Saying Prayers in Islam

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Abhaque Supanjang profile image72
    Abhaque Supanjangposted 12 years ago

Prayers in Islam is not the same to other religions. Many non-Muslims say that Sholat - like the five times compulsory ritual activities done by Muslim every day is also prayer. It is only partial true not completely, because in Sholat - we do not only say prayers to Allah, but also do zikrullah, recite Al-Qur'anul Kariem, say shalawat, saying two kalimatul syahadah, facing Ka'bah (means also doing hajj or umrah indirectly). Meanwhile, for saying prayer in common, is done by Muslims in any other circumstances - anything that we want to do, we have to pray. There is no meditation in Islam; the true one is in saying our prayer or zikrullah, we have to be able to concentrate out mind to the Almighty of Allah.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is NO DOUBT that you are a programmed "bot."

Tch , tch...!

Qwark

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
        dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

nor more than opening every meeting or sport with the national Anthum or prayer..?

Prayer is re-inforcement of faith,  a feeling of a safe space inside you, and a reach into a restful peace in your own mind. I would much rather see a a person at peace inside themselves, and relaxed, then the unstable,  overreactions of the biased filled mind set we see demonstrated on the net over and over.

Bot or not, that persons prayer hurts no one. and You  have a choice to not involve yourself with it.  If A person choses prayer or not. It is thier concern not ours what so ever. It does not affect our life,  our day or tasks and problems that make up our own day at all. It is thier free choice, nothing more.

1. qwark profile image59
          qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not true Dutchman.

Belief in the "god thing" of monotheistic belief which has proven itself to be responsible for about a 2000 yr history of death and destruction is, in my book, a fool.

To believe in the "god thing" that monotheists pray to is indicative of primitive, human ignorance.

Those such as the writer of this thread, have been programmed to believe in and worship that which only exists in the imagination as an abstract concept.

Prayer to an "abstract concept" which has only religious faith (hope) as its foundation, is the act of a fool.

Ignorance, regardless of what it's wrapped in, especially when it becomes "fanaticism," is dangerous.

I stand by my concept of the writer of this thread as being a programmed, religious "bot" for the reasons I expressed above.

I am not singling out this writer. I view all religious "fundies" as programmed "bots."

Qwark

1. deblevey726 profile image60
            deblevey726posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yet there is no indication that pre neanderthal man had any religious belief whatever, but every culture and society since then have anthropological evidence in a spiritual power greater than man or the entire universe for that matter.  Never mind the endless debate.  If you want to convince me there is no God, just tell me and prove to me what if anything is on the other side of that point where the Big Bang occurred?

(sic) ...evidence of belief in and worship of a spiritual power greater...

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
            Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Qwark.  How are you doing today?  Hope all is well by you.
            I was reading your comments to Dutchman and I was surprised by your problems with his post.  For example…

If we are both talking about the same 2000 year history since the birth of Christ, then the death and destruction it reveals was all caused by men and not by gods. 

By most estimates, about 85% of the world’s adult population acknowledges a belief in a deity. If such beliefs didn’t serve a real purpose and benefit in the lives of these folks, they wouldn’t think this way. Which credentials are needed to insist that belief in a god is ignorance? Perhaps, to not believe in a god is a sign of ignorance.
            Love, hate, greed, compassion, faith, trust, hope and altruism are all intangible concepts having different meanings to different people. To imagine concepts that exist only in one’s mind is to be able to see things not visible to the human eye.
            If prayer is defined as focusing one’s conscious mind on an abstract concept with faith and hope that it will have a beneficial affect on one’s life then prayer is no different then learning Quantum Physics. Who is qualified to say one is the act of a student and the other the act of a fool?

Sincere ignorance, Qwark, is never dangerous until it is combined with conscientious stupidity. Any claim to know all the answers to life’s many mysteries would qualify as conscientious stupidity.
            No one, least of all me, would challenge your right to your opinion that all religious “fundies” are programmed “bots.” However, the OP made an obviously sincere, unthreatening statement to which Dutchman responded favorably. After reading your irrelevant comments, I am now wondering who is really the programmed “bot”. 
            Regardless, I found your opinions interesting and unconvincing but thanks for sharing.

2. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I seem to recall a tremendous ruckus over a group of muslims in an airport demanding that the plane be held while they performed their daily prayer ritual in the middle of the concourse.

It would seem to me that the disruption of the airline schedules all the way down the line as planes come in late and connections missed might be considered an effect on those around them.  As would virtually shutting down a concourse when no one else is allowed to walk through the large group of praying people.

It is one thing to pray silently to yourself, off to one side and inconveniencing no one, it is quite another to require that the world around you shut down to accommodate your fantasies.

2. Abhaque Supanjang profile image72
        Abhaque Supanjangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am programmed.....programmed by Allah Subhanahu Wata 'ala to tell the truth to the world about Islam; to contradict the false and stupid information spread out by the ones whose heart are full of deseases; the ones who know nothing about Islam but talk too much to bad egg Islam.

2. Abhaque Supanjang profile image72

Muslims are suggested to pray wherever they want. At the time they wake up, get up, enter a bathroom, go out from the bathroom, before doing something, go to bed, and so on.... There have been directions for us what to pray from Muhammad Rasululullah Salallaahu 'alaihi wasallam. And in doing sholat, it is such a compulsory one to do it at mosques for the male ones. And if a muslim can not fulfill it, he can do it wherever he is, as long as the place is clean and holy for Islamic Standardization.

3. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please describe your method of prayer.

Why pray to anyone else but allah?

What do you pray?

Does he answer? How?

I know nothing about Muslim prayer.

