Question for Christians

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (250 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

What is a Christian?

I have been reading through the religious forum since I joined this site.  Which means; I have been listening to other people's thoughts on the subject more over the last month than I have ever had cause to in my life; since most people don't talk about religion in the circles I move in.

I've read the scriptures, have my own views on what they mean and it appears from reading the posts of other Christians that I am clearly out of sync with what may be mainstream Christianity.

Where is your line in the sand, as to who can claim to be a Christian?  Must they:

a.    Believe only Christians go to heaven
    b.    Believe non believers go to hell
    c.    Believe that prayers are always heard and answered (even if the answer is no)
    d.    Believe every word in the scriptures is inspired by God (even when Paul is talking)
    e.    Believe in a Rapture
    f.    Believe the earth is around 7000 years old
    g.    Believe God created the earth and all that is in it and evolution is not, in any way, involved in the process.

Or do you believe, as I do, that it is not necessary to believe any of this and you are a Christian as long as you trust in God and the truth of the Resurrection; and try to be a better person.

If you chose to answer, please do not quote scripture to justify your stand, except to name the chapter and verse.  I am pretty sure we all have Bibles and anyone reading your response is going to look it up to verify anyway, so there's no reason to waste the energy typing.  Thanks.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess this is met for Christian, honest question like yours dose deserve honest answers. I live with so many contradictions and wrong translation among 2000 disagreeable version of the bible.

Your main answer will end up you got to have faith, which is not good enough for me, but is good enough for my pastor brother.

You’re just too curious and honest for your main stream Christian, just_curious.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've got faith. I've just never paid much attention to main stream Christianity. Most of what I  have read is so far removed from what I believe. Probably why I avoid churches. I'm just curious what main stream Christians think is necessary.

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
          the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im pretty sure your considered a christian if you believe in jesus.  Now, weather or not your percieved as a "good christian" i think is up to the scrutiny of other christians.

1. profile image50
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If he follows Jesus in his footsteps then he should not care much for the scrutiny of other chirstians who mostly follow Paul and the Church and are mislead people. Jesus is the model; not Paul or the Church.

2. profile image0

I think you're right, but I was curious as to where some people draw their line in the sand. So many Christians are so sure other Christians are headed to the dark side in the after life, with all of the rest of the world in their opinion. They make heaven sound like an exclusive country club. But, I didn't see  many posts with too many strings attached, so I guess that's good.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ye must be born again; believe that Christ sacrificed His life so that you have the opportunity to be saved; repent of your sins and accept Him into your heart; confess with your mouth that He is Lord of your life.

I think the basics of continuing that walk with Jesus are, and the fundamentals of what is termed "Christianity" are:

God is one God, the Creator, existing in three inseparable but distinct manifestations--Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

He loved mankind so much that He sent His Son Jesus, the only pure, sinless, acceptable Sacrifice,  to die on the Cross for us.

The Bible is the inspired and Holy word of God, both Old and New Testament.  (Yes, even Paul's writings).

Jesus is the only way to obtain eternal life in heaven with God; He will return again someday to take His children home with Him, and to Judge the rest.

There is a heaven where a place is prepared for those who follow Christ, and there is a hell where all unbelievers will go if they do not repent before they die.

Hope I haven't left out any relevant points...

The answers to your other points are not necesarily irrelevant, but are easy if you actually are a born again Bible-believing Christian.

I will add water baptism following the new birth.  A Christian will be baptized, or at least have the desire to be baptized as Jesus was.

Another commandment, or oracle as it's sometimes called, that's sometimes overlooked is foot-washing, washing the brethren's feet.

1. profile image0

Ok, but out of  curiosity, the other points you call not necessarily irrelevant; what do you think a Bible serving Christian believes in those. I would assume to serve the Bible would be relevant.

1. profile image0

I'm not sure what you mean by "Bible-serving".....
          We serve Christ/God.
          We believe the Bible is His Holy word, indeed.

...If you read the Bible, the other points will be answered.....

There will be a "rapture", yes.  But Christians sometimes disagree as to specifically how and when that will occur.

The young earth....yes, the Bible confirms that belief.  Or at least, a "young civilization".......in other words, we don't believe there were "cavemen, neanderthals who didn't have the ability to speak and think on human terms...

We believe prayers, yes, are always heard;  but not always answered like we wish; the Bible says we often pray "amiss"....

We (mainstream Christians I guess, as you referred to) do not believe in evolution the way it's so famously defined and debated about, no.  We believe God is indeed Creator of heaven and earth.  No, we didn't evolve from apes or other animal forms;  humans are special creatures with the ability to make a connection with God through Jesus Christ;  and God even made the connection with humans before Christ was "born".
          The only "evolution" that's a Christian belief would perhaps be the fact that God set everything in motion.  All things stem from His thoughts and hand and authority.  There was no "big bang" that just happened out of the blue without God ordaining it.

1. profile image0

Ok, I was a little confused for a minute, but to clarify; when you say Christ was born, you are talking the human form  not His eternal existence as the Word of God. Correct?

Oh, sorry about the Bible serving. I thought that is what you said. I see you said believing instead.

1. profile image0

Correct.
              Christ was with the Father in the beginning; Christ is part of the Godhead.  Yes, I was talking about His natural birth from Mary's womb...

Which reminds me, that's another basic belief of Christianity, the virgin birth of course.  I dunno why I didn't put that in there in the first place....I guess I'm getting tired; been a long day.

1. profile image0

No worries. The virgin birth I assumed to be a given.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image73
        Twilight Lawnsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paul was the propagandist for the Romans who wanted to have a nice little theory of the trinity.  Show me any place in the bible which mentions this or even alludes to anything similar.
        If God is one, then he is one... not three.

1. profile image0

I've never said He is three.  He is One.  One, but able to manifest in whatever form He wants to!   And He has manifested in the forms of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  I know this is a hard concept for many to understand.  I just don't understand WHY it's so hard for them!

Anyhow, there are Scriptures that show this.  Matter of fact, the whole jist of the Bible proves that very concept.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image73

I would like to see those scriptures.  i have never seen anything that mentions the trinity in the bible.  I honestly don't think they exist.
            I think that if Jesus Christ knew about the lies Paul came out with he would weep.
            So, following your  logic, if God is capable to manifest Himself in any form, it is conceivable to believe that the Hindu manifestations of Him are all right, yes?
            Talk to any sensible Hindu and he doesn't refer to the  plethora of blue faced deities, he refers to God

3. profile image53
        salmani82posted 13 years agoin reply to this

who wrote the bible you say they were inspired by holy spirit o.k then how inspired the those  mens who compiled the new and old testament to be a chrishtian you must be a blind beliver other it will be very much difficult you if you scratch under the hood lets have fun this is my site http://www.blockstatus.com/funny-pictures forget your salvation. see you in hell

1. profile image0

No thanks.
          I'm trying to develop a habit of just sayin' NO to hogwash and malarkey, and especially to the Devil.
          So...NO. (Skip the thanks, even).   Go play by yourself.

