Is it possible that someone lived over 2000 years?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (34 posts)
  1. davidkaluge profile image56
    davidkalugeposted 12 years ago

I read some verse in the bible and I know most Christians usually believe things the way it is written without thinking deeper into its meaning. that is why they would say " the bible say..." okay jesus said in Luke 21: 32 " Assuredly, I say to you , this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place." in Luke 9: 27 he said, " But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the kingdom of God" we know that it is over 2000 years since he said those words to those that stood with him. Does it mean some of them are still alive til now?

1. profile image60
      mmkn2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe that Jesus Luke 21:32 is meaning that the generation that sees the events described in Luke 21 actually happen, will not pass away before Jesus returns.

Luke 9:27 is a little harder to explain, but you will notice that every gospel account of this statement (Matthew 16:28, Mark 9:1, and Luke 9:27 - I thought John had an account of it as well, but I cannot find it now), is immediately followed by the transfiguration where Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus. It appears all 3 gospel writers, associated the transfiguration with Jesus' statement, and therefore saw the transfiguration as a fulfillment of the statement in Luke 9:27. The transfiguration was a glimpse of Jesus in his heavenly glory, and hence in this sense the transfiguration can be seen as a glimpse of the kingdom of God.

2. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyboyd could live physically for two thousand years, one cannot live even upto two hundred years.

Luke must have understood the things incorrectly.

3. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It means you have to learn what a metaphor is.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. lizzieBoo profile image59
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol oh dear.

5. platinumOwl4 profile image73
      platinumOwl4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

These quotes were   written  by Luke(allegedly) many years after the death of Jesus. The answer to your questions is yes. If you take the statement in context. That would be a type of personality ( in religion it's called a Bible types. Such as a person like Abraham or one of the other prophets. The replication of  an individual's characteristics Hope this will help you..

6. tom hellert profile image60
      tom hellertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

people living over 120 years is unlikely- BY any means we have at our disposal these days- unless someone has found the fountain of youth or the holy Grail- i don't think so...i dont care what anything says - life as you and I are experiencing it might last 120 years at most- but as it has been postulated here - does the bible relate to the "lifH" as ithe life of the spirit of a person could go on for 1000's of years- maybe  the soul reincarnates... and comes back agin and again for 1000s of years-
      TH

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

From what Jesus said, it would seem that he believed the coming of God's kingdom would happen during the lifetimes of the generation then living.  It was believed that the battle of Armageddon would soon take place to be followed by the resurrection of the dead.  It was only as time passed, that it became obvious that this was not actually going to happen, and the development of the Church came to be seen as God's kingdom on Earth.

3. Jessicablox profile image40
    Jessicabloxposted 12 years ago

For me.. A person can live for 2000 years in our hearts only.. Not really.. Like Jesus..

4. davidkaluge profile image56

I do not understand how the transfiguration is related to what Jesus said or to the kingdom of God. Secondly, his disciples thought they would see his return but they died without his return. The point is that people just have to learn not to accept every word as it is written without knowing what the writer had in mind. The writer may express his view but the problem is that its God's word so not Luke's words. There are a lot of questions we can ask from that verse but the answers will differ.

5. DoubleScorpion profile image79
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

I am curious of something... If Jesus did come back, would the "christians" even recognize him as such? As it stands right now, they can't even agree on the true meaning of the bible which is supposed to be the "word of god".

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the number that would accept him would be miniscule. But, if he turned out to be real, how many would anyway? I think we've all developed an idea of what spirituality means. If someone came in from a different angle than we were interested in accepting we'd  probably shrug and assume they didn't know what they were talking about.

Look at who he was supposed to be. The son of a common laborer, no formal education, no money. No interest in finding followers, just a guy walking around spreading a message. How far would a messenger like that get in the world today?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image79
        DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!!! That is the point I was wanting to get across. I am of the opinion that there will be alot of disappointed "believers" when death comes calling.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If there is no afterlife, when exactly will believers be disappointed?

I never said there was or wasn't an afterlife. Just that when death comes calling there are going to be alot of disappointed people. The majority of which would be the "believer" types.

And it goes without saying, that if we just die and that is it, then there would be nothing felt.

If there is in fact a "heaven" or some other paradise, then there is going to be some disappointed or PO'd people when it comes to who made it or didn't.