Thanks. smile

1. arksys profile image84
        arksysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

this is how we clean ourselves before prayers .. ablution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZUP9bv … re=related

this is how we pray... plz follow link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kScrL8m1qMs

1. aka-dj profile image66
          aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see a lot of repetition, and ritual.

Neither repetition, nor ritual, can cleanse the heart of man (or women).
          It can modify behaviour, but not character.

Q. Does Allah answer?

If so, HOW?

How does a Muslim know (for sure) they are righteous, in the right way, and pleasing to Allah?
          The guy made request for for these things. When does he/she reach the "goal"?

BTW, thanks for the links.
          I should have known I can find answers on YouTube1 big_smile

you have a valid point about modifying behaviour, but not character. If you look at the basics of Islam there are 5 pillars of islam.

1. belief in the one God and Muhammad being his messenger
            2. Zakat - giving charity to the poor
            3. Namaz - Prayers
            4. Roza - Fasting in the month of ramadan.
            5. Hajj - Pilgrimage to Mecca - if you have the means

I think all of these put together change both behaviour and character.
            If we need a direction or need to know what is right and what is wrong according to Islam, then we consult the Quran and the Hadith and sunnah... (hadith and sunnah are merged together in the stories of the prophet.)

Quran - our holy book.
            Hadith - you can call them "sayings of the prophet Muhammad"
            Sunnah - how the prophet Muhammad did a certain thing - can get as simple as how he used to cut his nails ... and how he dealt with anger, when a non-muslim came into the mosque and urinated in the mosque in front of everyone.

we can also consult a priest and ask them what the ruling is according to the quran and sunnah (or hadith).

Ok so now your question is HOW?

you can only feel it... you might be able to see it but in most cases only the person who has prayed can feel it.
            from the appearance of the person you will see that he or she will have a radiant face ... there will be an inner glow in that person which most people call "Nour" or light on the face.

the inner feeling ... you will feel in high spirits after you leave the mosque ... you will feel lighter in weight (this is the key) ... and happier and you'll feel ready to take on what ever is coming next.

I'll be honest with you i have felt this before when i was near the age of 20 on a regular basis, only by praying on a friday in the mosque. every friday i thought i had a fresh start ... I was living it, but i only realized it when i lost the fresh feeling that i had done something wrong islamically, and after that day i long for it to happen again but i think my sins have over-weighed my good deeds.

you can tell the guy he will reach the Goal when after every prayer he gets up he feels elevated and refreshed. He will know when it will happen, and it will be a great and joyful moment for him.

but be moderate about it ... any kind of extreme is bad. it takes time patience and dedication. he should remember he has to be a part of this world just as much as the spiritual world. balance it out.

hope that helps.

4. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kinda like affirmations?

2. jreuter profile image79
    jreuterposted 12 years ago

I'm confused...Abhaque merely shares a tidbit of information on his faith and suddenly he is branded a programmed robot and compared to a group of zealous Muslims he doesn't even know?

1. Abhaque Supanjang profile image72

That's the reality jreuter...! That's life....! Sometimes....even, it's often we need talk more to give understanding to those ones who are still blind on what we have comprehended.....!

3. deblevey726 profile image60
    deblevey726posted 12 years ago

If God or Allah as you call Him is Almighty, how is it that you are required to concentrate so to 'send out' your prayers to Almighty Allah?  An 'Almighty' Allah requires no assistance from you. Say instead, "God (or Allah) You alone are Holy.  May Your kingdom be here on earth, and Your will accomplished in all things. Give us, me and all your earthly children those things that You deem necessary for us to glorify Your Name.Keep us holy, give us the strength to resist the temptations of evil. Love us and forgive us, for we are all sinners and in need of Your mercy.  Show us how to love and forgive our enemies. The kingdom of heaven is Yours alone to give, all Power and all glory are Yours alone. Reveal Yourself and Your will to us in a way that we can all understand. Bless us all with Your Presence. Amen"

Hi devlevey,

you are 100% correct that Allah does not need our prayers ... we need our prayers to go to heaven. We pray to Allah for the betterment of ourselves, and our families.

you have the Lords prayer and we have surah Fatiha.

Surah Al-Fatiha
      In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful (1)

Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds, (2) The Beneficent, the Merciful. (3) Owner of the Day of Judgment, (4) Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help. (5) Show us the straight path, (6) The path of those whom Thou hast favoured. Not (the path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray. (7)
      Amen.

we say this surah in every prayer.

And yet you fail to address the Lord directly...? Surely an oversight...

the paragraph is taken from the Quran, it will not be addressed directly because they are Gods words that we agree with.
          after our ritual prayers we sit and raise our hands and ask Allah directly for each and everything we need and want. thats is the time to ask directly. we have 99 names of Allah with which you can call for Allah directly after the obligatory prayer, depending on your situation.

4. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I remember a Muslim woman at work who used to get down on the floor to pray in the middle of the office.  It was quite difficult sometimes to get past her to get to the photocopier, but people pretended not to notice, and simply stepped over her if necessary.  I don't know how she knew which direction to face, but it was always towards the filing cabinet, so perhaps she had a compass.

hi Sherlock,

yes we normally use a compass and face toward our Holy Kaaba in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

What you described about the woman, shows that the woman although trying her best to do right was doing wrong. She should not have been in anyone's way and should have found a spot more secluded.

5. deblevey726 profile image60
    deblevey726posted 12 years ago

Regardless of our religious affiliations, i think we can both agree that Quark is an idiot.

Oh...I'm sorry! I meant Qwark!

I think Qwark is a Bot ... programmed to think against religion.

He probably does not want to live in a world without believers because he will lose his purpose to live.

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)