Is it a sin to support people like the Rev. Harold Camping?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Is it a sin to support "false" prophets, new age prophets, believe in prophecy or practice fortune telling and/or astronomy? 

Is it wrong to donate money to missionaries such as the Rev. Harold Camping's missionary, in order to lend support to their ideals of the Rapture/Doomsday predications?  If so, why do people choose to do it then?  Something else that has been thrown around in some biblical circles is; should preachers such as Harold Camping be considered evil, and thus a demon of Lucifer's?

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The last christian I spoke to on this site about Harold Camping likened donating to him to buying stock. So, I guess  some Christians don't see it as a sin. It's playing the heavenly market. If they keep investing maybe one day they'll back a winner.

IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well that is one way at looking at it.  I like their positive approach towards the issues.

2. Apostle Jack profile image61
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people have blind love.They get stuck between a rock and a hard place and don't which way to go.

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is more like the blind leader of the blind.  They all end up in the ditch.  Following after a false prophet is a sin but it is more like idol worship.

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who is to say who is a false prophet? Even the main religions don't agree on that from one religion to the other.

That is exactly what Christians have been practicing for centuries.

smile

I agree with you.  But there is still a debate here.  Not everyone sees it as cut and dry as we do.  So I'm interested in that point of view.

2. profile image0

Did his prophecy come true?   If not, then he is a false prophet.  Makes no difference what other religions believe or support.

Christians do give to missoinaries, as they also give to charities.  They do not promote false prophets.

5. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is it a sin to support "false" prophets,
      Not a sin persay but why would anybody?

new age prophets,
      There are no new age prophets, prophecy was done away with and was strictly a OT usage. Check what the prophets said compared to what they say now, completely different. Sometimes people confuse the 'word of exhortation' and 'word of wisdom or knowledge' with prophecy and it isn't.

practice fortune telling
      Most of this is a sham, scam or baloney. It is a lie and therefore God dislikes it. God holds future events in his hand and it is not for us to know other than what the book of revelation tells us.

and/or astronomy?
      AstroNOMY is fine.. watch the planets all you like, they are pretty. AstroLOGY is not a good thing. The planets and stars are NOT there to control our lives. God says do not do this thing.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Many do follow false ideologies, yet they have no idea they do. From my perspective, you follow a false ideology. So, why do you?

Kind of like the "completely different" messages revealed in the NT compared with the OT?

That would be your personal opinion and a claim made only if one had personal knowledge of what gods think.

But, I do find it interesting that you would embrace one form of magic but not another.

Where does it say anything in the bible about astrology? And again, you make claims that would require personal knowledge of what gods think. smile

1. profile image0

in my opinion you follow a false doctrine.

There are not two completely different messages. You simply don't have enough understanding to know.

"That would be your personal opinion and a claim made only if one had personal knowledge of what gods think"       WHAT!!?? drinking?

"one form of magic and not another"... good grief.. sound of the buzzer! Lets look at egypt and all their gods.. gods of the nile, god of the sun, god of life and death, god of crops to name a few.. God turned the nile to blood, blocked out the sun for 3 days, killed the first borns and caused locusts to eat the crops. There is only one source of power and that is of God.
          As you have written concerning 'cold readings', it is false. Astrology, predicting how ones day will be based on the month you were born, is false.
          In short, the reason i believe in the magic of God is because it is the true magic.

Yes i know what God thinks. Other Christians know what God thinks. This is not a great thing nor hard to accomplish for US, for you, it is entirely impossible.

Daniel 4:7   Then came in the magicians, the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers: and I told the dream before them; but they did not make known unto me the interpretation thereof.

Deuteronomy 4:15-19   And lest (warning word) thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, should you be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

there's more

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67

Why would anybody?  Again why do people drink and drive?  Who knows...  Point is they DO!  There are lots of new age prophets in our midst.  Joseph Smith claim to fame is that he was a prophet if God's.  Need I list more prophets that I would consider new age.  My next door neighbor husband claims to be a prophet of God's.  And is cooky wife thinks so too....

1. profile image0

Because they do not know any better. It all comes down to relationship with God and knowing His Word.

6. Merlin Fraser profile image61
      Merlin Fraserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not a sin at all just plain stupid !

How many guesses does he get before the faithful wake up and go DUH!

If I may speak plainly, Anybody that follows that idiot has to several fries short of a Happy Meal.

And anyone who gives him money should be locked up for their own protection.

Its stupid to drink and drive....  But it still happens.  So I am not sure what your response is about. 

Stupid is as stupid does... -Forrest Gump's mother

1. Merlin Fraser profile image61
          Merlin Fraserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The cure for ignorance is education, as far as I am aware there is no cure for stupidity !

Grandma Fraser used to say; "It's takes all sorts to make a World !"

However, Grandpa Fraser pointed out that actually it didn't,  we just happen to have all sorts !

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

How about a bulb or two short.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that the truth. 

I don't think God should consider it sinning; He made them too stupid to understand their own actions and thus should take the consequences Himself.

3. IntimatEvolution profile image67

So you think that people like Harold Camping are God's doing, & thus this man is not responsible for his actions and loose words?  Do you think god is responsible for your words and actions?

No, no, no.  Camping is quite responsible for his actions.  It is the people donating to him that are a bulb or two short.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image67

Hmmm...  Interesting take.   I can totally see that, but is it still a Sin?

As Camping is committing fraud under the cover of religion that would be a sin.  The people donating are simply too stupid to understand what is going on, and stupidity cannot be a sin anymore than a child's ignorance of the world can.

5. IntimatEvolution profile image67

Ah.  But is that a justifiable excuse for following a false Prophet?

6. IntimatEvolution profile image67

But isn't God pretty clear about this subject in the bible.  Doesn't he say not to put  others before him?  Didn't he also command that we not look to the stars to see the future and to stay away from the likes of fortunetellers?  Didn't Christ tell us to put no laws made by man before God's. 

Harold Camping's Christian mission and message contradicts many of these religious guidelines and laws.  For instance~ Christ clearly  tells us that we will not know the hour of the rapture.  Well Harold Camping is saying just the opposite of that, thus telling us to ignore God and follow him.  Isn't that a sin in god's eyes?

1. profile image0

Yes.  I thought I was clear before but I realize my answer was vague. 

Anytime a persom promotes a lie, they sin.  I realize that many might say well, it is the truth to Harold Camping.  It doesn;t matter what Harold Camping believes is true.  He "says" he is a follower of God but he does not show the fruit of the spirit.

In other words IE, you are right in your aseessment.

I had a 84 year old preacher as a patient the other day, and he was fit to be tied over this issue.  These are mainly his point of view, andI must admit I was agreeing with his general assessment.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

His sideburns alone are blasphemous

lol

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

you BC people are all crazy smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...Go Canucks Go!!!

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

see.. i told you so

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Thanks! The sanity in the center of the universe is not for everyone. smile

9. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

I love phrases like 'God dislikes it', it just conjures up images of the people saying it having a cup of tea with God once a week or so and chatting through the rules LOL!

Instead of getting hung up on the concept of 'sin', would it not be better to sling Camping into prison for fraud and try and educate his followers on how to use their brains, make their own decisions and take responsibility for their own lives

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)