jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)

Origins of sorcery

1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 6 years ago

What are the origins are origins of sorcery?  When & where?  Egypt? 
    What influences did sorcery have on religion & vice versa?

1. profile image0
      Multimanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It first started with cups, without cups there would have been no sorcers to put them on, and then there was the world cup of soccer, and a lot of misspelling and repitition in your original question.

2. Stevennix2001 profile image83
      Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well first of all, you have to remember when sorcery originated, it was around a time when people were a lot more superstitious about things, and rumors would spread throughout the land of tall tales and myths.  This would lead to a lot of misguided myths like Werewolves, Vampires and such.  Where sure a person could tell a bunch of strangers that he was attacked by a vicious pack of wolves, then sooner or later, as these strangers tell their friends, as their friends tell their friends, and so and so forth, then a lot of times the tells would get misconstrued to where the story would sound something like this....

some guy was attacked by a series of werewolves in the next town

even though we all know that's not what was originally said, but you get the idea.  personally, i don't think sorcery ever really existed, as i think it was just a way to explain things that most people didn't understand back then.  then again, i could be wrong on that.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm  looking at the history of alchemy & am wondering where sorcery fits in - apparently one of the first alchemists was a sorcerer

1. Stevennix2001 profile image83
          Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh yeah, that is true. I forgot about alchemy.  You think there's a strong connection there?

1. profile image0

yes, the alchemy seems to be a bit of sorcery, as well as religious rites

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sorcery is the "Practice" of Evil ... it is sometimes called Black Magic ...

In Sorcery and Black Magic, the Sorcerer, "begs Filthy Spirits" to do harm to unsuspecting clean individuals ...

These Filthy Spirits doing harm, to Humans and d'Ginns, are either Satan's Human Followers, or the d'Ginnic Satan's Progeny; meaning,his children, or his accursed children's descendents ... they are the accursed among Humans and the d'Ginns.

Sorcery ... meaning, the humans Practicing The Lord's "Forbidden" ... has its Origins, in the Act of Cain ... a son of Adam, Peace be Upon Adam, and we can see Evil's practice Mentioned, in the Torah, the Bible, and Al'Quran ...

The sundry Cabals, to some degree, stipulate, by rationalizing Evil in such, as Freemasonry, Voodoo, the Templar, and  the 'Foretelling, by Numbers' as a religion sanctioned Practice etc., all these have Origins, in Persian, Indian, and Babylonian etc. Practices.

For example, the corrupt Practices of ancient Persians, though these were the Practices of the corrupted, among the followers of Prophet David's Message, Peace be him ... but strangely, it was the "Magi" as a whole...after whose name, the Term "Magic" was later coined by corrupt clergies !

The Magi, however, were a Noble People, followers of Prophet David, Peace be Upon him, they were among the first to talk to, and present gifts to the infant, Jesus Christ, in the manger... Peace be Upon Jesus Christ ...

The Magi had learned Magic from Two Angels, who Taught magic, at Babel, in The Purpose of Creation ... but it was for doing Good, in the learned, imparting the Knowledge, and with it, the ability, to distinguish Good from Evil... The Corruption was, in the Practicing of the Knowledge for Evil purposes.

Later, in King Solomon and other Prophets times ... Magic was Practiced by the Deniers of God ... as they do today.

Our Prophet, Muhammad, Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon him, was also a Victim of Sorcery, for a brief spell, till Allah Almighty, Granted him the Knowledge, to annihilate all the Evils of Magic  ...
      For Sorcery is Practiced by the Evil, in unleashing it upon those, they deem a Threat, to their Evil ...

4. deblipp profile image59
      deblippposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The problem with your question, Baileybear, is that "sorcery" is a generic term. It is any magical system that involves the invocation or evocation or cooperation of spirits.

From this definition, it's pretty clear that "sorcery" is a universal concept and has been practiced since prehistoric times. Even the simplest of folk magic, if a spirit is involved, could be referred to as sorcery. Leaving a dish of milk for the Fairy Folk to protect your home could be called sorcery.

Alchemy, on the other hand, is a very specific form of magic with a very specific history. all that the history you are reading is saying is that the early alchemist in question practiced some form of sorcery prior to this specific form. Sort of like, "He was a runner before he joined the track squad."

5. ngureco profile image87
      ngurecoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When the snake cheated Eve to eat the forbidden fruit. That snake was the work of sorcery.

6. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image89
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The knowledge came through Egypt, certainly, but did not originate from there.  Look to the much older Sumerian religions for your answers.

Authors such as Andrew Collins and Lawrence Gardiner have published extensively in this field of research.

7. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The works and power of Satan.

8. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Rebellion against God brought forth self-righteousness and an open ear to the influence of Satan.The outcome is Satan-worship.

2. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Actually, it was aliens posing as humans and just using advanced technology. smile

1. profile image0

not too far off what the alchemists believe (& the christians too, if look at Genesis 6)

2. profile image58
      tajiatalposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aliens for the win! It's both the most creative and believable.

3. recommend1 profile image66
    recommend1posted 6 years ago

Sorcery started just the same way and time as religion I expect.

Alchemy however would just have been early science.

I reckon smile

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image90
    DIYweddingplannerposted 6 years ago

Sounds like A HUB TO ME!

1. profile image0

I researched & wrote a hub about alchemy

1. earnestshub profile image88
        earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I must take a peek!

My children were bought up on Asterix comics. A pretty humorous set of stories of the the Gauls and the magic potion they used against the Romans. smile
        Their sorcerer is called Getafix, very funny! lol

1. profile image0

I think magic & gods filled the gaps of what was not understood, particularly in ancient times

1. earnestshub profile image88
            earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That does seem to be the way it was, the Roman Garrisons obviously feared the Gauls and their sorcerer. smile

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image90
        DIYweddingplannerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So much to read, so little time, BaileyBear!

5. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 6 years ago

In an unqualified opinion, I would say it had its origns in the first known men and women, from evolving and atempted learning about physics, biology, the chemistry of all things surrounding them, that they could not explain. Fear, superstition, and natural curiosity all in a human mix. No real start date, as much as gradual evolvement into it. Passed along person to person possibly.

1. profile image0

I'd agree with you there

working