jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Question for Those Who Speak for God

1. 0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

You know who you are.  Those who quote the Bible and the Quran in hopes of witnessing for God/Allah.

There was a thread asking if you should expect God to punish you when you disobey.  Many of you said yes, with various explanations as to how he goes about it.

This sounds interesting, in theory.  I was hoping some of you would share experiences you have had that lend credence to this belief. Personal experiences, not your opinion of when others might have been slapped by the hand of God/Allah.

If you could name the incident when you believe you 'sinned', how you were punished and how you knew God/Allah had forgiven you; I would be very interested. Since I've heard this before; but,unfortunately, haven't seen a shred of evidence to lead me to believe that it is true.

I am sincerely interested.

2. brotheryochanan profile image60
    brotheryochananposted 5 years ago

I recall when God was teaching me about tithing - its a state of heart but also 10% is not too much to ask - anyway, this one sunday i held back the tithe because i wanted to buy something else, i forget what it was. I selfishly held back the amount of money and very soon, my vehicle broke down, a couple of other things broke, money went out the window to the tune of double what i would have paid in tithes.
    Today things break down but they are trivial, money accumulates in the bank and i have extra stuff, nice car.. and i give 10% each paycheck to my church.

1. 0
      Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing this. The lack of response confirms my suspicions about who, exactly, people think need to be punished. But, I do respect people who actually live by their professed convictions, whether I agree with their convictions or not. You appear to be one of those people. smile

3. Taleb80 profile image81
    Taleb80posted 5 years ago

One day I made a sin and within days I get a permanent sickness.
    I am till now suffering from pain, but I am satisfied that to get the pain in this life is easier than in the other one.

4. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 5 years ago

My 'punishment' as you call it, is my guilt.  A conscience is a powerful thing and when you know you have sinned, guilt is a painful but important punishment.

5. A.S.K.Preacher profile image61
    A.S.K.Preacherposted 5 years ago

Our future is created in our past. Ever since I was able to work and realize the power of money I wanted to be rich. For 30 years I worked to obtain that "freedom." Get rich quick schemes, overtime that sucked the life out of me and even thought about wrong ways to acquire money.
    Now I have not had a job in several years and am having to dig into our retriement.
    At first I was angry about this, but since Jesus brought me to Him I have realized I had to be brought to this state in order to be saved.
    As with any growth; there is growing pains. I have experienced mine. There are more examples I could give my life has been full of this kind of correction, but I very much doubt there are any who would be interested in my life story.

6. 60
    smriti2101posted 5 years ago

Whenever we commit a mistake, how do we know it was actually a mistake. Because it agrieved somebody,it hurt somebody. Once their is a realisation of the mistake, begins the journey of conscience. This conscience makes us realise our wrongdoing. If we realise our mistakes and commit not to repeat them their is no need for any manifestation of punishment. The realisation does not come easy.Once it there God never believed in an eye for an eye.That is why He is God.
    Lack of realisation calls for trouble.

7. A Troubled Man profile image60
    A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago

I think the whole reward/punishment scheme with religions in general doesn't allow believers to develop morals and ethics as they always must rely on being spoon fed what is right and wrong. The Bible (or Quran or whatever) confuses them as it teaches a number of commandments that people would never do, killing their children for talking back, for example, so believers can never really tell if their actions are moral and ethical or not.

If not, then they assume to get "punished" which is about as effective as peeing into the wind.