The F.... word in Church

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (44 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I was sent an email with this.
    I thought it might be worth sharing here.
    let's hear what you all think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d8fV7ONAxM

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not even right.
      That preacher may think he's doing the right thing, but the conclusion he brought the message to will cause needless confusion and manipulation.
      It would be different if "the f word" originally meant "forgive" and he was trying to kinda re-claim it, but it didn't, and he can't.
      I think he's another "f word"------a fool.  It's obvious that God didn't give him that message to preach.   I'm disappointed at the things preachers will do and say to attract attention, instead of preaching the awesome Gospel that needs no embellishment.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So I take it by your position that he's not preaching the word, and therefore banned from the Kingdom of God?

Maybe this preacher's "F word" could be applicable in your feelings toward him?

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not my place to ban him from the Kingdom of God!  .....The video ends before the final conclusion.....are we to assume he didn't explain himself better later in the sermon?  I suppose so!   
          If I were in that congregation, though, I'd probably take him aside after the service and admonish him.  Whether he listened or not would be his decision.  I think he should retract what he said the next time he preaches, or else step down from the ministry.  The type of thing he's put out there is nonsense, and shouldn't be allowed to continue.  Perhaps he will ask God for forgiveness, and I sure hope he doesn't just ask God for "the f word"....

Couldn't help but chuckle about that visual Brenda...

The preacher says

Please God, "F word" me.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
              Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Think God is much bigger than trends ,no doubt hes seen it all.

But who are we to judge that God wont use this (his style) for good.

I am reminded of the scripture.

"He who is not with me is against me,"
              Matthew 12:30. Luke 11:23

(The disciples couldnt wait to tell Jesus ,how others were preaching his laws...)

The above scripture was Jesus 's reply

2. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you that the preacher should not have gone so low.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74

I wouldnt go as far as to say its wrong ,but I do agree the Preacher does seem to have joined the 'Hollywood' style of 'Getting the crowds attention' and making it hip. I would safely assume hes trying to usher in the word of God on a level some may identify with more easily.

Some people are sensitive to Church heavy traditions and holier than thou preaching (which in my opinion can be just as nauseating).

His message was a good one smile

2. the pink umbrella profile image75
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

absolutely loved that. in fact, im not a christian, but now whenever someone pisses me off im going to say "forgive you" instead of F u. That way i dont have to walk around all pissed.

1. the pink umbrella profile image75

now, im going to go forgive my man....excuse me.

2. aka-dj profile image64
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow.
        That's awesome.
        Good for you. It would be nice if everyone had that attitude!
        How different the world would be if we all just forgave each other, no matter what.
        smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
          Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. smile

1. aka-dj profile image64
            aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it interesting that no atheists have entered this thread. Maybe it's been flying under their radar.
            I know one thing, they think they are never wrong, never make mistakes nor do they hurt anyone, so, they are the last to admit forgiveness is a  necessity for them. big_smile

1. pay2cEM profile image81
              pay2cEMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, pot. I'm kettle. You're black.

1. profile image0
                Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't Hub Angry, EM. just sayin`.

DJ has a point. And he is not so aloof.
                But you know this already...
                Ironing err irony is such a tedious task...

Hammer & Paint, Knit-Pick One, Pearl Too.
                James.

1. pay2cEM profile image81

I didn't mean to sound angry (I wasn't). I just think it's funny that the main thing that irritates both sides the most about the other is the one thing they both have in common.

1. profile image0
                    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

absolutely correct.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61
              Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

dj, Yes it's interesting. I agree with your reply 100%. This thread is about forgiveness. Maybe that's why no atheist have entered this thread.

3. footballgraveyard profile image60
      footballgraveyardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the best f- word is football. That is Engllish football, so in the US it would be the s- word and in Italy the c--. Now this is getting confusing.

Let's just ban the alphabet and look at picures. But not all kinds of pictures though. Only the f---pictures if the f is football.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

F u Dj smile

New spin on 'hood jargin' roll

1. the pink umbrella profile image75

get hip to the jive eagle....get hip to the jive. lol

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...ha ha ha....FU exes!....i just sent by text to Bob! and John, George, Bubba, Dick, Harry, and finally...the Big Guy!

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

It's good to be F'ed, according to this guy.

5. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 13 years ago

when you watched the movie "Braveheart" you were introduced to the right of "Prima Noctra" (first night) where the Enlish Lords bedded the new Scottish brides before their new husbands did.

Fornicating
    Under
    Consent of the
    King

the "f" word is actually an anacronym. a lot of fuss over a misundertood etymology of language. funny as well. Dr. Mike

1. dingdondingdon profile image59
      dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's actually an urban myth, the word is not an acronym at all.

