Did Christianity Eat the Baby?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 12 years ago

I’ve seen Christianity blamed for everything on this forum from current events, to ships that sunk over 100 years before Jesus was even born.  What is up with this?

Does anyone really believe that every evil that has ever happened, up until now, can be laid at the feet of one religion?

Or is there an unstated reason for this continuing argument that I am not getting?

Because, quite frankly; this refusal to consider other factors for low points in our collective history appears somewhat childish and shows a complete lack of the desire to use reason.

I have no use for religion.  I do see it as a continuing roadblock in the world’s ability to find peace; yet if the argument that all the evils in the world are due to Christianity is one in support of moving away from religion; it is a shallow argument, at best. It’s been done to death.  It needs to be put to rest as much as religion.

If it is an argument in support of atheism, then I would suggest if one wanted to be called one of the ‘brights’ one would need to post a brighter argument.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not really, other religions have also played a major part in mankinds downfall and the problems of the world these past many centuries. smile

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I realize that. We all do. That's the point. It's like saying existence exists. Of course it does, but that's simplistic. To stop at that is pointless. It isn't really an answer.

2. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Name the other religions and state how they have contributed. Name all of the humanitarian outreach programs of ANY kind that are based on an atheistic philosophy. Godlessness has led to just as much bloodshed, and who says mankind has fallen? Aren't you burying the body before it is fully dead?

The exploitations of Judaism and Islam have contributed to the mass murders and genocides committed as a result of those beliefs.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Humanitarian programs are for humanitarian reasons, not reasons for belief or disbelief in gods.

However, if such a humanitarian program were initiated to foster belief or disbelief in gods, then there is ulterior motives at work that are beyond humanitarian.

Are you saying we should wait for the body to be fully dead? smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61

So...the Holocaust was the fault of the Jews? And the Crusades was all Islam's fault. I get it. You're a revisionist, painting everything to your own liking. Boy, are you screwy.

I just love it when people put words in my mouth and then call me screwy. Are we having fun yet? smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61

Well, it's either that, or you are saying it is all christians. Screwy

2. kephrira profile image61
              kephriraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually the crusades where Islams fault. Islam was rapidly spreading through military conquest and was threatening Europe. There were no armies in Europe capable of stopping the Muslim armies and no rulers with enough money to raise one. The only way to stop them was therefore to get ordinary people to fight for free. The pope, wanting to save Christendom, did this by offering spiritual payment to anyone who joined the crusades - the forgiveness of absolutely any sin ever commited no matter how bad, and no matter whether you were sorry. Join the crusades and you go to heaven - that was the only thing that stopped the Islamic armies from sweeping across the whole of Europe.

2. profile image52
            paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The atheistic communits in Russia killed 100 million people if not more.

Islam is a peaceful religion, it spread peacefully and promotes peace.

1. profile image0

Paar, I was attempting to open a dialogue about facts. Please find a fiction thread for this nonsense. Thanks. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image58

The Islamic propagandist will blurt out anything and fabricate any lie to promote Islam. There is no level of treachery they will not stoop.  smile

3. profile image52

Tiny atheistic minority has also its share in it; they play innocent though

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now atheism is a tiny minority?
          When did you decide to change from your view that they are a majority?
          lol lol lol

And when are you EVER going to address any of the dozens of lies you have been caught out on?

270 million murders in the name of Islam ............... and counting.

1. profile image52

I think it is you who told it; didn't you? and I accepted it.

1. earnestshub profile image80
              earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, it was not me. I have never claimed that non belief was anything but a small minority. The stats are out there and have been for years,

2. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 12 years ago

Christianity is certainly not responsible for every evil. However, people have used it to excuse so many. Wars, mass murders, the oppression of women (which still continues), the oppression of LGBT people (which still continues), the oppression of other religions (which still continues), the oppression of the non-religious (which still continues - did you know that in some states, like Arkansas and South Carolina and Texas, an atheist cannot run for public office?)

I don't think it is unfair to point these things out. Christianity is happy to take responsibility for the many good things it has done; it also needs to take responsibility for the bad.

1. profile image0

Agreed. But that's not the point I was trying to make. You can't blame everything on them. By doing this, it appears short sighted, one sided, and doing little more than finger pointing.

