jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Are Baha'i-ists Considered an Islamic Sect?

1. 0
    mib56789posted 5 years ago

Definition of â��extantâ��:  Still in existence, esp. of books and documents not lost in the course of time.

â��The major extant religions emerged in the following order:  Hinduism (in India) and Shintoism (in Japan) â�¦ Judaism (in Palestine) â�¦ Zoraastrianism (in Persia) â�¦ Taoism and Confucianism (in China) â�¦ Jainism and Buddhism (in India â�¦), Christianity (in Palestine â�¦) â�¦ Islam (in Arabia â�¦) â�¦ Sikhism (in India â�¦) â�¦ Bahaism (in Persia â�¦)â�¦â��  (Source:  Webster, Noah. The New Lexicon Webster Dictionary of the English Language. Ed. Bernard S. Cayne. New York, N.Y: Lexicon Publications, 1988. Print.)

I have never heard of Bahaism.  The research I did indicates that the followers of Islam view the Baha doctrine as heresy.  I just discovered this HUB topic category.  Anyone want to engage in a discussion?

2. amer786 profile image80
    amer786posted 3 years ago

Bahais are not considered a sect of Islam by either Muslims or Bahais themselves. According to Bahai doctrine, Muhammad (peace be upon him) and all the other known Biblical prophets and their religions were relevant for their age and time. However, these are now abrogated in favor of Bahaullah and the Bahai faith in the era of latter-days.

Commentators and historians, I believe, do regard the Bahai faith as an off-shoot of Islam as its founders (The Bab and Bahaullah) were born into Shia Islam in modern-day Iran. According to a gentleman I met sometime back from Iran who had Bahais in his family, the customs and rituals to seem to be borrowed from Islam. Apparently, they pray and fast in a similar manner.

If Muslims regard the Bahai faith as heresy then it would be because they consider Islam and The Holy Quran to be final dispensation of heavenly law to humanity. And the Bahai faith condratics that doctrine by declaring itself to be a new law-bearing dispensation from God.

3. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Do they follow the Qu'ran as closely as other Muslims, or as closely as Christians follow the Bible and Jews follow the Torah/Talmud?

If yes, then yes.
    If no, then no.

1. amer786 profile image80
      amer786posted 3 years ago in reply to this

They are not Muslims. They don't claim to be. Hence, they don't follow the Quran at all. Their book is known as Kitab-e-Aqdas.