jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (35 posts)

Two Questions to Ponder

1. profile image0
    SirDentposted 6 years ago

Had a question to post and decided to post two.  They are similar and might mean the same thing but we will see.

Does what I do define who I am?

Is who I am define what I do?

All thoughts are welcome from anyone who wants to post.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image87
      DoubleScorpionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is my opinion only...What we do is how we are defined by others. Who I truly am, will always define my "hidden" actions. If my "hidden" actions and my "public" actions match, (and they should unless I am dishonest about something) then they will tell who I am as a person.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have always felt that as long as I know what and what I am, I could care less how others might perceive me. How to win friends and influence people or enemies hold no importance to me whatsoever.  Besides myself the only one I am resposible to is Almighty God my creator, no body else has more importance.

It looks like a duck. It smells like a duck. It quacks like a duck. It makes it a duck right? Nope, it is a Chicken, because it says it is a chicken and it knows it is a chicken.

However, If a duck is actually a duck. It will walk like one, quack like one and smell like one. It doesn't have to claim anything else, everyone knows it is a duck.

How I act tells others who I am.
          Who I am will govern how I act (unless I am dishonest).

This has nothing to do with winning or influencing (unless I am protraying something other than me to win favor).

And as a claimed christian, one who is to be a light unto others, how you are perceived by others should be of great concern to you. You are to be a witness for christ, correct?

But, you are correct. If you are doing things the right way, all day-everyday, then who cares what others think.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
            Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wrong! I am who and what I say I am. You may not like it you may not accept it. Fact is I don't care whether you do or not. I am me and I am an extremely unique individual unlike any other you have ever or will ever know.

Ahhh.. I gotcha...Seems you don't like me. I'll not discuss any more points with you, as it seems you do not like to discuss differences. Have a good day. smile

(and by the way. I was mostly agreeing with what you said.)

1. Cagsil profile image59
                Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image88
              Slarty O'Brianposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You think that you are what you say you are or you wouldn't say it. But few people know themselves. Fewer still know what a god is.

Good post, DoubleScorpion

2. Cagsil profile image59
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No.
      No.
      Okay, appreciated.

3. profile image70
      logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We are defined by our words and our actions.  Not what others think of us.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree partially.  Sometimes we all do and/or say stupid things, (I know I have), but that doesn't make me stupid.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think both things are true, whether you mean our vocations in life or the state of our hearts.
      As well as two other things----what we neglect to do, and what we refrain from doing.

1. profile image0

Very good Brenda.  Wisdom is in your words.  Sometimes we fail to do what we should do out of decency of the heart.  What we refuse to do also defines who we are.

I am running out of time this morning to address other coments.  Will be back later today.

5. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, to the first question, but superficially. If you're talking of how people perceive you. But, of course, it in no way defines who you really are. Their reaction to what you say and do is as much of an imprecise reflection of who they really are as you.

Who you are would certainly define what you do. I would think. What else could motivate your actions? Even if you act in accordance with someone else's will, you are defined by that action as a follower of your perception of their will.

1. profile image0

I have to ponder a little more on this.  I may also ask the questions again but revise them to be a little more specific. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

Good post. Very perceptive.

6. aka-dj profile image77
      aka-djposted 6 years ago in reply to this

To the world we live in, our actions are the only thing they can define us with.

To God, who looks at the motives of the heart, it's who we are that defines us.

1. profile image0

I agree.  All that we do, that is seen, shows who we are but only to those who see us.  It is in essence only a part of who we are though because there is so much in a person's life that no one else sees.

In other words, it is only one part of a picture to those who see us and what we do.

The Bible states that God knows the heart of men.  It also states that He tries the heart.  We also know that those who are saved, according to the Bible, are saved by grace, which is the gift of God. 

So maybe we are not what we do but we are who we are only by the grace of God.  Paul wrote, "I am what I am by the grace of God."

Thanks for the thoughts.

7. Pandoras Box profile image81
      Pandoras Boxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Both. It's reciprocal. What you do helps build who you are, and who you are helps decide what you do.

An ongoing learning and growing process in a well-balanced person. If you learn without growing, pointless, and if you grow without learning, meaningless. A well-balanced person does both, simultaneously and continuously, and both the learning and the growing follow and help lead the other.

1. profile image0

These are some very deep thoughts.  I will ponder these more before I come up with a good reply.

Thanks for your thoughts.

A quick question.  Can a person grow without learning? (in your opinion)

1. Pandoras Box profile image81
          Pandoras Boxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, in my opinion. But they grow unwell. Like the seeds parable. They grow fast and big, and even dangerous, but with no real foundation the growth is fruitless and the plant soon withers. Don't look it up, I'm sure I'm a little off, but the gist of it is the same. Lotta wisdom in the bible.

Where's this question coming from, if I may ask? Faith vs. works? Yes, same thing. Both are empty without the other and the whole effort stalls from inertia.

1. profile image0

I understand what you are saying.  Ia gree that a good foundation is necessary for good growth, much like a plant needs good soil to grow to it's full potential.

The original question I asked because of something I read on a blog.  The second question I asked after pondering the first for a few days.

I am thinking of maybe writing a hub on this subject but not sure just yet.

8. andromida profile image74
      andromidaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What you do something for your professional reasons may not indicate properly who you are, but your behavior as a human being is directly related to what you actually are.Thanks.

9. Slarty O'Brian profile image88

Both. You do what you do because you are what you are. But most people do not know what they are because they are a combination of conditioning and genetic predisposition. They react automatically in particular ways because they are conditioned to. The seeker discovers there is no way to eliminate conditioning. But we can learn and recondition ourselves so that we are in more control of our conditioning.  When you can do that consciously you begin to know yourself and what you are.

10. PlanksandNails profile image88
      PlanksandNailsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

First of all, to answer the questions properly, who is the one defining? Relatively, both questions could be answered yes or no and be correct.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

I'm guessin' that avatar with you with the guitar
    does not not define who you are.

1. profile image0

It does actually, but only partially.  It is but one pixel of the whole picture.  It shows I am a musician and I do play that guitar.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

..in relation to what i do to pay the bills - No to both questions

...in my social/personal life and what I do - then, Yes to both questions...

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...i should correct the first one - somewhat right now - rather than No to both...

2. profile image0

I kind of like both of these answers. Many people have jobs that they hate or dislike very much only because they need to work to pay their bills and put food on the table.

4. kess profile image60
    kessposted 6 years ago

Who I am is the first and the last question...

When one has the answer, he need no other definition other than I AM.....

Those who do not have the answer will constantly be redefining themselves...

They would say I am  this or that according to the kind of wind blowing...  this they do to have some sort of security within themselves in the eyes of men.

This they will do because they are still lost...

When he find himself he will plainly say... I AM....and thats that.

1. profile image0

Not sure what to say to this.  I think you are saying that you are God.  Let me know if I am wrong an set me straight.

1. kess profile image60
        kessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it far more important to you to know who you are...

when you know that my identity would be made  plain also...

So "who Am I" is the first and last question to you.... from the answer to that one all other answers come..........
        or forever remain a mystery..

5. earnestshub profile image86
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

Please don't reply to josiM this is spam, and I have flagged the hubber.

working