Intimidation of non believers

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (103 posts)
  1. akuigla profile image61
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

Is anybody else,besides me,beliefs that people who intimidate non believers with hell, are actually evil people?
    I believe in God,but God of love and good will to all.
    Any type of intimidation is just wrong.
    It serves to obtain certain result,or impede somebody.
    Do you agree?

1. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure  intimidation is involved here. The believers (not all of them) just spread the facts that they are convinced of. I personally am one with you.
      There is no hell

2. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well it is their conviction and are not aware that they are intimidating non believers...hell is mere concept and no non believer takes its seriously...infact instead of making person believer , it even scares them away....

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not evil, but their ignorant beliefs cause them to do evil things.

4. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they are evil, but don't have a firm grip on reality. Many simply enjoy the conflict it brings. Is enjoying conflict a sign of being evil? Last time I checked, conflict is the opposite of peace. So, I guess they are not at peace within themselves, therefore, don't want others to be at peace. Hence, conflict.
      Would you die for a stranger? If not, so much for following in your god's footsteps.
      It would be wrong, but people don't see it as wrong in their actions, because they are spreading a supposed truth. They are doing a god's will, by informing others of the consequences of non-belief. They are righteously justified.

It's unfortunate, they fail to see the results from their own actions, for what it truly is- conflict.
      It serves a specific result, yes indeed, divide and conquer.

5. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say they are necessarily evil; just misguided & acting out of fear & indoctrination

6. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My mother was violently Catholic in the way only converts seem to be.  I eventually had to tell her straight that it was not for me in any way and that the whole hierarchical mess with its thought police and threats was not anything I would ever discuss with her.  This arose because of my choice of non-catholic scool for my kids.  She refused to let my wife into her house - telling her that as my kids were not catholic, or even christian, they would be going to hell and so they may as well not exist.

I did not cry at her funeral.  Did not even feel particulary sad.

7. yolanda yvette profile image60
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just because you're intimidated by something someone says doesn't mean they're intending to intimidate you.  They can't help how you respond to what they say.  Perhaps, you're intimidated because you feel there may possibly be truth in what they're saying to you.  If a person is talking to you about hell, they're just trying to help you avoid it.  The same as a caring person would do if they see you about to take a fall that could possibly harm you or cost you your life.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People who talk to others about hell are insane. There is no hell for those who don't believe this rot.

1. yolanda yvette profile image60

You're talking to me about hell, does that make you insane?

And just because a person/people does not believe in hell does not mean it doesn't exist for them.  Disbelief does not negate reality.  I may go my whole life believing the sky is actually green, but that, of course, would not negate the FACT that the sky is blue.

So you believe in hell? I don't threaten people with hell. Your comment is nonsensical. Hell is a religious concept designed to scare the incredibly gullible.

I'm going by what you said. "People who talk to others about hell are insane."  You didn't say 'people who threaten others with hell are insane.' 

And yes I believe in hell.

No, you are nit picking and you know it. As for hell, as I said a concept to frighten the gullible.

I'm not nit-picking.  I'm simply responding to your comment. 

And as for hell, is it a 'concept to frigthen the gullible' because you say so.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
                    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hell is symbolic. It is archetypal. Hell is when you are suffering and can find no peace. I find it equally ridiculous to say hell is nutin'. Like all things in literature, these things have meaning. It must be taken for what it stands for.
                    The Minotaur is real.  It is the wild son of the Queen with the Tavros, the bullworshippers. This boy is a historical figure, he was incredibly stubborn earning him the nickname The Minotaur, the Minos Tavros boy. the bullheaded boy. not the boy with head of a bull.

But meanings get lost in the uneducated.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image64
                  ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It  has come to that yes, but what it really means is--You will suffer. you know this.

Sometimes, it is difficult to teach complex concepts of the psyche to young people. So you use stories. But then when they grow up, they should be taught what those stories mean. But no one is teaching properly in most parts of the world. No one is decoding.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75
                  Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How come when a Christian mentions Hell its called Intimidation or In docrination etc ,but when an Athiest mentions it its called something else. lol
                  Double standards ,oh dear,make up your minds.

If you dont believe in something,why would it bother you??

Why?

Example: Athiests beleive in no after life. I have never gone on an on about that, nor do I feel intimated by that expressed fact.

Dont believe it, you do, case closed.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
                    Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Hell..... I believe Grumpy Pills Exist!
                    - And they have an after life.. you know.. like bad flatulence big_smile

2. yolanda yvette profile image60

Hell is as real as you and I.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image62
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi yolanda, I can relate to your first reply. I have shared scriptures about hell with the love of God in my heart. Some in the forums stated that christians is not showing love when they do this. It's not sharing the full gospel if we leave that part out.

8. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. smile

9. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There should be a category called Whiners, or antiChristians, to put this thread in.

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I think it's evil, but I'm kind of selfish. I'm glad they did it, because it started a chain reaction that pushed me to reevaluate the whole religion argument. It's actually caused me to become a nonbeliever, so yeh they need to stop now. Or not. Maybe their craziness will do some good for others too. smile

1. profile image0

you'll get hassled by a few - I see one called you beelzebub on another thread.  I got called that too

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol who? Where?

I saw something about beelzebub, but I thought he was referencing beelzedad..calling him boy or something in satan speak. Was he talking about me? That's too funny.

1. profile image0

think is was by victor - can't remember which thread - maybe the one on christian love.  When I got called beelzebub, I though they meant beelzedad too at first.....so ridiculous...just have to laugh at how childish they are

1. profile image0

yeah, it's the christian love hub.  Victor said 'beelzebub has taught you well'

1. profile image0

I found it and posted back to the little dweeb.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
          DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So how does this side of the fence feel? Feel different now that you are completely "free"? (not sure what else to call it)

1. profile image0

I don't guess I'm completely free. Someone, who will remain unnamed, has the poor taste to keep calling me indoctrinated. Who knows? He might be right. I won't know until I can figure out what he's talking about. But I'm actually enjoying it so far.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

Remnant beliefs. It affects your entire world view, moreso than you realize when you're in it.

Keep thinking and you'll shake them all loose with time.

Congratulations, truth will set you free and give you wings.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

agreed!!

2. profile image0

Give me an example of one. This indoctrination argument irritates me. The only thing I could find on it was a disgusting website talking about inbreds. I have no idea how it could apply to me.

I was indoctrinated into religion. Growing up in a religious environment will do it if that is considered the norm in a society. smile

when you have grown up and followed religious beliefs your whole life...it is hard not to revert back to some of the thought processes when attempting to explain your point of view. Some of the people who have this opinion of you...are pure logical thinkers with little to no emotional thinking involved. They are concerned with facts not opinions or feelings on a matter...(for the most part). if a subject is approached from logic only, it leaves no room for personal opinion. there is either an answer or there isn't.

Well, after listing four things based on the christian love thread, I decided it wasn't right for me to assume what you may believe based on just the observations of one thread.

You'll see. They just kind of pop up out of the blue every once in awhile to remind you how foolish you once were. Of course, it all depends on how deeply you were immersed.

4. Beelzedad profile image58
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It probably doesn't apply to you in the least, that's not the point of the argument.

We only need look at the very simple definition of indoctrination: "Teaching someone to accept doctrines uncritically"

Breaking it down we see the very first word to be teaching, which is quite true. Indoctrination involves the process of teaching just like any other process of teaching, whether it be practical, theory or anything in between. Kids get taught by their parents, schools, peers, idols, you name it, they are taught by whatever input is available.

The next is the acceptance of doctrine. In other words, whatever is taught is accepted as true and therefore when is conjured in the mind as thoughts or repeated later have no implication of deceit or prejudice contained within and can be freely shared as if it were reality.

But, the last and one of the most important aspects of the definition is the word "uncritically" which is the conditions on which one thoroughly accepts the doctrine. What it means is that no matter what is taught, there is no need to apply any critical or evaluative cognizance of reason or rationale to the stated doctrine. No need to question or raise concern to the teachings presented when faced against other ideas or concepts.

smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

I can break it down even more simply.

Mans word
                    Gods word

If you say its all doctrine,then you choose which doctrine you accept/reject.

If you say one is fact ,one is not,once again you choose..

Mans word
                    Mans word

Now its all doctrine right?

2. profile image0

It would have shown an instinctive development of the concept of compassion to have posted that explanation, I don't know, a couple of weeks ago?

3. profile image0

I've been thinking about this post, and the more I do the more it bothers me. Explain to me, by your definition, how you aren't (as you have claimed on many occassions) indoctrinated.

I would need to see evidence of the vacuum you were put in as an infant, if I am to believe you were not indoctrinated.

Does this mean, since you aren't indoctrinated in any way; that you concede that you do not know the truth?  Or, are you indoctrinated and therefor have accepted certain things as truth?

Since I questioned and reflected on debates we had, and you dogmatically stood your ground, who fits indoctrinated by this one?

smile in time...in time...

3. profile image0

you won't feel free overnight - it's a process

I agree, it takes a while to get past it, but boy! what a wonderful feeling it is to know you are responsible for your own life, well being and happiness.
                As a famous American president once said (Abe as I recall)

"People are as happy as they make up their minds to be"

1. profile image0

I'm more content than ever these days.  I spent years feeling miserable - partly from health issues and partly because I had never resolved how I felt about christianity (because it was too exhausting for me to deal with when I was really sick).