Yeah, there is another myth about the acronym being

For
        Unlawful
        Carnal
        Knowledge

But apparently some are bypassing what this new "F" word is and not watching the video.

It will be much more difficult to make up an acronym for that "F" word. Probably won't be very popular either.

2. superwags profile image66
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My understanding is that it comes from German "ficken" or "fokken" in dutch.

I hope there's noone on here from theose respective countries to take offence! You're right, the fornication under consent of the king is a myth.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Are you speaking of the word 'Forgive'?

3. pay2cEM profile image81

That's an old wives' tale. Persistent, but completely false. (Other versions have it coming from "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" ie: premarital sex, which foricators were allegdly forced to wear around their neck like the Scarlet Letter.) The actual etymology comes from the Scandinavian word FOKKEN, which meant to thrust [in a sexual manner].

6. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

f yo mama and yo family to lol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Thankyou Optimus

Same back at ya f.u to overflowing smile

7. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

he's trying to change the perception of people and as a society we need that from time to time. Theres nothing wrong with what he did, the f word means forgive. Close your eyes and open your mind it'll set in!!!

8. workingmomwm profile image80
    workingmomwmposted 13 years ago

Wow. That's really interesting. Definitely a good message, but it seems like he kind of lost it there at the end in all the excitement.

9. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 13 years ago

you may enjoy Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers "The Power of Myth". Both eye-opening and fascinating how long we all go back in history and what "urban legends" are ruling todays society. Proven, Jesus was not born on Dec 25th. Easter-same. Santa Claus. So much more most take for granted as "truth". Do you know what was going on right before in our world and worship before JC? If you can pry your mind open you may enjoy David:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M35gsedKjMM takes about 3 minutes to start-great history info. Dr. Mike

10. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Actually, thats a pretty good video. I've heard of ministers  in the inner cities defending the use of the other f word by the teenagers in their churches. Said it is just a word everyone uses these days. It was sad, to think anyone believed that people had a need to speak so coarsely. Maybe this guy can start a trend and change some of the street language.

11. aka-dj profile image64

Thanks everyone for your input.
    I notice a couple of comments criticising the message.
    I can understand both perspective, but, it's a good sermon in so much as it draws the hearer in. I know it's not suitable to everyone, but similar to NT days, they used common colloquialisms to speak to the (common) people.
    Let's just say, No-one missed the point!
    If this is the only way some would listen to a godly message and hear "forgiveness" taught, great.

Looks like I finally found a thread not derailed by atheists.
    (ssshhhh, I better not speak too loud, or too soon.) lol lol lol

12. aka-dj profile image64

F... You Mark! smile

1. vector7 profile image59
      vector7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

13. ReMarkaBlogs profile image61
    ReMarkaBlogsposted 13 years ago

Yes it's good to be F'ed, in the way our preacher clearly explains, because it's good to be forgiven.How is that so difficult to understand?

I doubt God gave two hoots about it, why so threatened, good people?

And it's clear that he defined what the F word should be "forgive". God, please F me, F him etc (forgive).

I agree he is 'pushing the envelope'a bit here, but he is stressing the need for forgiveness, folks.
    It's not surprising that the non churched think christians are so asinine- many of us are. I have been, and undoubtedly, will behave like an ass many more times before I die. (remember-that's a bible word).

Sheesh! Talk about ignoring the camels but freaking out about the gnats. But to some christians, it just comes gnatsurally.

14. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 13 years ago

The Church should just get a sense of perspective a sense of humour, and grow up, rather than getting hysterical that what a preacher said might be associated with a 'bad' word.

The f-word, the s**t word and others are simply words that in Anglo Saxon times 1000 years ago were part of the vernacular as 'sex' and 'dung' are today. It's only the subsequent chattering classes who wishing to distance themselves from the great unwashed, began to condition polite society not to use these words. They are not offensive words unless one chooses to be offended.

I've a new offensive word, it's called 'teapot'. From now on 'teapot' is a foul and evil rude word. Now let's sit back and see what happens in the next 200 years.

15. aka-dj profile image64

I wish you would not swear at me.
    Don't you know how OFFENSIVE the word "teapot" is to me.
    I ought to have you banned from the forums for this! big_smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

16. aka-dj profile image64

We know what it means, but that's not the point, is it?

17. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't want to judge him but i found it offensive to my spirit to the point i didn't listen to the whole thing.

I used to swear, then i found God and the f word just disappeared. Now it stings a bit to hear it.

unecessary
    I would leave, and not seek to come back

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)