If Christianity is The True Doctrine

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (107 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

Today the doctrine of the Christians is heard by the world. Since the time of radio, TV, and now the internet Christianity has reached from one end of the earth to the other.

So if it is the true doctrine, why was it prophesied that there would be a famine of the word of God in the latter days?

In the context of the time of the end marked by heavenly signs (Amos 8:9), Amos quotes God foretelling a time of famine—a famine of His Word. "'Behold, the days are coming,' says the Lord God , 'That I will send a famine  on the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD '" (Amos 8:11).

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think all religion is off base, but your statement is interesting.  You talk of the end marked by heavenly signs.  Are you prophesying that this is the end?

What are these 'heavenly signs' that make you think that?

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1. profile image0

I simply read your statement. Not quite sure where the geez comes in.

1. profile image0

Why the geez, well read this part of my first post you supposedly read. It answers all the questions you asked

In the context of the time of the end marked by heavenly signs (Amos 8:9), [Amos quotes God foretellinga time of famine—a famine of His Word. "'Behold, the days are coming,' says the Lord God , 'That I will send a famine  on the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD '" (Amos 8:11).

Amos was doing the prophesying (not me) and Amos 8:9 gives the signs

1. profile image0

That's actually funny. Correct me if I'm wrong here. You pose a question as to how Christianity could be true doctrine, if Amos was a true prophet, since he prophesied a famine of the word at the end of days.

If you aren't claiming the prophesy was referring to right now, why the question if it isn't yet the end of days?

1. lizzieBoo profile image60
                lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you see what I've been talking about?

1. profile image0

You mean about crazy doctrine? Yes. And I do give the Catholic church kudos for not pushing end time philosophy. But this silliness is fringe Christianity.  Most mainstream Christians I know are little different from the Catholics I know in their approach to religion.

I've lived here for quite a few years. Don't judge Americans by the megachurches.  That would be like saying all of the food tastes like it came from McDonald's. Or if you've seen New York City, you've seen America.  It's a tiny portion of this side of the pond.

1. profile image0

2. profile image0

2. profile image0

Do you actually read what is written?

3. profile image0

I said no such thing about Amos or his prophesies or that I believe it's the end.

First thing you have to do is learn how to read

1. profile image0

If you had taken a moment to clarify that point, in your OP the question might have been averted. You can't blame a person for taking your words at face value. Better luck next time. Geez. Religionists are so touchy.

1. profile image0

_______
                    I explained this directly to you after your first post
                    Read it here
                    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/76506#post1654482

It seems you are the touchy one. I simply corrected you as you said

You might also take a moment to read all of a post, before replying. It will save the frustration

Talk directly to me not about me

Because I can read and understand scripture and posed a question
                    you are labeling me as religious. That's not logical thinking

2. Jerami profile image59
              Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"The end is some to my people of ISRAEL I will not again pass by THEM any more".

This sounds a bit inclusive to me.
                 "...  to my people of Israel ..."

Hardly sounds like he is talking about the end of the whole wide world. 
                 It does sound like God was mad at israel around 750 ish BC.

A lot has happened sinse then.

Pardon me for the interuption.

2. Apostle Jack profile image60
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They were first call Christians.Acts 11 v 26 It is also written that  there is no other name.Acts 4 v 12..What are you saying beyond that?

1. profile image0

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! lol
          If you can make sense of anything this guy says let me know how will you?

1. Apostle Jack profile image60

You don't have to got to it.....it will come to you.

1. profile image0

What does what you posted have to do with what I said?

Daniel 12 v 4,7,9,10 This is where we are now in prophecy.Knowledge shall be the evidence.It is already here.Verse 10 is about the wise,and those that will stay the same.

2. profile image0

3. SpiritMom profile image60
            SpiritMomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do not think you'd understand even if it was explained to you. You cannot understand something you haven't lived.

You don't read the threads much do you?
              ...or people's hubs before you decide what they know and why.

1. SpiritMom profile image60

It is a general statement, not a criticism. But am interested to know why you took it as such.

Bulldust! It was directed at  me in particular and insulting.

Curious...

Like I would lie to a stranger for no reason. It's very very interesting.

2. profile image0

________
              I do believe he would.

I like the way people are judged by one sentence

well, he didn't did he? His context is different. You friends?