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm no longer a christian, but will try to answer a few points:

hell - some christians don't believe in hell (more recently); most do & use it as a point for recruitment out of fear

young earth - many christians now accept an ancient earth and many also accept evolution (but say God did it)

literal interpretation of bible - the fundies do this (and also apply verses to themselves).  Many other christians don't take the bible literally, and can appreciate that it is written by men in a different time & different culture/time

Christians disagree about many more points other than these, hence the numerous denominations

1. profile image0

Well, I suppose that's good to know. I was beginning to think maybe I was expected to believe all that. I'm just curious what the main stream belief is. I can't seem to get a handle on who's in the main stream. I'd hate to have to start visiting churches for a head count with a checklist for their pastor to fill out.

1. profile image0

don't have to follow the crowd. You have to figure out for yourself what makes sense to you

1. profile image0

I do go my own way. But I just hate some of the conversations here. I don't believe in hell and I think some beliefs would be impossible to have. I only wonder how firm people think they have to be on them, to call themselves Christian.

Curiosity is going to kill me one day.

1. profile image0

I do find many of the christians on Hub Pages to be more aggressive & intolerant than most christians I know. 

But maybe they're just vocalising what the others believe?

1. profile image0

I hope you're as wrong about them as I hope I am about the two or three aggressive atheists. They confuse me as much as this does.

1. profile image0

yep, there are a few aggressive, intolerant atheists.  There are also some that are just straight-up and get accused of being hateful, when they're not.

I've been called names like Satan by some of the more aggressive 'christians', because they don't like hearing truth.  They also say I could never have been a 'true' christian, because if I had been I would never have given it away

1. profile image0

I'm very sorry. I don't understand how anyone could consider such behavior a good reflection on their faith. I've come to my beliefs simply through trying to understand the meaning behind the text. If it doesn't make you more peaceful and happy, I wouldn't think it would be a good basis for a way of life.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Baileybear

Actually I find these hub page better than most Christian websites, where they can ignore you altogether. It could be, I'm a stinker for over bearing and over challenging Christian questions, in which I know I will never get an honest informed answer to anyways.

2. Liam Hannan profile image61
              Liam Hannanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best way I've heard to describe "Hell" is not as the fire and brimstone stuff (thank you very much Dante!) but as willful removal from "God". When your choices lead you away from communion with "God" that is what "Hell" is (in this life or an afterlife)

1. lddant profile image60
                lddantposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. For me, Hell is not a place, but a state mind and existence without God.  Many of the Bible's lessons were taught in parables, not in literal terms.  Consequently, I don't believe that Heaven is a place either.  It, too, is a state of mind and existence where God dominates and occupies every corner.  For me, Heaven is the opposite of Hell.

4. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As I've written before, the bottom line for me is the Nicene Creed...

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of
      heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of
      God, begotten of the Father before all ages;

Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten,
      not created, of one essence with the Father
      through Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation
      came down from heaven and was incarnate
      of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.

He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate,
      and suffered and was buried;

And He rose on the third day,
      according to the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven
      and is seated at the right hand of the Father;

And He will come again with glory to judge the living
      and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life,
      Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the
      Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, Who
      spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead,
      and the life of the age to come.

Amen.

1. profile image0

Amazing that a document written in the fourth century makes more sense than some of the things it sounds like you're supposed to take on faith today. It's been a while since I read that. Thanks for sharing.

Oh great.  And everybody else who believes in one god is doomed to eternal fire and brimstone etc..  What about the Jews and the Muslims?  Don;t they also believe in one god... God?
        Have they buggered around with scripture and allowed people like Paul/Saul to make up little tales of the trinity and all those other Roman concepts? Constantine and his chums at the Council of Nicea would have loved to hear all that.

5. profile image0
      bolt1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just_curious

There is no such thing as being reborn, that goes also for the so called speaking in tongues, you have to ask yourself who are these people and why would they be so special that God would allow this or give them this so called gift. And what would be the perpous? no one seems to have a direct answer. Why? well let's just say that perhaps this spiritual battle has absolutely noyhing to do with us and we should stop attempting to mingle within things that as humans can't and will never understand as long as we are alive and on this planet. Most People go there to attempt to fill the void which can only be filled after we all pass on. And for those who know a few things pertaining to this should realize that the so called Satan is pretty clever and no human being can ever see through all the deception, so there you have it like it or not.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Bolt:
        I hope you are well and healthy!
        Yes I remember ya but thought ya had "given-up-the-ghost!" smile:
        WB and thanks for becoming a follower (friend.)
        Qwark

1. profile image0

Wel of couse it is a pleasure and an honor to following you sir.
          as far as my health I had a taste of Hep-C and the treatment was brutal I lost so much weight I went from a size 45 pants to 38 treatment was finished just last month, and feel like a 20 yr old again. hopeyour doing fine yourself. take good care my friend.

1. qwark profile image61
            qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you and ditto!  smile:
            Qwark

6. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To be a Christian, you must be baptized, that's all.
      This is what I learned when I was a kid. I confess I never looked upon that question untill you asked.
      Baptism is the sacrament that no only redeems you of the original sin, but signifies your entrance to the "mystic corpus of christ"
      I'm selling this at the same price I bought it.

1. profile image0

Thanks zampano. Your answer suits me pretty well. Leaves you to do your own thing within certain easy bounds to stay in.

1. profile image0

The most important thing is how you act in life.
          Towards your family, friends, fellow humans, non human fellows, etc.
          Beliefs are really secondary. They're useful to discuss about, and empty some bottles of good wine. That's what "beliefs" are good for.

In other words, make it up as you go along and talk about the Mystical Body of Christ (whether you know what  it means or not) and have a bit of water splashed around and then go to church when you are a bit older and believe that you are drinking blood instead of a really cheap wine and eating that same self body of Christ again (although it tastes like a wafer or a bit of stale bread) and go home and say you are a Christian and spit at the next person who looks a bit foreign... you know, a Middle Eastern bloke, like that Jesus bloke.

1. profile image0

Wow. That was a very unpleasant post. I'd sure hate to meet the person you patterned that off of.

It is the posting of someone who has seen Christians on their knees, praying, when going to take the Eucharist and celebrating the "body of Christ", but sneering at the person who has attended Midnight Mass because he has wanted to understand and share the communion of believers in One God.  Then he has been sneered at and spoken about (behind raised hands) by sanctimonious Christians who have refused to shake his hand during the Peace, although everybody in the Church was doing it to everybody else.
              And his crime?  To have a brown face and look like some Arab or Hazara.
              Don't these cruel Christians know that Jesus was a Middle Eastern man with a brown face and dark hair and probably a big nose.
              Or did I get it wrong, and was he Anglo Saxon and was he born near Guildford, in Surrey, UK?

1. profile image0

I am so sorry. They are not true to the message of any God. I hope some of them are part of these forums, or others like this, so they can see the damage of their actions and, hopefully, understand the tragedy of their beliefs; and actively work to change this horrible mindset.

So, do you still think I'm a very unpleasant person, and that you'd sure hate to meet me?
                  Try my hubs to see what a miserable bugger I am.
                  I took my friend to church on Christmas Eve hoping he would get to like the culture and realise that Christians and Muslims have much in common... I was the one ending up angry and bitter... he is still the same forgiving loving guy he has always been.
                  You're right! Let's hope these people read these exchanges and look into their souls.
                  Thanks for your kind reply.

