Do you believe in God? If not What do you believe in?

Jump to Last Post 51-58 of 58 discussions (331 posts)
  1. Kimmie Kingsley profile image61
    Kimmie Kingsleyposted 12 years ago

I believe we are spirit (energy) we take a body so that we can have the experience of feeling emotions. I believe in the energy of divinity which i think we all embrace at some point in our journey. I do not believe in Heaven and I do not want to go there. How can we mesure or appreciated our experience without dicomtomy. Most importantly I believe that we are ALL CONNECTED, and currently are becoming more and more disconnect which is at the root of all the problems we are having. We are spirtiual beings having a human experience!

2. mdcarroll678 profile image40
    mdcarroll678posted 12 years ago

It is interesting to read up on some of the arguments of both religion and science. My 2 cents: Science helps us to explain the processes of how we may have gotten here, such as an explosive beginning that started the genetic changes (not quite evolution, but something similar to evolution that allows for differentiation of the various creatures). Religion helps to explain some of those things that we may not fully understand yet (like exactly what may have caused the start of the big bang). My stance is this: I feel that I am correct in following Christianity but know that some processes of evolution do take place such as genetic mutations (but not exactly sure how much truth is in evolutionary and big bang science).

3. Yeshuan profile image57
    Yeshuanposted 12 years ago

I believe that there is a God.  God created this universe through a process that we don't fully understand and probably never will.  I am not a creationist.  My beliefs are more in line with intelligent design.  I believe that God wants us to have a relationship with Him.  And as with anyone, to have a relationship with Him one must accept who He is and what He has done.  The reason He created us is love.  Our goal in life should be to learn how to love.  He has provided many prophets over time to help us grow in love.  Christ was sent to directly show us how.  He showed how to love people where they are in life, is how God loved us.  If I do not focus on loving others and claim to be in a relationship with God, then I am a hypocrite.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't see any difference between creationism and intelligent design in your explanation.

How are they different?

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is the qualitative difference between creationism and big bang?
        Creationism- super natural
        Big Bang- irrational
        Anything more, except that both cannot be explained rationally and both started by religious people?

1. peanutroaster profile image64
          peanutroasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Difference between religious and rational.  The religious claim to have all the answers.  Rational have their curiosity intact and are constantly learning, exploring, understanding.

Religious simply shut off their brains and follow like sheep.

2. Yeshuan profile image57
        Yeshuanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Basically, creationism is based on sacred texts, where as intelligent design is based on science.  For a more detailed explanation, go here:

http://www.discovery.org/a/1329/

This link also has recommendations for books and articles on the subject.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
          Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL Science? LOL For a more detailed lie - go here

http://www.Liars4Jesus.cumt

1. Yeshuan profile image57
        2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Thanks for the link. I got no further than #2 before finding a problem:

Unlike creationism, the scientific theory of intelligent design is agnostic regarding the source of design and has no commitment to defending Genesis, the Bible or any other sacred text. Instead, intelligent design theory is an effort to empirically detect whether the "apparent design" in nature observed by biologists is genuine design (the product of an organizing intelligence) or is simply the product of chance and mechanical natural laws. This effort to detect design in nature is being adopted by a growing number of biologists, biochemists, physicists, mathematicians, and philosophers of science at American colleges and universities. Scholars who adopt a design approach include biochemist Michael Behe of Lehigh University, microbiologist Scott Minnich at the University of Idaho, and mathematician William Dembski at Baylor University.

First of all, there has not been anything "empirically detected in nature" that isn't the product of natural laws. Secondly, as a result of the first, there is no growing number of biologists, biochemists, physicists, mathematicians in the scientific community that are adopting intelligent design, that is a blatant lie. Lastly, Behe's claims of "Irreducible Complexity" and other criticisms of evolution have been refuted.

As well, Behe is a creationist. Minnich and Dembski are not much different, both creationists themselves.

If you think they use science, here's what is said about their theory lectures from other scientists:

"His lectures have been met with criticism by scientists for being half-hearted, lackluster, containing numerous errors and distortions, lacking positive evidence for intelligent design, and for evading questions"

No intelligent design scientific papers have been accepted as it found in the Dover trial that "intelligent design had not been tested by the process of being published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal and was not supported by any peer-reviewed research, data or publications."

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/behe.html

http://www.philoonline.org/library/shanks_4_1.htm

1. Yeshuan profile image57

All theories have flaws, which is why there is room for debate.  I recognize everything you just pointed.  My beliefs are similar to ID.  The more I learn about the world and the universe the more it makes sense to me that there is intelligence behind its coming into being.  I have learned enough from science to see that the Biblical account of creation is not accurate.  However, considering the complexity of the universe and the chances of it all coming together for life to happen, I cannot accept it all happening by random chance.  Can I prove it to you, no.  This is simply what I believe.

But, that doesn't make the theories wrong.

I know you can't prove it to me. I also know you can't provide a shred of evidence to support your beliefs in ID.

Evolution, on the other hand, has mountains of evidence that does explain life. Obviously, you haven't learned anywhere nearly enough science to make that judgment call of not accepting the explanations and evidence in favor of embracing a belief in ID.

Your right, it is simply what you believe.

4. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

I believe in the Creator God; He has created me while I never existed; so I believe in Him.

5. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

No I don't believe in a magical puppet master.  What do I believe in?  I believe we don't have all the answers but through the process of elimination we can certainly rule out some kind of "intelligent" creator.

The universe and earth are simply to perilous to humans to believe that it was "created" just for us.

6. Crosseyed profile image61
    Crosseyedposted 12 years ago

http://crosseyed.hubpages.com/hub/apologia

Stay tuned for some great philosophical discussion on Christianity. Intelligent design is a much better answer to the questions science brings up that agnosticism or atheism is. There will be more posts on the above Hub soon.

Intelligent Design is just Creationism wrapped up in a disguise of dishonesty and delusion. Good luck with that.

2. peanutroaster profile image64
      peanutroasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ID isn't all that intelligent. Rather its an attempt to make a square peg fit in a round hole. It starts with a conclusion and then trying to make all the evidence contrary to that conclusion fit by pseudo science and make believe.

7. peanutroaster profile image64
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

Your religious is based on nothing more than the environment you happened to be born in.  Luck/unluck of the draw.

Its like this class warfare nonsense.  Those born with a silver spoon in their mouth and Daddy's trust fund don't see what all the fuss is about from people trying to scratch away a living on the bottom rungs.

8. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Do you believe in God? If not What do you believe in?

I do believe in the Creator God; there is no reason as to why one should not believe in Him; undoubtedly He is the ONE and only ONE Creator of this Universe and whatever is in it; there is no associate with Him; He has no wife , no daughter  and no son; He doesn't need one; there is none like Him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)