jump to last post 1-21 of 21 discussions (53 posts)

How Do You Fight The devil When He Tempts You To Sin?

1. infotripzone profile image60
    infotripzoneposted 6 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5167527_f248.jpg
    I would pray and ask God to help.

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How do I fight the devil when he tempts me to sin?  That all depends on the sin.  I try to use good judgment when giving into temptations, but since I'm the Queen of Impulsivity, that's doesn't always work.   wink  To quote Oscar Wilde -- "The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it." And since I don't believe in the devil... well there is nothing to fight is there?

1. OutWest profile image59
        OutWestposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Remember you reap what you sow.  But I don't mean to sound judgemental because I do the same thing.  But I do realize that those moments shape who I am and often others in a negative way.  It is our conscience we are fighting though.

2. heavenbound5511 profile image81
        heavenbound5511posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I Corinthians 10
        13    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
        14    Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.
        15    I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say.
        16    The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?
        17    For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.
        18    Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?
        19    What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?
        20    But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils [demons] , and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils [demons] .
        21    Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils [demons] : ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils [demons] .
        22    Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image74
          schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago in reply to this

thankyou

2. Beelzedad profile image61
      Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Usually, I just text message Saddam Hussein to call him up and take Satan out for dinner and a movie. smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
        dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

lolol...Satan is a cheep date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    lmao

3. jacharless profile image77
      jacharlessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Stop lying and saying here is an entity called the Devil and translate the Hebrew VERB correctly. Then pray, and as Saul said, "renew YOUR MIND" according to understanding and light, not swatting at darkness with a tennis racket.

Keyword = Mind/Thoughts aka devil, adversary.

big_smile
      James.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

the christians have been saying the devil is an entity for centuries - not going to be easy to stop that

1. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No it isn't going to be easy, but the light on this belief is catching on.
          It doesn't matter if Christianity as a whole doesn't catch on. The bride of christ will not be a denomination, its not the whole church, it's Christ followers from here and there and everywhere. He knows who are His.

2. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 6 years ago in reply to this

nice

4. Psalmist4M profile image81
      Psalmist4Mposted 6 years ago in reply to this

infotripzone, we are give a specific example of how we should fight this battle by Jesus, Himself. When Satan tempted him, He would always come back with, "It is written...". Jesus used scripture, God's Word to fight the devil. That's why it's important for us to know it. Then we have the tools to fight and win. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you and guide you. He will!

5. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

God is the only protector from the devil there is none other.

6. getitrite profile image80
      getitriteposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I pray to Captain America, or Ironman.

lol lol lol lol

7. profile image0
      SirDentposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jas 4:7  Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

8. Cagsil profile image59
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What devil?

Just like, what god?

9. heavenbound5511 profile image81

Rev 12: 9-And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

10. Titen-Sxull profile image93
      Titen-Sxullposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've never been tempted by the devil. When I'm tempted its pretty much exclusively my own mind and it's desires doing the tempting. Jesus even understands this when he says to cut off a part of your body if it causes you to sin, he's hopefully being metaphorical there.

Sorry but there is no boogeyman, there is no devil and if you want to stop "sinning" YOU are the only person who has a say in that. Not sure why some Christians have to pretend they're powerless without their God to help them. Imagine for a moment if God is a Father, you're gonna nag your loving Father for every little thing, including to help you when you have a dirty thought or a sinful impulse? God or not I'd say it's time to pull up your big boy (or girl) britches.

11. heavenbound5511 profile image81

Psalm 50:15- and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me."

Psalm 91:15- He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.

Isaiah 55:6 -Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.

Acts 2:21 -And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'

Romans 10:13- for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

1. brimancandy profile image81
        brimancandyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Also call on the lord when he is near. If he is all seeing and all powerful shouldn't he always be near? That seems like a pointless quote.

While he may be found? Why is he going somewhere?

That stuff makes no sense.

1. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Isaiah 55:6 -Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.
          This is quoted from a time when Gods people were exiled to Babylon. After the last prophet there were 400 yrs of silence. Then was birthed john the baptist and Jesus. In Isaiah there are frequent colloquialisms that the Jews, having lost their faith, would say about God.. another one of them was "Isaiah 59:1   Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:" The exiled Jews were saying; the arm of the Lord is too short to save and his ears are heavy with our burdens.
          So to answer the question, the exiled Jews thought that God was far away from them. Isaiahs' message in the later half of the book of Isaiah was to remind them that God is always near and can always be found and that He would restore Israel.

