jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

People of other faiths who were nice to me

1. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I'll start:

Although I am atheist I went to a study program at a local church that allowed me to graduate with good grades even though my school was terrible. They did it just to help people, which was nice.

2. livelonger profile image90
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

Very nice thread. I have countless examples of wonderful people from all religions (and no religion), which is why I instinctively resist generalizations putting any one group into a bucket. I actually have to struggle to think of counterexamples.

Here's mine, though:

In the struggle for marriage equality, I have met Mormons, Evangelicals, Catholics, and Muslims -- religions that have traditionally not been very gay-friendly -- who were adamantly for the right of all people to get married to the person they love. Some recognized that their religion was against it, but still felt a higher obligation to defend equality and recognize love.

3. ahostagesituation profile image78
    ahostagesituationposted 5 years ago

Any religion is comprised of people, and many people (not all)  are decent regardless of what they believe.

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good observation. smile

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I once stayed at a graduate college where one of the residents was a visiting scholar and Anglican priest.  He could talk about religion and ethics for hours and hours and never once made anyone feel belittled or disparaged.  Respect for others was just something that imbued everything he said.

5. 0
    just_curiousposted 5 years ago

There's a Sikh in our town who is about the nicest guy you could ever meet. His prices are off the charts in his store, but he's very friendly.

And I had a muslin guy bring me a piece of origami art he had made in a restaurant once. I never figured out why, but it seemed like a nice gesture, if not a little odd.