Evolution/Creationism: which should be taught in schools, if either?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (128 posts)
  1. TheBlondie profile image61
    TheBlondieposted 12 years ago

Religious people often think the teaching of evolution should be banned, and vice-versa for non-religious people. What id your opinion? Should evolution, creationism, or neither be taught? Why?

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As you say, evolution should be taught with other sciences, while creationism can be taught along with other religious myths.

The problem is that some religions are acknowledged as myths by everyone while others are not. In fact, some religions that contain strong beliefs in creationism rule the thinking of millions of people today. They wouldn't take to kindly to having their strong religious beliefs categorized alongside other "superstitions and myths" that everyone agrees and acknowledges.

This places the education system in an awkward position having to try and placate both sides of the argument, with no solution readily available that will satisfy both. smile

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is not something that happens on a frequent basis, but I am in complete agreement with Beelzedad on this one.  I think that both should be taught under separate categories.  Perhaps the compromise can be made to teach creationism under something like Religion/Philosophy/Mythology (rather than simply mythology), and teaching evolution under Science. 

Teaching both allows for a more well-rounded education, and allows the child to critically think his/her own way into what path he/she chooses to follow.

smile

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
          Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you a million, billion, babillion percent.

2. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say keep the apples with the apples and the oranges with the oranges.
      It's like oil and water, or Church and state,they don't mix.

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Truth should be taught. In this case both sides of the issue should be taught along with all the opposing views to both sides.

4. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Teaching one side only (irrespective of which one) is tantamount to indoctrination!

The debate over the issues of life, fossils, origins etc is (STILL) vehemently debated. For this very reason the "facts" should be presented to the students, along with the two possible explanations that exist already in society, and let the students draw their own conclusions.

And please, don't insult anyones intelligence by saying it's "all a fact" one way or the other. As long as it is debated, there is NO resolution. If there were, then the debate would cease.

By way of example, if politics were being taught, but only the "Democratic" version was presented, wouldn't that be unacceptable? Shouldn't opposing ideologies be presented?

I, for one was taught evolution in school. No creationism at all at the time, and later in life, did my own investigation, and came up with the opposite explanation as being more satisfying, (for me). I was NOT religious, at all, during my school years.

Sorry, but there are no facts for creationism that can be presented to students. All you have is a bible and a variety of other scriptures with their versions of creationism.
        smile

1. aka-dj profile image65

Again you miss my main point (not unusual).

If evolution were a PROVEN FACT, the debate would cease!

To use topgunjagers example (above), the stork fairy tale is PROVEN to be so, and treated likewise.

The same cannot be said about evolution (as a whole), least of all origins of life.

1. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

creation doesn't belong in science class

I didn't say that it did. I said ID.

Watch these videos.. > >   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMRBccbINI  (1)
              There's a little more detail, here .. > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNKhl5eDlQE&NR=1  (2)

Science itself is divided.

1. profile image0

ID doesn't belong in science class either

So, ONLY evolution does.
                  So why is there so much opposition to new discoveries that don't fit the accepted model?
                  (as described in the two videos I posted links to).

The changes desired in the school were not "religion" motivated, but outdated information no longer relevant.

1. profile image0

ID is a political movement, not science.  I wrote a hubs about the ugly politics of antievolutionists

2. Beelzedad profile image59

The only debate is from believers like yourself who have no clue about evolution. smile

2. aka-dj profile image65

PS.
          Proponents of ID don't necessarily use scripture to support anything.
          Mere observation of things produces explanation possibilities contrary to evolution.
          IE, the reality of what is, doesn't agree with an evolutionary explanation.

1. profile image0

they don't say god did it on purpose.  That's where the flying spagetti monster comes from

Please don't bury your head in the sand.
              Not every single scientist who questions the validity of evolutions claims is a religionist.

Why protect the Darwinian theory in the face of obvious contradictory results? Don't people have the right, (or the guts) to express doubts or contradictions? It would make you more hardened to your "beliefs" than us.

After all, anything worth testing ought to stand up to scrutiny. If it doesn't match the expected results, say so. Don't force it into a mould it never will fit!

In the, now famous words of Mr Mark Knowles, "Dear me"! hmm

1. profile image0

I'd been indoctrinated with creationism, been fed ID and studied evolution.  Sad thing is ,the IDists create so many lies about evolution - it's clear you don't even understand the basics.

