"Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

You apply this concept to sexuality, why is it not applied to religion? If your religion is personal to you, as all belief is, and if we are all equal irrespective of belief, then why do we ask and why do we tell? Why do you need to tell people about your specific belief, and why do you need to ask others about their specific belief? If belief is not a choice, as so many believers and non-believers say, then why do you need to seek validity in your belief? If belief is a natural occurance, it cannot be influenced. Unless it can be influenced, which of course it can; we can be "taught" to believe a certain thing; in other words brainwashed. By the way, I have nothing against homosexuals shouting from the rooftops about their sexual tendancies, just to avoid any doubt.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is the first time I have heard belief is not a choice? Beliefs change. Truth changes. So do we have a choice in this or not? Do we inherit beliefs? Maybe I am not understanding you? Doesn't everything evolve through information?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Several religious and non-religions people on here have specifically stated that they cannot "choose" to believe or not to believe, they just do or don't. I believe that the same applies to sexuality, that it is not a choice but an occurance, I hope that there has been no suggestion that I am homophobic. That's why I drew the comparison.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
          pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh ok. Perhaps it seems like we do not have a choice. I see it differently in that what we choose today affects what we might choose in the future. What we chose in the past affects our present. Sometimes these choices are often forgotten (or made subconsciously) and then are etched deeply in the ravines of the mind but they affect everything we experience or do not experience. They also influence our decisions we make in the present. Gaining or giving new information might help one overpower that influence, or it may not. Depends.

2. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that belief is not a choice. I'd find that hard to follow. It doesn't matter the evidence, everyone chooses. But what's the harm in talking about beliefs? If we started worrying about every delicate sensibility of every person we'd never have the right to say anything.

Your post seemed to be a very odd argument to me.

3. LilVic profile image60
      LilVicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Choice is a major component in Christianity.  God doesn't make you do or think anything...that is up to you, including your beliefs which are ultimately your thoughts, your conclusions based upon your experiences and knowledge.

Your sexuality is physical...derived from your chemical/hormonal make up and influenced by experiences IMHO.  In other words, you can't control what 'turns you on'...but as you develop sexually, you'll be presented with new experiences that will either get your motor going, or not.  But you can't change the way you are made.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Interesting comparison.
    It has long been the practice of Christians to try to convert others to Christianity.
    I cannot speak for the hubbers here who identify themselves as "Christian." Or for those who eschew religion entirely.
    I cannot imagine either "side" expects to convince the other to switch sides.

As for the parallel with gays, despite what some homophobes might believe, gays are not on the prowl for innocent heteros to "convert."

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you MM, you wrote exactly what I would have. Thank you thank you thank you!

3. Mighty Mom profile image78

My opinion is that faith/belief is a choice.
    It requires opening yourself to the possibility of God, which then becomes the certainty of God.
    You can turn your back on religion, faith and God at any time. You can also decide to reengage your faith.

Homosexuality for some is preordained by nature.
    For others it is a decision, but the natural inclination has to be there...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would respectfully disagree, MM.  Can you imagine yourself not believing?  I don't mean "turning your back" or ignoring or disobeying God, but actually not believing in the obvious truth of God's existence?  How would you accomplish that?

You might cause yourself doubt and raise some questions, but to actually change such a deep seated belief is next to impossible for most people.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It may be a choice, but if so, the choice was usually made by the parents and not the individual. Of course, the parents did not choose for themselves, either. smile

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

As much as I love what you are trying to do here, the problem with your argument is that it forgets "divine decree.

Being gay is just how you end up, and, for the sake of this argument, let's pretend it's a choice. So, let's say I "decide" to be gay, and choose to ignore all my natural attraction to boobs and curves etc. I have chosen to be this way.

And let's say you have chosen to accept a particular supernatural belief system, and adopt all the attitudes and acceptance of the magical powers and etc. that the diety of your new religion embodies, which includes a "gays are evil" clause.

So, now you and I come together with our newly adopted belief systems. You say, "Hey, you are a fag and are evil." I say, "No I'm not." You will then say, "Yes you are, the divine creator of the universe has decreed you are evil." Then I will say, "Uh, but I don't believe in that." Then you will say, "That's because you are stupid, which changes nothing. YOu are still evil."

I can go on for a long, long time about freedom, peace, mutual respect, and any number of arguments for why my ability to make decisions in the same manner you have made decisions should be equal, but, since you chose to adopt a mega-awesome magical being of invinciblity and impossible power, while I only chose to adopt a belief in my deserving to live my life the way I want, you and I will never come to an accord.

And that assumes being gay is a choice, which, if you spend two seconds looking into, is clearly not in 99.999999% of cases. Etc.

Just my two cents.

5. Mighty Mom profile image78

I think it's actually quite common that people stop believing in God. Their belief is tenuous to start with, perhaps. But life circumstances can, and do, cause people to give up on God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)