12. LeslieAdrienne profile image82
      LeslieAdrienneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just say NO!

13. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

by not believing in a devil roll

2. brimancandy profile image81
    brimancandyposted 6 years ago

I'm kind of like that Lion on Bugs Bunny who is constantly tricked into being asked how many lumps he wants, and then getting whacked in the head with a hammer. He keeps getting ticked until he finally grabs it and says. "No Thanks! I'll help myself!" Then starts whacking himself in the head with them hammer. That's kind of like me and temptation, I don't need the devil to help me find it, I can find it just fine myself!

Besides, I would probably just till the Devil to Bleep off!!

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol  I like your honesty.  I think it's better to admit that we need no help to fall into temptation, than to get all self-righteous pretending we are something that we are not.

1. heavenbound5511 profile image81

James 1: 12Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

16Do not err, my beloved brethren.

17Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Phil 3:8-Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

12Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

1. brimancandy profile image81
          brimancandyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If that was directed at me the battle is lost.  Why is it that stuff that is quoted from the bible makes absolutely no sense. One of your quotes.

if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Did god think for some unknown reason that man would want to resurrect the dead? Or, god resurrecting the dead? I know he certainly didn't mean me. I would leave them in the ground were they belong. The bible is nothing but a bunch of jibberish, which is why it has to contstanly be translated.

Sounds a lot like a senator these days, answering questions every way but sideways, and never giving an answer. Made no sense at all.

1. profile image0
            brotheryochananposted 5 years ago in reply to this

audience of Phillipi.. gentile Christians in a Rome occupied town.

if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead

Sometimes verse structure breaks up sentences:
            "If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead, not as though I had already attained, either were already mature or complete: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus".

These verses combined i hope make more sense now. Paul is exorting the believers not to take Christ and his salvation, which they experienced for granted, nor to think they would be raised up again but to keep a humble mind and continuously seek after God.
            The resurrection of the dead is best described this way:
            Hebrews 9:27   And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: There are two judgments; Christ will judge his saints and the other, God will judge those who are not Christs. This is the afterlife you may have heard of.
            In a more liberal sense, yes paul was is talking to everyone, one of the two judgments awaits.

Paul is exhorting the new Jewish

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

good post brim, very accurate

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

For the most part, "The Devil" leaves me alone.  Maybe that's why I'm under such a strong impression that there is NO DEVIL!  lol  (And if there is, then he's apparently spending his time bothering other people.)

4. shazwellyn profile image84
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

The world isnt going to the devil, it is going to God.  It is a wonderful becoming.

Fear is like a disease, personally, I prefer love.

5. profile image0
    Valemanposted 6 years ago

If it involves sherry or chocolate, I'm afraid the devil wins every time.

6. CyclingFitness profile image92
    CyclingFitnessposted 6 years ago

Afraid I live life for today and if that means excess. So be it!

7. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

I do what we all do!

I put my tin foil hat on and tune the aerial. smile

8. infotripzone profile image60
    infotripzoneposted 6 years ago

Psalmist4M Thanks for your comment I felt its very useful one, never actually thought about it. smile

9. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 6 years ago

The followers of Jesus the Christ teachings, understood that we will be tempted and to deal with these temptations one must be grounded in their faith.  Jesus faced the devil repeating scripture to the Devil.  Job let the friend around him know that he believed in God.  Moses spreaded the word of God to all the people that would believe.

10. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I find that Satan pretty much leaves me alone.  I assume that he knows that I have a conscience, that I will listen to it, and that I am smart enough to follow it.  Thus, his efforts at temptations are generally pretty futile.

Most of we despicable atheists are like that - we already have a conscience that knows right from wrong.

1. Stump Parrish profile image61
      Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago in reply to this

wilderness, I thought a little more about my post and yours and came up with this bit of reality. Most religious people claim that atheists have no basis for living a moral life. The truth is that we don't have a built in alibi for any and all immoral behavior. Religious people simply claim that the devil tempted them and they were incapable of resisting the temptation of another god like creature. Atheists are forced to take responsibility for our own actions and this is something too many religious people are incapable of doing. Religious people need the devil to make their life a little more acceptable to themselves.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

While I have heard that excuse, few people actually use it in my experience although that says nothing for how many use it as an excuse to themselves.  After all, as everyone knows, the devil is so much stronger than any mere man.

On the other hand, I don't have anyone to pat me on the psyche and tell it'll be all right when I've done wrong either.  No one to take away the guilt, the feeling I've let myself or someone else down or the sorrow. 

When I've screwed up I just have to live with it, and that seems to make it easier to resist the next time.  It is, as you point out, a matter of taking responsibility and using it to my own advantage down the road.

11. Stump Parrish profile image61
    Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

Pretty sad excuse for a human being that claims the devil made me do it. Just another way to avoid responsibility for one's own actions. Blame it on anything and anyone but the one responsible. Reminds me of a spoiled little kid's mentality.