1. profile image0

I didn't mean that you were unfairly bitter. I just said I'd hate to meet the person who made you that way. After you explained, I thought maybe I would like to meet them, to tell them what I think of that type of behavior.

7. profile image50

The true Christian is who does not believe in Paul and believes in the truthful teachings of Jesus Christ. A true Christian must believe in the advent of Muhammad after Jesus. A true Christian also does not believe that Jesus was a god or son of god. A true Christian also believes that Second Coming of Jesus has already taken place in the shape of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908.

1. profile image0

Ok, I'm not sure you qualify as main stream Christian, but thanks for sharing your interesting take on the question.

1. profile image50

A truthful Christian need not be what people think to be mainstream Chirstians; the mainstream Christians are cut off from the stream that flowed from Jesus Christ; in fact their stream has since dried up; they don't get any water from it.

1. profile image0

Ok, but you do realize that the chance of convincing anyone in a free society that anything to do with Islam would be of interest, on a spiritual level, is next to zero? Especially a woman.

1. profile image50

My first concern is myself; and if others also do, it could be a bonus; man or woman does not matter; they are the same human beings.

Dose that mean a true Christian is a Muslim.

1. profile image50

The origin of Moses , Jesus and Muhammad is the same Creator-God; so naturally there should be no difference between a truthful Jew, a truthful Christian and a truthful Muslim.

Too many one and only ultimate truths to follow at once.

I'll lead myself first and encourage everyone else to be god to the highest degree of truth too.

1. profile image0

Good. Just get stuck in stupid formal questions and debates.
              In the meanwhile you don't act. Just spend saliva and fingertips...

Imagine if everyone were claim gods, no stupid question and debates of higher ground would be needed. Then we can each act toward personal growth and growth for all.

1. profile image0

The part that confuses me is, why can't we do that now? I don't see why belief has to stand in the way of any of that.

There are many relationships broken up or separated over different religious beliefs. If everyone were god then over righteous religious people would have no reason to separate their love from each other and the world could be one family.

Of course a true christian isn't a Muslim in your concept of being a Muslim, but a Muslim is he who willingly is the servant of God, and so Jesus Christ believed that  the One God was his master, then he also was a Muslim... lovingly obedient to God (or if you want it in Arabic: Allah) but God does not need a name.  God is God.
          Forget all that Saint Paul hocus pocus of the Trinity and what Constantine and the Council of Nicea put forward.
          Jews, Christians and Muslims are people of the Book... The Torah, the Injeel, the Qu'ran... (basically the Old testament, the New Testament and the Qu'ran)

8. graceomalley profile image85
      graceomalleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you put it well just curious. trust in God & the resurrection. Try to do the right thing.

Jesus came to save the world, not that the world through him might be condemned. I don't think he makes us jump through a bunch of hoops. I think He saves all that He possibly can. In the end maybe he will save the whole world.

1. profile image0

See, I think you're right. This idea that so many would be lost seems silly to me. If most people don't get to be part of the afterlife, then the great experiment of Man would be a failure. In my opinion.

1. graceomalley profile image85

I'm with you there. Somehow I think He's got more going on than that.

9. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Laying aside denominations and extremists, and for pity's sake, the simple arguments over the very existence of God - to be a Christian means to believe simply that God exists, that He came to earth in human form in the person of Jesus Christ, whom He called His Son (and who called Him Father), and to believe that when Jesus was crucified, He was raised to life again, before He ascended back to the Heaven from where He came.  To be a Christian means to believe that His crucifixion offered the final and perfect atonement for our sins to a God who demands justice, and His resurrection assured us that His atonement was sufficient to satisfy God's justice, and that we were once again welcomed into Heaven, despite our original transgressions.  This satisfaction of God's justice opens the door through which His mercy pours.  Response to that love and mercy - which is to love Him back with the same sense of devotion and sacrifice is what is required.  That's the first half of being a Christian.

The second half is to attempt to relate to others the way God has related to us - by exhibiting forgiveness, love, and mercy to those we encounter.  To love your neighbor as you desire to be loved, and HAVE BEEN LOVED BY GOD.

That's it.  That's all.

The rest is like adding dressing to a salad that's really quite tasty on its own.  It just adds calories and doesn't really improve the nutritional value of the meal itself.  But in the hope of clarification:

A)Not all Christians believe that only Christians go to Heaven.
      B)Only God can decide who's going to Hell.  What I think is that no Christian has the answer to this question and, frankly, should remain mum on the subject.
      C)Yes, we do believe all prayers are heard and answered, in ways we may not see or understand.  Sometimes the answer is yes.  Sometimes no.  Sometimes wait. 
      D)Yes, every word of Scripture is inspired by God, no matter who wrote them.
      E)Not all Christians believe in a Rapture as it has been depicted by some over the years.
      F)Being a Christian does not mean you believe the earth is only 7000 years old.
      G)Many Christians believe that God created everything, and that He has allowed his creation (on purpose, and by design) to evolve over time.

So sorry for the long winded reply.  Should have made it a hub I guess, but that's my halfpence, for whatever it may be worth.  :-)

1. profile image0

I appreciate you taking the time to post that. I like your thoughts on this.

10. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does anybody realy KNOW ?

Does anyone really want to know?

1. profile image0

I think that question is the crux of my problem. Since none could, why not take the default position. No absolutes but the basic belief. There is a God. As Christians, we recognize the Son as our savior.

Sure, I'd like everyone to recognize the message as I see it; but that's my ego talking. I would never feel confident in my knowledge of the truth to attempt and preach this, as if to somehow not agree with me put your soul in danger.

I guess I posted the question to read the responses and maybe get a handle on why some might feel otherwise.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No absolutes.

*takes absolute position*

lol

1. profile image0

I know, I know. I'm not surprised you upbraided me for that statement. But, just between you and me, (do not share this with anyone) I've read a post on another thread that makes so much sense, I might be singing a slightly different tune someday. It runs along the lines of something that's been knocking around in my head quite loudly for sometime now.

11. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is a falacy to think that only the right kind of Christian will end up in heaven and the rest of the world gets tossed into the furnace. This would not be the actions of a truly just God. The Earth being only 7000 years old is probably inaccurate. It's probably more like six thousand years since Adam and Eve left the garden. Who knows how long they were in there. They were imortal at that time after all.

1. profile image0

Yes. The whole heaven and hell thing is definitely out of sync with fairness, in my opinion too. I find it difficult to fathom any sins, committed during a mortal lifetime, making one worthy of eternal damnation. No matter how heinous. We're only human.

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well there's always the Hitler factor. He killed millions of people and he only gets to die once. That's definately not fair.

1. profile image0

When I was in prep school we were required to go to church once a month. The church affiliated with the school was Episcopalian, if I remember. I also had to participate in a six week study of religious doctrine. The priest believed that all people go to heaven and sinners probably got in first. He said they needed the love of God the most. I thought the guy was an idiot, at the time. Now, I'm not so sure it doesn't make perfect sense. Hitler's crimes were heinous. But I guess whatever God decides is best is right. I can see Hitler both ways.

