jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Non-believing Clergy

1. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 6 years ago

Europe has increasingly become a secular society, with atheism relatively high in many European countries. But, there has always been a relgious minority, who have gained comfort from their beliefs.  However, even amongst the religious, there seems in some parts of Europe to be a loss of faith.

This has been made evident by the Rev. Klaas Hendrikse, who is a traditional clergyman, who conducts Sunday service at his Dutch Protestant Church, where hymns are sung, the Lord's Prayer said, and the Bible read.  However, when it comes to his sermons, they include advice to live life to the full, because this is the only life we have, and that God doesn't actually exist.  Further, he states that the New Testament stories of Jesus are about a man, who didn't exist.

The Dutch Church has decided not to single the Rev. Hendrikse out, because his views are all too common within the Church, with 1 in 6 members of the clergy being atheists.

It would seem to make little sense to me, why someone would want to become a member of the clergy, if they do not believe in God.

2. calpol25 profile image74
    calpol25posted 6 years ago

It is a bit hypocritical isnt it?

3. Jerami profile image74
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

The only part o all of that is that they have suddenly been honest about it.

There have always been people lying in order to make a living.

Deceit common in all professions.  People selling that which they do not believe in.  But to be honest about such deceitand still get paid? that is the question.

What is the world coming to?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's going to the hell that "Rev. Hendrikse" doesn't believe in...in a handbasket.

1. Jerami profile image74
        Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hay Brenda ???

Many thanks for your howdy do!

As far as your comment?    I don't know?   Now A Days  YA never know who is doing Gods work, and how they are going about it?    Or even if they know they are doing it?

1. profile image0

Hey Jerami.  smile

Well, it's pretty obvious that a preacher who leads a church in Bible-reading and the Lord's Prayer,  yet who says there is no God,  and especially denies the sacrifice of Jesus, is a false teacher.   That's not doing the work of God.   And common sense would tell him that.  So surely that preacher knows he is NOT doing the work of God.

The ones that it's hard to determine are the ones who hide their true feelings and tell subtle lies like the Serpent is known to do.

I sometimes think that I am telling subtle truths.

I think nobody wants a tree in "suddenly" in front of their kitchen window.

"No Body"

1. profile image0

Subtle truths?   That's a good thing, wouldn't you say?

What do you mean, a tree suddenly in front of the kitchen window?  Blocking the view?  You mean no one wants to be shown the truth suddenly, that it should be gradually?   I would think suddenly would prevent a huge waste of time.....

No wasn't talking about blocking the view.
                I rhink that most oten people need a little time to prepare themselves for enjoying the shade and the sound of all them birds tht begin to sing.

Would suddenly prevent a whole lot of wasted time?
                  Maybe? and Maybe not? 

Sometimes, the hurrier we go the behinder we get.

1. profile image0

You're right.
                  But fervency does matter sometimes.  And...when it comes to the seriousness of this topic, time is often of the essence.   Those false preachers can lead souls to destruction....

fervency, That is the way that it always seemed to me that the gospel was being preached during the last lays for that Hebrew Nation that Jesus was teaching.

for  a season later, that nation ceased to exist.

4. Jerami profile image74
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

Getting late going to go fall down in the bed.  good nite

working