It is for some to know,and for some not to know.Do you think that everyone believe in everything that you yourself say?What is your view,faith,or belief?

1. profile image0

WHAT YOU ARE SAYING STILL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I SAID.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I SAID

Have you tried the scientific fix for your keyboard Deborah!
              You know the one.... beat the daylight out of it! lol

1. profile image0

No, but even though I don't know how, my keys are no longer sticking

1. profile image0

That should say:

No, but even though I don't know how or why it happened, my keys are no longer sticking. Maybe a ghost fixed it for me

That is what i just ask you .What is your view,so that i may answer correctly.Be careful as you go, because your slip is showing.

1. profile image0

I have stated what I am saying. Now it's your turn.

I wear caprices all summer when I am not working, so how can my slip be showing?

It is your bad and uncooperative attitude that I was speaking about.

1. profile image0

I have a bad and uncooperative attitude??

I gave something for the Christians to think about.

If it feels to you like I am not cooperating with YOU..it's because I haven't understood what you were saying.
                    When I asked you to clarify you got mad and started calling me names.

What's your problem? Is it because like Paul, you are an Apostle?

3. Beelzedad profile image59
              Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hehe

I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T REACH MY BEER. smile

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just a quick question for you then we can proceed.  How many prophets are there in Israel who speak the Word of God by stating first, "Thus says the Lord?"

1. profile image0

What's that got to do with it? I am speaking of the famine of the word of God

4. SpiritMom profile image60

Why would you relate ancient scriptures written ages ago to today? They were obviously applicable for that time and we just use them as springboards for today's context.

5. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He was talking about a period when he would stop sending prophets to the Earth.

A time of apostacy, followed by a time of refreshing, and restoration of all true doctrines, and continued prophecy.

Where prophecy exists truth is prevalent. Without prophecy, apostacy reigns.

1. profile image0

Those other things have not come to pass as yet, so it is a time later on.

A few things it spoke of agrees with what Yahshua said about the end.

I imagine you support the doctrine of Christianity?
        Is that what you are saying is the true doctrine?

6. heavenbound5511 profile image63
      heavenbound5511posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deborah Sexton-
      In the beginning of Amos 8:1 it is talking about fruit being ripe- when fruit is ripe we harvest it.
      It is talking about the great harvest before Jesus return.
      Amos 8:9--This is referring to the day of the Lord, when the return of Jesus draws near. it speaks of the sun and the moon not being lit at the normal times. So after the Gospel of Jesus has completely been preached to all for corners than the return of Jesus.
      Amos 5:18-Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.

Acts 2:16--But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

17And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

18And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

19And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

20The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and notable day of the Lord come:

21And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
      Matt 24:29 -Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened , and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken :

Amos 8: 11 “The days are coming,” declares the Sovereign LORD,
         “when I will send a famine through the land—
      not a famine of food or a thirst for water,
         but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD.
      12 People will stagger from sea to sea
         and wander from north to east,
      searching for the word of the LORD,
         but they will not find it.

13 “In that day

“the lovely young women and strong young men
         will faint because of thirst.

Skip down to verse 13- it is talking about the gospel of Jesus- it refers to thirst even after it clearly states not thirst of water- It is talking about the living water Jesus offers to all so they will not thirst again. Jesus is the word of God also.

Those that have received Jesus as their Lord and our out their spreading the gospel of Jesus as we have been sent are lights, we have the light of Jesus- we share the message of salvation- after Jesus takes us out of the world there will be a shortage of the word of God being preached.The word of God/ the bible will eventally be banned and the antichrist will be the one that does it so the people can not hear,find the truth and be saved.

In the last day, that great [day] of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.-John 7:37

Isaiah 55:1-- "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.

John 4:14 -but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

John 8:12-Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying , I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 9:5-As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Acts 13:47-For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

Jesus said "As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world".- John 9:4-5

Then Jesus told them all, "You are going to have the light (me) just a little while longer.

Walk while you have the light,

before darkness overtakes you.

(Do not be like) The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going." John 12:35

The coming of Christ will be sudden, and a great surprise to most men, And this is what they knew perfectly, or might know, because our Lord himself had so said:

In such an hour as you think not, the Son of man cometh, Matt. 24:44.
      Watch you therefore, for you know not when the master of the house cometh; lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping.

