jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Did you know that Joseph Smith drank and Smoked?

1. 60
    passingthewordposted 5 years ago

(History of the Church, Vol. 6, page 616)
    “Before the jailor came in, his boy brought in some water, and said the guard wanted some wine. Joseph [Smith] gave Dr. Richards two dollars to give the guard; but the guard said one was enough, and would take no more.

“The guard immediately sent for a bottle of wine, pipes, and two small papers of tobacco; and one of the guards brought them into the jail soon after the jailor went out. Dr. Richards uncorked the bottle, and presented a glass to Joseph, who tasted, as brother and the Doctor, and the bottle was then given to the guard, who turned to go out.”

“Sometime after dinner we sent for some wine. It has been reported by some that this was taken as a sacrament. It was no such thing; our spirits were generally dull and heavy, and it was sent for to revive us. I think it was Captain Jones who went after it, but they would not suffer him to return. I believe we all drank of the wine, and gave some to one or two of the prison guards. We all of us felt unusually dull and languid, with a remarkable depression of spirits. In consonance with those feelings I sang a song, that had lately been introduced into Nauvoo, entitled, ‘A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief’, etc.”

(John Taylor, as quoted in History of the Church, Vol. 7, page 101)

2. aka-dj profile image80
    aka-djposted 5 years ago

So what?
    As if that has any bearing on him, or his message.

I personally dismiss him as a deceiver, and his entire message as a fabrication.
    Many people follow his (book) message, but I don't. to each his own. big_smile

1. Jerami profile image78
      Jeramiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes !   All of them others are deceivers if they want to make me and you to want to believe what they be a saying.

I am native to the english language ....   sometimes I like to try out my naive tongue  "Hill Billy" 
      most of the time I try to keep it quiet..

3. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

If you look at any organization that has been built based on the philosophy of any one individual, you'll find that the one they look up to as the founder was little more than a visionary and a salesman. This is not unique to religion.  People liked something  in the philosophy enough to band together, then they go out to sell the idea to others.

Over the years the organization changes to reflect the ideas of the subsequent leaders within said organization. It works for religion, non profits and corporations. Look at how much Disney has changed over the years, for example.

You don't understand this, but  the  off shoot branches of religion are new patents on an old idea. Attempts to build a better mousetrap. They run across design problems and revamp the product, to keep it marketable. LDS, Jehovah Witnesses, Scientology and mainstream Christianity have evolved to stay current with the wallets of those they are attempting to access.

You bought stock in an older corporation that sells a  more classic model of the mousetrap. Why begrudge the Mormons their mousetrap?

4. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 5 years ago

would that even matter?

look at Priests, Preachers etc....
    all Backdoors never match the front one and yet people flock to it.