That really answered me.
                  Typical evasive responses. Just like I have been getting for nearly three years.
                  It seems it's not just (ID proponents an religionists) that regurgitate things.

I doubt my arguments will change the world, but one thing I will say, with total convictions is, "time will tell". Time will tell all!

2. earnestshub profile image80
                earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aka even the Simpsons are ahead of you on Darwin. smile

I'm glad to hear it.
                  Not bad for two dimensional caricatures.

Oh, hold on, they're not real. There must be someone behind them!
                  Oh I know, Evolutionists!

I'm cleverer than I thought. I figured that out all by myself! smile

1. earnestshub profile image80

Lisa is the one written as the evolutionist. You remember Lisa? The smart one. smile

lol So, you have no clue what ID is saying AND what evolution is saying? lol

5. Titen-Sxull profile image70
      Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would be okay with Creation stories in the classroom being made mandatory alongside evolution IF PhD Evolutionary biologists are also required to speak about the evidence for Evolution in Church services.

All joking aside this is ridiculous, first off its a direct violation of the first amendment UNLESS you teach every single creation story (there are hundreds if not thousands).

Secondly we can't be replacing solid scientific theories based on fossils, genetics, behavioral studies, anatomy and morphology with a supernatural explanation. Shall we also teach that lightning is created by the gods?

Thirdly what evidence do Creationists bring to the table other than complaints that Evolution is wrong because it conflicts with their particular religious text? They propose that a supernatural being forming creatures using magic (an event for which they have no evidence) is more plausible than genetic variation over time (Evolution, which we have mountains of evidence for).

How about the simplest argument of all.

Slime-to-grass-to-plants-to-trees, by the millions in variation. Feasible? Yea, right!

Virus/bacteria-to-amoeba(like organism-to-invertebrate-to-vertebrate-to-everything from tiny rodents to massive mammals, ad then-to-mankind. Feasible? Yeah, right! Everything on the planet moves towards simplicity, NOT complexity.
        Oh, except in Evolution, of course!
        Then there is the "fact" that not one fossil has ever been put forth as evidence fo all the failed attempts that the E process got "wrong"! It seems that at every possible stage in the progression "she" got it perfectly right!
        Don't we see a constant disappearance of species (extinction)?
        Why isn't E creating new species all around us? Oh, "she" went on extended leave! Of course!

1. Titen-Sxull profile image70

Why isn't evolution creating new species all around us? Because every NEW species is just a NEWER form of an older species. We human beings didn't just show up as human beings, we evolved from earlier hominids. Evolution IS "creating" new species, with every generation our species deviates with the distant ancestors who migrated out from Africa. With something as slow to reproduce and as short-lived as humans we cannot observe our own species become something else in real time, however experiments done with species of fruit flies (which reproduce quicker) have confirmed speciation (the emergence of new species).

And yes, given the billions of years timescales involved in Evolution it is perfectly feasible, we have a good record of how it worked (fossil record) although it is incomplete it gives us snapshot views of how life developed throughout time. What we see is single-cells at the lowest strata and more "complex" (might be the wrong word to use) lifeforms at the higher levels.

And no everything does not move toward "simplicity". What you're doing is using a corrupted version of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, namely that all closed/isolated systems move toward entropy/chaos and away from order/complexity but that only works with CLOSED systems. Earth receives new energy from the sun facilitating complex chemical reactions that allow life to exist.

The sun does not add information to DNA!
            Besides, the sun is a part of the closed system, not outside of it.
            You answered nothing of value here.

The sun does not add new information to DNA, mutations do. The chemical reactions necessary for life to thrive are reliant upon solar energy (except for, perhaps, the lifeforms living near hydrothermal vents).

The sun itself is the source of energy that makes Earth an open system, it doesn't matter if the sun isn't receiving "new" energy of its own, it is putting out energy. It is well known that the sun will eventually run out of material to perform fusion and die out, so the sun IS a closed system heading for entropy, however this isn't likely to happen for another 3-5 billion years.

Seriously these are basic scientific facts, I'm not sure what your problem is.

"The sun does not add new information to DNA, mutations do."
                Where is there an example of this?
                Information is always lost, not gained!
                The original is always dominant.
                The mutant is always recessive! (loss).

