jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

he who has a why to live can bear almost any how. what is your why?

1. cathylynn99 profile image78
    cathylynn99posted 5 years ago

the first part of the above is my favorite nietzche saying. the second is my question to everyone on hubpages. why do you go on living? in this indifferent (though rich and awe-inspiring) universe, we each get to pick our own why.

for to me it's to be happy and to help other lives be happy, too. hence i'm a social worker with a spoiled cat.

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 5 years ago

Because I am:

2. Disappearinghead profile image87
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

Because living is all I know and I don't want to die.

3. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago

Becuase I truly enjoy living, and what I have is what I need.

Do not worry about what you want, is not what you need, it is just wants. Some achievable,and some not, so why worry about it. Just live, put zen in life and enjoy.

The how can be the fun part if you let it be so....learn to be still and do not get in your own way!

4. wheelinallover profile image81
      wheelinalloverposted 5 years ago

This is something I can really sink my teeth into.
      To know life and want to live it a person really should have a near death experience. My near death experience happened eight years ago. 

Every morning (at least it's morning somewhere) I wake up thankful for another day.

Living in a wheelchair and having lived through nine years without the memory of who I had been have very little bearing on my life.

Every day for me brings new challenges and rewards. Most come in the form of the three children who share my home.

I work full time quite often sixteen to twenty hours a day which doesn't leave me much time to think about anything. My office is in the house. This is my choice, like most people I want the children to have things better than I did. Part of what I consider work though is time with them. Rolling away from the computer when one of them wants personal time is something I do every day. This choice is the main reason my days end just before sunup.
      There are hard times though like Mothers day, my son's birthday, my birthday, and Thanksgiving. I have made it a point to live in honor of the ones who have passed before.

5. cathylynn99 profile image78
      cathylynn99posted 5 years ago

come on folks. this is hubpages. doesn't anyone live to write?

6. thebrucebeat profile image60
      thebrucebeatposted 5 years ago

I have periodically considered not living, so this is a very valid question for me.
      I live because I don't know, and I long to.

1. cathylynn99 profile image78
        cathylynn99posted 5 years ago in reply to this

curiosity is part of my raison d' etre, too.

7. SandyMcCollum profile image84
      SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

I'm here to learn. I don't always like what I learn, but I learn it. I can't wait until I've learned it well so I can go Home and rest.

8. GeneralSkeptic profile image60
      GeneralSkepticposted 5 years ago

Interesting question, since existence can seem monotonous and pointless at times. I'd say just knowing that there will at least be some things that make me happy in the future.  Also, there will always be people who I love and care about and want to spend my time around.