12. HOOWANTSTONO profile image59
      HOOWANTSTONOposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All people are equal, concerning Gods view. Yet only "Born Again" can see the Kingdom and enter in.
      Its strange how many "Christians" reject this yet claim to believe.
      Ask for verses here they are

Jhn 3:3     Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:5    Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jhn 3:7  Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Jhn 3:8  The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

1. profile image0

Sorry, those verses do not support a belief that only Christians have the keys to heaven. I'm not saying they don't exist. I am saying that born again means waking up to the fact that there is a God above us, waking up to understand the message God sent us through Christ. Simply because some can't put two and two together doesn't make them less valuable in God's eyes, in my opinion.

No - it does not. Applying this outside of yourself is the problem. I find it shocking how many of you are completely incapable of understanding the Christ myth.

http://hubpages.com/hub/New-Born-Babies … -Jerusalem

1. profile image0

I don't consider a Hub Page author as an authority on that question. You cannot disprove the resurrrection. As long as you attack Christianity from that angle your game is lost. Was there another point to your post? If so, I'm afraid I missed it.

What angle is that? That you are too lazy to do any personal development work? No - I already know that. This is why I am so anti religion.

Curious? Not really. Did not even read it huh? Got your majik bullet and are good to go. And there you were asking me about how we could change. I offer up some information and you go back to defending the majik bullet. lol

Little wonder your religion causes so many wars.

1. profile image0

Ok. I'll go back and read it. I just found the first few paragraphs horribly offensive; but, I'll make this concession for you. It had better have a point though.

It does. It is exactly what I understood when I read the bible with "open eyes" instead of blind faith.

Food for thought - you said you liked that. big_smile

1. profile image0

Hey. I have a question. How did you move from blind faith, to reading the Bible with open eyes, to atheism? It seems like a pretty wide gap from start to finish.

2. profile image0

I know you guys are mad at me and I get it. I'm as obnoxious as you all are. But, I'm trying to understand your arguments. I need input. It's a valid question. How did you move from one extreme to another?

2. profile image0

Ok. Wow. Good article. It's basic concept isn't far off from what I believe. Why they had to use such an offensive title and start, I can't imagine. Thanks for being so obnoxious about the whole thing. I'll be honest, I find it hard to believe that Christ didn't exist, but  if that message was the one of Christianity it would be one more people could follow.

2. HOOWANTSTONO profile image59
          HOOWANTSTONOposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but then its true, there are not any other verses that say contrary, I could line up a list that harmonize with these scriptures. Consider that it was an Atheist (tic) that came to ask Jesus how to get to heaven (eternal life), Thats why Jesus laid it straight before him, and the Atheist not being able to perceive that this was God he was speaking to, and for anyone else that's confused.

1. profile image0

Yes confused, but if they understand the message, they understand Christ. They just don't know it.

13. DoubleScorpion profile image76
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A person, who once "saved" no longer purposely sins. Errors happen...But If you are truly attempting to live as Christ....then you will not knowingly commit a sin.

14. jessejvickers profile image59
      jessejvickersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi just_curious....I think my religion can answer your questions. Whenever you have a chance, Iglesia NI Cristo(Church of Christ) can enlighten you. Try to visit their worship services and feel free to ask questions to answer your curiousity. I hope it can help you.

1. profile image0

I appreciate the offer, but at this juncture I'm basically following the words of Christ only. Christianity, as it is practiced, is way off base from the message I'm getting. Wish you luck in your journey though.

2. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

What is a christian ?

Maybe (?) a title that people apply to themselves.
    And that person that applied it to themselves all have their own definition.   Maybe ?

Certainly todays definitionsssss  are different than they were in the first century.
       I'm looking forward to reading some good answers.   

If we could ask a beagle for the definition of a dog, it would be different than if we ask a German shephard or any other breed, none of the answers would be absolutely correct.

1. profile image0

Hey Jerami! Where have you been? I've missed your posts.

So, you agree with me, its whatever you feel the truth to be for you?

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where I have been ?????   Short question  But like the OP,  there are many answers.  Long story. 

That depends ?   I agree that "definitions" depend upon whatever that person thinks that it is to be Christian.

Are definitions necessarily true?   NO
            Which definition would God offer?

1. profile image0

What definition would God offer? Is that possible to answer?

I thought the Pope (German shephard)  has all the anwers.

1. profile image0

Castle. Now I'm really confused. Are you saying I should believe in talking dogs? I don't believe that's a Christian concept. I could be wrong. I am apparently clueless on a lot of things.

3. Jerami profile image58

Phone rang ....   gotta go do something ...   
    Back in a little bit.

1. Midnight Oil profile image81
      Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a long call - perhaps it's God calling with his answers... ! wink

1. profile image0

lol

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

just curious, you have been quite an interesting voice in these forum halls.
    i do not by any means title myself as this or that, as BOTH theists and a`theists are dead wrong -quite literally in most cases and figuratively in others regarding the theism in question --that both argue abou. so when one is incorrect from the start, then leaves that incorrectness, only to argue over that incorrectness from an anti perspective is kind of reminds me a one of those gerbils in a wheel....

This is the answer. See, once you really trust in Creator -by Creators perspective of trust and that perspective becoming yours, the second part automatically happens, meaning accepting the purpose of the resurrection and becoming who you were created to be.

It is really that simple.
    Humanism and all its parts will place hundreds and in some cases 613 weights on your shoulders to hinder you, because "God forbid" you should trust 100% or worse just accept the 100% measure of a reality you were created to live in that far exceeds this one --and not get caught up in the riptide, tossed back and forth between the illusion of this world (money, politics, religion, science, yada yada yada).

If the term of a Christ-ian applies, than the term is specific and emphatic -Anointed.
    So, the quest is:
    What is that Anointing (Christ/Christos) ?
    How does one get Anointed?
    By Whom?
    What happens after?

Anointed means to be covered from head to toe in Grace or better said the full expression of Creators vision of who you are --not a drop less. Total Free Will.
    If you were the designer of a painting, how would you see that image. Would you want the image to change from what you made it to be or have it change itself? If it was scarred or damaged, would you want it to fix itself or be the one to fix it?

...sorry for the short post...

James.

1. profile image0

I'm so glad you posted. I don't know how you know the things you know, but you're words are always very insightful.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank You.
        The entire summary of the works of Y`shua were and still are the same:
        he said...
        "i am showing you 'how-to" and the evidence of that how-to are these works of what people call miracles, multi-languages, raising the death and exceeding dead itself.
        But in order to do so, I am going to be the one to become the seed of all future seeds.
        So, I am taking your place in the ground. If you understand and act on that understanding --even to the measure or size of a mustard seed -- what I did, you are going to do and then some. Plus, after me is the One who sent me, the Spirit, who is going to really show you how-to, will restore you, remove all scars and flaws from that painting and transform you into what Creator designed you to be. In short, I am your example and someone to reflect on when it seems impossible to achieve. This is what I mean by through me.
        (disclaimer: i was paraphrasing)

Faith not in your head, because that isn't faith, that is a thought.
        Faith is not just in words -as you know from the many words in books and spoken by humans. Faith is not in feelings, because those are just emotions...

James.