2. profile image0

Well, since I've always felt responsible for my life I won't have that to worry about. I never actually believed anyone was moving mountains for me. We weren't raised that way. I agree with Abe though.

Good for you! It may not take you long to get past it then.
                    Good old Abe had some doozy sayings didn't he? lol

2. profile image0

these forums made me certain I never wanted to be a christian (or any other religious belief)

1. profile image0

I thought you grew up pentecostal.

1. profile image0

yes, I am a former christian (was in pentecostal denomination).  Don't ever want to go back to become christian. 
          A christian on my facebook has been sending me messages about how she thinks modern christians have it all wrong and the messiaic (sp?jews are right.   Not sure why she's telling me all this (she told me I had listened to the lies of the devil when she read my hubs on how I no longer believe).  Sounds like she's trying to convince herself that it's all real

1. profile image0

Well, christians stayed away from me already, so I doubt I'll have that problem. I do have the inlaws though. This philosophy is not something that will be shared with them. They'd probably picket in the front yard until my husband divorced me.

1. profile image0

I 'came out' to my parents via my hubs.  I linked them to my facebook & the christians on there very quickly told my mother - she was rather upset for a bit and after writing a few ugly emails to me, she didn't speak to me for weeks.  I was a bit apprehensive when we went to visit, but they did not make us have to endure grace at meals, nor did they bombard us with christian music.  She had finally got the message that I don't believe what she does, but that doesn't make me a rotten person & I did not want to broach the subject unless she could dialogue without getting all emotional about it (impossible for her).

1. profile image0

Your mother sounds like a very good woman. Few serious bible thumpers I know would take your stand as anything but a challenge. I fear if my husband's parents found out I'd have them over every other day, shoving literature at me. You should be thankful your mother is so understanding.

Sad to know your in-laws are so rigid JC. That could make life difficult for some. My inlaws were bone ignorant-by choice. They are both gone now, but they sure made things hard for my wife and me when we were young.
                  In my early twenties I went in to business and immediately made heaps of money. They hated my guts for it.

1. profile image0

Well, at least my in laws admit I've been a good influence on my husband. He used to be the type I always say lets their testosterone get in the way of their thought processes. He's a pussy cat,  compared to the stories they all tell about him. So, they give me quarter for that. But that's about it. I just don't want to reach the point where this causes conflict. They'll never change. The horrible thing is I've always thought everyone has a right to an opinion on this, and I've already moved past that point. I honestly wish everyone could step away. Very odd for me. It borders on intolerant.

2. profile image0

well, I had over a decade of getting preached at and emotional emails saying 'come back to the lord before it's too late'.  Since, I've made my views clear & final, she had a big reaction & then seems to have accepted it (even though she doesn't like it).  She probably knows that I won't tolerate that kind of rubbish anymore and she wants to see her grandchild

A decade? That is a hell of a long time to listen to religious babble. I think that is a good definition of hell! lol

3. earnestshub profile image80

You are the second person to read their way through religion and emerge in the daylight on these threads. We had another christian decide to join the unbelievers a few months ago.
      Welcome back from the myth. smile

1. profile image0

Deleted

Well, I have traveled all over America, know heaps of smart Americans as friends and still believe America is one of the most religious countries in the world today.
          Glenn Beck is considered a comedy in my part of the world, and ridiculous shock jocks are mostly religious fanatics in the states.
          I wish you well with staying out of the constant indoctrination that forms a large part of the American Psyche. smile

1. profile image0

Who's glen beck?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

An overpaid moron lol

1. profile image0

Well, there's a lot of those here in the states..I guess since we're in a religious forum he's a televangelist or something. I've honestly never watched any of those shows. They're too bizarre.

But Oh so funny! lol

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75

GB is a very contraversial Fox TV Presenter.

I think he mainly attacks Political figures ,but yep hes aggressive over almost anyone.

Hes been heavily critised and I think he was almost fired with offending the sponsors. Maybe he has toned down now-dont know.

I havent seen him for a long time ,but hes still on Fox.

Check him on YouTube,there be alot of videos Im sure.

1. profile image0

Oh. He's a political commentator. Arghh. Our branch manager is way right. Our hold isn't music, it's right wing crap. He's probably on there. I called in one day and got put on hold. I was so offended by the program I complained. He laughed. It's who we are. We take our politics seriously. They're still bent out of shape over Obama.

2. earnestshub profile image80

Great! you obviously managed to miss him. Well done! smile

1. profile image0

It isn't that hard. You've got a choice of two hundred channels and three of them are christian. I just don't punch those numbers.

He is on Fox JC, he comes on after the news here in Australia on cable.