1. profile image0

Thank you. You verified what I was saying.
        I knew it was speaking about the same time as Yahshua was speaking (the end of days) and that it was speaking of the true word of God.

But I believe we have been in this famine for a long time.

It is the famine of true prophecy and true teachings.
        People go to church and are taught man's interpretation.

The prophecies are from the minds of those delivering them and not God

7. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

" but of hearing the words of the LORD "

Would if it was meant that the word was being ignored? Like background noise from the television or radio.

1. profile image0

Two, they do not understand the scriptures.

Yahshua always said "hear what the spirit is saying" he meant to understand it.

Also there are no true prophets speaking the words God gives them.

2. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

Why would he send a famine of that sort? This is the silliest, silliest, most pitiable idea. Whoever wrote that stuff must've been pretty f***ed up.

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Sorry but I don't think I'll ever change my mind about all (almost all) of them prophesy in the old Testament being about the end of days for that group o people that he was talking to.

I don't think that he was talking to everybody at that time and place.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do not be deceived. There is a famine of the true word of God. Peter was given that mission. This is why Paul and he went to Rome. I believe that Paul, being a Roman, was a spy in the employ of the emperor. The body, your body, my body, everyone's body is where God resides. He hears from every ear, sees from every eye, and speaks from every mouth, and whispers to us within our own consciousnesses. We all move in the steps that Spirit has set for us, to it's own ends, which really are beyond our own understanding. Our purpose here is to become CIVILIZED. There is more that awaits us, and some will walk into heaven yet did not die.

I don't refer to myself as a christian, for there are other paths to follow to get here.

1. Jerami profile image59

We can even follow the man and not follow the crowd.

1. profile image0

Now that is cool...   Thank you.

I may have missed it ,  I might be wrong?   But I think this is the first time that you have adressed me in any thread in the 18 months that you have been here.

I was starting to get my feelings hurt.

My post may not have had anything to do with the OP

but it was obviously connected to and a responce to that which Druid Dude had said.

Excuse us for going off topic if we did.

My most sincear apologies.

1. profile image0

Truth is I never agree with what you say but didn't want to hurt your feelings.
                Sometimes silence is best

2. SpiritMom profile image60

you cannot be in all paths, unless ofcourse you found that path that is contained in all paths, and that path has no name.

2. profile image0

Cool post. I like the way you think. smile

3. Jerami profile image59

I will not deny that there is a drought for the word.

As usual I'm just talking about what it is that I read, and is it applicable to that which people are applying it to.

In the context that that chapter was written, what is it saying may be in question, but who it applys to doesn't seem to be.

If one fails to learn the lessons of history, then one is doomed to repeat them. The prophecies can pertain to more than one age. It is the cyclical form to our existence. To everything there is a season.

4. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

I do not know what to think about these so called end times. we spin the words, force them to apply to events and places.

Or worse, we blaitantly predict the actual event after it starts! and as the event unfolds it proves our predictions false every time.

We do ourselves no service.

5. profile image0

THESE ARE A FEW BUT NOT ALL OF THE RULES

We ask that all Hubbers choosing to participate adhere to these guidelines, in order to maintain the kind of resource everyone will love using and feel comfortable participating in:

*  Stick to the Topic: Please stay on the thread’s topic when replying to an existing thread. If you don’t see an open thread about something you’d like to discuss, please open a new thread.
        * Respect:Please maintain respect for other Hubbers, even if you don’t necessarily agree with them. Keep your language clean and don’t make personal attacks.
        * Be Helpful and Supportive: We’re all here to learn, so please be constructive when providing feedback.
        * Spread the Word: Encourage Hubbers seeking help to visit the Forum to discuss.

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

Hi Deborah,
    sorry bout all the bs going on!!

I believe what  you're talking about, to me, is that God will punish people the worst way possible- not by famine or tornados, or natural disasters (something that will make them want to repent) but becasue mankind is getting to be so wicked He will punish them by not providing the faith to them-----------
    now this is just a guess. I've never even heard of this before but I do know for a fact that one thing that happens to "bad" people with the Holy Spirit is they lose thier conscience, in other words if they refuse God over and over he allows them to lose thier consicience and it's (hard to get back).

7. profile image0
    Kirui l. K.posted 12 years ago

Deborah
    I think your question is best answered by another question. Jesus said in the end, this gospel will be preached to all nations and then the end will come. So how will there be a famine of the word of God in the whole world while at the same time it is being preached everywhere?