1. profile image0

I don't know that, through faith, I would believe we could perform the miracles you were talking about anymore, maybe if the faith was strong enough; but I do think through faith we could emulate Y'shua (I do like it when people use that name, thanks for doing it)  and make a massive difference in the world if we simply followed His basic teachings. These extra beliefs that have been added seem to overshadow what I believe His message was when people try to follow what the church says.

1. profile image0

I do not believe the miracles, et al are necessary really, but they are --in essence-- a part of the package. The ability to simply heal one body or another is a given.

I recently had a conversation with a twenty-something quantum physics enthusiast.
            She was in agreement that humans have designed this world of religion/science -- especially technology because they know --in part-- who they are and what they are capable of. But because they cannot seem to escape this "thing", to really be who they are, they have compensated by creating things --like wireless communication, medicine, ships, cars and more. It was a very liberating conversation for us both and reaffirmed my core belief --faith is simply the action of uniting with Creator and being who we truly are. It bypasses the minds need and allows the intangible energy ( spirit ) to communicate with the tangible energy ( the body ) freely and perfectly. It puts the mind at ease, back to it original state --as the processor not the provider.

James.

1. profile image0

So how do you go about it? Trying to reach the state where you feel united with the Creator? Meditation?

1. profile image0

Not meditation as most presume.
                But mediation is a type of prayer, so in essence yes.
                It is more of a process of communication.
                You have to allow Creator to speak to you --which is the toughest challenge of all because the mind will convince you either not to or convince you by you repeating words or chants over and over that you are in fact communing.

The best approach is to simply begin small --an hour a day-- just listening.
                Don't focus on you the person or the world you want or don't. Just allow yourself to be, quietly and without reserve.

As you progress from an hour to hours and eventually days, your mind goes "wiki" but eventually yields. it just becomes what it is supposed to be --natural. All of a sudden things become very clear and you start dismissing the illusion more and more.

James.

1. profile image0

Ok. I've tried that. The voices in my head had a hard time shutting up. I gave up because I thought I might be on the wrong track. You've given me some hope here. Thanks. I'll work on it.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                    Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried to seek professional therapy for that problem?

5. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

A Christian is actually a person who has a personal relationship with God.  This does not mean just talking at God or talking to Him.  It must be a two way conversation. 

God made it plain what it takes to be a Christian.  We must follow after His Son Jesus who came from God and is the Word of God.  There is no other way that anyone can come to God. 

Any other way is false.

1. profile image0

"Any other way is false"
      I like it. lol

2. Beelzedad profile image59

So, no matter how hard a person wants to be a Christian, they will never be one unless they hear voices talking back to them? smile

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only one voice.  No man can go to God unless God draws him.

6. graceomalley profile image85
    graceomalleyposted 13 years ago

I am thinking justcurious that you might do better trying a housechurch or an emergent church than the mainlines. I think these might be more up your alley.

1. profile image0

Nah. Trust me. I'm much better off on my own. Not a people person. I really like this forum though. So many voices, so many opinions. It's very interesting, and everyone is definitely more than four feet away. Suits me well.

1. profile image50

Difference of opinion is interesting and adds to human knowledge if done with sincerety.

1. profile image0

My belief too.

2. profile image0

Funny That Mr. Paarsurrey  would make some of these comments, You are obviously a Muslimand perhaps a ritious one, however I know for a fact that that following the Koran teachings and praying 3 or 5 times a day does not necessary make make Muslims riteous. I am at this moment dealing with taking a so called Muslim to court, why? because I was buying a used car for my wife $2300.00 and on my way home this car started fuming and he yold me to bring it back so that he can replace it.  This took last may not only did I not get a car but they kept the money and to my disbelief this idiot tells me he had personal problems and now he has no money to give to me and you don't want to know about how he writes it's as if though this grown man is still in third grade....I took it to the attorney generals office. and nothing happened. So I had to hired an attorney and I'm taking it to arbitration courrt  so now instead of having to pay me the $2300.00 he will be forced to pay that plus 3 times more. which will total almost $10,000.00. This happened because I believed that everything that the Muslims say about the teacchings of the muslim religion was true that perhaps we were just misunderstanding them. It turns out that human beings are all alike no matter what religion it is. And let's not talk about the 75 virgins that truly putsthe icing on the cake. Grown Men who aren't virgins themselves want virgins, not one but 75....where the hell did that come from? I wouldn't want one virgin let alone 75. and I guess they must feel so man like that they believe they can handle all those women. tallking about being mislead. Wake the hell up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I also fing it suspicious that it so happens that this relion comes right after Christ, And am not a practicing christian or for that matter any religion that has a human running any show. I also wonder about these retuals and the costumes and the timing of all this crap. And all the lives lost in the name of any religion. I consider this to be the worst in all human behavior and believe it puts us all to shame that animals are more civilized than we so called intelligent beings.

1. profile image0

Sorry for your troubles. I agree with your thoughts on the insanity of organized religions.

1. profile image0
              brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dont. In any group of people, whether at the office or at the spa or in the park or wherever and in whatever group, there will always be dissidents and there will always be those looking out for themselves etc.. If a person is running from the law a convent is a good place to hide out. Going to church is a good way to make people think you are not a mass murder, etc. Because of its good reputation of hostessing god like people many a corrupt person has used this as a cover. In the movie snatch, there are jewish people, dressed like jews, talking like jews and they hold up this bank, afterward they remove their disguises and beards and dress in jeans and shirt. We cannot think that all jews are like this, robbers waiting to plunder behind the mask of god fearing jewishness.
              Somewhere along the line of observance we have to realise that in our school there were good kids and bad kids, bullies and graduates. The same in the church. The church is a tool of God. A place where His called out ones can gather and fellowship, but of course with each person being at a different level than the christian next to him there will always be abrasion. Now there are true churches with accurate beliefs in God and bad churches which are based on untruths. Some blatantly more so than others.  It is the people in the church that God is dealing with. People grow old and die and newer ones replace them and so the cycle continues. As in every group discernment is needed to not join the nazi hitler movement as discernment is needed to join the kiwanas, for example. This is why i say that God will always plant his called out ones in a church body to function and be tested and fellowship with other christians and also to learn. Church is important as was school. It is the same institution with just a different name.
              This is enough for now.

1. profile image0

Hate to disagree, and I know this will sound crazy.  But, the only time in my life I swear I felt an evil presence was in a church.  It wasn't a church that believed in this type of thing.  It wasn't a church where people spoke in tongues, or believed in anything mystical.  The fact that a foul wind blew through that congregation and I was the only one aware of its presence will never leave my mind.  I don't go to church because I no longer believe God is with organized religion.  Sure, there are good people that go, but there are good people everywhere.  The Bible was given to us so that we can find the answers, without getting wrapped up in a whitewashed version of the truth.

1. profile image0

What kind of church was it, if you're willing to share?

1. profile image0

Southern Baptist.  No holy roller stuff. We were the prominent church in town.  All the business and community leaders went there.  Very sedate.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Again, it appears that you only choose that which YOU want to believe. It makes no sense that there are "bad churches" as they all have the same bible, preach the same gospel and believe in the same god. Why would your god care which church you frequented? Sorry, but that story doesn't fly at all. smile

1. aguasilver profile image70
                  aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who said God cared about which church we belonged to, I get the distinct impression He is more concerned about how we live His word than where we hear it.