What's my problem?
                The dishonesty with the evidence, That's all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaCuYF4Nyr0

Feel free to do some research for yourself, but there's a good starter video ^

2. profile image0

mutations are not always destructive - that's another lie from ID politics

2. profile image0

no, everything does not move towards simplicity.  A baby developing from a few cells is an example of that

"A baby developing from a few cells is an example of that"
            No it's not! Wrong kind of example.
            There is no information added. It's already preprogrammed into its DNA.

My progression was from "slime-to-" well, I won't type it all again. There's is NO EVIDENCE of how information (can) be added. It's all hypothesis. Mere conjecture, to try and support a weak argument.

What's your answer for the loss of species?
            What's your response to "failed mutations" being absent?

How DID Mother Evolution manage to get virtually 1005 accuracy in transitioning from one to another, without loss? (Try and deal 4 aces every hand, and see how you go!)

Species go extinct, it happens. If you seriously think that nothing has ever gone extinct before now than you are hopelessly uninformed. Here's a tip: Go do some research for yourself instead of demanding that people explain things to you and then dismissing their responses with arguments from incredulity.

Go back and read my previous posts, before you jump in.
                Your answer does not reflect on what I actually said!

You posted:

"How DID Mother Evolution manage to get virtually 1005 accuracy in transitioning from one to another, without loss?"

From that I inferred that you mean that Evolution never failed (ie nothing ever went extinct). That might not be what you meant but regardless Evolution has hit a great many dead-ends, 99% of species that ever lived are now extinct. Obviously whatever managed to survive would pass on its genes, each time you pass on genes the next generation is a bit different, these variations accumulate over massive amounts of time until you get a new species.

As for the reason WHY species are going extinct now humans and our appetite for natural resources have a lot to do with it. In no way, however, are extinction events somehow new, they are quite common in Earth's history. There are both "explosions" of bio-diversity and reductions of it in the fossil record.

2. profile image0

there's massive loss in evolution - most species go extinct. 
              As for pre-programmed in DNA - you obviously don't realise that rice and the amoeba have a much bigger genome than humans, yet they are 'less complex'

6. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Man is evolved in millions of years; so it is good that the children learn this and praise the Creator-God.

Adam was a sign of the era when the Creator-God sent his Word for guidance of the humans; let the children learn it also.

7. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In what class?

In science class, evolution.

In philosophy class, or comparative religion, creationism can and probably should be examined.

1. profile image51

I think it is a good suggestion.

8. smcopywrite profile image60
      smcopywriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

this was not an issue 20 years ago and things worked out okay then. i believe that evolution was taught. if you want to teach your children religion, i honestly believe it should be taught at home.
      the reason i believe it should be taught at home is because i would like to be the one to teach my children and explain it in my own words.
      if you want to teach your children any religious matters, let it be done in the home.

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 12 years ago

If you are speaking of American schools we should stick with evolution in public schools. Creationism is church doctrine. Separation of church and state applies.

Private schools should be free to make their own decisions as to what to teach on the subject.

TheBlondieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Religion should be left for your own house or for religiously-inclined private schools. Evolution has literally been proven, and should be taught as it is a prominent part of science and biology- not because the teachers are trying to get their students to believe it. Non religious students should have the right to learn WHY they aren't religious.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60

I disagree strongly. Very very strongly. Evolutionary theory is fact. Creationism is not.

Only facts should be taught in schools.

TheBlondieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's actually what we are saying... evolution is fact, and therefore should be taught in appropriate classes, like biology. Religon is not technically fact, and it should be left to the individual families to decide their opinion on it.

I think it should be up to the child since religious parents often (not always) force their religion upon their child and refuse to let teachers teach them anything that they deem to be anti-religion.

I went to a catholic school. I remember my science teacher asking me if I wanted to learn about evolution (she was not catholic, she must've lied on her cv to get the job) and I said yes. She looked a little disappointed that I wanted to learn about it, she wanted to teach it, but she wasn't allowed to.

I should've had that choice not anyone else.

2. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry. If someone pays good money to send their kid to a private school and they want a course in sponge bob economics taught, it's between them and the private school. Would I pay to have my kid's head filled with foolishness? Nope. But it's a free country.

See my previous post. Its about what the kid wants. Not the parent.

1. profile image0

I stand by my point. Since when did kids support themselves? You want to learn whatever you want at 12?  Pay for your own education.

Good luck finding a parent who says ok to what a kid decides are the courses they'll take. Or get them to pay for Motessouri and then you both win.

