd stayed there so long.

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This brings to mind the first two lines on  Maori Wisdom I have on my wall.

Youth talks, age teaches

A little dog makes the biggest noise.

I like it    and will use that in my private world, when I get a chance.

But on here it is yours.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
          pennyofheavenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Cool thanks.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Even when I am the one to loose an argument into the group, I still hate to lose that argument. big_smile

Seriously, though, I usually find that it is usually better to just keep my mouth shut; all too often I run out of smart stuff to say (takes about 2 sentences usually), keep talking and look like a fool.

3. Jerami profile image77
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

I've been there and done that too.

Seems like after I've have made a particular declaration of opinion,  The more I keep repeating it the more foolish I feel that I am becoming.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

First of all, what constitutes winning?  Who decides who's won?  Do you need the other person to agree with you?  You have won when you're sure of who you are regardless of your inability to persuade others on a particular issue, when you are flexible in listening, when you do not berate others for their beliefs, and when you keep a sense of humor and perspective in all things.

And Yes I agree with your analogy.

The only reason I see for using the word   Winning, 
        Is because I have read many people calling what they do here in forums as debating.
           And the way in which they choose to "Debate" seems more like a boxing match than a discussion.

An exchange of ideologies between intelligent people is not a contest.
        And never turns into a contest of insults.
        When it does?  I think that grandpas' advice should apply.

4. Jerami profile image77
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

Lately I have wondered what it would sound like to be standing in the corner at an insane assylum, listening to everyone argueing over who is nuts and who aren't.

I can imagine one of them saying, "They are crazy ;  and I'm not like them so I must be OK"

Like an old song went ...
    "And We've All gone crazy;   in our own particular way"

Sometimes I think that is right.

5. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

A friend posted that on Facebook the other day, and I thought it very fitting advice.  Now, I know that an idiot and fool are not quite the same, but arguing rarely gets one anywhere.  It is usually best to show someone something, if it can be proven.

I don't know what the difference between being a fool and an idiot.
          Except that  MAYBE ?  an idiot is willing to learn if
      I have the opportunity..

working