jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

Did fear play a positive role in evolution?

1. profile image68
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago

There is no fear or courage in the inanimate; why through evolution did fear generate in the animals and in a more sophisticated manner it generates in the humans?
    Does its generation indicate a higher level of consciousness?

The higher the life; the higher is the fear.

1. jponiato profile image82
      jponiatoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Quite the contrary.  At higher levels of consciousness, we are capable of mastering our fear.  This is a skill apparently lacking in lower life forms, which seem to respond instinctively to fight-or-flight stimuli.

What in the world do inanimate objects have to do with fear, consciousness, or evolution?

1. profile image68
        paarsurreyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

But the fear does generate in the animals and humans. Why? Please

Because they are members of the animal kingdom.  I don't disagree that without life there can be no fear.  It is your statement that "The higher the life; the higher is the fear" that I reject.  If there is a correlation between levels of consciousness and levels of fear, it is an inverse relationship, not a direct one, as you postulate.  Case in point: what is more afraid of a small dog - you or a bunny?  Unless you say it is you, then you prove my point.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
            dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

excelent answer, agree

2. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Fear makes animals move away from things that might harm them. It is a core part of evolution.

Rather than keep asking gormless questions here, perhaps you should just Google them.

1. profile image68

A point to note

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

The more you post, the more you show yourself for what and who you are really. I won't go into it any further, so don't lay down your typical response "please elaborate". I won't waste my time.

1. profile image68

Thanks

3. knolyourself profile image62
    knolyourselfposted 6 years ago

"This is a skill apparently lacking in lower life forms, which seem to respond instinctively to fight-or-flight stimuli."
    So is a dog a lower life form. They can get over certain fears quite easily.

Give me an example of how this might happen.

4. knolyourself profile image62

"GORMLESS"
    I looked it up on Google. Never heard of it before. Thank you.

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Gormless:
      (informal) lacking intelligence and vitality

5. knolyourself profile image62

"They can get over certain fears quite easily." Something new and strange in the yard. Ever see it. They slowly sneak up to it. Maybe jumping back now and then. Until they determine it is nothing but a bunched piece of canvas. No more fear.

6. Jefacity profile image60
    Jefacityposted 6 years ago

In some ways fear is good because it protects an organism from potential harms. So, yes, in some way there is an evolutionary predisposition for self preservation. However, the role in mans current evolution is the discarding of fear. To quote my man Lupe " fear is such a weak emotion, that's why i despite it".

1. profile image68

A point to note

7. knolyourself profile image62

"However, the role in mans current evolution is the discarding of fear."
    You are not going to make much of a Hollywood producer.

8. profile image68
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago

psycheskinner wrote:

Fear makes animals move away from things that might harm them. It is a core part of evolution.

Paarsurrey says:

Fear and love played an important role in the Evolution; abstaining away from things that harm one's life and liking things that benefit one's life.

working