Forgiving Others and Regaining trust

1. 59
    FelineFranceposted 5 years ago

I have said and done things that I hurt others and those who I have hurt have given me second chances or forgiven me. Here's the problem, I try to do the same for others because the same was done for me, but I am under the impression that some people really do not change.  How can I learn to forgive others but not be stupid enough to trust them once again? Does forgiveness really mean eliminating the past completely? I am struggling to forgive a few people, but I really do not want them in my life now and in the future. How can I honestly trust someone I know has stolen valuables from me or people my family keep warning me to stay away from? I like to see the good in the others, but I do not want to be stupid again to trust someone who has seem heartless.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Forgiving someone doesn't mean you forget completely. You forget the anger. You forget the feeling of betrayal. You put it in perspective and move forward. You adjust your behavior in an attempt to be a positive influence.

If someone is a thief, it doesn't mean you pretend they aren't. You accept them for what they are and fashion your relationship accordingly, or step away. To allow them to continue to steal is not being a positive influence and just setting yourself up to be hurt again.