12. richtwf profile image60
    richtwfposted 5 years ago

I would think of the consequences and the regret that I might feel.

13. Woman Of Courage profile image59
    Woman Of Courageposted 5 years ago

I fight the devil with the scriptures in the bible, and I command him to get thee behind me in the name of Jesus.

Mark 16:15- And He (Jesus) said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they[b] will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Much of the Christ's ministry of preaching the coming Kingdom of God also involved "healing all that were oppressed of the devil." It was done by the power of God, through the Holy Spirit that was within Him:

"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with The Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with Him." (Acts 10:38 KJV)
      Those that the Christ healed of demon possession were almost always also healed of a physical or psychological ailment that the demon-possession had caused either by organic damage or through self-damaging behavior e.g.

"And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity" (Luke 13:11-12 KJV)
      "Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and He healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw." (Matthew 12:22 KJV)

"And when He went forth to land, there met Him out of the city a certain man, which had devils long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the tombs ... Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind" (Luke 8:27,35 KJV)

"As they went out, behold, they brought to Him a dumb man possessed with a devil. And when the devil was cast out, the dumb spake" (Matthew 9:32-33 KJV)

Jesus Christ also commanded His servants to do the same as He did, as again made possible by the Holy Spirit:

"And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils" (Matthew 10:7-8 KJV)
      The Seventy gave evidence of how the power of God always overcomes the powers of Satan:

"And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. And He said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven" (Luke 10:17-20 KJV)

14. amymarie_5 profile image87
    amymarie_5posted 5 years ago via iphone

Don't blame Satan for your weaknesses. That's the first step. Blaming someone else or an entity is giving away your power. Once you realize you have that power within you, you can resist temptations.

15. heavenbound5511 profile image81
    heavenbound5511posted 5 years ago

Ephesians 4:27 and do not give the devil a foothold.
    Ephesians 6:11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.
    Ephesians 6:13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
    1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
    1 Peter 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
    1 Peter 5:9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

16. profile image60
    PrettyOldSoulposted 5 years ago

sweety.. Rubuke him. turn from the face of evil and it will flee from thee. God Bless

You are right Prettyoldsoul smile - I was just adding to the forum what isn't on here yet.
      Woman of Courage covered that one. smile
      Yes the devil and his demons all flee at the name of Jesus- but we are always to remember to give no open door to satan through sin that we have not repented/turned from- or satan will have rights to us through our own rebellion and come and torment us.
      Having on the full armor of God is required in order to stand.
      God bless you smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image59
        Woman Of Courageposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Amen smile

17. infotripzone profile image60
    infotripzoneposted 5 years ago

Thank you all for your help and guidance. I was trying to fight the devil all this time and finally after a long time I realized that Jesus has already given us victory over satan on the cross. All we need to do is give God the praise and never fear the devil.

Friends I've written an article about best Christian songs and artists. Please tell me how it is. http://hubpages.com/hub/THE-BEST-CHRIST … D-ARTISTS. If I've missed any beautiful song please let me know. Thank you.

18. Michael Jon profile image62
    Michael Jonposted 5 years ago

How do you fight the devil when he tempts you? First I'd like to reffer you to Ephesians 6:10, "The Armor of God". You should read it.

The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God is a very powerful weapon when it comes to defending yourself against temptation. The word of God is in the bible, read it daily and before you know it you'll have it written on your heart.

Jesus is a perfect example, you must read Matthew 4:1-11. Satan is well versed in relation to knowing scripture and he'll twist it to cause you to stumble and fall.

For instance, after Jesus spent 40 days and 40 nights fasting in the desert, He was weakened. That is when Satan came to tempt Him. Satan does the same to us all, tempts us when we are weak. In other words, he attacks us at are weak points.

When we know the Word of God and are obedient to it, temptation can not over come us.

You see, our redeemer (Jesus Christ) knows where we're coming from, because he walked in our shoes for 33 years. He was tempted in the same way we are tempted. What a loving God we have, where He put aside His glory to be like us. The only difference being that He was and is without sin.

19. Jonathan Janco profile image80
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

The devil is simply a disconnect from the self, from creation.
    But this is a cute, quaint dscussion. It reminds me of a quote from Wm S. Burroughs:

"Every soul is worth saving, even to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

20. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 5 years ago

the devil is never a problem to me. I realize that all my temptations come from myself, in my flesh dwells no good thing. Of course as Jesus amply displayed quoting scripture in times of temptation is a good resource, But mostly i pray that God change me from the person i am into the person He wants me to be, in this way, i lean on his power to change and the work becomes His and not mine.

21. schoolgirlforreal profile image74
    schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago

I say "Begone Satan!"
    and the St. Michael prayer

working