jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

1. Silent Tears profile image59
    Silent Tearsposted 5 years ago

I don't fully understand Atheism...Not saying that I don't understand why people are Atheist, I just don't understand everything about it.  As an Atheist, what exactly do you believe?  Do you believe that there is some higher power or do you believe that there is nothing?  Are we are merely beings randomly existing on this planet or is there a purpose?  I'm simply searching for a better understanding.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Means you're missing something.
      Since this is a public forum and I am not atheist, but of no religious belief, I've taken the opportunity to clear up what you've said, so there cannot be any misunderstanding. I always stretch out my answers to possess small enough common words, so it's easy to understand. What you're willing to accept is completely up to you? By the way, my beliefs are my concern and not yours. I don't live my life based on my beliefs, but rather upon the knowledge and wisdom discerned.
      A higher power? What would be the purpose? Nothing positive that's for sure.
      Randomly existing? We exist, what difference should it make on your individual existence? Is there a purpose? Purpose is not given to you. Purpose is dictated by oneself. The purpose you choose for your life, and the actions behind it, create the meaning of your life, by which other people see you.
      I hope I've have helped. As for the beliefs of an atheist? It appears that they deny a god exists. However, in some countries Atheism is a religion and in some it is just a ideology and/or philosophy about life. Many do not consider "Atheism" a religion.

2. 69
      paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

One does not have to understand Atheism; it is not a fruit of scientific investigation.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

"As an Atheist, what exactly do you believe?"
    I am not an atheist although early in my career I was an agnostic not having the personal evidential experience to be persuaded either
    way. It's a complicated subject, but for simplicity sake religious belief
    is usually based on faith. Atheists don't accept faith as any sort of evidential proof. Where's the beef?

3. 0
    Neville Walkposted 5 years ago

As theism is the belief in the existence of a god or gods, then atheism is the lack of such a belief.  Usually an atheist's view of life is not a matter of belief, but is based on known facts, as discovered by science.  Conversely, the theist bases their view of life on theology and the religious dogma of their particular religion, even though this is rarely based on evidence, but rather on tradition.  Atheists do not believe in a god, because there is no evidence for his/her/its existence.  Religion can only ever be a personal experience, as every believer will have their own idea of what God is.  Science though, demands consistent, repeatable proof before it makes its conclusions.

1. maven101 profile image76
      maven101posted 5 years ago in reply to this

One of the best explanations on atheism I have read...Thank you..

4. knolyourself profile image60

Neville Walk just read your profile. Absolutely hilarious. You should do stand-up. Thanks for the laughs. Not many make me laugh out loud.

1. 0
      Neville Walkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you knolyourself.  Yes, I have been told that I am absolutely hilarious before.  And I know from experience, that I have the ability to make people laugh out loud.  But this usually only happens when I am making love.

5. spookyfox profile image80
    spookyfoxposted 5 years ago

"As an Atheist, what exactly do you believe?"

You don't understand it because you're thinking it the other way around. Theism is not "believeing in something", it's "not believing in something". Just like presumable you don't believe in santa, do you? Is there something in particular you believe simply because you think santa is an illusion?

6. 0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

As an atheist you believe in science and common sense that religion sometimes puts under the table.

7. knolyourself profile image60

Neville Walk saw a Jack Benny retrospective the other night. It is said,
    whether in jest of not, only George Burns could not only make Benny laugh, but literally fall on the floor. Maybe a good thing I don't know you personally.

8. 0
    BunuBobuposted 5 years ago

google "Atheism" or read about it on wikipedia.

9. Paul Wingert profile image78
    Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago

As an athiest I will say that both athiests and agnostics do not believe in a higher power or the need for religion. About 99% of athiests and agnostics were religious at one time but didn't buy into it. People are taught to be religious when growing up. They are taught to believe in something without question. When a person is told a lie over and over again, eventually they will believe it. It's like that if we like liver and onions, that means you must like it to! It's the people who do not like liver and onions and start to question why should I like it, are considered athiests and agnostics.