Noone chooses courses at school. Courses are for college or uni. School is government funded and private schools should not teach what the parent wants. What if the parent wants them to spend 6 years studying Sooty and sweep? You think thats ok because the parent pays for it?

Think about the child. I knew what I wanted to learn at that age and so do most kids.

1. profile image0

I'm not saying some kids don't have odd parents, or that I wouldn't make different decisions from other people. But it's a slippery slope when you start thinking some people know better than others what is best for themselves or their own family.

And I don't know where you live, but elective courses start pretty young here and there are at least two different programs for the kids, so their mandatory courses are not the same for all programs in the public schools.

As to private schools; if they receive no government funds there are no standard of learning tests. They can teach whatever the heck they choose. Which does not mean they will graduate anyone with a high school diploma if it isn't an accredited school. But, again, if that is what a person chooses for their child I couldn't stop them even if I wanted to. It is their right under the law.

And that is what I disagree with. They should not have that right.

1. profile image0

Start a country. Declare yourself king. Or a god..your choice. But as long as this is a free country what you think is right on this issue is within your right, for you alone. And that's a fact.

2. tritrain profile image71
            tritrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kids don't have the right to choose, unless their parent grants it.

I am aware of that. I disagree with it.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Evolution is an established fact.

Creationism is nothing more than an ideology completely unproven.

Should these things be taught to children in schools? Evolution only, regardless whether or not, private or public schools.

Creationism was only created to keep the god concept from disappearing.

1. profile image53
      SEEKER OF TRUTH57posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mr.Cagsil, Darwin stated that the cell,which at his time was the smallest object observable, and maybe at five to eight hundred magnignification was quite simple. Yet we know today with modern research,that the cell is not simple, but composed of dna that  contains at least 238 amino acids that are essential for replication of itself. We have also established the FACT that these amino acids must line up in perfect sequence instantly,not over billions of years in order to initiate the sequence. This only refers to a miniscule cell in any organism.You`re in my playground now friend.Read up .

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your playground? lol lol What a joke.

1. profile image53

I`ve spent 40 years in R&D. Prove your case if you can get your foot out of your mouth. Come on man, give me something substantial, prove your case. All you ever do is rant. Facts man Facts.

I don't need to prove SH!T considering it's already known to the rest of the world. Just because YOU refuse to admit it, isn't my fault or my problem.

You need to grow up. Which is more than obvious.

1. profile image53

You, my friend are already dis-credited by your own silence.Glad to shut you down. Big talk,no do.

Not too bright. Silence isn't the absence of anything.

Evolution has been proven for quite a while. Again, YOU don't want to admit, then you choose to do so.

1. profile image53

Pathetic Cags,Go watch the ball game.Frivilous imput. What a waste. Always talking as THE BIG EXPERT  on all things and now you have nothing to say.Shame on you.

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

both i think as theory . we need to   address this topic  not ignore it or leave it up to one sided idealism.  The division and   intolerance we see today is a direct result  of  doing nothing and letting  parents and churches   wash young minds

5. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

conflict is counter productive

6. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

this is exactly why it should be addressed in class
    civil ,moderated ,  grounded . otherwise its just a fight
    which leads to war we have that already

1. profile image53

I stated what I know and only a small ,insignificant portion.This has been my lifes research.Mr.Cagsil threw the first punch.

1. profile image53

And I am not here to be pro- creation. I am here to refute evolution with facts.
           These facts are modern, not antiquated,and up to date.

7. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

hi nice to meet you  please don't take wrong, just a third party looking for constructive dialog  in a civil manner on a important subject . god if there is such a thing , i hope would not want to be fought over  . in my state when two party's fight and the cops come ,  both  combatants go to jail   despite who    punched first.

1. profile image53

Thank you Aware , you are correct and most gracious.Forgive my incivility.

8. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 12 years ago

I don't have a problem with public schools teaching that there are various viewpoints.  I think it is healthy. 

If someone wants their kids to be taught church doctrine then that someone can send their kids to a private, church-affiliated school.

1. profile image53

Tritrain, the problem is with allowing someone to believe something that has been proven to be false. Many years ago,we did not have the research facilities and modern methods we do now. Research has changed and so has positive,proof evidences.Raising our children to believe in the Easter bunny and Santa Claus is different,and we always make them understand at certain ages that those hopes and aspirations were myths.But to willfully teach our children a lie is inconcievable.

