jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Thailand wants to ban tattoos of the Buddha's image

1. secularist10 profile image91
    secularist10posted 5 years ago

Some people are just no fun.

"The ministry has called on tattoo parlors across Thailand to stop drawing Buddha on people's bodies because his image is sacred and has asked provincial governors to inspect parlors to assure that they are not defying the decree."

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/03/tha … a-tattoos/

Taking yourself too seriously is not reserved for Islam or Christianity.

2. Beelzedad profile image60
    Beelzedadposted 5 years ago

Interesting, a monarchy that has had 17 different constitutions since 1932, all founded from military coups. I suppose we shouldn't expect them to move towards being tolerant. smile

3. 0
    Muldanianmanposted 5 years ago

I'm surprised at this.  I had always imagined Buddhism to be the most liberal of religions.  I hope this is not an indication that another religion is to go down the fundamentalist path.

1. secularist10 profile image91
      secularist10posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Buddhism claims exclusive truth, and it deals with the supernatural, so it is very similar to other religions.

No religion is inherently more liberal or conservative than another, rather people are liberal or conservative, and they use their religious teachings and doctrines to justify or conform to their liberalism or conservatism.

During the Sri Lankan Civil War, there was a clear undercurrent of fanatical Buddhism supported by a number of Buddhist religious authorities. Buddhism is often stereotyped in the west as being very peaceful or pacifist, but that is far from the whole story. It is a religion influenced by human beings and their flaws just like all the others.