Of course there are 'bad' churches, just like there are bad restaurants and good ones, they all have access to the same ingredients, but some folk use them well and others do not.

Try to think before you write an attack.

I suspect your argument is with brotheryochanan, not me. He went to many churches before finding the one that suited his beliefs and made the claim it was his god that found it for him. I quoted him on it, did you not read that?

And, who decides what is a good or bad church? You? lol

Sure, while I turn the other cheek. smile

2. profile image50

You are entitled for any compensation from the Muslim who did a wrong to you.
            He should have not done so.

2. profile image0

smile)

7. beetalker profile image61
    beetalkerposted 13 years ago

Just Curious, I read the entire hub and like the other here found it interesting. Brenda Durham has represented a part of the mainline that represents most folks called "Fundamental Christians". They believe in the fundamental tenets of the Christian faith. They would agree with Greek One would be most factual if we look at your one premise of what is a "mainline Christian". That is, what is the basic doctrine of Christian belief. Granted, beyond the basics it is left up to personal belief. BTW the term Christian means "little Christs" and was first used of followers of Jesus in a derogatory way.

1. profile image0

Thanks. I gues my next search will be what percentage of the faith falls into the fundamental category. I'd hate to see the religion overtaken.

Interesting comment about the name Christian. Good for the early Christians for taking something meant to be derogatory and not get mad about it, but use it cheerfully.

I'm reading a book right now you may find interesting. "Crazy for God: How I Grew Up As One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or almost All) of It Back"

Title kind of says it all. Author is Frank Schaeffer. I'm only 1/3 into the book, but i'm finding it intriquing.

Mine own opinion is that the tide is turning against fundamentalism. Post modern thinking becomes more prevalent all the time, and this does not marry well with fundamentalism. I think the days of the funs are numbered. I imagine there will always be some, but I don't see this way of thinking dominating Christianity in the future.

Just to expand on this - fundamentalists are "modern" thinkers. The baby boomer generation & before were modern. I don't know if i am doing this justice, but it would go something like a modern thinker will appeal to a stated universal truth - a modern doesn't doubt there are things that are obviously true. (This is why moderns quote the Bible, even to those who are not Christian, and think this proves their point)

A post modern is experiential. For them reality is what they have experienced. They generally get it that others have very different experiences, they tend to be quite accepting of others. They don't, in the end, fit very comfortably into fundamentalism. It's that pesky tendency of seeing things from many different angles.

I don't think there is a right and a wrong about this - they are two different ways of seeing the world. I'm a postmodern, not b/c i planned to be, but just b/c that's how I'm wired I guess. I think some of it is also when you are born.

1. profile image0

Very interesting post. The book sounds like an interesting read. I guess I was born a post modern too.

2. profile image0

tide turning against fundamentalism - well, if they don't adjust, they will just be seen as looneys and clinging to outdated superstitions

1. profile image0

God said a great turning away will occur in the end times and also that God never changes.
            These are why the religion of tolerance  and the spiritual path of christ will never cohabit. The religion of tolerance is just that tolerant of many things but there are many examples of Christ saying this tolerance will be mans way and not Gods.
            Since God never changes i don't see how God will become tolerant since tolerance is a human thing. Man has been trying to run his society and sin is messing it up terribly. Gods ways are perfect and his society runs well. Tolerance will only bring us back to where we are now  and that is not Gods desire for us.

1. profile image0

god never changes - still a murderer

1. profile image0

such limited thinking.
                you refuse to grow after all you've been told.
                good management roll

8. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

a.    Believe only Christians go to heaven
    No one goes to heaven.

b.    Believe non believers go to hell
    There is no hell. That is a catholic invention and misinterpretation of scripture.

c.    Believe that prayers are always heard and answered (even if the answer is no)
    Of course

d.    Believe every word in the scriptures is inspired by God (even when Paul is talking)
    absolutely.
    e.    Believe in a Rapture
    Christiandoms most irrelevant doctrine. Those walking in christ will not miss it when/if it happens.

f.    Believe the earth is around 7000 years old
    Either way this is not overly important.

g.    Believe God created the earth and all that is in it and evolution is not, in any way, involved in the process.
    This is not overly important either

Or do you believe, as I do, that it is not necessary to believe any of this and you are a Christian as long as you trust in God and the truth of the Resurrection; and try to be a better person.
    Not necessarily. This almost sounds like salvation by works. Or trust without humility, of course i cannot comprehend what "trusting in God" amounts to in terms of daily activity or in the quality of relationship with God. For instance many say they love God yet do not keep his commandments. The resurrection is tantamount. trying to be a better person by way of the cross or by self denial and prayer. We all have works that we want to do but do we allow God to interrupt our plans and inject his?
    Its how much we lean on God to do the work of change through us and to strengthen us to overcome temptations. Or do we try to fight sin in our own strength? The pattern is in times of temptation we turn to God and invite his power to assist us we do not try to do this on our own. Prayer is tantamount.

1. profile image0

Thanks for posting. I'm interested in what others think on this. I find your statements on heaven and hell interesting. What is, in your opinion, going to happen when you step over to the other side. Assuming, you've led a worthy life; and then assuming the opposite.

1. profile image0

Stepping over to the other side.. hehe.. Scripture says we are appointed once to die and then the judgment. God at the time of judgment will be making decisions based on forever and eternity. There will be no call backs or undoing, the decision is forever and unending, therefore did he say, wide is the path to destruction. Forever and eternity, indeed immortal life is serious stuff and God does not take this lightly. Since God cannot be separated from his holiness neither can he accept anything less to live forever and eternally. God in revelations says he makes a new heaven and a new earth. I believe our home for eternity will be the new earth. Perhaps the garden of eden is the coming full circle of Gods intentions toward humans. "I will live with them and dwell with them". Spiritual bodies are a fact as we know from the example of angels and God, who is spirit and jesus who ascended in a spiritual body. "a spiritual body has not flesh and bones" jesus said.
        Will there be duties to perform in the afterlife; probably. As earth is a tangible entity and the garden was meant to be "kept and tended" i assume we will live peaceful lives in nature and with God. God enjoys a well functioning and working society, which sin does not allow to happen. This is as far as i have researched the afterlife concept but i am sure there is more, much more.
        You want to discuss hell (sheol - the grave) It is not an area, someplace designated for the souls of evil men. Much less than evil will keep people out of eternal life. There will be a number of people who will not be with God forever and not have eternal life. I have said before, atheists will get what they want, nothing; which is the same end of the non qualifiers for eternal life. God does not leave loose ends lying about and truly there is no where anyone can go that God is not present in, therefore how will God even stop hearing the cries of the 'damned'.. sorry for the term i know it conjures up images of hell tormented people but God does not want to torment people forever and ever (only God knows how long forever and ever is and its a very very long long time) God will put an end to their suffering which will mostly be comprised of realizing that God does exist and that they have been rejected of Him. When will God end their suffering? Time is much different to God than to us, there may be a lengthy period of suffering even mournful repentance, but it will be too late. The seriousness of eternal life and immortality is too important to make flighty or chancy decisions. Personally i cant imagine an afterlife without God. The early jews thought it to be a dark place, since God is light; and i think that they have a finger on it. It would be the opposite of what God is, since God is love joy and light (shekinah), darkness and sadness and no love will be on the menu. But even as bad as disbelieving in God is, since that is His initial requirement - simple belief and although there are much more heinous atrocities mankind has committed, God will not seek to punish them both forever. When the book closes, so to speak on this epoch of creation, God will tie up all loose ends and be done with it all.
        hope this helps

1. profile image0

That sounds like what the Jehovah Witnesses teach. Are you a Witness?

