jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Why is it so easy to argue about?

1. TheBlondie profile image61
    TheBlondieposted 5 years ago

I don't want to start an argument (which is sort of what I'm talking about), so this isn't about your individual beliefs. I want to know why religion is basically the easiest thing to argue about, and why it is so incredibly important to everyone, and why it matters in other areas like politics and early education. Why do you think this is?

1. Quirinus profile image79
      Quirinusposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If we define a working religion as a set of belief that facilitates a person’s conduct of daily life, in both things he can understand as well as those he cannot grasp,
      and since there are as many points of view in the world as there are the number of persons inhabiting it,
      technically speaking, there would be the same number of working religions as the number of people inhabiting the earth.

The trick is to be in awe of each one’s uniqueness and in acceptance of our differences in beliefs. 

Although of course, sometimes, it would still be nice to have something to "argue" about.  For the curious like me, it could be taken positively as an adventure in learning, and feasibly taking on a more expansive point of view!

2. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 5 years ago

Because the thought of God matters to everyone. Even if they don't admit it even atheists are intrigued by the topic, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about it or even bother to call themselves atheists.

1. 0
      jomineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

May the there is another reason. May be everyone wanted to run away from the reality of the world, for sometime, at least

3. 0
    just_curiousposted 5 years ago

I think it is easy to argue because people don't listen.  They have preconceived notions, produced by too many labels with too many definitions available to associate with those labels; therefore you say one thing, they read another.  There's definitely too many emotions floating around on this site.

Plus, it appears some people do simply enjoy an argument as oposed to a civil discussion.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

For those who believe, we argue that we might turn one from the precipace that we perceive they are running towards. This is evidenced by the popularity of "Catcher In The Rye". For those who don't believe, they try to argue their point so that they can keep the believers from dragging us all towards that same  precipace. Curious. We all agree on the precipace, and now there are two catchers in the rye!

1. 0
        just_curiousposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just for clarification; what do you believe the precipice to be? I'll be honest, I've never read the book.  People as neurotic as I am have reason to fear it. smile