1. tritrain profile image71
        tritrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I suppose alternative beliefs could/should be taught by the parents.

However, I still feel that it is ok to teach that a fairly large portion of the world believes in things other than evolution.  Out of respect for those people, it should be shown to the students, as another belief.

Just as I would not want my children to only one point of view, I think that creationism could at least have a day or week dedicated to it.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
          Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, we need to allow our children to learn the facts (all the facts)and decide for themselves what they believe.

1. profile image53

Mr,Roberts, you may  impress them with fallacices in their youth, but do not TEACH them lies.

But, if you teach children facts, they have no reason to decide what to believe. smile

3. profile image53

But Tritrain,evolution has been proven to be false. Do you think that your family 1200 generations back were apes? Where are your distant relatives that haven`t evolved? Have they written you lately? Sometimes I act like a jackass but none of my past generations ,at least back to 1680 C.E. were indentified as apes.

1. wilderness profile image94
              wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Do you think that your family 1200 generations back were apes?"

I have long said that the only people that I have ever heard make such a statement are theists desperate to "prove" their "case" against the known facts of evolution.  It is always used in a derisive manner, to ridicule the concept of evolution and convince the listener that it must be a silly and abhorrent idea, not to be tolerated by right thinking folk.

Unfortunately, it has no basis in fact at all.  Neither the known facts nor the theories of evolution ever presented the idea that homo sapiens descended from apes; rather that the great apes (gorilla, chimpanzees, homo sapiens, etc.) were descended from a common ancestor.  Note that although we are biologically classified as a "great ape" (the taxonomic family of hominidae) we are not an ape in common language; that is reserved for gorillas and other members of the great ape classification.

"none of my past generations ,at least back to 1680 C.E".  I don't imagine so; the most recent known common ancestor died out around 14 million years ago.  Once more your attempt at ridicule backfires and only shows an almost complete lack of knowledge of the general subject.

For someone talking from your own backyard, you are remarkably ignorant of it's geography.

2. dingdondingdon profile image61
              dingdondingdonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nobody thinks we descended from apes except people who don't understand evolution. We descended from a common ancestor. This is fairly obvious just from looking at chimpanzees.

2. topgunjager profile image60
      topgunjagerposted 12 years ago

If were going to teach creation in classrooms, we might as well teach the stork theory about conceiving babies.

3. Jonathan Janco profile image59
      Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Yes, obviously we were 'created'. By what and how remain a mystery however, so we really can't teach creationism since as a species we are so deliberately and collectively ignorant on the subject. The ancient Hebrews may have made a good guess despite the human error factor where they ignorantly leave  rape and child abuse out of the 10 commandments, but it's all just theory . . . not proveable and quite frankly not very relevant to today's world where the more we learn the more these ancient beliefs appear so appallingly primitive. Evolution, on the other hand, is a good tool for science class to explain how we became the dominant species that we are, but it does not explain the origins of the creation of life. I find the Big Bang to be absolute rubbish; just as much as I find the theory that God needed to impregnate a Palestinian teenager in order to express love to his followers to be absolute rubbish.

It would appear that you have little to no understanding of evolution based on your words here, hence you probably have little to no understanding of the Big Bang, too. smile

4. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Every culture throughout history has some sort of creation story. And that's what it is, a story.

5. profile image0
      Kiriuposted 12 years ago

And the morden story is the story of evolution

First and foremost, in science theories, there is no truth. Then get to differentiate;
      a) a fact and
      b) a theory
      evolution theory is still just that; a theory. By definition; a theory is based on ideas not facts. Since when do a scientific theory become a proven fact? Do you mean that no future evidence can falsify evolution? Since evidences are always subject to interpratations, those who say evolution theory is a proven fact have converted evolution into just another dogmatic religeon!

6. dingdondingdon profile image61
      dingdondingdonposted 12 years ago

Teach evolution as part of Biology classes. Teach creationism as part of Religious Studies classes, along with other creation myths. Problem solved.

7. profile image0
      Kiriuposted 12 years ago

Why don't we teach both of them as creation myths?

1. dingdondingdon profile image61

Because the term "creation myths" is used to apply to religious explanations for the creation of the universe. The theory of evolution is not connected to religion.

2. profile image51

There is no harm in teaching the reality.

8. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years ago

What a ridiculous thread!   Creationism is a cobbled together fabric of bu!!sh!t with no scientific credence or credible support - trying to argue it up to the status of a sound scientific theory well supported with evidence is symptomatic of a dying culture.

9. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Atheists did not cause evolution to start

1. dingdondingdon profile image61

Nobody caused evolution to start. It's not as if there's a big button you can press. Do you understand how evolution works?

1. profile image51

man got evolved; that is OK with me

What a ridiculous thing to say. Have you stooped so low in your propagandist arsenal as to come up with an attack on atheists that is so weak and lame as to be utterly silly? lol

10. profile image51

Shows inner of the atheists; I don't mind; it exposes them

11. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years ago

In Australia we used to have "Religious Instruction" which was voluntary in our government run schools. May kids saw it as an hour off. smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Teach them how to write their own name PLEASE! Is that too much to ask?!

?? Was that comment meant for me Klara?

1. profile image0

No. It was meant for the many children that get to 12th grade and can't even speak. Sorry Earnest... I didn't mean it as a reply.

How are you by the way?

Hi Klara! (I know I'm 12 hours late!) I am exceptionally happy and well at this time, and excited to be spending the day playing mini-golf with the kids later in the day. smile

1. profile image0

Good to hear that! no worries about time delay... it's totally cool. smile

Hey Klara! We are both awake at the same time. smile

1. profile image0

I'm outta here! Heading out to work out a bit. smile It's a gorgeous day! Hope you are enjoying good weather too!

Good yes, raining lightly at 8.30am. Enjoy! smile

12. profile image51

Children should be told that man got evolved by the commandment of the Creator-God in million of years. Advent of Adam and Eve denoted the epoch making event when man attained the stage of Direct Converse with the Creator-God.

Of course it was the Creator-God who taught man to speak and write.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget to throw in the plush garden and talking snake.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
          Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

and don't forget the spittin' contest. I like the spittin' contest!

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There was no talking snake. It's a metaphor, the yetzer hara, the evil inclination within. Eve was having an inner conversation along the lines of "Should I...? shouldn't I...? should I....? Oh what the heck, what harm can it do?"

Think about it rationally. If you saw a talking snake you would soil your trousers. smile

2. profile image51
    13. Jaydeus profile image60
      Jaydeusposted 12 years ago

School sciences are for learning FACTS based on empirical hard evidence that is tangible and testable.  No religion can offer up any proof of other than thousand-year old pieces of papyrus and tablets, most only half intelligible. 
      Religion should be examined only in a philosophical standpoint regarding past issues on world wars and genocides and the impacts said religions have made against the advancement of our species, and again only in psychology departments as examples of delusions and psychosis.
      Nothing hinders our world more than holding on to the past.
      Once we do away with childish things, we can all be adults in our journey into the future.

Very well put. Religion has proved to be very useful to psychology, although without religion we would not have needed as many psychiatrists and psychologists as we would have moved a helluva lot faster in brain knowledge without the religious fear response to the lizard brain.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

What you perhpas convieniently forget ernest that religious faith has formed the basis of our laws and legal systems that hold society together. Without religion, all would be chaos I'll wager.

Religion is not the basis that morals were drawn from. smile Religious "faith" has to do with a misunderstanding of the fear of death response from the lizard brain, nothing to do with morals now or then.

People do good and bad things, we know a lot about how that works, and have for the last 50 years or more.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Even though we may have a better understanding of people doing good and bad things, where are you going to base your definition of what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour in society?

For all its fault, religion has given us the basis of our legal systems that keep society in cohesion.

I have always used logic myself. Certain behaviors bring about good things, others cause bad things. smile
                I do not need religion to know the difference and nor do my children.

1. profile image0

I'm afraid I disagree with you, on some levels. There are those who have shown a strong need for a belief in judgement from another plane.

Read some of the posts from fundamentalists. The things they say we would be doing without the fear of retribution shows the things they themselves are capable of doing. You, or I, would never consider such behavior, but they apparently would. I've always said wild people need religion. Liberal religious thinkers know this and this is why they believe religion is necessary for some.

2. profile image51

Perhaps the atheists don't want cohesion in the society; they want to create disorder, I think.

1. profile image0

I would disagree. I think maybe the atheists have enough respect for the ability of a human to make intelligent choices without thinking the only way to do it is by 'divine' guidance.

They should probably be labeled forward thinkers. Maybe they are just ahead of their time. Utopian dreamers of a moment in history when society will evolve to the point where it will be able to find some peace. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)