1. profile image0

I know you feel this disproves my thinking,. but it doesn't. As a matter of fact it solidifies what I'm getting at.

The famine is probably now (I mean Christianity has been preached for hundreds of years) So when the true word reaches everyone then the end will come.
      When everyone knows God is one God. When everyone knows they have to keep God's words and do away with the teachings of Paul.

We're trying, and many have come to know this due to our teachings (my husband and me)

You're right, Christianity is being preached everywhere and has been for a long time. That's exactly what I'm saying. It is not the true word of God or the end would already have come.

1. lone77star profile image74
        lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bravo!

8. SpiritMom profile image60
    SpiritMomposted 12 years ago

on the whole, interesting crowd...lol cool it, guys?

9. BarrelRoll profile image72
    BarrelRollposted 12 years ago

I think if you take a look at the world today you can tell that the word is not being heard. Or at least not as much as it should be.

1. profile image0

So you think Christianity should be preached more or what?

Tell me why.

10. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Christianity is the only religion the rest are simply forms of denial smile

1. profile image0

Really? Most Christian religions believe in the Pauline doctrine

11. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Really smile

1. profile image0

What is it about Christianity that you like so much? (besides your belief in Yahshua /Jesus) many believe in him and aren't Christians

12. Jerami profile image59

It is taught in church that when Jesus said "this generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled"

The church teaches that jesus was talking about that generation that is alive when "these things" come to pass.

I have a hard time believing that because ....

While standing there talking to these four disciples .. and looking THEM in the face Jesus  said in Matt.
       24:6  And YOU shall hear of wars ..
       24:9 .. Then shall they deliver  YOU  up to be afflicted and shall kill YOU .. and YOU shall be hated   
       Jesus didn't say "Then shall they deliver THEM that are alive when that genertion arrives. and they shall be killed, and they shall be hated.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Peter, James, John and Andrew when he said those things.

24:15  Jesus said "When YOU therefore see the abomination, ...
        Jesus didn't say "When them people shall see the abomination.."

24:20 but pray YOU that YOUR flight be not in the winter..."
      He didn't say  let them pray that their flight be not in the winter, when that time comes.
      24:23  Then if any man say unto YOU, here is christ or there is Christ ..

The point I want to make is that if Jesus was talking about some  generation  other than the one that Peter, James, John and Andrew belonged to, Jesus was lieing to them. 

Imagine being either one of these four with Jesus saying these things to you.

If Jesus was talking about somebody else when he said these things to you, You would call Jesus a liar. And YOU would be correct in believing so.

If you believe that Jesus was talking about some other generation when Jesus said these things to Peter, James , John and Andrew, You would have to believe that Jesus lied to them, 

Christian Doctrine calls Jesus a liar. If Christian doctrine about the second coming is correct, then Jesus lied to his disciples when he said,  they are going to kill YOU. When YOU see.. 

I'll shut up.
       If you do not see what I am saying to you, I must be talking to some OTHER  YOU. Because when I say YOU it gets interpreted YOU to mean somebody else in a different time frame.

I wonder?  If I hit   YOU,   does someone else in a different timeframe feel the pain.

AH Phoooooie ...

1. profile image0

I disagree because the word "You" was also used for a class of people.

Here is the dictionary definition of you

YOU
      :used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class."

Notice it says people of the same class, not of the same time period.
      (seekers of God, Bible readers, those who heed the word etc.)

There are a lot of statements that were said for certain people. But others were for everyone, their children, and their childrens children and for all.

Anyway
      If we say it was for that generation and not for us,. Why read scripture? or follow the examples and direction?

13. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure this answers your question, but sounds good to me.
    It says there will be a famine in the "hearing" of the Word.
    To me that's different from the famine of the proclaiming of the Word.
    I other words, the Word is being proclaimed, but the (many) are not listening.
    That seems to fit the scenario rather accurately, don't you think?

Just a thought. hmm

I already said I was leaving now!  but I will respect your comment first.
        You are right.

I think though that most everyone seems to clump all prophesy into one cup to be ulfilled within a very small timeframe when it shouldn't.

