jump to last post 1-50 of 97 discussions (162 posts)

Attn Scripture Slingers:

1. Jonathan Janco profile image80
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

We should have a contest. I've seen a lot of bad blood lately on the Religious forums between believers and non-believers, and I think the time has come for a friendly competition that will be fun and it will help us all learn a thing or two about scripture.
    Here is how it works. We have white shirts vs. black shirts. The white shirts score by posting scripture passages that reinforce the belief that scripture is God's word. The black shirts score by posting scripture that points out anomalies, ironies and other departures from what we think of as Judeo-christian ethics. 3 points for every post. And if I appear with a Jesus quote from scripture, that means the poster that is quoted has commited a foul.
    There are three ways to commit a foul:
    1. Passages from Old & New Testaments only; not aporyphals, no Koran, no Dead Sea Scrolls, no Vedas, no Darwin, no Asimov and no Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    OT & NT only.
    2. You may not add additional comments to your scripture passage. The passage must stand on its own.
    3. If additional comments are made with your passage that include blatant insults, not only does that entry not count, but you also lose a point.
    We will do this until the topic is closed. The winning team gets to be enraptured on October 21st, and the losing team has to live out their lives as the gold-mining slaves of the Annunaki and Draconians. Oh and also, before your first entry, you might want to formally announce your team loyalty (white shirt=believer; black shirt=non-believer).
    Good luck everybody!

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here is your first entry for the "White team" Genesis:2:21-22;  And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took on of his ribs and closed up the flesh there of; And the rib which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman and brought her unto the man.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image82
      IntimatEvolutionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There is only bad blood here at Hubpages.  I am part of several different forums much like this one..., and it's only this here.  The personalities of the other forums is much more respectful, calmer and relax.

Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is merely a friendly competition, I assure you. The stakes for the winner and loser of the competition are fictional . . . satirical, if you will.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image82

Deleted

Im totally laid back, here. Just making sure you didnt have the wrong idea.

And that's how you go about it?hmm

Whatever....

1. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Look on the bright side. Anyone who participates is reading scripture. Maybe we'll run across something profound and we'll convert from the dark side. smile

But seriously, I think everyone so far is participating tongue in cheek.

wink

3. DouglasTull profile image61
      DouglasTullposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"White" 1 Kings 17:24
      And the woman said to Elijah, "Now I know that you are a man of God, and that the word of the LORD in your mouth is truth."

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

lol I want to play. It sounds like fun. I just need to hunt down a Bible. I love this idea. smile

The Bible is public domain. Just cut and paste online.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/

1. profile image0

Ok. And I want to be on the black team. I usually root for the underdog, but for this one I'll take the other side. I'm off now to find some ammo. smile

What makes you think that the white team are the underdogs in this?

Does that mean you're suiting up for the white shirts, Dave?

Not merely suiting up. I posted my first scripture for the white team.

And we're underway!

Dave Matthews opens the scoring for the first day.

W: 1

B: 0

2. Cagsil profile image59
            Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Logic says that the "black" team would be the underdogs, simply because those who are "Christian" and/or "Muslim", already claim "truth" and a superior position in understanding scripture.

3. profile image0

I was just joking Dave. This will be fun, if I can find something to post. It's harder than I thought.

3. Jonathan Janco profile image80

Ok. That's one for the black shirts. Hope someone else will get in so we have an actual team vs. team thing here.

4. DoubleScorpion profile image87
    DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago

I'll play as I can. I guess I will have to play on the Black shirt side, as I don't agree with the Christian/Judao point of view.

PS: Another good source for an online bible is found here: http://onlineparallelbible.com/

Okeedokee, that's two for the black shirts. We're hoping the white shirts will suit up for this one, but just like in cricket, its not going to be a big deal if one team has the only four hundred points after the first day. And any interpretation of the OT & NT is acceptable, as long as it IS OT or NT.

5. DouglasTull profile image61
    DouglasTullposted 5 years ago

"White Team" Scripture 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

6. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
    Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

7. Jonathan Janco profile image80

W: 2
    B: 1

8. profile image0

Genesis 9:13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

1. DouglasTull profile image61

Proverbs 16:20
      Whoever gives thought to the word will discover good,and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD.

Acts 19:20
        So the word of the Lord continued to increase and prevail mightily.

9. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

I am going to stand on the sidelines and observe and pray for the best! big_smile

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...i'm burnin' in hell...help!...i can't get out!......Satan 6:66

1. stclairjack profile image78
      stclairjackposted 5 years ago in reply to this

its not "kosher" with the rules,.... but i loved it! funnyas hell!

11. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Luke 14:26“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

12. profile image0

Numbers 31:17 King James Version (KJV) 17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

13. Jonathan Janco profile image80

Well, we're tied up at 4 a piece here on the 2nd day. Seems like we now have a few spectators, hostile and otherwise.

14. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

White Shirt: EXODUS:20:1-2 And God spake all these words saying, I am the Lord thy God, which have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

15. profile image0

Not to nit pick, but these scriptures can apparently go both ways. How do you decide if it's a point or not? Some of the posts by the white shirts look like evidence against to me. And I would assume that's vice versa also.

