jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

9/11 Cross Memorial

1. 0
    Sherlock221bposted 5 years ago

American atheists have recently been making known their unease concerning the cross made from the wreckage of the World Trade Center, which has been left on display at the 9/11 Memorial Museum.  Atheists believe that the representation of only one religion at the museum, when there were many people who died on that day who were of different religions or of no religion is discriminatory.  Some also consider the fact that the cross is made from the wreckage will be a painful reminder for those who lost loved ones on that day.  Following the appearance of an atheist on Fox News, who expressed their views concerning the cross, there were several posts on Facebook by loving Christians.  Here are some of them:

"I say kill them all and let them see for themselves that there is a God."

"Shoot them. Shoot to Kill."

"Nail them to that cross then display it."

"Shoot em. At least we know where they're going, waste of oxygen."

"that's easy shoot them."

"I think we should hang the leader of that group on the cross with nails through their hands and feet, place a crown of thorns upon their head, RAM a spear through their side all after being whipped and beaten publicly! Just so they can endure what Christ did so they understand the sacrifice behind what the cross symbolizes."

I just can't help wondering what that peaceful Jewish carpenter would make of such comments.

http://www.atheistunderworld.com/2011/0 … -atheists/

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/6423 … o-atheists

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The postings show exactly what religion teaches it's follower.

Blatant ignorance and complete stupidity.

2. 0
      SirDentposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I searched for these posts on Facebook and can't find them.  Drop us a link please.  smile

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

The cross would seem to be made and displayed by the same basic group (Christians) that were soooo offended by a different religions proposed building a couple of blocks away.

What a surprise that an expression of unease at their religious icon would be greeted by such comments.

3. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

Many believers do not know the cross was formerly a pagan symbol "borrowed," like many other myths and stories in the bible, from previous non-christian religions.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A great deal of Christianity was borrowed from pagans in an effort to convince them to become Christian without the need to kill them first.  It is far from just the cross.

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
        Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Correct, Wilderness.  This includes the story of the great flood and of JC himself.  smile

4. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

I, for one, sincerely hope that the people who posted those comments get help for their anger issues whether they are christians or people outside of the christian faith who posted those comments just to cause strife.

Without proof of who said these things, I'm left to give the religion the benefit of the doubt.

5. Edwin Clark profile image84
    Edwin Clarkposted 5 years ago

As a native New Yorker living near the WTC and an athiest I think th cross should be allowed to be placed inside the memorial. I know someone in some sort of atheist association is making a big stink about it and should just really shut up and mind their own business. There are just too many more important issues in the world.

1. 0
      Sherlock221bposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree that it is hardly an important issue.  If this memorial gives some Christians a kind of comfort, then I can't see why anyone would be offended by it.  Is there any recognition of other faiths at the museum?

6. A Troubled Man profile image61
    A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago

For however many crosses are erected throughout the world, one more won't make much difference.

Why not erect a totem pole to acknowledge the incident occurred on native soil?

7. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

I thought the twisted metal remnants that stuck up into the sky looked like the best possible memorial.  A real connection to the incident.  So instead of any faith based thing why not a sculpture of that iconic image?

Shall I tell you why not?  Because for some reason everyone has to buy into, or pretend to buy into the God thing.  I don't get it.  In the UK I think we are largely faithless - is God big in the States?