jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

christain sabbath

1. valentine202 profile image59
    valentine202posted 5 years ago

which day is the christain holy sabbath or rest day?

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

shouldn't this be in the religion forums?....I am asking fro it to be moved

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Please, it's Christian, not christain.

3. Onusonus profile image85
      Onusonusposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sunday. You can tell it's Sunday because alot of stores are closed that day, and all the churches are full of people.

2. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

The "Sabbath" is traditionally Jewish.  Christians don't necessarily observe a "Sabbath," but we celebrate the Lord's Day on Sunday (with exceptions here and there among denominations).  It is considered the Lord's Day, and traditionally reserved for worship and rest, as in the Jewish tradition.

1. 0
      Digsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

God established a sabbath at creation before there was a Jewish Nation.  Sunday, as a day of worship was established by the Roman Emperor Constantine who had converted to Christianity.  The Sabbath begins at sunset Friday and ends at sunset Saturday.

1. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I suppose then that Christians observe the "Sabbath" on Sunday.  Thank you for the clarification and exposition.

3. 0
    BunuBobuposted 5 years ago

I don't think Christians have a Sabbath because its a Jewish thing.
    How would you classify "work"?
    Is driving "work"?
    Thus I would say they don't have one.
    It makes no sense in this day and age.
    What about those parts of the world where the sun rises at 6/7 and sets at 17:00, is it reasonable to demand such low levels of productivity?

4. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 5 years ago

There is a rest, called "faith".
    Those who enter into faith, also enter into rest.
    Jesus is our rest and Lord of the Sabbath.
    Though it may have been Costantine who made sunday the official day for the church, the New Testament clearly states that they gathered together on the FIRST day of the week. Sunday. These people were Jewish, and knew the sabbath to be the last day of the week. It's very clear.
    But, having said that, the early Christians met "daily from house to house..." celebrating!
    I certainly don't think it's an important enough difference between groups on this issue to break unity or fellowship together over it. smile