jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

1. 0
    just_curiousposted 5 years ago

This is the one thing that irritates me the most on a daily level.  I looked, to refresh my memory, what the deadly sins are. It has been my observation hypocrisy can have a root in any one of four of them.

I know of no polite way to approach the subject, but I find it impossible to be polite when it's raging within a conversation.

What do you think causes it? How do you deal with it on a daily basis?

1. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 5 years ago in reply to this

People have no integrity.
      They say what they want and do what they want.
      If there is a conflict between the two, they are full of excuses why it is so, or why not.

No distinction between religious or nonreligious.
      However, more is expected of the religious (I think). hmm

1. 0
        just_curiousposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're right.  It does tend to manifest as finger pointing here on the forum.  But what I deal with is just as irritating. It seems like a lot of people have rewritten their personal histories and look down on people doing what they did in their youth.  I find it ridiculous. It's hard for me because I don't have a problem with any 'mistakes' I might have made.  I think of them as learning experiences, so I have no problem admitting anything I've done.

Plus, it seems to me to be the problem with gossip.  People do things, then talk about other people as if there were something wrong with them for doing the exact same thing. It's drives me to distraction.

1. aka-dj profile image79
          aka-djposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's what people do to make themselves feel better. Put others down. They think this lifts themselves up. Mostly, it does not.
          We are called to lift others up, not cut them down.

2. Cristen Rodgers profile image82
          Cristen Rodgersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is tough, I know!  I try really hard to understand that their line of thought, perception, or stage of growth is different than my own and therefore not judge them.  I'm in no way an expert, though.  I often find myself fighting with the temptation to respond in the same way by thinking, "how can they not see that they are being hypocritical?"  But, that would be hypocritical of me since I was once young too and tended to judge everyone else around me instead of looking at myself....Haha all we can really do is focus on improving ourselves, we can't control others and surely shouldn't waste our time stressing over their inconsistencies.

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is no sin except one...

The mind will create every other sin for itself because it has abandoned Truth, which is the Only sin.

Only Truth can give a man freedom of all Sins

1. 69
        paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this
  2. brotheryochanan profile image60
    brotheryochananposted 5 years ago

As a christian grows, there is always some period of hypocrisy, which may not be hypocrisy, but is instead, something else:
    -God working in another area allows this other area to be for a while until He gets to it later.
    -As we search scripture we can easily think, "Okay i gotta do that and that", and then blow it in either area. But this is not how Christianity works. It's not a set of rules that one forces themselves into the mold of.
    -A christian has trouble not idolizing his money or swears when upset or whatever, to that christian he stumbles repeatedly in a certain area. This 'hypocrisy' can lead to the christian feeling condemned about his worthiness and the onlooker who knows, say for example, that swearing is wrong thinks this is hypocrisy when actually it is an area the christian needs to work on AND in Gods time the christian will get it right, but no one can force this christian into a mold or set of rules. This is the relationship aspect between the christian and God.
    So hypocrisy, as some see it, need not always be construed as hypocrisy for where the grace of God is, there is liberty and where there is liberty there is room for both growth and love to abound.