Okay so its 5-4 white shirts' favor.
      And to answer your question EmileR, the point is made in the mind of the individual player posting the scripture, therefore all posts are legitimate according to the rules of the game. If a white shirt posts a verse, it is a point on the believer's side. If a black shirt posts a verse, it is a point for the non-believer/skeptic's side. That is, as far as the rules of the game is concerned. There are plenty of threads in this forum that offer a framework that encourages rational discussion. Whereas this thread is designed to act as an excuse for any believer or non-believer to totally abandon rational discussion and just stick to compettitive scripture posting. With that in mind, EmileR, I do promise you that if I catch anyone referring to another as a 'paranoid delusional' on this thread, they're team will lose a point and the individual will be reported.
      wink

1. profile image0

Okee dokee. But, to be fair, if it's pointed at me it could be half right. I've never been paranoid, but delusional? I get some crazy ideas in my head sometimes. smile

2. Dave Mathews profile image60

There is just one flaw with this little game. (The Whites)Proving God's word through scripture is no problem since the Bible is God's word. That's a given. (The Blacks) using the Bible and God's Word against itself can't be done for God's word can never go against God or against itself. Therefore the "Whites" can't lose and the "Blacks" can never win.
        This is merely an exercise in finding scriptures and maybe a scripture will come up where a Hub can be developed at a leter point. There is nothing in the Bible God's Holy Word that can or will negate the teachings of God by God through His Holy Word the Bible.

16. Jonathan Janco profile image80

I think delusional might one of those setbacks that all of us humans experience.
    lol

17. profile image0

Well, you know what they say. Delusions are as necessary to our hapiness as reality. So, a balanced number probably aren't a set back at all.

Very well said. Therefore is it safe to say those who believe they have no delusions are the most delusional?

1. profile image0

That would be my take on it. smile

18. profile image0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

White

Mat 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19. Jonathan Janco profile image80

Okay its 7-4 white shirts favor. And Dave, this is a game and merely a game. And like I just explained to Emile R, there is no room in the framework of the game rules for rational debate. There are other threads for that. I will happily open a discussion thread after this game has run its course. But until then, let this experiment run its course.

20. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black.

Leviticus 23:3“‘There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the Lord.

21. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black

Exodus 20:10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.

22. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black

Exodus 31:15 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must be put to death.

23. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Deuteronomy 24:1-4

1 If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house,
    2 and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man,
    3 and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies,
    4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the Lord. Do not bring sin upon the land the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance.

Matthew 5:31-32
    31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’
    32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 5:27-28
    27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’
    28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Leviticus 20:10
    10 “‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

24. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black
    Leviticus 20:18
    18 “‘If a man lies with a woman during her monthly period and has sexual relations with her, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them must be cut off from their people.

25. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black

Leviticus 20:21 “‘If a man marries his brother’s wife, it is an act of impurity; he has dishonored his brother. They will be childless.

Deuteronomy 25:5-6
    5 If brothers are living together and one of them dies without a son, his widow must not marry outside the family. Her husband’s brother shall take her and marry her and fulfill the duty of a brother-in-law to her.
    6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel.

1. stclairjack profile image78

these two were good points.

i root for niether side, i am a spectator, i hope its ok to give aplause when a shot lands well

(personaly i'm a white shirt, but i love a cerebral contest)

26. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

White: Post: John:3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

27. Jonathan Janco profile image80

10-8 black shirts favor. There does seem to be a trend of small numbers of players carrying each team.

28. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black

Gen 6:2,4
    2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

29. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 5 years ago

White ,alright

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. (NIV)

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol....jeez - wonder why that came to mind?...just saying hi!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol I have no idea tongue HI back at ya

2. stclairjack profile image78

well played

30. Jonathan Janco profile image80

Black shirts stay ahead, 11-9, despite the fact that Scorp is carrying the entire black shirt team and the white shirts seem to have all of their heavy hitters suited up. Should be an exciting finish.

31. Eaglekiwi profile image73

White

Isiah 14:24:

As I have planned,

so shall it be,

and as I have purposed,

so shall it stand,

32. Jonathan Janco profile image80

11-10.
    I'm beginning to get a real view of this monster I have created.
    wink

Its early days..
      Many posters are in different time zones or perhaps at work or heaven forbid writing hubs lol

Besides Im just here to win a t/shirt lol

Eags, I think I stated the stakes of the contest clearly in the original post. No t-shirts, sorry.

Ye, you did ,just kidding cool

33. Jonathan Janco profile image80

Yes, spectating and applauding are both welcomed.

34. Eaglekiwi profile image73

White:

Romans 8:35,38-39 (Read all of Romans 8)
    New International Version

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?

Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? .
    .. I am convinced that neither death nor life,
    neither angels nor demons,
    neither the present nor the future,
    nor any powers, neither height nor depth,
    nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

35. profile image0
    SirDentposted 5 years ago

White

Eze 5:7  Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye multiplied more than the nations that are round about you, and have not walked in my statutes, neither have kept my judgments, neither have done according to the judgments of the nations that are round about you;

36. Jonathan Janco profile image80

12-11 white shirts favor as Sir Dent continues his clutch hitting.

37. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black
    Numbers 31:17-18
    17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
    18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Numbers 31:21-23
    21 Then Eleazar the priest said to the soldiers who had gone into battle, “This is the requirement of the law that the Lord gave Moses:
    22 Gold, silver, bronze, iron, tin, lead
    23 and anything else that can withstand fire must be put through the fire, and then it will be clean. But it must also be purified with the water of cleansing. And whatever cannot withstand fire must be put through that water.

38. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black

Leviticus 27:1-8
    1 The Lord said to Moses,
    2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate persons to the Lord by giving equivalent values, 
    3 set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel;
    4 and if it is a female, set her value at thirty shekels.
    5 If it is a person between the ages of five and twenty, set the value of a male at twenty shekelsd and of a female at ten shekels.
    6 If it is a person between one month and five years, set the value of a male at five shekelsf of silver and that of a female at three shekelsg of silver.
    7 If it is a person sixty years old or more, set the value of a male at fifteen shekelsh and of a female at ten shekels.
    8 If anyone making the vow is too poor to pay the specified amount, he is to present the person to the priest, who will set the value for him according to what the man making the vow can afford.

39. Jonathan Janco profile image80

Tied up again we are. Tied at 12. Isn't that kind of funny, in a tribes/apostles kind of way. Both teams hovering on the 13th.

Scorp slipped one in. 13-12

40. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black
    Leviticus 27:9-13
    9 “‘If what he vowed is an animal that is acceptable as an offering to the Lord, such an animal given to the Lord becomes holy.
    10 He must not exchange it or substitute a good one for a bad one, or a bad one for a good one; if he should substitute one animal for another, both it and the substitute become holy.
    11 If what he vowed is a ceremonially unclean animal—one that is not acceptable as an offering to the Lord—the animal must be presented to the priest,
    12 who will judge its quality as good or bad. Whatever value the priest then sets, that is what it will be.
    13 If the owner wishes to redeem the animal, he must add a fifth to its value.

41. Jonathan Janco profile image80

14-12.
    My god, scorp, you really can cutnpaste pretty fast

1. DoubleScorpion profile image87
      DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

LOL. I have a PHD in Biblical Studies. So I already know what I am looking for and where to find it. The Cut and Paste is easy. big_smile

Well that certainly is an eye opener. And you're the A Rod of the black shirt team? That's a thirdeye opener.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image87
          DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't agree with the Christian Theory, based off of my studies, I do not believe that they have correctly interpreted the meanings of the bible.(My opinion only) But I really enjoy religious and historical studies. I am currently working on my Masters in Religion. And I am planning to complete a second Doctorate in Theology or World Religions, I am not sure which yet.

That is awesome Scorp.  I believe many misinterpret so much.  I am a believer in Christ, but I believe much of what is taught today is wrong.  It is good to see wise men who are willing to study and educate themselves.  Best of luck to you!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Good servant! lol

42. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black

Genesis 20:11-12
    11 Abraham replied, “I said to myself, ‘There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’ 12 Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.

Leviticus 20:17
    17 “‘If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They must be cut off before the eyes of their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible.

43. DouglasTull profile image61

““But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”” Matthew 16:15-16 NIV

sorry "white"

44. Jonathan Janco profile image80

15-13 black shirts favor.

45. DouglasTull profile image61

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. 14 John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" 15But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. 16And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17and behold, a voice from heaven said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." Matt. 3: 13-17

sorry "white"

46. Jonathan Janco profile image80

15-14. Dont worry Doug. I know what team ur on.

@DScorp. That's a tough choice. I'd go with theology just cuz that would help in studying world religions if you chose to later.

47. DouglasTull profile image61

"white"

17"And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers. 18But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ would suffer, he thus fulfilled. Acts 3:17-18

48. DoubleScorpion profile image87

Black

Luke 3:1-6
    1 In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar—when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, Herod tetrarch of Galilee, his brother Philip tetrarch of Iturea and Traconitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene— 
    2 during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the desert.
    3 He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
    4 As is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: “A voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.
    5 Every valley shall be filled in, every mountain and hill made low. The crooked roads shall become straight, the rough ways smooth.
    6 And all mankind will see God’s salvation.’

Acts 13:24 Before the coming of Jesus, John preached repentance and baptism to all the people of Israel.

Luke 3:21
    When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too.

49. DouglasTull profile image61

"white"
    1Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:
    2"Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? 3 Dress for action[a] like a man;
       I will question you, and you make it known to me.
    4"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
       Tell me, if you have understanding.
    5Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
       Or who stretched the line upon it?
    6On what were its bases sunk,
       or who laid its cornerstone,
    7when the morning stars sang together
       and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Job 38:1-7

50. DouglasTull profile image61

"white"

6Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:
    7 "Dress for action[a] like a man;
        I will question you, and you make it known to me.
    8Will you even put me in the wrong?
       Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?
    9Have you an arm like God,
       and can you thunder with a voice like his?

Job 40:6-9

working