1. profile image0

Yeh..I saw that from above on eaglekiwi's post..I don't listen to that either. Too emotionally charged for me. I listen to Npr and read news on the internet. Or read the paper.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

Outside the middle east, africa and certain south american countries, yes. We are the most religious of 'advanced' nations, and far more religious than most of europe.

Also of interest is that the places most religious are the most war-torn and poor, and it looks like we may be headed that way as well. The poorest and worst-off states as rated by such things as education, economy and social equality, are also the most religious. Incidentally, these states are also republican run.

So it would seem that religious belief makes for a stupid populace, easily manipulated and easily taken advantage of.

1. Cagsil profile image69

Now, that's an understatement. lol lol Good though.. tongue smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

That reads like truth to me. I know that Mexico has a squillion catholics. It is hard not to notice all the countries with a lousy education system which are mostly poor and manipulated.
              America is looking very shaky in that aspect as well.

Yes, America IS on shaky ground, very much so.

2. profile image0

was the other person me, or is there another?  I found the tired old cliches from the believers to be very off-putting.  And I used to regurgitate those cliches myself smile

Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I think the best way to explain it is like, well first you might start thinking they're wrong about this or that. Then you find a sect which kinda agrees with your new beliefs, but then you find that doesn't quite make sense either, so you keep hopping around looking for what does. Soon you're like christian lite, like our OP up there. You hold to parts, but let go of everything you don't like, and you don't even try to make sense of it anymore. Then you get realer, and move to generic universalism. Then you're checking out Buddhism and the Tao and Confucius. Wicca, paganism.

Eventually you just admit you haven't a clue, and it's really possible that there's no god at all. So you're agnostic.

Let that sink in while you read some more, keep thinking, and it all falls into place, you suddenly realize what a huge pile of doggy doodoo it all is, before you know it you're an atheist hiding semi-uncomfortably behind the agnostic label.

Give that some time to simmer, and then you're really free. Because then you know that they're aren't any rules, everyone else is at least as messed up in the head as you are anyway, so you may as well start thinking for yourself and making your life the way you want it to be.

At least, that's how it was for me. Your experience will almost definitely vary.

4. Cristen Rodgers profile image68
    Cristen Rodgersposted 13 years ago

I don't know that labeling them as evil is any better than them labeling 'sin'.  I think that it is just a matter of ego control...they believe something firmly and are afraid to second guess it.  Then, when someone else comes along to challenge their ego's hold on things, they need to be right.  Being right of course means changing the other person's mind.  This isn't an original concept though, it just changes shape depending on who uses it and for what justification.  All we can do is show them that we are just as connected to our own 'god' (whatever that may be to each of us) as they are theirs and rise above the temptation to argue thus showing them that the ego doesn't always have to win.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1193077.jpg

Yes I would dive for you all wink

Had to pop in and spread the love ,lol.
    Hey we might not agree and I can give as well as take a challenge.

But I genuinely wish you all a great week-end smile

6. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Paddy was on his way home from the pub a little worse for wear. He came across the Vicar who was pushing his motorcycle. "Why are you pushing your bike Vicar?" says Paddy.

"piston broke" said the Vicar.

"No worries" says Paddy "I'm like that every Saturday night!"

7. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1920573_f248.jpg

From gummies to glam smile   Size 16 lol ya nut.

I promise I will not reveal who the 'Grim Reaper
    ' is in the background neither tongue

Some intimidation is acceptable I spose,least thats what the small print said lol

Hey- 6 hrs in waders and fishy rubber pants,with a hint of Old Spice mingling with Speights is making me break out in a---- a---rash.

And another thing.....shit I forgot lol

8. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

So, um I have a question, if God created all of us and lord's it over us all the time, who lords it over him? (read this to say who created him nothing more nothing less)

lol lol

2. yolanda yvette profile image60

col. 1:16-17 says, 'For by him were all things created, that are in heaven and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers:  All things were created by him:  and he is BEFORE all things, and by him all things consist.'

If it were possible for God to have been created, or have a lord over him, who is the creator that created God and what's his name?  And where is he at now?  God is in heaven and everywhere all at one time (he's omnipresent), therefore where is the creator that created God?

1. profile image0
        lynnechandlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha and really something written in a book is supposed to make me believe he was the first and only one. Sorry, try again.

Edit: And this is exactly what the thread is talking about IMO. Got to throw bible verse at me to get me to see it your way. Because any other concept is just not acceptable.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great questions! I couldn't have stated that any better. Do you have any answers?

Maybe, in the same way that god is invisible to us, his god is invisible to him and he must have faith to believe in Him.

smile

9. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Intimidation of non believers

Non-believers should not be intimidated; they should be convinced with reasonble and rational arguments.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)