It leads to arguments, not discussions. You can't get someone to be reasonable if you, yourself, appear to lack the ability to reason. Repeated use of this argument for every ill perceived smacks more of prejudice than logic.

It just seems to me if anyone had an agenda other than badgering, they would lay this argument to rest in cases where it is  cannot be proven and is merely the product of  speculation.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is very simple - christianity suppressed knowledge and advance of humanity for 1000 to 1500 years.  This is not any preconception it is a well known historical fact.

What is hard about that ?

1. profile image0

I realize you probably see this as an extension of the conversation we were having, but it's quite a bit more than that. 

I wouldn't find it hard to think Christianity was responsible for all the ills; except for the fact that I believe war and history have a lot to do with politics, economics, how various cultures got along prior to the introduciton of christianity, climate changes that effected food production, the effect of plague on population sizes and the strength of nations to protect their borders and a host of other factors.

And I'm not an historian. I'm bright enough to know that there is probably plenty more than that.

In order to assume Chrisitianity had supernatural powers to ensure it was the primary factor that controlled everything listed, I would have to believe in their God.  Which I don't, so it's a bit of a mystery.

And, I take into account the individual.  The masses chose, in most instances, to follow.  They chose to see the torture and burnings as entertainment.  They chose to allow the crusades to happen.  They chose to participate.  Was that religion?  Or some other thing within the human psyche.  That's important to me to understand.

If we get rid of religion will we rid ourselves of this need for violence?  If we kill God off, will this world be that much closer to being utopian?  I don't see it.

Christianity was allowed to do what it did, because that is the nature of man.  Organized religion is simply the unbridled lust for power. And I'm surprised an atheist can't see that.  If there is no god, who does the atheist. blame? An atheist rails against religion; completely ignoring the fact that it would serve more purpose to look in the mirror and wonder how history happened and how to change the world so that it won't happen again.

2. profile image52
  3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Key words that were picked out of the posts thus far.

WARS, MASS MURDERS, OPRESSION, SUPRESSION, EXPLOITATION.

Does anyone realy believe these things could ever just go away.

Picture these words and everything that they stand for as being a pieve of heavy equiptment such as a Bull Dozer.

Some Folks in these here forums say that religion is driving this Bull Dozer.

If we were to shoot the driver. Some one or something else is still going to get back in the drivers seat and continue on continueing on.

I'm not saying religion is driving the Dozer! 
    Just saying.  These things ... WARS, MASS MURDERS, OPRESSION, SUPRESSION, EXPLOITATION.  will continue to be as long as Mankind continues to be.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

To get back to the OP's question, I believe Christians are not responsible for all the worlds ills, and some of them simply believe in the "good works" which I for one am thankful for as I see local churches that do a heap of good.

The belief if held as "truth" is certainly responsible for it's share of wars and the megalomania of "I am saved and your not" does nothing to support the world view.

People are people, we are all both good and bad within ourselves.

Denying our faults or passing the responsibility for them on to (insert pet god here) changes nothing in our lives.

5. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

The blame game started by atheists hurts them:

In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong produced the kind of mass slaughter that no Inquisitor could possibly match. Collectively these atheist tyrants murdered more than 100 million people.

http://olddogg.com/religion/atheism-not … history-1/

More killings could be added to the figure of 100 million; just some clicks away on google.

Islam is a peaceful religion, promotes peace; and allows everybody to co-exist peacefully.

And, with just a few more clicks away on google, we can find ample information showing that Islam is not a peaceful religion, nor does it promote peace or allows people to co-exist peacefully.

Your posts here alone are worth gold in that observation. smile

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paar does make a very good point on the numbers of people atheism has killed. The Church has killed in the hundreds of thousands throughout the Dark Ages and medieval periods, but not the millions of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung, and various despotic rulers in Latin America and Africa.

However, Islam is only a peaceful and tolerant religion if one submits to it. One only has to look at the religious nut jobs of Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan to see their brand of tolerant Islam in action. True fundamentalist American evangelistic Neo Conservative Christianity is not tolerant of other beliefs, but atheists and Moslems are not likely to be stoned, beheaded, or tourtured by the Church these days are they? Perhaps one day Islam will grow up.

2. kephrira profile image61
      kephriraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Personally I would class both facism and communism as pseudo-religions. Any kind of absolutist ideaology is dangerous.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)