1. profile image0

not at all
            im a pentecostal

1. profile image0

Oh. Cool.

9. profile image53
    kathleenaposted 13 years ago

it was in antioch that discipes or followers of jesus were first called christians a study of the man jesus and the way he lived his life and his teaching  applying in our own life the way in which he lived his  should have a good affect More is required of true Christians than a mere confession of faith. It is necessary that belief be demonstrated by works. has anyone seen these works

10. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

definately food for thought. We aren't the judges, and God wants us to learn to forgive.

11. carolapple profile image76
    carolappleposted 13 years ago

I begin with and base my Christianity on John 3:16: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

This rings true to the bottom of my soul for me. And this little verse implies many things. For one thing God loves this world and the human beings in it. For another thing, there is such a thing as eternal life and there is another thing that involves "perishing." If you want the first thing, the condition is that you "believe in Him."

But it stands to reason that if you believe in Him, you would want to believe the things He said. So I like to go to the gospels and carefully read all the text that quotes Jesus directly. Some people will not find all of these quotes exactly warm and fuzzy, but there are many reasons to believe that the gospels are a very accurate record of what was said. The most uncomfortable of all to me is Matthew 25: 31-46. But if I believe as in John 3:16, I don't have much basis to decide, based on what I find comfortable, that some of the things He said are true and other things He said are false.

1. profile image0

I take Jesus's words as gospel. I just think Paul was very honest at times when he admitted his words were opinion, not based on Divine guidance. Paul was a zealot, who switched sides when he saw the light. Some of his personal beliefs are simply that. And should not be seen as necessary to follow. In my opinion.

2. profile image0

Ok. I just read through the passage you quoted. As to the fires, I don't see that as an eternal torment. But the rest shows hope. He sits in judgement of callous behavior towards our fellow man. I believe anyone who cares for others is smiled on by our Maker. They show they understand the message of Christ. To me this shows there is hope for all, but a few.

1. carolapple profile image76
        carolappleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

just_curious,

I understand your opinion about the writings of Paul. I know a lot of people who feel that way. That's why its a good thing that belief in what Paul says is not a requirement to attain eternal life. The way I see is that Paul was just a guy. However, he was the guy personally chosen by Christ (road to Damascus story) to spread the gospel to the Gentile world. And I'd say he was a good choice because he certainly did  the job and did it relentlessly and to the best of considerable ability.

1. profile image0

Yes, I agree he was a good choice to take the message out to the gentiles. I don't mean to appear to bash the guy. Some of the things he said were very insightful. But some of his views I find offensive and definitely harsh. These words always appear to be opinion, in the context of the scripture involved. Or maybe it's simply wishful thinking on my part.

1. profile image0

I heard something really powerful once about the people God uses to spread His message.  Paraphrased of course, here it is:

God spoke to Balaam through an Ass, and he's been speaking through asses ever since.  So if God chooses to speak through you, don't think too highly of yourself.

That being said, keep in mind that while his central message was God inspired, Paul was in fact a man with a less than sparkling, and certainly less than perfect personality.  That means that a lot of what he had to say was colored by his own characteristics and cultural sensibilities (or lack of sensibilities). 

Does that help at all?

Hilarious! Well said! lol

1. profile image0

Not mine originally, but thank you.

2. profile image0

My thoughts exactly. Except the ass part. Never heard that, but it's a good point.

12. Micky Dee profile image70
    Micky Deeposted 13 years ago

There can be as many definitions as there are people about "what defines a Christian". The term "Christian" is adopted and used. A person who is a disciple of Christ, a true follower, holds the Golden Rule higher than any commandment, any "faith", any prophesy. That is the word of Jesus. Unless people love their brothers and sisters, unless we love others as we would like to be loved, all is lost.
    A disciple of Jesus, a true follower, will pray like this, "Our Father which is in heaven, hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come, Your will be done on our planet Earth..." And when we do this we pray that Earth will resemble heaven. Regardless of prognostications, such as the world is ending in 2012 (The world is not ending in 2012 and I'm taking all bets at 1,000,000,000 to one!)- regardless - we are to help Earth resemble heaven.
    A true Christian will refuse to vote for a lawyer, especially any coming out of Harvard or Yale. A true Christian will always keep the recommended tire pressure.

1. profile image0

Well I have to say I may not be following the tire pressure commandment. Those  new little caps confuse me. I hope that one isn't a deal breaker.

1. Micky Dee profile image70
        Micky Deeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's also best, whenever possible, to use high altitude air.

13. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

To answer the question.... in basic terms John 3:16 sums it up, with the word 'whosoever' that's kinda inclusive.

After you get past that you are talking about 'confessing the name' i.e. standing up and declaring to the world that Jesus Christ is Lord of ALL.

This can mean many fall at the first hurdle, but are they still saved? - Well John 3:16 says yes, so who am I to argue.

What most folk (and denominations)get confused about is not who gets to be saved from this world and spend eternity with God, but who gets what rewards, when we all get home.

Gods salvation is free, cannot be earned or inherited and is not probationary.

You surrender your rebellion, submit to Christ, accept who He is and you are saved, end of story.

From then on you are working out your salvation and determining where you will fit into eternity.

1. profile image0

Well, I have to say, I like your explanation. I think it shows our egos though, if we argue who gets what rewards. I'm not overly concerned with where I might stand in the pecking order in God's kingdom. I'll just feel thankful to be there.

1. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing to do with ego, indeed I would think that anyone who aimed at getting a reward would miss the whole point, and the reward.

But scripture tells us that we will all be judged, but as believers only to strip away all worthless works and words, which will burn away like stubble, leaving only that which has true worth.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15 (Amplified Bible)

The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.

If the work which any person has built on this Foundation [any product of his efforts whatever] survives [this test], he will get his reward.

But if any person's work is burned up [under the test], he will suffer the loss [of it all, losing his reward], though he himself will be saved, but only as [one who has passed] through fire.

So (to paraphrase what I meant) ONCE we are saved, (and notice the emphasis on ONCE) we stay saved, but our eternal rewards or lack of will be written by how we live our lives

1. profile image0

Fair enough. I don't say this flippantly. Whatever God decides is just.

