jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Ex Jehovah Witness, most need therapy

1. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 5 years ago

As a kid born into this fanatic cult type religion, read my story of dealing with their insane rules and how I survived without having my soul sucked in totally.  <snipped link - do not promote your Hubs in the forums>

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

You're not allowed to post self promotional links on the forums.

However I will agree - although I'd say it applies to many mainstream religions, not just JWs.

1. lightning john profile image60
      lightning johnposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I didn't know about that, my apologies.

3. 0
    just_curiousposted 5 years ago

I know a few Jehovah Witnesses and a few former ones. You are correct. Even though the ones not in 'the truth' understand how insane the philosophy is they still call it that. They tend to go back to it as they age, or so it seems. I actually invited them to study, out of curiosity since I am related to a few. It's a strange belief structure, but their technique of sharing it has been honed pretty well over the years. I particularly loved the explanations as to why their prophesies have not come true and loved it when the women covered their heads if their men were present during study.

But, they are not so different from any one else within organized religion. You can't prove most of your claims, so what it simply  boils down to is faith in another person's interpretation. I give them kudos for their study of that interpretation, and their attempt to live by it.

4. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 5 years ago

As some people age they do get anxious feelings about what comes after death.  And that's what brings them back to a religion.   I really like that cat picture btw.

1. 0
      just_curiousposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I like to hide out here. Love speaking my mind, but don't relish the thought of having to deal with the fall out in an all too small real world. I don't have any problem with the Witnesses, except when they sit at my dinner table and say a grace that damns me. But, to each his own. I appreciate diversity.