2. profile image0

I think their disappointment is going to lie in the fact that can't lord an 'I told you so' attitude. I've seen some posts here where they are actually anxiously anticipating waiving at us as we march to hell.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
            MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think:

DoubleScorpion wrote:
            Exactly!!! That is the point I was wanting to get across. I am of the opinion that there will be alot of disappointed "believers" when death comes calling.

implies that the hope of being proven right is on both sides.

1. profile image0

Did you doubt? Of course everyone would like to be right on the question of what happens after death.

6. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

Many things in this world we'll never understand so it could happen but its unlikely!

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

They will be dead, and so incapable of disappointment.

You are correct, if there is no heaven or hell (afterlife). <shrugs> who knows for sure

8. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years ago

NO !

9. Randy Godwin profile image62
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Jesus was supposed to be a great military leader, according to the so-called OT prophets.  I suppose god changed his mind yet again.  smile

10. davidkaluge profile image56

Who said Jesus should be a millitary leader, I think the Jews expected that the messiah will a  kind of lead them in victory or something like that in war. that was why many of them did not believe in him

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The OT prophets predicted this.  Or rather, the alleged OT prophets.  smile

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

morning Randy big_smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...mornin' KL!...  big_smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image62

Good morning, Kim!  How's life treating you?  smile

11. davidkaluge profile image56

Randy, I know that the OT had different views of a messuah unlike what the Jews saw in the works of jesus. what actually were the views.

1. Randy Godwin profile image62

The OT IS the Hebrew bible, David.  The Jews place no stock in the New Testament because of the rather suspicious and self fulfilling nature used by the NT authors, whoever they were.  No real historical evidence for any of the NT claims of the messiah ever existing at all may have something to do with it.

The claims of Joseph traveling to Bethlehem to pay taxes do not agree with Roman historical documents.  The anonymous NT authors all used incorrect information to base their fictional records on and others used theirs. 

Reputable historians do not mention Jesus anywhere in their writings.  Nor corpses and darkness during the death of Christ.  I think they may have noticed dead folks wandering the streets and darkness and earthquakes during the day if it were to happen.  All pure fiction.  smile

12. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

No, David. It doesn't mean they lived to 2000+ years of age. They merely subdued ego and awakened their immortal true selves ("souls"), within.

As the great Nazarene teacher said, the kingdom of heaven is within you. Each of us are non-physical, spiritual and immortal sources of creation, but most of us are sleeping. I'm only talking about the spiritual aspect. But as Genesis 6:3 states, we are also flesh -- Homo sapiens. And we are also ego, the source of all evil and the "self" which must be killed before we can gain everlasting life.

The ones standing with Yehoshua would lift off the shackle of ego before their natural bodies died a few decades later. But because the spirit had awakened, when the body died, consciousness would continue; and this is the everlasting life of which he spoke.

13. vtwilli profile image79
    vtwilliposted 12 years ago

I believe it was possible for a person to live for 900 years was possible. When you take into consideration the chemicals and drugs now being ingested by humans it seems unlikely. However, the non-believer will auto-matically use science to despite any biblical reference. The truth is science and the bible goes hand in hand, science has proven many aspects of the bible to be true. Let me explain, The hebrew God Jehovah was a God of miracles, but just as he gives free will to choose he also cannot for ce tings into existence. He had to use clay toform Adam and Adam's rib to form Eve. So why isnt it possible that both the scienctific and biblical accounts of the great flood and the Exodus be true. God had to use nature to bring forth his will. Im getting off point; through nature he allowed man to live for countless years, also now through nature man is being destroyed. I am sure that without chemical pollution, drugs, preservatives, vaccinations, the internet, social influence, and STDs man could still live for ages. My Grand father pasted away last year in September. He was still a firecracker. His health began to fade fast in the last week his life. he didnt have Diabetes, he didnt have heart problems, he did not have cancer or any other illness...he just seemed like he gave up. Human will is extraordinary.

14. davidkaluge profile image56

Lone77star, I understand the point you made however only those in the mystery will understand your concept. Your idea can be used to explain the question but some Christians do not believe in the soul and many do not know how to find the kingdom within and how to awake the sleeping giant.I have an article on this question, maybe it will help them to think deeper as they seek for the answers.Vtwill,the oldest man that lived was less than 1000 yr.old. Randy, you mean Romans didn't record the tax incident?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)