14. arb profile image78
    arbposted 13 years ago

Lanquage is a peculiar thing. I remember from my days as a philosophy student, one philosopher defining words "as being defined by their use." That is perhaps, illustrated no where better than in how people use the word Chistian. It seems to me that one must consider the original(or first use) of a word to know just how far we have departed from the original. Genericaly, it refers to followers of Christ (proponents of His teachings) first used in the book of acts. Today, followers of Christ interpret His teachings, apparently, to incorporate their views into a homogenize version, which is easier to swallow. The inevitable consequence begs definition proportionate to the variations man has come to instill upon the original. There is however, a common thread from which mainstream Christians weave a common fabric; "That whosoever, believeth in Him, has eternal life". All else is theological opinion, much that has merit and much that is absent merit. This and this alone, is the foundation, upon which every Christian must build the house in which they live. The houses will be of varied colors according to what each will bring, but every foundation is Jesus Christ.

I wonder if that house fountain can stand for another almost trillion dollar bail out in the USA. Selling off their country's land will for sure cover the expense of the USA bankruptcy with hundred million baby boomer to boot.Politician think their false printed money is save in gold in a vaulted bank.

Even after all that, I can't find one USA Christian out of 78% of them. Who believes in the 2012 end of the world well enough, to sell me their house cheap?

Where is the faith to sell your house, yet many would rather be killed than turn to a Muslim Faith.

15. profile image0
    bolt1951posted 13 years ago

my point had nothing to do with Muslim, my point had to do more with the presentation of the muslim purity claims and how the rest of the world are infidles, and yet this and so many injustices come from this religion, to me this indicates that we aren't as pure as pure as you claim to be however neither are the muslims. If you ask me it appears like the same thing.
    Lies to the core from any and every direction, that has to do with any religion. I Believe there is maybe something simply because there has to be room for unknowns. But I Find These retuals to be mostly man made and for the most part misleading
    and manipulative. So I stand with myself and what ever I find to be real in my own eyes. And if there is something without a doubt if it is as just as most proclaim then this something will understand Why? because in accordance to all the so called literature this force is all knowing so if it is it will understand for sure. I also have a hard time understanding why on earth so many suckers exist in this world?

I guess it's our job, to teach each other something healthier

16. profile image0
    bolt1951posted 13 years ago

Yes Castle paloma I have been reading alot of your postings and it appears you seem to have the same point of view, and that is something to be commended for, my friend.

17. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Wow.  Amazingly, few responders paid attention to the whole thing about not wasting the time to type out the Scripture they chose to support their position.  Ugh.

18. TahoeDoc profile image78
    TahoeDocposted 13 years ago

So if the essence of christianity is the resurrection, it's simple.

All you have to believe is that there is a god. This wonderful god could only be appeased by a blood sacrifice. (ignore the horribleness of that for now)

So he turned himself into his own son and sacrificed himself to himself.

It makes perfect sense and all is good.

1. profile image50

Jesus did not die on the cross to start with; so there is no resurrection and hence no truth in the "Christianity" invented by Paul when Jesus had gone to India.

1. profile image0

Oh my gosh paar, you should make that into a movie. Great imagination.

1. TahoeDoc profile image78
          TahoeDocposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just Curious,

A very sincere question for you. Do you think that your questions and the idea that you try to think about these things rationally, mean that you are headed for agnosticism or even the dreaded atheism?

It seems that you recognize that there is a lot of nonsense in religion, so much contradiction that you can't get a consensus answer to your question. I just wonder if you are headed over *here*?

1. profile image0

Wherever truth leads, I stumble along behind it.. I have always agreed that the scriptures are contradictory. Only the fundamentalists refuse to recognize that. As to the message, the one I see is one that we all need to learn. Whether we believe in a God or not, but I doubt many would agree with me that this is what they see.

Short answer. My experience tells me I could never be agnostic. My heart tells me I could never be atheist. My head tells me to beat those two back so I can think awhile and do some research.

2. profile image50

Now it is a fact that Jesus went to India after surviving death on the Cross. I don't intend to make a movie on it; but there are already movies on the subject; one such I mention below:

http://www.jesus-in-india-the-movie.com … artin.html

Please Google for Jesus in India.

1. profile image0

It's a joke paar. I'm surprised they got that one over on you.

19. Jerami profile image58

Imposible ia a figmant of the imagination.

1. profile image0

I never thought about it that way. So atheists are imaginative. Wow. I'll have to process that one.

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
        the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

haha, that was kinda funny. wrong, but funny.

20. Jerami profile image58

Just stopped in long enough to say  Dowdy !   It's almost 1 AM ...     good night Yawl

21. profile image53
    salmani82posted 13 years ago

You don't have the words of christ either brother that was altered by the enimies of jesus on the first hand the jewish rabbis plotted to kill him with the roman's after he departs the same romans spread they own version of chrishtianity its strange

1. profile image0

I don't think the words of Christ were altered, as much as the message was. But that is a problem with all the monotheistic religions. There is good to be seen in them, but men have twisted them into systems used to push their own agendas. As long as people follow whoever is shouting the loudest the truth that is whispering within the texts cannot be heard.

Everyone needs to take a step back and think for themselves and stop being led by anything but their own conscience and their understanding of common decency.

Actually - what you need to do is open your mind to the truth. When you dismiss the silly idea of an Invisible Super Being - you can start to think for yourself instead of looking in a book for answers that you already have.

The texts of which you speak were written thousands of years ago by humans who had access to almost exactly the same information that you do.

The only thing they did not have that you do is the benefit of 2,000 years of hindsight. Yet you choose to ignore this valuable knowledge in favor of "You cannot fathom what I know." Why is that? Because this is where the problem starts.

1. profile image0

Morning Mark. I agree, on some levels. Give me time. I, honestly, never bothered to think about it all before. I wasn't bothering anyone, and no one was bothering me. Didn't see the need to put my beliefs into perspective with the religion I had aligned myself with.

I may never see eye to eye with you as to the existence of something more, but I do see more than I did five weeks ago. Keep being obnoxious..I need it so I don't get too complacent again. Some of these books are boring. I won't keep reading them if I don't have to try to handstand your view. I've apparently run all of the other nay sayers off.

,Oh but I wouldn't mind if you toned down the rhetoric a notch or two. smile

Keep telling you. I am simply being a mirror. See the tone I use with other people. It varies depending. Basically I take people at their word. You say you speak to people the way you wish to be spoken to?

That is exactly what I am doing. wink

1. profile image0

lol

2. profile image50

The meaning extracted from a specific syllable or sentence should be consistent with the context; some verses before and some verses after; that way the real meaning can be understood. It is no rocket science; common sense demands it; but people don't do it and take the meaning which are not there in the text or the context honestly.

I agree with you; you are perfectly correct.

1. profile image0

Common sense and common decency. People refuse to see that many of the prejudices they have are not supported by the text. Many passages are simply included because it was in line with ancient life styles, and the text is not the message they perceive. They are killing us all with the voice of ignorance and hatred from an ancient mind set.

I'm not so fearful of Christianity. I think the secular world will always keep the fundamentalists in line, but I do fear the path Islam will take. The radicals of both faiths need the light driven through their thick skulls by someone smarter than I am.

1. profile image50

I agree with you; they often don't intend to take enlightenment.

22. profile image53
    salmani82posted 13 years ago

one more things it is just like your neighbour killed your father and after a month he come with a will says that all the property and bank balance shall be handed over the same neighbor and you believe in it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)