Prophesy has been delivered fron the beginning  (biblically speaking)

And much of them have been fulfilled .   They seem to have come to pass in a chronoligical form.
        Why would they suddenly discontinue that system and come to a complete stop for a duration of 2000 years  and then within such a short period of time as 7 years  Many many things come to pass that no one will be able to tell when one calamity begins and another ends.

I just don't know ?  Can't see it happening that way.

gotta go    be back in a little while.

1. profile image0

The scripture you quoted in Matthew 24 clearly is speaking of the end time.

The disciples asked when those things would be and he when would return.

I don't how you think they are not speaking of the last days.

Read it again

Matt 24
        3. And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4. And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

Just another opinion and question concerning a couple of words.

3. And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately,

This word PRIVATELY has always etched itself in my mind as if it carries great significance to the intent of this story.
            It is also used in Mark 13.
          In a PRIVATE conversation Jesus told these our; when YOU see...  they will kill YOU ... 

Also  in Luke 21:5, 6, & 7 ...  while standing in front of the temple , Jesus talks about  "IT"  being destroyed then the disciples ask when shall these things be ?
            I think that these disciples were asking about not only the destruction of the temple but also those things as described in Matthew 23 where Jesus was condemning the scribes and Pharisees.

Seems to me that the destruction of that temple coming to pass approx 40 years later indicates that all of these things Jesus spoke of, did in fact occur as he said that it would.  "This generation shall not pass till all these things be Fulfilled".  That no one knows the day and hour (until after it happens).

The true and full meaning of the word that Private was translated from might be of importance, as well as that of earth as written in EZRA 1:2  In this instance EARTH could not be talking about the whole planet earth. 

Which leads me to believe that in other instances in prophesy where the word earth is used, also is not talking about the whole planet earth but a small portion of it, such as that portion around the Mediterranean sea??

There can be much confusion created when a single word is mistranslated.    Not to mention when we are given privilege to further adulterate the message with our own private interpretation, each and everyone of us.                                                                                                                               And the way in which chapters are laid out in a book can seem to either alter the intent of a story line or hide the connection between them.

14. Jerami profile image59

Debra ,  I don't mean to sound as if I am arguing with you;  for you should share your thoughts and opinions as should I.
    = - = -

Debra wrote ...the dictionary definition of you.

YOU
    :used to refer to the person being addressed together with other people regarded in the same class."

Notice it says people of the same class, not of the same time period.
    = - = - = -

ME
       that definition is correct.  BUT,  When these verses in which the word YOU are being expressed, the subject matter is centered around the question of WHEN.
      When will these things be?   
      When YOU see.

Whether a definition of the word "You" includes a timeframe or not,  the sentence in which the word "YOU" is contained certainly does answer the question concerning the timeframe. 

If there are any English majors in the group ?
    Please correct me if I am wrong on this single issue please.
    If I am wrong I need to be corrected.
    ===================================

You said ...
      There are a lot of statements that were said for certain people. But others were for everyone, their children, and their childrens children and for all.

= - = -  ==  --
    me

I totally agree with that statement ...   that is my point exactly!  In every instance we need to be very careful as to who a certain passage is being addressed to.

========================
    You said ..
    Anyway
    If we say it was for that generation and not for us,. Why read scripture? or follow the examples and direction?

= - = -  =  -  =
    ME …
       All of the moral dictates are everlasting. They do apply to all of us.

If a prophesy is truly a prophesy it will certainly come to pass.  At that time that it has been fulfilled, time continues on, for there are yet other prophesy not yet fulfilled.

I forget where it was written,  but didn't someone in scripture say that the prophesy was given that scripture might be proven?

Regardless of which timeframe we are in. Continued study of scripture is important to the believer.

I think that scripture does identify their purpose to different individuals differently  BUT ,,,  Prophesy has no personal interpretation.
       So we should continue to expose those personal interpretations within our own minds, that we have been taught, and eliminate them from our thinking process.
      That is a most difficult task. I'm not sure anyone can totally complete this task.

That is my opinion anyway.

And everyoneare entitled to theirs.

Edit  ...   i gotta get off here now and go do a couple of Job applications .

15. Jerami profile image59

Deborah Sexton WROTE

The disciples asked when those things would be and he when would return.and when will the end of the world be?
    = - = - = -

Me
       seriously, would apreciate  it if you can answer this for me, How many other words are there that this  Hebrew could have been translated to mean other than world?.   
       I think that here lies both a translation problem and then an interpretation problem.

