jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Death Comes For All

1. 61
    SEEKER OF TRUTH57posted 5 years ago

If you don`t believe in eternal existance of reward or punishment,then why does everyone try to prolong life? Why would a nonbeliever fear death?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you do believe in eternal existence of reward or punishment, then why does everyone try to prolong life?  Why would a believer fear death?  I would assume they would welcome going to their father in the sky.

Without any evidence at all of heaven or hell, I can only assume it does not exist.  Without the fear of hell there is no fear of death, and while I do not welcome death I have no fear of it, either.

2. 0
      Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are joking. Right? If this is all there is, and there's nothing more; wouldn't it make sense to avoid the end of consciousness when possible?

I assume you are a believer. If you believe you have some eternal reward waiting, why are you still here? By your logic believers should be rushing toward death.

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I choose not to cling to life as a human, for I know with a certainty that my spiritual after-life is something to look forward to as a spiritual child of God.

2. GeneralSkeptic profile image61
    GeneralSkepticposted 5 years ago

I am a nonbeliever and trying to prolong life and fearing death may be more disconnected than anyone would like to think.

Of course I don't believe death to be an unfortunate state, since I view it as the end of our existence period.  Many nonbelievers don't see death itself as something to be feared or denied. 

Attempts to prolong life seem to come from the positive aspects of existence rather than a fear of nonexistence.  Nagel probably would have conceded that death is not a bad state so-to-speak, but he claimed it harms us in the sense that it deprives us of any positive things we could gain from more life.

Existence is a wonderful mystery and I believe this life is all we have.  Nevertheless, dying isn't something to be anxious about since none of us will be around to fret about it.

3. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Death comes for all. Yes it does.

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yep, death and taxes.  Does one pay taxes in the afterlife?

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Only in Hell.  If you're in heaven you get a refund each  year.