Irregardles

Three questions were asked in this conversation Jesus but he actually only answered two.   "when those things would be and when would he return"

And Q. 2  ...  when will those things would be
    What was the sourse of this question, if not from those things which Jesus was speaking of earlier in the temple as written in C 23 ?

Jesus didn't answer the third question; "when will the world end".

Just my opinion.

Just got home after a 12 hour drive drive and am going to bed now. I am respectfully look forward to your reply

I don't how you think they are not speaking of the last days.

Read it again

Matt 24
    3. And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4. And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

1. profile image0

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Greek word kósmo can mean world, people, universe, cosmos.
      The Greek word yfí̱lios is the word that can mean world, globe, or earth.
      And
      The Greek word sýmpan can mean universe, cosmos, world, macrocosm, so all are about the same meaning.

Matthew 24

Here they were asking for the signs loofa his coming and the signs of the end of the world. He gives them more signs and then says all those things have to happen but the END is not yet.  He was talking about the END.

He gave many more signs and states that he that endures till the END would be saved.
      He gives them more signs and then says the Son of man in heaven
      and indicates that like in Noah’s day (when all but he and his family were killed) it would be that way at the coming of the Son of man. Seems the end and the return will be at the same time, according to the English bible.

Anytime there are parables, look for hidden meanings.

16. ranaraza1992 profile image60
    ranaraza1992posted 12 years ago

Not all over the world belongs to Cristaniy , and Muslims als a big powe rin the world

And what is the value of that power? Does it make you feel important to belong to such a powerful group? Do you know that such a feeling is an abomination in the eyes of Mohammed? This saint was a humble and faithful teacher from Allah. "Power" is an evil distraction. Don't be seduced by it. Read of Gautama Siddhartha Buddha, Lao Tzu, and others, and then you might better understand what the master, Mohammed was saying.

2. profile image0

Who said it did?

Hi Deborah. What "it" is it you refer to? And "did" what?

I could be wrong, but the way I interpreted (nice word, "interpret") ranaraza1992's statement, he was saying that "Muslims are also a big power in the world." Why would anyone ever say such a thing, unless "power" was seen as having some kind of importance. And the context of his statement seems to be one of a competition between Christianity and Islam. Does there need to be a competition? Are not the two aiming toward the same goal -- love of God?

1. profile image0

I was just responding to his statement that not all the world belongs to the Christians.

17. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Deborah, could it be that the famine of God's Word is from the misinterpretation of that Word?

Just as one might gain no potassium from a plastic banana and that one could starve from eating plastic ("display") food, one will gain nothing spiritually from the preconcieved notions that many have of scripture.

One should approach the gates of Heaven empty-handed and hungry, as if a beggar. "Humility" is the name of that hunger. Only then will the Word bring one the needed nourishment.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5144331.jpg

1. profile image0

Yes it could
      Here I state by not understanding it. Which could be because of interpretation or translation

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/76506?p … ost1662708

18. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

I agree with lone77, the foundation of the church was built on sand, and the true church is the body of creation. Here is where the Temple is. Walk inside and see the wonder which exists inside and outside of you. Fractal Reality. The repitition of basic patterns, from the microcosm to the macrocosm. There is something "beyond" us. That simple.

19. Jerami profile image59

Thanks Debra but are there not other Hebrew words that our word  world was translated from.
      The reason I ask is in Ezea 1 King yrus says that the God of heaven has given him all the kingdoms of the world and has commanded him to build God a house in Jerusalem.

Cyrus never had dominion over the whole world ,   so I was wondering how many words can be translated ..world .. and how many other meanings could have been aplied.

I think that situations such as this would explain many misunderstandings or misinterpretations.

1. profile image0

The New Testament was written in Greek. Therefore the Hebrew word
      would not mean much here.

If you still want the Hebrew Words let me know.

And please, my name is Deborah, it isn't even said like Debra.

2. profile image0

My Torah is written in Hebrew. Give me the verse and I'll see.

20. profile image53
    passingthewordposted 12 years ago

Hey Sexton, I see you received your answer on Amos. The LDS also use Acts 3, calling the time afterward the "Time of restitution of all things and 2 Thessalonians ch 2 were it says the falling away to describe the Great apostasy. When the LDS church read the scripture they believe these occasions have already happened they have their timeline wrong. This is what I get out of these scriptures, starting with acts. My thoughts in ()
    Acts 3:19-26. We can't just read 19 you must continue reading. Verse 20-21. When will this Restitution (Greek for to set in order) occur? Verse 21) God will send Jesus (we must stay with the subject) whom the Heavens must receive (Jesus was already received in heaven at this point) until the times of restitution of all things. (What will happen at His return) 23 and it shall come to pass that every soul, which will not hear the Prophet (capital P so it must be talking about Jesus), shall be destroyed. Same as 2 Thess 1:7-12 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ 9) who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power.

These verses are talking about Jesus' second coming. Now what is restored? Everything. Rev 21 The new heaven, the new earth. The present universe will be cleansed from all effects of sin (2 peter 3:7, 10-13). Everything will be set in ORDER (Restitution), just like it was before the fall of Satan or the sin in the garden.

Know how Jesus will return Rev 1:7 Behold He cometh with clouds and every eye shall see Him.  Matt 24:30, 31 and then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven and then shall ALL THE TRIBES of the earth mourn, and they SHALL see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great SOUND OF A TRUMPET and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds from one end of heaven to the other.
    Now on 2 thess and the great apostasy (According lds church) I use this one alot. was there a need of a restoration of the church?
    No, no need to be restored.

The Great apostasy has not happen yet.

John 15:2, Every branch (believer, disciple, true Christian) that beareth fruit, He (God) shall prune it, that it may bring forth more fruit. (The true Word of God will continue forever.) The branches are the believers and/or teachers and the fruit are those who are taught. God will get those people ready (prune) and the cycle will continue forever.

This is what God promised.

The Great apostasy is talked about in 2 Thessalonians Ch 2. When the people thought that the day of the Lord had already began.

2Thess 2:3

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first (The Great apostasy) AND that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition (Satan).

The Great apostasy (the Great falling away) will happen when the anti Christ (the son of perdition "damnable to die") comes and teaches his false doctrine (Rev 13). The people will be tricked into worshiping the beast (Satan) and will be turned away from the true Christ. The Great Apostasy.

Jesus promised us that he would never leave us or forsake us. Hebrews 13:5, And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; John 14:16 we will always have the Holy spirit we will always have Jesus

1. profile image0

I can tell what religion you are by the way you called me Sexton instead of Deborah.

I was not looking for the answer. I knew it before I started this thread.
      I disagree that fruit means teachings. You're not even warm.

There is already a famine and has been for ages.

21. profile image0

Jerami

I’ll read and find as many verses with the words land, and earth and will explain them later. Hebrew can’t just be read, it has to be studied and compared.

Here’s a couple of those verses.

In Amos 8:11
    It says Land, but the word translated as land is he-Aretz and means Country.
    But you have to remember that the people of ancient days did not know there was other places except around where they lived. To them, that was the earth.

In Amos 8:11
    Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

In Genesis 6:
    The bible says earth, but the Torah says the Land which is also the earth. You have to understand Hebrew because in this context, it says Adamah which does mean land, and earth, but it is as opposed to other Realms and planets. It does not mean land as acreage, nor a town etc., it actually does mean (planet) earth.

Genesis 6

1. And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

22. Jerami profile image59

I think that you are affirming most of what I have been thinking.

We should take what you just said into consideration when we see them written in prophesy. Such as the sea turning red as blood, not pertaining to every body of water large enough to be called an ocean or sea.

The third part of life that lived in the sea and a third of the ships being destroyed etc.  Was probably the Mediterranean or a specific area of it.  ??

23. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

There are 400 yrs between the OT and NT. As much as i enjoy the dualistic meaning of amos, we can note that his sayings apply to then and now.
    The word hearing is defined in strongs as "intelligent hearing", attentive, careful.

There is much hearing but is it intelligent?
    To directly put this context in a hubpages relative phraseology:
                         intelligent reading

Famine because the people heard but did not obey, did not consider the word of the Lord -as people are prone to do today.

also note that vs 13 connects this hearing famine with thirst.
    Amos 8:13   In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.

Matthew 5:6   Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

The thirst that creates action.
    Romans 10:14   How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Because:
    Genesis 6:5   And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

God caused this famine.
    2 Thessalonians 2:3   Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a FALLING AWAY first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)